Author Topic: Weight Gain from Beta Blockers?  (Read 5063 times)

Offline sandrah65

• Wide Eyed
Weight Gain from Beta Blockers?
« on: April 30, 2007, 12:49:06 PM »
Has anyone gained weight from taking Beta-blockers?? ???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 05:23:41 AM by healthybratt »

Offline helovesme

• Learning
    • Our Weekend to Remember group page
Re: Weight Gain from Beta Blockers?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
I was on enderol (sp?) for migraines, and one of the cautions was possible weight gain.  Off it now for that reason, and b/c it made me so sleepy.

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
Don't beta-blockers interfere with calcium absorption? 
It's pretty commonly known that you have to have sufficient calcium in order to lose weight.

Offline Bamagirl

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »
I have often wondered this myself.  My husband takes Toprol and has been for over 10 years and he's gained a good bit of weight (probably 75 lbs).  I've been thinking it is the medicine as it keeps his heart rate at around 60-70 and he has to really, really do some vigorous running to even get his rate up.  Would love to find some herbs to help him come off his meds (3 bp pills, cholesterol, and acid pill), but he doesn't really think they would work, so what to do???  We have tried to even ask doctors about changing the type of blood pressure medicine to something that isn't a beta blocker, but because his heart went into A-Fib several years ago, they want him to stay on it.  It sure does make it hard for him to lose weight though.  He has done all the things they say cause men to drop pounds (drinking lots of water, no drinks, cut the sugar in half for his sweet tea, he doesn't like sweets, and he loves to snack on veggies and vinegar???  :-\) So, I say it pretty much has to be his medicine.  Glad someone else has thought of this too!

Offline Sassafrass

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
Got some answers, since I have been on Toprol XL for 20 years, at the ripe old age of 46.
Beta blockers DO slow the metabolism, something they are NOT quick to tell you when you are put on them. My problem is chronic tachycardia, with a natural resting heart rate of about 140. Since I am so revved up, the beta blocker only bump my heart rate down to 80 BPM. A resting heart rate of 60 is too low on the average person, since it is common among athletes.
I have kept my weight down to my normal 105, since I am a small person.
My own regimen includes cayenne supplements, twice a day. This is good for circulation as well.
I take the spoonful of honey and vinegar in warm water every morning. Gets me revved for the day. And when I feel like I am eating too many carbs, I use a carb blocker made from bean extract. It is called phase 2 .
Please get him back to your Md to see if he is on too many meds.

Offline Sassafrass

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
Sorry, forgot to add that I eat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day.

Offline Bamagirl

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 01:58:41 AM »
Please get him back to your Md to see if he is on too many meds.

He won't go back to the doctor until he is ready for his next checkup.  He is fine with the meds he is taking.  Maybe one day he will agree to try some natural stuff  :)