Author Topic: Do you make your own homeade cloth diapers?  (Read 23619 times)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
Do you make your own homeade cloth diapers?
« on: April 30, 2007, 11:08:20 AM »
I have been looking into that some.  Today  I found where someone bought 2 G-diaper covers and put chamois (the kind you dry your car with)  in them instead of the liners that were disposable.  They said they never leaked, and I guess they worked well.  That made sense to me.  Chamois, especially synthetic Chamois is very very absorbant.  Some will hold 10-15x its wieght in liquid, and chamois is not bulky, but thin.

What patterns, and fabric do you use to make your own diapers?  Buying the fitted or AIO (All IN ONES) are so expensive.

Nickole

Re: Do you make your own homeade cloth diapers?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:25:12 AM »
I know mamacat makes her own and they are very impressive!!!   

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »
I know mamacat makes her own and they are very impressive!!!  
Who is mamacat? Does she have a pattern. I need to learn to make some ASAP.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:40:34 AM »
I went to google and up came several sources including this one!

my free diaper patternMy Free Diaper Pattern! Are you looking for a free diaper pattern? Do you want to learn to make fitted cloth diapers? Are you looking for a frugal solution ...
www.geocities.com/myfreediaperpattern/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 11:45:27 AM »
I have found alot of free diaper patterns, and lots of ideas...with recycled materials, ect.  Some poeple make wool covers out of sweaters from Goodwill!  Its fun to see how cheap and cute you can make them.

I basically want a good as disposable system that doesn't leak, and I don't want to have to change them every 1/2 hour!! or hour!!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 04:13:03 PM »
I went to google and up came several sources including this one!

my free diaper patternMy Free Diaper Pattern! Are you looking for a free diaper pattern? Do you want to learn to make fitted cloth diapers? Are you looking for a frugal solution ...
www.geocities.com/myfreediaperpattern/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

I am probably going to be needing to make some until I die or Jesus returns LOL.... They are not for me. Because I am doing this long term I need them to be economical but very nice looking too... I have never made diapers before. I have used them on my own children but always got them second hand and didn't care what kind they were or what they looked like. I am going to check out that link another time because it says that that site can't be accessed right now.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 06:00:27 PM »
I think this is a fabulous resource for making your own cloth diapers:
www.diapersewing.com The lady says she's been "out of the loop" for a while, but she still has all the information needed and more. She has step by step pictures for all of the different kinds of diapers, links to free patterns, where to buy supplies, etc.

I made a couple of pocket diaper prototypes but never got serious. I made a doll diaper first--very cute. :-) I highly recommend the clear elastic (sometimes called "lastin.") I found it much easier to work with than woven. Stretch it longer than you think you need to as you sew it. I bought some online first, but then found more at either WalMart or JoAnn Fabrics.

Oh yeah, and if you mark the PUL with a ball point pin, make sure you mark it on the inside. :-) oops.
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 07:44:42 PM »
I made my own diaper wipes. I bought a couple yards of the cheapest flannel that WalMart had. I think I cut three across the folded width so they were 2-ply. Then I sewed around the edges, clipped the corners, turned them, and then three-step zigzagged around the four sides. I use them with plain water, wetting them just before I use them. They work great--I find they clean much better than wet paper towels, and don't irritate skin like the ingredients of commercial wipes do.
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 07:17:13 AM »
I think this is a fabulous resource for making your own cloth diapers:
www.diapersewing.com The lady says she's been "out of the loop" for a while, but she still has all the information needed and more. She has step by step pictures for all of the different kinds of diapers, links to free patterns, where to buy supplies, etc.

This is perfect...just what I was looking for. Nice photos and everything.
Visit my-

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:50:08 AM »
Ok, to all you diaper sewing mothers out there. I've been experimenting making cloth diapers. I've made a couple out of flannel, and some out of some prefolds that I had. Well, I just bought some PUL so that I could make some AIO's. Yesterday, I tried making just a cover first, before trying the AIO's. I  don't have a pattern, I've just kind of made my own, making a few adjustments on one I found online.    :-\
Ok, so it's just a basic diaper shape, with velcro to fasten it. And I got the fold over elastic so that I don't need to use binding or anything. I made it, and it looks pretty good. I was feeling proud of myself as I put it on my baby. Well, the first time she peed, the liquid went right through the elastic area.  ??? I don't know if it came through the elastic, the thread, or just the holes made from sewing on the elastic. I know people make covers like these, so what's the trick? How do you keep the wetness from coming through? Any advice would be so appreciated, I'm not a very experienced seamstress. I really want to get this figured out so I can stop using disposable diapers. Thanks, Andrea  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »
Ok, to all you diaper sewing mothers out there. I've been experimenting making cloth diapers. I've made a couple out of flannel, and some out of some prefolds that I had. Well, I just bought some PUL so that I could make some AIO's. Yesterday, I tried making just a cover first, before trying the AIO's. I  don't have a pattern, I've just kind of made my own, making a few adjustments on one I found online.    :-\
Ok, so it's just a basic diaper shape, with velcro to fasten it. And I got the fold over elastic so that I don't need to use binding or anything. I made it, and it looks pretty good. I was feeling proud of myself as I put it on my baby. Well, the first time she peed, the liquid went right through the elastic area.  ??? I don't know if it came through the elastic, the thread, or just the holes made from sewing on the elastic. I know people make covers like these, so what's the trick? How do you keep the wetness from coming through? Any advice would be so appreciated, I'm not a very experienced seamstress. I really want to get this figured out so I can stop using disposable diapers. Thanks, Andrea  :)

BUMP Anyone?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »
There is sooo much inforamtion on Mothering.com/discussions.  If you go towards the bottom of the page, youll see a forum called Arts and Crafts, and under that there are several? subforums. One of them is diaper making.  I think there are hundreds of pages of posts answering almost any diaper-making question you can think of!!!

Also another good one, Diapersewingdivas.com.  Go to the main page and scroll down to diaper talk forum.

You should get your  answer before too long if you post on these forums!!

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 03:21:56 AM »
Hi smileyface, it could be the holes from the needle.  It could also be the kind of thread you used.  Cotton or cotton blend thread will soak up moisture and get clothes wet.  Polyester or nylon thread don't do that.  I haven't sewn covers with PUL (just never gotten around to it after buying the PUL), but I have a couple that I bought.  I've found that I have to make sure to have enough layers of  cloth to soak up the wetness or is can come through the PUL (not sure how it does that).  Too much wetness + not enough cloth to soak it up = wet baby clothes.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:59:42 AM »
I agree!  It takes a lot of fabric to soak up the pee a baby can produce.  Remember, the disposable diapers are made from superabsorbant materials, and they have a very different absorbancy system.  When using cloth diapers, you will find that -bulk- really counts, expecially overnight.

You will need to change your baby often with cloth diapers.  Seems like diapering was happening every hour for a long time, but they do start going longer between pees as they get older.   ;)   big, bulky thing! 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 05:44:32 AM »
Thought this link might be helpful for those who are wondering what to use as the absorbant material in their diapers.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=358176&highlight=fabric+absorbancy+cheat+sheet

Offline HannahnSamuel

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 04:27:30 PM »
Hi Ladies! I know that this is a little bit old... but just in case anyone is still wondering about a great resource for making your own cloth diapers, I hit the jackpot!! :) Here's a FANTASTIC link with great ideas:
http://www.fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html

About the "leaky legs" (also an old post, I know, but for what it's worth): I've learned the hard way that you have to make sure your PUL or other waterproof outer layer comes up a wee bit onto the inside layer of the dipe. Also, maybe there would be a way to tack the elastic on the ends w/o having to sew through all the layers? Not sure... I'll have to brainstorm. :) I know some babies are too sensitive skinned to have the outer layer touch at all, though, so in that case, I'm not sure what to do? Maybe just a prefold and wrap would be the best way to go there.
Help me, kind Heaven, to know the way
From out the tangle of each day,
To guide him safe to manhood's prime,
And all the glory shall be Thine.
- M.E. Piatt

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 02:09:20 AM »

Just an update, in case anyone else has this problem. The cover I made works fine now, I just had to dry it to get the holes to close back up. The thread I used was cotton coated, mostly polyester. It doesn't seem to wick moisture anymore, so I don't know if the cotton just wore off from washing it or what. Sometimes if the diaper gets really wet, the cover will leak a little through the elastic area. But it works pretty well, I even use it at night. Now I've been making all in one diapers with the PUL, and it is working out great! I've finally got it figured out, haven't had to use disposable diapers in a few weeks.  ;D And they are really easy to make.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »
This may or may not be the dumbest idea ever (let me know if it is) but I have been seeing those commercials for the super absorbant cloths (Zorbeez) and have been contemplating buying some to make diaper inserts. I guessing that I wouldn't want it right next to the baby's skin, though. So what should I cover it with?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 10:13:19 AM »
This may or may not be the dumbest idea ever (let me know if it is) but I have been seeing those commercials for the super absorbant cloths (Zorbeez) and have been contemplating buying some to make diaper inserts. I guessing that I wouldn't want it right next to the baby's skin, though. So what should I cover it with?

WR

Ihad that idea a while back and looked into buying those super absorbant cloths. I read of one woman who used them in the G-diapers, I think against her babies skin.  But they tend to be hard and drying on the skin, so a soft cloth would be good over top!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »
THESE "insert socks" were posted on the gDiapers thread. I'm thinking they would work great! No sewing involved; just cut the absorbant cloth to size and stuff it in the "sock". Maybe cut two layers of the cloth and stitch them together - depending on how fast they dry and how bulky they are.

WR
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:57:25 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »
Ok,

I was wondering if anyone has used flannel sheets to make diapers?  I looked at the frugal diapering website, and it mentions it, but does not go into detail.

I can get sheets much cheaper than flannel baby blankets (1-1.50 each at a thrift store v. $3 for any size flannel adult sheet)
So, I want to know this:

Have you used sheets to make diapers?
How absorbent are they?
How many layers did you need?
How many diapers were you able to make out of one sheet?

Thanks for any help on this!

blsd2bhome

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 03:49:22 AM »
I did at one time use a flannel sheet to make diapers for one of our toddlers, they worked just fine.  They were just as absorbent if not more than regular flannel diapers.  As for how many diapers i got out of it I think I got 4 but could have had more (I only needed them for night time).  It would depend upon what type of diaper you are making.  And I used 8 or 10 layers.  HTH

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 04:36:32 AM »
I use diaper wraps and pocket diaper wraps. Diapers are inserts for these.

I went to a local fabric outlet type place and bought some unbleached hemp fleece. You need to wash it before you sew because it will shrink a great deal.

I simply used a diaper insert as a pattern. I made a cardboard pattern from that insert and I also made a pattern of the doubler that I use sometimes.

These cardboard patterns were traced around all over the fabric. I carefully cut them out and zigzagged the edges together (no turning of fabric) and I also put a stripe or two through the middle of the diaper to sort of "quilt" it and keep the layers in place. I believe I made them 3 and 4 layers thick.

They work great! They dry well and are really soft.

I also bought some polarfleece in beige and cut long rectangles to use as liners on the inserts occasionally. These liners were cut in such a way to fit nicely on my inserts. This cost me about $1.50 - $2. A great idea- wish I remember where I heard about it.
You just lay it over the diaper and it stays in place. The potty goes through and keeps baby dry. The doody stays on top and makes dumping in toilet very easy and now washing the diaper is easy too. VERY handy when you have blueberry season like right now and diapers are getting stained! LOL! Also really nice for rashes.

I have also made my own wraps using FOE, PUL and Aplix. They turned out real cute.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:38:22 AM by H0MEFree »

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 04:51:17 AM »
Thanks ladies, that helps!

Homefree:  about how much did you pay for the hemp fleece?  I am trying to get my cost down to under $1 a diaper, but just don't know how feasible that really is!  I have it in my mind that new fabric will cost more than buying something used, but maybe by making inserts, that will cut costs?

What would be a realistic cost for making diapers?  covers?

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 07:09:43 AM »
Thanks ladies, that helps!

H0mefree:  about how much did you pay for the hemp fleece?  I am trying to get my cost down to under $1 a diaper, but just don't know how feasible that really is!  I have it in my mind that new fabric will cost more than buying something used, but maybe by making inserts, that will cut costs?

What would be a realistic cost for making diapers?  covers?

For inserts--
 The hemp fleece I bought was a huge tube (sort of two-ply if layed down) so I am not sure how you would compare costs. It also was bought at an outlet type store. Seems like I paid $6 a yard, but it was almost 3 years ago when I did that.  Also, it depends on how many layers of hemp you are using for the inserts. I doubled mine so that would mean 4 layers.

For wraps/covers--
 I have no real ideas on prices for overall on each wrap. I DO KNOW that I shopped around a lot for best buys and DiaperCuts seemed to be the best for PUL and FOE. Especially when considering shipping into it. Buy lots more extra than you think you'll need, especially of the FOE and aplix.
I do not think $1 a wrap is realistic. That is something I would like to see! LOL! Probably more realistic would be $3-$5. PUL can get spendy if your heart is set on patterns or colors and that will affect the costs.

For making wraps/covers--
 I bought FOE, Aplix and PUL online from DiaperCuts.
FOE can be tricky to get right when working with it and getting good gathers on gussetts or around the tummy or behind. You need to not stretch when clearing the tab area and such. It does take practice. I recommend you practice with cheaper PUL (like white) when making your first couple wraps.

Another thing I did that I was really happy with- see if I can explain this... I took the soft Aplix and ran about 4 inches across tummy area and zigzagged edges. I did a straight line through middle of it for security. Then for the tabs- I sewed a square of rough-side aplix on inside of tab, really well. The cool trick is that I cut a soft-side Aplix square to match it and sewed it to the soft square but only on one side of the square. This way the rough part can be separated from the soft square to attach to the tummy during baby use and then re-attached to the soft square tab for washing purposes. Make sense?

Diaper cover pattern (free):
http://www.ottobredesign.com/en/print/pdf/vaippa_en.pdf (I used this one)
http://www.geocities.com/rew4birth/Diapers.html
http://mayna.livejournal.com/198548.html
http://www.diapersewing.com/cover_with_snaps.htm
http://www.geocities.com/gabrielbaby1/fuzzibunz.html (like FuzziBuns)

Diaper making supplies:
http://www.diapercuts.com/store/Default.asp
http://verybaby.com/
http://www.cheeptrims.com/store/subcategory.asp?SubCategoryID=18 (FOE with print designs)
http://www.wazoodle.com/cgi-bin/catstore.cgi (FOE colors)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:16:58 PM by H0MEFree »

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »
THANK YOU!

Those sites are fantastic HOMEfree!
I was not going to make fitted diapers, but those look so simple (I am definitely a visual learner) that I am going to have to try them!

Under $5 for a cover is still a good price, I am looking for wool sweaters right now to make a few wool covers-they would be free (except the time in making them).

What do you like about using inserts rather than just a fitted diaper?  Have you ever used anything else?

Thanks for all your help!

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »

Any all-in-one diaper pattern or fitted diaper pattern should work for making a diaper wrap.

The reason that I like wraps is because you can re-use the wrap several times without needing to wash it. Using this method I only use 2-3 wraps a day. You just remove the insert and put a fresh one in there at each change!

You could take these patterns and tips from above and sew a diaper into it, but I like being able to switch out the insert a few times before needing to wash the wrap.

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
I just saw this thread and wanted to know if any of you ladies make t-shirt diapers.  They are sometimes called tie nappys.  These are diapers that you don't sew and have their own ties attached, so no pinning or velcro or snaps or anything.  I've been doing this for a few months and I love it.  My sister-in-law sent me the directions and although it is kind of hard to explain, it is very easy to make.  I have altered the original pattern a little to be able to sew inserts inside, instead of just laying them inside.  They aren't very pretty, but are very economical (in fact the only thing I have paid for so far is the plastic pants to cover them with).  I am not a very good seamstress so I know that they could be made to look very nice if some sewing was done.  I just really don't care because they're covered by a cover anyway.  I have not had them leak through the cover at all in the whole time I have been doing it.

I am not sure where she got the directions, so I can't link to a website, but I have a pdf file and if any of you are interested, pm me and I can send you that file. 
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline Joyfulmomto9

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
I love this thread!  Especially the pictures of the diapers.  I just made a bunch of cloth diapers and put a how to tutorial on my blog  here is the link if you are interested.  http://momtomanyarrows.blogspot.com/search/label/cloth%20diapers

There are so many great links out there for help making diapers here is another one I like as they have a great AIO pattern on there http://www.celticclothswholesale.com/fabrics_49/Free-Medium-All-in-One-Pattern.htm 

I am in the middle of knitting wool covers.  I got a free pattern from Ottobre for knitting a cute and simple cover.