Author Topic: Why do YOU go to the chiropractor?  (Read 13316 times)

Offline firecattx

• Adept
Why do YOU go to the chiropractor?
« on: April 23, 2007, 06:19:11 PM »
I have never been to a chiropractor and still don't know how comfortable I feel about it. I would like to hear various reasons for going and whether or not you feel it helped. Thanks!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
Re: Why do YOU go to the chiropractor?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:28:54 PM »
Well, I've gone for various reasons. The first time I was pregnant and threw my back out. Then some old neck injuries were resurfacing and I'd wake up unable to move my neck. Now I go because I'm pregnant again and I have a lot of pelvic floor and hip pain. My chiropractor has helped me with all of these issues...if it wasn't for my chiropractor I'd practically be crippled! I know for me if I don't get my issues dealt with right away they would not get better. I've put off going to the chiropractor for a week thinking "Oh, I'll get better." I don't get better without help. So that's my story. I recommend it to anyone who has back or neck trouble, or anything spinally related. I haven't used it for other health issues but I'm considering it!

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »
...if it wasn't for my chiropractor I'd practically be crippled!

Amen to that, sister!  I have scoliosis, an abnormal side-to-side curvature of the spine.  One hip is higher than the other, one leg shorter, the ribs spread on one side.  If you saw my x-rays, you would believe me to be very deformed looking.  Yet, most of the time, and in the right clothes, no one seems to notice.  Before I went, I had lots of back pain, neck "cricks", and sometimes walked with a limp because my hip seemed out of joint.  I have been going every week for about 9 years now.  I have very little back pain, no more neck cricks at all, and rarely have any trouble with my hip.  Last year, our relatively new family doctor did a chest x-ray and told me later he was astonished to know I was in no pain from my scoliosis, which he called, "...quite remarkable."  My Lord Jesus and my chiropractor get all the credit!

I know you didn't ask about anyone else, but I have to tell you about my parents.  Frequently my mom's back would go out, usually while bending over.  When it did she couldn't straighten up, and would be in pain for a week or so, walking around in a bent-over position.  She started going to the chiropractor and hasn't had any of those episodes since (it's been three years now).  When she first started going, my dad would bring her to the chiro's office and wait for her.  One day my mom told the staff that she and dad had just come from an ENT's office; due to a bad case of "the crud", dad's ears were full of fluid and his eustachian tubes blocked.  The crud had been gone about a month, but dad's ears were so bad  he had lost 90% of the hearing in one ear and 40% in the other (they tested it at  the ENT's office).  The ENT's plan was to puncture both his eardrums to let the fluid drain; there was no mention of unblocking his eustachian tubes.  The staff told dad that the chiro could help with that.  Dad was very skeptical, but he consented to talk to the chiropractor, and then went to a chiropractic orientation session.  Once he felt he understood it all, he consented to treatment, though he says he didn't expect much, even then.  By the fourth adjustment (he was getting 3 per week at the time) his ears opened up and he could hear just fine.  And guess what?  the chiro found that both my parents have scoliosis, and that my mom has degenerative back disease.  They both go regularly now, though not as often as I do.
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:04:03 PM »
OH! Man I love, love, love my chiro!! Our ENTIRE family goes regularly!! Yep even my baby. In fact, the last 3 babies first trip with daddy alone was to the chiro when they were less than 48 hours old :o NO KIDDING!  Think about the contortions the baby goes through during delivery. Then as they get older, hitting their head, and wrestling, falling off a swing . . .  you get the idea.

If they aren't adjusted now, like my husband and I were'nt, it can cause more problems later with degenerating discs. Every part of the spine is related to the function of an organ, too. So, you just junction better when you're in alignment. 

I will mention there are different techniques - some more effective than others. To find a Dr. near you that does Gonstead check this site:
http://www.gonsteadseminar.com/referral.aspx
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:34:26 PM »
Us too, AgainstTheGrain.  We didn't find out about chiropractic till my 6th child was about 4 years old.  And then, I was the only one who got adjusted.  But after we saw the good results for me, we began to wonder if it would help our 6th with her runny noses.  It did.  By the time out 7th came along, the whole family was going already and we brought her with us.  She got her first adjustment when she was 2 days old. 

I agree about looking for a Gonstead chiropractor.  Ours was not one, till this year.  He voluntarily made the change, because he thought it would be better for his patients.  We can see a difference already, and he has only been practicing Gonstead chiropractic since January!  HTH.
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 02:58:43 AM »
oh, oh, me too me too, we LOVE our Gonstead.  I used to be afraid of chirorpractors but I had some pretty bad back pain, so I went to  a "regular" guy.  He wasn't on my ins so I went until I couldn't afford it.  I was fine awhile and then needed to go back and a friend told me about the Gonstead so I went to him.   He was fine, I really have no complaints BUT then we found another one we like a lot better.  Only bad apart is he is 45 minutes away but we still go to him just not as often as I would like.  AND he is on my ins.  I only have one child that hasn't been.  I took my now 8 yr old boy b/c of bed wetting.  Didn't help that but it did help his allergies and I have a daughter that has "trembling" issues, I think from a fall and she goes and that helps with that.  I'm definitely sold.   ;D  He is the only dr we have seen in the last yr until last week when I had to take my 11 yr old in to see about a lump on his leg. 

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:29:45 AM »
We started going to the chiropractor when my oldest was a toddler with chronic ear infections.  A friend of a friend referred us.  I had had back pain for many years and I actually thought one leg was shorter than the other (turned out to be mild scoliosis).  After two kids, I felt like an old woman and usually couldn't stand up straight first thing in the morning.  My husband had some back problems, too, so we all went.

I was amazed and how quickly I started feeling better.  I started sleeping better, I got sick less often, and I had more energy.  My husband was one of the rare few that felt worse after his first adjustments (achy).  Combined with the difficultly of his schedule and getting to appointments, he finally stopped going.

My daughter started having less ear infections but didn't get rid of them completely until I took her off of milk (at my chiro's recommendation!)  She's no longer going (at my husband's request), but he doesn't mind me going because he knows how great it makes me feel.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:46:44 AM »
Why do I go to A Chiro can be summed up in: OOOOWWWWW!!  ;D.

But I'll give you my full theory on chiro's, first if your going for the first time ask around for one that has a good reputation, just like other medical people all chiro's are not made equally.  I appriciate the chiro we go to because he always gives me exercises to keep me in line and is not just well come back when it goes out mentality.  because I have no chronic conditions I usually end up going after the birth of my children (my pelvis just doesn't seem to come back in line right which is very painful) or other physically traumatic events.

-Heather

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »
MY BEEF WITH THE CHIROPRACTOR:

OK.  My DH and I are frustrated with the chiropractic world in that they never seem to do permanent  good!  DH has wicked back issues.  He goes to the chiro and is somewhat better for a brief time then WHAM!  He's out of whack again.

My theory:  He hurt his back (duh!)  It needs to heal, but cant while he continues to work.  His job has a bunch of aspects that are no good for a bum back.  Ready?

Lifting and moving heavy things.  All the time.  Without capable helpers.
Operating old, run down, heavy machinery.
Running beat up tractor-trailers over less than ideal roads.
On rainy days, he gets to slouch over computers that he is fixing.
(Yes, I know - a very multifaceted job.  My man is THE man!  ;D)

So anyway, after that rant, could someone let me know if it is worth it for him to continue going to the chiro.  Should he go regularly (as in BEFORE his back get really bad)? 

I get frustrated in that it seems as though they only do a temporary fix - and love to have you depend on them.  Is this just the way of the chiro and we need to accept it?  Is there a better way? 
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »
I know what you mean, but a Chiro did fix my Dh and my ds (sorta) I posted about it on my blog...
http://whiterocksplaceat.blogspot.com/2008/07/pain-pickle-and-our-chiropractor.html

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 05:15:09 PM »
Sounds familiar, esposita. :) Having a man who both gets outta whack and can do anything. ;)

Anyway, something that really helped my man was going to a massage therapist, (recommended by a couple friends) only about twice or so, to get loosened up. Then he did several stretching exercises to KEEP those muscles from getting tight again and getting him outta whack. It may not be exactly what your dh needs as my man's problems were often from doing repetitive work such as sanding wood or simply clicking a mouse all day. He'd get tight muscles which put strain on his frame and then when he'd lift something heavy it'd put him out.

But I thought maybe the stretching idea could be helpful. :-\ You can pm for more details if ya want.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »
Same here.

The Man injured his back years ago and it just plain is prone to re-injury.  But he can keep it in place better if he stretches.  In fact he did really well when we were doing the Primary Back Stretch from T-Tapp.

My other suggestion would be for you to goto the appointments with him and watch closely.  Ask questions about how and why the adjustments work.  Take notes in your mind.  If you think your Doc will show you how to do what he is doing, ask him. 

And, The Man says, "If you don't do anything to make your back more healthy, you better keep going to the Chiropractor.  It won't fix itself.  Strengthen your back, do stretches and loose weight if you need to."

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 06:43:30 PM »
I'm going to say the same thing...
Never really was satisfied that  chiropratic  was useful UNTIL I found a family guy who was interested in helping me understand what was happening, what he could do to help, and how I could work with his treatments for a long term solution. WOW! that made it totally worth while. Long term pain relief and ultimately a healthier me - more flexible and toned. Now I am much more willing to spend the time and money on a few consecutive visits knowing that once things are back in place I'll be able to keep them in place myself.
 A good chiro should be recommending some stretches/excercises for recurring problems.

We moved and searched through a slew of new docs until we found another we were comfortable with. If you don't understand what they want to do and they can't explain it until you do - keep looking.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 01:24:26 AM »
I agree w/ the last couple of posts.  I do like a Gonstead chiropractor but even they are not all equal.  The first one I liked but he was a little arrogant in the fact that he just kept adj and adj for something w/ no results(bed wetting)he was nice enough but never really had answers.  C could fix it all.  Now, w/ the next one also a Gonsteader he did xrays but not on children but he told me that he would do maybe 7 adj on Luke and if no change he would quit or we could do xrays to see....it didn't help the BW but it did help his allergies so then we just well, w/ Luke we just stopped going except every now and then for maintenance.  The fellow we see now is truly a teacher.  In fact it can get annoying b/c he takes so much time(well, when you are in the waiting room  ;))but he answers questions and tells you what is going on.  He really thinks, and I agree that Emma needs xrays but he doesn't push.  He is about an hour away so we don't go as often as I would like.  Plus we have to decide, do we just pay or do we "fight" ins and try to get them to "believe" we need to go........ :P That's annoying.  My sisters SIL had back issues and I can't remember if she had surgery or not or if it was the chiro but he told her pushups were the best thing for her back.  My sisters back was hurting and she started doing pushups(the girly kind from the knees)and her back is not hurting anymore.  She never went to the chiro.  But the pushups are strenthening her back and she is able to do more now than when she started.........I wish we could go more b/c I truly believe having your back in alignment helps your overall health.  The chiro is the only dr we have seen in well over a yr.  Well, over two yrs acutally, b/c my "baby" is two.  I took her in once just to meet the dr and no one has been since except for one ER visit.  I wish my chiro could just be my primary..........

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 04:25:17 AM »
A long time ago I went to a chiro who hurt me, thus confirming my fears. Then I had sinus congestion that just would NOT drain and I was fearful that my eardrum would rupture like it had a few months before. I went to a new chiro who uses an adjuster tool (like a pen w/ no ink that clicks and bumps into you to align you - not his hands cracking my back or neck) and I told him point blank, "I'm afraid that you'll hurt me, but I'm more afraid of the pain of a ruptured eardrum." (I also was afraid I would be deaf if it did rupture again, since I was deaf in that ear for a month.)

My chiro said that an adjustment *might* help and if it did it could take 12-24 hours. I tried it. W/in 5 minutes of leaving his office, my sinuses started to drain! I was so happy! I like that clicker much better someone's jerking my neck around.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 07:30:31 AM »
MY BEEF WITH THE CHIROPRACTOR:

OK.  My DH and I are frustrated with the chiropractic world in that they never seem to do permanent  good!  DH has wicked back issues.  He goes to the chiro and is somewhat better for a brief time then WHAM!  He's out of whack again.

My theory:  He hurt his back (duh!)  It needs to heal, but cant while he continues to work.  His job has a bunch of aspects that are no good for a bum back.  Ready?

Lifting and moving heavy things.  All the time.  Without capable helpers.
Operating old, run down, heavy machinery.
Running beat up tractor-trailers over less than ideal roads.
(Yes, I know - a very multifaceted job.  My man is THE man!  ;D)

So anyway, after that rant, could someone let me know if it is worth it for him to continue going to the chiro.  Should he go regularly (as in BEFORE his back get really bad)? 

I get frustrated in that it seems as though they only do a temporary fix - and love to have you depend on them.  Is this just the way of the chiro and we need to accept it?  Is there a better way? 
I think this answer is two-fold.  I think too many visits to the chiro can cause problems, just like taking a laxative everyday would cause your digestion to slow without help of the meds.

However, if you need to get regular adjustment until healing can occur, I think repeat visits are okay. 

Now the question is how to heal?  Well, I injured my neck and I found that I was in need of physical therapy and regular adjustements over several weeks.  I didn't seem to be getting any better.  I read "Win the War Within" and learned more about fatty acids and began a strict supplementation of fatty acids in their correct ratios and healing began again and very rapidly.  Within a couple more weeks, I didn't need physical therapy any longer and I think I only needed 2 more adjustments after that.  The other thing that is very helpful on the more painful days is to use ice for the inflammation.  I also recommend resting as much as possible with ice and fatty acids after an adjustment.  This gives the body time to reduce inflammation in the muscles that are irritated by the bones being misplaced.  Once the inflammation disappears, the bones are less likely to return to their previous position.  When the bones move, the inflammation begins and wraps itself around the current positions and when you move the bones back, I think it's kind of like stretching a rubber band.  When you let go, the tendency is for the rubber band to snap back to it's original spot.  Once the inflammation reduces and the swelling goes away and allows the muscles to remember where they actually belong, this need to snap back tends to lessen and lessen.  Clear as mud?

Anyway, here's a link on the fatty acid schedule I followed. 

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,9697.msg93509.html#msg93509

Also, depending on which bones tend to move the most, you might need to look into rehabilitating the muscles in that area with some site specific exercises to strengthen the muscles that hold the bones in that area in place.  If it's neck and shoulder area, you can try this link for some ideas.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1842.0.html

The above exercises will help with posture and I would recommend you also read this thread for working at a desk.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,19505.msg194709.html#msg194709

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:33:04 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 08:41:07 AM »
Does your chiropractor use a TENS unit?  I just started going to one for pelvic pain & numbness in my right leg & arm.  I'm not comfortable with using the electrical stimulation on my muscles since we're trying to have another baby.  I talked with another chiropractor yesterday who doesn't use the machine and says they're not necessary; there are other ways to loosen the muscles.  Have any of you used these machines, & what about during pregnancy?  Thanks!

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
Does your chiropractor use a TENS unit?  I just started going to one for pelvic pain & numbness in my right leg & arm.  I'm not comfortable with using the electrical stimulation on my muscles since we're trying to have another baby.  I talked with another chiropractor yesterday who doesn't use the machine and says they're not necessary; there are other ways to loosen the muscles.  Have any of you used these machines, & what about during pregnancy?  Thanks!

BUMP - opinions on the electrical stimulation?  I just went to a chiropracter for the first time last week and had my second visit today because I messed up my neck running an electric sander.  He hooked me up to a TENS unit before I even realized what he was doing, I thought he was going to just be applying heat and then the tingly stuff started, etc.  I'm not real sure how I feel about this guy specifically since he didn't explain exactly what he was doing before hand, but if this therapy is good I don't want to throw it out because I don't necessarily like the practicioner that used it.  From my experience with it so far - it doesn't feel as helpful as a 'normal' massage. 

To anyone who uses it:
What do you find it helps?
Why do you prefer it over a 'hands on' massage?
What makes you comfortable with a machine sending electricity into your body?
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 05:32:07 AM »
BUMP!  :)
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 05:59:53 AM »
OK, I'll throw my 2 cents in here, but it may not be worth that.  ;D

At our house, we have gotten rid of things such as electric blankets, electric heating pads, etc, because we believe that it messes up the electrical system in the body. I'm not talking new age stuff here--the body does have measurable electrical current flow. In fact, that's how the heart beats--a difference in potential, which the heart cells respond to, contract, and pump blood.

As far as TENS units go, I am aware that some people use these for pain relief--as in severe, debilitating, chronic pain that has not responded to other treatments. These people cannot function due to the severe pain, and the TENS unit brings relief enough to at least carry out normal, daily functions.
I'm OK with that, but I'm not sure why your chiropractor used the TENS unit right away, and didn't explain what he was going to do. Did he do any adjustments/massage first? I think I would have preferred an adjustment first, and definitely an explanation of what a TENS unit is, what it does, and how it would help your condition...and then allowed me time to make a decision if I even wanted it to be used on me.

Hmmmm, I think your chiro should be explaining stuff better to you, and allow you to make a choice. If it were me, I'd pass on the TENS unit and request an adjustment/massage/hands-on treatment. But that's just me.  ;)

Does anybody here use a TENS unit regularly?
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 06:26:29 AM »
I have an instinctive opinion...

I'm a little uncomfortable with using the electrical stimulation. I would prefer hands on massage, which takes time and needs to be repeated frequently throughout the day/ treatment until the issue is resolved. The electrical stimulation is just more convenient (ie, cheaper, and doesn't keep you at an office for hours or even longer).

I had it used several times when I had an injury and the muscles had spasmed and were very, very tight. It stimulates the muscle, causing it to tire and then relax. You can't get a proper adjustment with a tight muscle counter-pulling. If it can be adjusted at all, it's painful and will be pulled out again very soon by the muscle. The chiro that helped me used it before the adjustment and a little bit afterwards. I got the issue worked on everyday for a few to get everything balanced again.
I hope he told you to drink alot of water afterwards. The byproduct in the muscle is the same as from a strenuous workout.