Author Topic: Naturopaths: Finding a Good Natural Doctor  (Read 15290 times)

Offline morningglory

• Adept
Naturopaths: Finding a Good Natural Doctor
« on: March 19, 2007, 07:45:02 PM »
How do you find a "natural doctor"?  My son has eczema and a chronic yeast infection/diaper rash, and I'm getting frustrated with his pediatrician.  All she does is prescribe the latest greatest steroid or anti-fungal cream, even though they haven't worked for months.  Pretty small potatoes compared to what Gracie's going through, but I'd still like to find a reputable doctor like yours.  Maybe this is info is on a different thread, but I couldn't find it.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: Naturopaths: Finding a Good Natural Doctor
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:23:40 AM »
How do you find a "natural doctor"?  My son has eczema and a chronic yeast infection/diaper rash, and I'm getting frustrated with his pediatrician.  All she does is prescribe the latest greatest steroid or anti-fungal cream, even though they haven't worked for months.  Pretty small potatoes compared to what Gracie's going through, but I'd still like to find a reputable doctor like yours.  Maybe this is info is on a different thread, but I couldn't find it.

Asking at your local health food store is a place to start but also call around. If you have to, call EVERY Dr listed in your phone book. Time consuming I know, but it may pay off. The Dr we have now, I found because his office is across the street from a health food store we shop at & he has fliers in the store. At our first visit, I found out that he had started practicing in our area 15 yrs ago but was a natural Dr working in a standard practice. He set up a practice of his own a few years ago. Every year, I would check the new yellow pages to see if I could find a natural Dr. & he was practicing in our area the whole time but because the yellow page ad for the practice he was a part of didn't mention that they had a natural Dr., I never knew about him. He is wonderfull & fully supports us in taking charge of our own health & handling most things on our own & calling him when needed. He encourages self education & teaches classes on using aromatherapy for healing. I'm pretty sure that he's not a believer but so far that's the only thing we don't see eye to eye on. I could have saved myself A LOT of head butting over the years by having a Dr that shared our family's  belief in natural medicine if I had called around. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom   

Offline kcs79sun

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:26:38 PM »
I would recommend just asking around.  I only go to doctors from word of mouth anymore b/c you just never know.  Ask the health food stores b/c some work with doctors/naturopaths/chiropractors.  Dr. Smith's is great for diaper rash but not natural.  Arbonne products are natural and they have diaper rash stuff if you know a consultant.  Someone on another post said they used coconut oil on a yeasty diaper rash - it never got that far for me and my kids.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »
I am also looking for a natural doctor, and one question I had is how to check a dr's credentials? And if they are a naturopath does that mean that they have some medical schooling? Can people with no knowledge of medicine at all call them selves a natural dr?
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 06:57:58 PM »
You can try this website. http://www.ncnm.edu/alumniandfriends/find_a_practitioner.php .  There are only 4 naturapathic colleges in the US and this is the one in our area.  I know there's one in LA, one in AZ and one on the East coast.  You can put in your state and see if there's someone close to you.  Generally speaking a personal recommendation is best, but short of that, maybe you can find someone here.  If not, try to google Naturapathic colleges and see what you get.  The other schools might have a similar site for finding alumni that are practicing.  Every state is different as far as credentialling.  Some states require an ND to be licensed, some do not. 

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:51:00 AM »
 I guess I just didn't know the term "naturopathic doctor" was what I was looking for.  I looked it up in the phone book and found two doctors within 25 min. of where we live.  I don't know if either of them are certified, but at this point I'm willing to try anything.  I'm pretty sure I have candida, but the restrictive diet is TOO restrictive for me while I'm pregnant.  I'm completely overwhelmed with all of the conflicting information ???, and I feel like I need some professional help with deciding on the right diet and herbs for me.  When I looked on one of the doctor's websites, I really liked what I saw.  Thanks for the help :)!

Offline DebAnn

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »
To any fellow Ohioans:  Can any of you reccomend a Naturopath?  We live in the central Ohio area but I would be willing to make a drive. :)
Rejoicing in hope,
       patient in tribulation,
              continuing instant in prayer.
Romans 12:12

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 03:58:52 PM »
Does anyone know of a DAN Dr. that does autism? We are looking for one on the West Coast.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 05:54:16 PM »
Does anyone know of a DAN Dr. that does autism? We are looking for one on the West Coast.
We are in the Portland, Oregon area and have a great ND who I also think is a DAN doctor - I know he does a bunch with the local autism group.
If he isn't close enough to you - he may know someone he would recommend.  If you are interested, PM me for his info and I will pass it on.
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline Lauralee

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 02:42:31 AM »
Be careful asking around. A naturopath came highly recommended to me. Well he is no longer practicing and they had others in his practice. They were terrible. I ended up going to this website Naturopathic.org and found the dr. I go to now. She is great. Their standards are high. They have to do pre med and then four years of Naturopath school.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 05:43:40 AM »
Until you can find a Dr. to help try washing the babies bottom with baking soda in water and blow dry with a hair dryer.   I had one son that had diaper rash so bad and I did that and it went away.  I just kept up that routine on all the others and we never had a problem.   It will probably help until you can find a DR.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Jessarie

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 04:30:41 AM »
An aside on the diaper rash treatment - soaking my son in a bath (in his baby tub) with a couple handfuls of dead sea salt dissolved in it cleared him up quickly.  He enjoyed the treatment too - the couple handfuls of salt was strong enough to heal the skin but not so strong that it stung.  Either that or he's a cheerful splasher even when he's in pain.

I'm also interested in finding an ND in Ohio if anyone has a recommendation!  Haven't had luck with the websites mentioned.

Offline momofskc

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 12:18:57 PM »
You can try this website. http://www.ncnm.edu/alumniandfriends/find_a_practitioner.php .  There are only 4 naturapathic colleges in the US and this is the one in our area.  I know there's one in LA, one in AZ and one on the East coast.  You can put in your state and see if there's someone close to you.  Generally speaking a personal recommendation is best, but short of that, maybe you can find someone here.  If not, try to google Naturapathic colleges and see what you get.  The other schools might have a similar site for finding alumni that are practicing.  Every state is different as far as credentialling.  Some states require an ND to be licensed, some do not. 

Patti

I am from Louisiana and would love to learn more about this college you are talking about.  I have looked on several sites and even googled for this information and can't find anything about this in LA.  Thank you for any help.
Julie:)

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 06:34:15 PM »
To any fellow Ohioans:  Can any of you reccomend a Naturopath?  We live in the central Ohio area but I would be willing to make a drive. :)
Hi DebAnn,
We just moved from Ohio a year ago and I know there is a good doctor in central PA.  I don't know how far you are willing to drive.  If you are interested let me know.  I know he is helping a friend of ours with Lyme disease.  He uses elecro-dermal testing using herbs, no drugs.  We have used this kind of testing with great success.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 05:54:31 AM »

Patti

I am from Louisiana and would love to learn more about this college you are talking about.  I have looked on several sites and even googled for this information and can't find anything about this in LA.  Thank you for any help.

The naturapathic college in LA may have a different name.  This is just what the one is called here.  What I meant to say is there are only four naturapathic colleges in the US. They all have different names.  Try googling "nautrpathic college LA" and see what you come up with.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
A victim of chronic bronchitis called on a well-known physician to be examined. The doctor, after careful questioning, assured the patient that the ailment would respond readily to treatment.

"You're so sure," the sufferer inquired, "I suppose you must have had a great deal of experience with this disease."

The physician smiled wisely, and answered in a most confidential manner:

"Why, my dear sir, I've had bronchitis myself for more than fifteen years."
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 10:27:24 PM »

Patti

The naturapathic college in LA may have a different name.  This is just what the one is called here.  What I meant to say is there are only four naturapathic colleges in the US. They all have different names.  Try googling "nautrpathic college LA" and see what you come up with.

patti

I just realized that you meant Louisiana and I meant Los Angelos.   :P  I only happened upon this after reading HB's post.  Sorry for the confusion. 

patti

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »
There is an association called ACAM.. www.acam.org and you can find a more "natural" minded doctor through this site.
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 09:00:04 AM »
Anyone know a good, preferably Christian, naturopath or naturally-minded MD in the Chicago area?

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 11:39:35 AM »
bump

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 03:00:14 PM »
Anyone know a good, preferably Christian, naturopath or naturally-minded MD in the Chicago area?

Dr. Mercola is in Schaumberg, IL at the Optimal Wellness Center.  Not sure that he's altogether "christian" considering he promotes some new-agey techniques for stress and what not but he does endorse Jordin Rubin's books knowing Jordin is definitely a confessing Christian (from what I understand).  There are some other good ones that are available there.  I can contact a friend of mine who personally knows a woman naturopath in the Chicago area.  Let me know if you need anymore info!
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 01:55:14 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I'll hang on to it.  My SIL has a grave need for health care and has many layers of spiritual, physical, mental and emotional problems.  If she is willing to take a different route, I'd be happy to have a name or two to pass on to her.  She just got out of the hospital for chest pains, dizziness and pain in her leg.  All tests showed nothing and the docs said "anxiety."  Duh.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »
I found this site for finding a Natural Dr.and thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.vitabase.com/tools/nd-locate/default.aspx
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline AbbaJava

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »
I don't know but we need more of them!

Offline tkmuskrat

• Learning
    • www.xanga.com/tkmuskrat
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 05:29:20 PM »
Try this site : http://www.ancb.net/directory-home.html