Author Topic: Please pray for our family!! Arsenic poisoning?  (Read 33934 times)

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
Please pray for our family!! Arsenic poisoning?
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:32:03 PM »
We just got the results back from my 3 year olds heavy metal test; his first test came back with a level of arsenic 3 times the level of an adult.  The DR. thought it was human error, so we repeated the same test, but we did a blood test this time around.  His arsenic reading was 48 (blood test 2nd time) and 145(urine test-first test).  He was on a chelator at the time of both tests; our DAN Dr. recommended because she thought he had all the signs of metal poisoning.  Apparently, she was right and so was I.  The whole family is going in tomorrow for heavy metal testing.  This is very scary!!  We are thinking that our pipes are very old and may be leaching into our water.  WE have been drinking bottled water for about 1.5 now.  But, we have drank tap water for over a year now.  We also have an old buck stove with a blower that we have been using during the winter months.  We are thinking that maybe starter logs may have chemicals in them?  We haven't been able to find any around since the weather is warm around here now.  Does anyone know the ingredients they put in those starter logs? 

We have also thought of the sea salt we use.  Could this have arsenic in it?  We are racking our brains about what could have arsenic in it?  We also eat chicken alot, normally just chicken fryers or chicken breasts.  We never eat fish at all.  I'm scared that the whole family will have elevated levels.  What other sources could arsenic be in?  We will most likely get a visit from Poison control.  Please pray for our family.  I will keep everyone updated on the results of the rest of the family's tests.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
Re: Please pray for our family!! Arsenic poisoning?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 05:34:57 PM »
Oh no!  We will certainly be praying for you all!  At least you are getting some answers now.  God is our Great Physician and I trust He will lead and guide you all through this!

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline jett leann

• Adept
  • www.janettesjava.com
    • janettesjava.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 01:44:36 AM »
Thankfully you have found out before something worse happened...I'm looking forward to hearing from you after the rest of the family is tested.
What symptoms does he have that prompted you to have him tested?  Hopefully whatever is causing it will be simple and easy to fix!  Please know that you and your family will be in my prayers.  Maybe through this terrible experience you will be able to help someone else.  (That's how I get through my trials in life, anyway.)  Take care and please let us know as soon as you can.
Thinking of you, Jett Leann

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 03:06:38 AM »
Get your water tested so as to point the finger or rule it out. 

Quote from a website:
Arsenic is an inorganic chemical which contaminates water in many parts of the world. Arsenic can come from human activity or from natural sources, and can cause many serious health problems. More than 60
million people in the United States have dangerous levels of arsenic in their drinking water.

Human-Made: Arsenic pollution comes from chemicals used to treat outdoor wood like playground equipment, decks and picnic tables, from arsenic-containing pesticides that were widely used in the past, and from mining.

Naturally Occurring: Some parts of the country have high levels of arsenic in the ground.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 03:14:53 AM »
So sorry to hear of this!!  Heavy metal poisoning is so ANNOYING!!!!  >:(
I know that Ilovegodswisdom here on WTM has been going through a lot of heavy metal detox with her hubby.  Here is a short testimony of what is sorta working for her.  You could always PM her and talk more.  She would be glad to help.  Praying for your little one!   :-*
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3292.msg33467.html#msg33467

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »
jett lean:  I'm the one who started the thread: Sensory Integration Disorder. It all about my son Noah who started exhibiting some quirky and weird behavior.  What triggered me to think he had some kind of heavy metals was all his sensory problems.  For example: he all of the sudden started having problems with his skin.  He was overly sensitive to everything that used to not bother him.  Examples: didn't like his hands wet at all, hates baths now, freaks out if you try to give him a haircut(he almost seems to be in pain when pieces of hair touch his skin), hates tags touching his skin, hates socks and shoes, and so many more things I can't think of them all right now.  He also started having autistic type behaviors: stimming, repetitive behaviors, and abnormal need for routines.  We really didn't expect Noah's levels to come back elevated for arsenic.  I thought it would be high for Mercury.  While I was pregnant I got like 8 or 9 amalgams put in my mouth at like the 4th month of pregnancy with Noah.  This was of course before I knew the dangers of mercury for my unborn baby and for me.  All of his bizarre behavior started at about 28 or 29 months of age.  I knew from all of my research on heavy metal poisoning that something had to be elevated; I have researched quite a bit on mercury poisoning, since I have 14 amalgams in my mouth right now, and have had problems since they were put in.  I just wish we could pin point where this could be coming from.. :'(

Oh yeah, does anyone know what ingredients are in the foam pad of carpet.  It just dawned on me that our carpet was brand new when we moved in to our house.  I have heard some where that they add perservatives the foaming part??  Not sure though.

The family will have to wait about 7 days for the results to come back.  In the meantime, I will be a nervous wreck!!  Will keep everyone updated.  Anyone knows of any other hidden sources of arsenic please let me know. 
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 02:59:11 PM »
Our cat got arsenic poisoning from our fence posts. He sharpened his claws on them and then gave himself a bath. He would get a bad skin rash and then have allergy like attacks and sleep. It took us so long to find the source. We got a new fence and the fence people told us about the arsenic on the fence posts. They used face masks to remove the posts. The cat never got sick again. We wondered if our kids ever chewed on the posts, licked them or were bothered by them simply being in our yard. They are much older now, but my younger daughter still  does not like clothes not being comfortable, etc. You have made me wonder.

Do you have fence post?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »

Oh yeah, does anyone know what ingredients are in the foam pad of carpet.  It just dawned on me that our carpet was brand new when we moved in to our house.  I have heard some where that they add perservatives the foaming part??  Not sure though.

I believe that formaldehyde is an additive to carpet padding, but not arsenic. I think a big arsenic leaker is also in wood.  A lot of people get those railroad ties(the old wooden ones) to use for their landscaping,  and I know that they are laced with all kinds of chemicals. Not exactly sure all of them, but I think arsenic would be one of them.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 05:07:43 PM »
Pressure treated wood has arsenic in it. Pressure treated wood is the greenish wood used for decks & fences. I hope that you find the source. Praying for you. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Shady Lane

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 03:22:22 AM »
Just for everyone's information . . . my husband builds gazebos and decks with pressure treated lumber.  He just found out that once again the mode of 'treating' has been changed.  This time it sounds like it's actually for the better.  No more arsenic!  (Yay!)  Now they've found a way to get the copper (the preservative) in without using arsenic to force it in.  I'm pretty sure the new name is MCC (I think the old was ACQ). 

The new idea is that they've figured out how to grind the copper 'finer than powder' (I think they call it micro-ionized [sp?]), and so now they don't need the arsenic anymore.

My husband said that all treated lumber available will be switching over to this new kind, so if you want to replace fences or decks etc.  you now have a much better option.  He also said that this new lumber looks almost identical to regular, not greenish like it used to be.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 03:31:14 AM »
I just came across this article on a gardening website that might help. http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=1824
Drinking water can be really contaminated.  The town that we lived in in central Oklahoma for several years had a the highest levels of arsenic in the drinking water in the US.  The soil was naturally high in arsenic, so it ended up in the water.  Hope you can pinpoint the source soon! 

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 04:02:47 AM »
Our family is preparing to build a deck, so I was very interested in the subject.  It sounds like everything built in 2003 or before has a good chance of containing high levels of arsenic.  Treating lumber with arsenic was outlawed at the end of 2003, so it shouldn't be in there anymore.  I am going to research what they actually do use now, hopefully it is safer.  Here is an article that I found.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-12-29-treated-lumber_x.htm
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 05:42:50 AM »
Thanks everyone!  We don't have any playground equipment at our house right now.  We did have some treated wood laying around outside of our house though.  We had to replace some wood underneath the house.  I'm not sure if the wood under the house could leak into our house.   I have also noticed that quite a few people around our neighborhood are always burning stuff and sometimes it's wood.  I certainly hope they aren't burning treated wood.  THey were doing this yesterday while we were playing outside. 

I can across something very interesting.  When we have burned fires in our buck stove we have used small kindling peices of wood (kroger brand) and the bigger firelogs.  On the package for the small kindling it has a warning that says:
All Wood, including this wood, produces a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm when buring. Isn't that reasuring?  We never even read the package before using it.  Of course, it doesn't state what chemical it produces when it's burned, so I will have to call the number on the package Monday. My husband thinks that if they use pieces of old wood it could possibly be laced with arsenic or an arsenic derivative.  Just a theory though. We are also going to see if we can find the ingredients in the other firelogs we were using.  They were also Kroger brand.  We are having trouble finding more of the bigger firelogs.  This is so exhausting for us. Thanks for the links.  People just don't know how sensitive people's systems can be to chemicals in things.  We struggled so much with Noah being sensitive to everything.  He tends to react to everything.  We ate Chinese food yesterday for the first time in months just for something a little different.  I guess it was better than eating McDonald's.  I can tell already that the food affected his system.  When we eat anything with flavor enhancers or synthetic ingredients he tends to be much more hyper.  That's why we only do it every once in a while.  I have also noticed that when we eat out he wakes up a couple times a night crying for no apparent reason.  He is  normally a really good sleeper. 

Well, I'm going to do some more research to find out what exactly is in these kindling pieces....Thanks for all the suggestions.

Misty

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »
So did you have your water tested? Maybe I missed your answer on that somewhere...
It seems that the most likely medium for Arsenic poisoning is the water you bath in, brush your teeth with, and drink. The very first thing I would do is have my water tested!

Rebekah
PS: Monosodium Glutamate is as poisonous as arsenic, IMO. Don't eat food that has MSG on it!

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 10:18:38 AM »
Forevergirl:  We are in the process of testing our water right now.  Believe it or not we are having trouble getting someone to call us back to have them test it. ???  We suspect that the chemicals are either from our water or our buck stove.  We are not sure but we think maybe the kindling we were using could also be a problem.  Thanks for the advice.

Misty

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 03:05:16 PM »
Forevergirl:  We are in the process of testing our water right now.  Believe it or not we are having trouble getting someone to call us back to have them test it. ???

I would be suspicious of it,too!  I would call around for those who have a free testing available.  That is what we did. 
I am interested what your Kroger wood was treated with, too.
So sorry for your child.  I really grieve for little ones that are poisoned.  It breaks my heart!  :(  But I know you are doing all that you can to help him. ;)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »
Misty,
Sure sounds like your diligent campaigning for the answer to Noah's puzzle is paying off!  Praise God!  I will keep you all in prayer that you continue to find answers in this matter. 
Noah is so blessed to have such a wonderful mommy as you. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 05:36:28 PM »
blessed213:   Thanks so much for that comment.  It's good to hear that every once in a while.  Sometimes I feel like I don't do enough for him.  Thanks again for the encouraging words. 

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »
Forevergirl:  We are in the process of testing our water right now.  Believe it or not we are having trouble getting someone to call us back to have them test it. ???

I would be suspicious of it,too!  I would call around for those who have a free testing available.  That is what we did. 
I am interested what your Kroger wood was treated with, too.
So sorry for your child.  I really grieve for little ones that are poisoned.  It breaks my heart!  :(  But I know you are doing all that you can to help him. ;)
healthyinohio: Who normally offers free water testing?  Should our city offer free water testing?  We are still trying to get someone out here to test the water.  We keep getting the run around because nobody seems to know anything. >:( >:(  We get names and numbers but nobody will call us back.  We will have to get on the horn again Monday morning.  IT's really hard to sleep these days.  We are talking about all of our health here ya know. :o

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 05:55:31 PM »
If all else fails one can send the water off for analysis. Does anyone know of a mail in source? I have have heard of people doing that.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 03:09:01 AM »
healthyinohio: Who normally offers free water testing?  Should our city offer free water testing?  We are still trying to get someone out here to test the water. 

Well, I looked in the water purification system part of the yellow pages.  The companies that install water filters and whole house systems and I found one that does free testing.  You could always do what someone else suggested and do an out of the area testing.  Sounds like they know that something is there and are refusing testing because of a fear of a lawsuit.  I know, I am such a conspiracy theorist, but after watching the movie A Civil Action, you just never know!!

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 06:02:53 AM »
Ok.  Here is what I found out from searching.  In Dec. 22,2006 I found out from our local news startion that over 250 gallons of antifreeze had leaked into our water!!  We don't watch alot of t.v., so I never even knew about this, not to mention, I just had Micah around the 5th of Dec. 2006.  I'm furious about this!!  Micah, my youngest, had major stomach issues from birth to 3.5 months or so.  No wonder we can't get anyone to call us back!  My husband even asked a lady at city hall if they have ever had problems with contaminants in the water, she never told him anything about the leaking of antifreeze in the water!!  She just said, "We follow all of the guidelines for safe water".  This is just horrible!!  I probably saved my son's life because I started chelating him Jan. of 2007.  No wonder it help his moods!!  He was contaminated with antifreeze at the time and we didn't even know it!!!  God works in mysterious way doesn't he?  No wonder my gut feeling was so strong!!  Look at my long thread on Sensory Integration Disorder.  All of these contaminants have caused Neurological damage to Noah's system and Micah's!!  HMM, doesn't it seem odd now that he shows up high in arsenic?  We live in a small town of about 2,000 people; there are no water purification places around here.  WE will need a comprehensive water analaysis that tests for pesticides, heavy metals, and any other contaminants.  I'm sure they have their own company test for impurities so it always comes up just like they need it too. 

Does anyone have a website who offers free testing for your water?  I need something A.S.A.P.!!  I don't trust our city now to do the testing.  They will just try to cover their butts!!  Our family health is riding on these test.  Thanks for listening.  I will probably write a book after all of this is behind us :'( 

Misty

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 06:40:18 AM »
Ok.  Here is what I found out from searching.  In Dec. 22,2006 I found out from our local news startion that over 250 gallons of antifreeze had leaked into our water!! 

Misty....this is sounding more and more like that movie "Erin Brockovich".  I saw it years ago before I gave my life to Jesus, but stuff like this is happening all the time and the health of our society is suffering as a result!  It upsets me too.  The least thing they could have done was send a letter out to everyone, knock on doors, shut the water off until it was not contaminated again, etc.....  What were they thinking to continue to allow people to drink antifreeze?????  This deserves some more attention.  Do your neighbors know? Have you found out about anyone else or their children suffering since this happened?  It might be a good idea to ask or look around. 

If I were you, I would try to get a hold of the city's water policy.  Many of their public documents should be available for public access under the Freedom of Information Act (??)  Most people don't feel the need to review the local water department's records.  If you start snooping too hard in a small town, I understand their hesitance.  However, if you get informed about your rights in that county and what public records they have to allow you to see, you might find out more and more.  It just depends on how deep you want to go.  If you have a lawyer, they might be good for council in the county you live in as to which city documents you are entitled to review. 

Wish we all could do more to help you with this. Please let us know and keep us informed.  Until then, you all are in our prayers :)

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 07:30:45 AM »
Misty,
I am just appalled at your news about the antifreeze!  You will no doubt have a very difficult time proving any connection, but I agree that your strong feelings and action have saved your boys from worse harm. 
Do you remember that I posted also on the SID thread that my oldest son has a lot of sensory health problems?  Well, one of the causes, we believe, was our groundwater.  A class action suit was filed against the polluter and it dragged on for around 15 years.  The company ended up paying millions of dollars to settle out of court and they went bankrupt and out of business.  This was in a major city and the company paid to residents in an area of around 18 square miles.  The boundary for paying out on the class action suit was less than half a block from our home.  They settled out of court, it was said, to avoid medical testimony.  Hmmmmm? 
You may find it interesting to google the class action settlement involving Motorola Corp. in Phoenix, AZ.   Although some people were pleased to get a check, the damage to hundreds of thousands of people will never come to light in this case. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 09:45:27 AM »
Here let me see if I can post the exact story about it.  Here goes....

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=1851980&version=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Hopefully this worked.  I contacted the water company from emilyjean's post.  Thanks for the link.  We are probably going to get Poison Control to come out to test for free, but we will also use an outside lab to test so we can compare results.  It's probably a conflict of intrest with the poison company since they work for the state.  Not sure how all of that works, but just want to make sure if our water is contaminated that it shows up that way.  Most of the time the city will only test for bacteria and not heavy metals.  The company I called said they will test for arsenic but will have to call me back about the antifreeze.  They don't sell any filters on their site, so the info will be legit.  Keep you posted.

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 10:45:35 AM »
I will pray for your family, this whole thing makes me very glad that one of the first things my husband asked me to do as a married couple was to stop drinking all tap water and drink only distilled.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 02:58:07 PM »
Momoffour,

I clicked on the link and it came up just fine, but I had this really annoying and dark picture of a faucet that made it impossible to read the first half!  >:(
Did you have this too?  Maybe they want it this way!  :D

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 04:21:13 PM »

I just clicked on it, but didn't have trouble reading it at all.  At first when it came up it looked kind of funny with the picture of the faucet, but then it was fine.  Maybe try again later.  Sorry I couldn't help more.

Gosh, Thursday seems like eternity for all of us.  That's probably when the rest of our results come in.  If our arsenic levels aren't high, I will probably order hair test for me and the baby.  Do you know how accurate they are?  I have never had one done.  I know if you have metals that store in your body for a while, it won't show up in a urine test or blood test unless the exposure was recent or you used a chelator with the test, which is what we did for the rest of the family.  I feel so bad for my babies.  I hope to finally unravel all the symptoms my little boy has been having and also for the rest of the family.  Hopefully, we can pinpoint exactly where this arsenic is and also find out if the water still contains antifreeze. 

Misty

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »
Misty, hair tests are said to be very reliable.  Forensic scientists use them to determine whether people have died from arsenic poisoning.  The arsenic is still in their hair even after they have been dead many years!  I remember in the news a few years ago, they had a story about trying to find out if one of our U.S. presidents from before 1860 had died from eating poisoned strawberries.  Don't remember which one it was, but the written record of his death indicated that he became very ill after eating some strawberries, and died suddenly under very suspicious circumstances.  Of course, couldn't know for sure back then, but it remained a question mark in history.  Sorry, I don't remember now what the test results were for sure--though I want to say they were negative.

Just a thought, if you don't mind the publicity at some point, it might be a good idea to get that TV station interested in your story.  They might know where to look for more info, and have contacts that you don't.  The more people checking into this, the better.
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 05:03:29 AM »
Hmm.  That's nice to know.  I also wondering if the arsenic would show up in our hair even if we weren't chelating it out?  Any ideas?  If we have all been poisoned I want to make sure it shows up that way.  I have heard that some people people have a hard time excreting certain metals on their own, I know one of those people is my son.  It's all so very confusing for us.  It's scary when you open up new cans of worms, you can really start to stir things up in such a little town.  At this point, we arent't worried about stepping on anyone's toes, we just want to get to the bottom of all of this. 

I'm assuming a hair test would show levels of antifreeze in our system?  Do they normally check for something like this?  Is antifreeze considered an heavy metal?  Not sure what classification it would fall under.  If we find out the whole family is toxic we will probably pack up and move. 

I hope my story has helped someone or made people aware of how unsafe your environment really is.  I know we haven't proved it yet about the arsenic, but the antifreeze in the water is just another reason to suspect the arsenic coming from our drinking water. 

Thanks for such an informative website(well tell me), if it wasn't for all the helpful info on health related topics I would have never even pursued anything about my son.  I would have just let another Dr. tell me that he is "just different".  God has opened my eyes to natural health and has helped me find the answers to my family's health problems.  I have had faith even in the hard times of this situation.  God is good!!  Keep you posed.

Misty