Author Topic: Super Healthy Men????  (Read 15449 times)

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
Super Healthy Men????
« on: April 02, 2006, 08:18:11 PM »
I just noticed that there is not a single topic in the men's health section!  Are all the men in our lives just that healthy or are their problems ones we don't want to talk about???  :D

Since there are mostly women on this forum here is a question for you.

What do you do to keep your man healthy?

How do you motivate him to eat healthier foods or take supplements like multi vitamins?

I happen to be blessed with a hubby that is very interested in healthy living, just not necessarily healthy food.   ::)  He would be thrilled to eat a bean burrito with a side of chips and salsa three times a day for the rest of his life!   :P  While not the most UNhealthy food to love in the world it is lacking in variety and veggies.   ;)  Any tips for preparing yummy man friendly veggies?  8)
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline Julie G

• Adept
Re: Super Healthy Men????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:37:27 AM »
I would love some tips as well!!  My husband loves beef, poultry, pasta, & breads but wrinkles his nose at vegetables and seafood.  Anyone else with a similar predicament that has found a solution, I would love to glean off of you!!

Also, any alternative to sweets....we both have a sweet tooth, I've tried more having more fruits available but any other tips would be appreciated!
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 06:31:33 AM »
I feel like I am hogging this website, but I can't help it - every topic is one I can relate to!  My husband grew up on white pasta, potato bread bacon and beef.  The only veggie he ever saw was canned corn!  EEK!  Not that my eating habits were perfect, but we were always big on salad and veggies more than meat and pasta.  Meal time was not always a happy time in our home. 
  So, I have a few secrets: like the fact that when I make pasta sauce I always puree a TON of herbs and veggies (garlic, basil, parsley, peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, squash, etc) and mix it all in with my tomatoes.  Then I throw in a pork bone and make sure it ends up on my husband's plate so he sees it and thinks  "Mmm..meat!"  instead of "Pasta primavera?  Isn't that rabbit food?"  I also switched to all whole grains, including pasta, which doesn't have an overpowering taste for those less inclined to such things.  Now spaghetti night, my hubby's favorite, is really one of our healthiest meals!
   Also, despite my tricks, I have to say that my biggest victories are in the areas that I have never approached my husband about, but instead I have gone to the Lord.  Like "Please help me Lord.  I try so hard to nourish my family but the man you gave me is really a beast when it comes to health.  Please bring us into accord!")  Time and again my husband has come to me with suggestions like "lets start a vegetarian night every week"  or "how about eating spinach salad more often - I loved that dressing!"  Praise the Lord!  It's so much easier when a man thinks your submitting to HIS ideas!
   Good luck!  I can't wait to hear all of your ideas so I can try them too!    ~Layla

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 06:36:23 AM »
I almost forgot!  I often make my own whole grain bread to keep the beast away from Martin's potato rolls.  What man can resist coming home from a hard day to fresh bread coming out of the oven?  A little wheat gluten to soften it and he never even asks what's in it!  Step by step, he's getting there!        ~L
Also, just to clarify, I do not lie to my husband.  Often I just wait for a compliment before I reveal my secrets. ;)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 06:57:21 AM »
Great topic!

I'm the lucky one here - my husband's mother and grandmother are both healthy cooks, and his tastes are very healthy!

However - I do have one idea - in my experience men prefer RAW veggies. Keeping a container of fresh veggies in the fridge makes it easy to add a colorful tray to the dinner table. Carrots, celery, peppers, broc, radishes... My kids prefer the raw vegetables WAY more too - so I hardly ever cook vegetables anymore.

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:47:15 PM »
     That's funny- I know my honey would rather eat his veggies raw- I hadn't thought of it as a guy thing...
     Anyway, my hubby had a couple sugestions for diet changes. For the guy who thinks he needs little debbies in the house- if he likes homemade chocolate chip cookies, make lots of cookies! With white flour and white sugar, and lots of chocolate... until he thinks your homemade cookies beat the storebought ones. Then it is not a difficult matter to change your recipes ever so slightly... make Oatmeal choc. chip cookies, then add 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, then a little more... and so on, till they're healthier than he would have ever known by eating them. We still use lots of real chocolate chips. They make a lot forgivable.  Also, fruit desserts are good. You can make pie (with organic butter in the crust, or even oil instead of Crisco...) You're probably wondering when you would have time to do all this baking. Good question. Thankfully, once my family got to thinking homemade was better, they were willing to wait for it since it wasn't around as often. If you like to bake, you can tell your hubby you'll trade your time in the kitchen for a half hour without the kids... uh, right there. Harold's other suggestion was to make the food as pretty as possible. Colorful salads with the veggies arranged on top, a little dolup of sour cream with a sprinkling of herbs on top, etc.. I know there isn't much time for garnishes when your trying to "feed the bears" on time, but he said pretty food is hard to resist.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

FlappyEars

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 05:15:55 PM »
My hubby loves fruit.  However, it just sits there unless I do something about it!!  He seemingly doesn't want to go to the trouble of peeling an orange or biting into an apple.  So, I baby my big man and....peel and cube his oranges, wash, core and slice his apples, pick each grape off the vine and wash them....basically load it all up on a plate and serve.  Whatever I put in front of him he will eat (he was well trained)  I can cut up 3 oranges, put them in a dish and he will down the whole thing!  Same with grapes....a whole bag that are picked and wash he will eat.  And while he may not be much in the food prep. department, he sure is nice about cleaning up the kitchen for me.   ;D  Oh, I also remind him daily to drink water!!!  He'll trot off and get a drink, but if I don't remind him he hardly drinks anything and comes home from work with a splitting headache.   :(

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:00:39 AM »
LOL That reminds me so much of my darlin!  I think he could go all day without eating or drinking enough.  Just happening to grab a bite of chips or whatever is in front of him.  Unlike the ravenous appetites of my bro's growing up my hubby seems to be rather absent minded about food.

Like you if I want him to eat I fix him a plate, and place it in front of him.  Then he eats just fine.  I tease him though that when kids come along I won't have the time "baby" him like that!   :D  He won't mind...It just worries and bothers me when I don't know if he is eating enough to function on a healthy level or not!   :P
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 01:37:38 PM »
This is so intersting! Hubby loves my special fish recipe, place fish in flat pie plate, place a few small pats of real butter on top, sprinkle both sides with garlic powder or garlic salt, then liberally sprinkle the top side with lawrys, bake at 350 till done, and I grill veggies and he loves it, or i do what a lot of you said, give em raw! but now how to get them interested in healthful choices? beats me!

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 04:33:41 AM »
Such good ideas! I agree with several things... Presentation goes SO far. Not just looking nice on the plate, but being excited about it ourselves... "I can't wait until you try this, it's so good!, I really had fun trying something new!" Keeping 'finger food' like pre cut fruits and veggies IN SIGHT is big for both of us. I have never met a man who doesn't LOVE homemade bread (and what better way to get the grains in?) More than anything I totally agree with the prayer/submitting to HIS ideas part! Five years ago, neither of us even knew what 'whole grain' meant! He has gone from very resistant to actually PREFERING to eat healthy! He's even THANKFUL for the changes we made! So anyway, PRAY, be enthusiastic, and watch God work... afterall, we're striving to eat foods the way He created them, right? ;)
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 05:42:36 AM »
Hello Everyone,
    I would suggest when making salad put candied almonds (chopped, tossed with maple syrup, and toasted in oven @ 250 for a few hours) and bacon or chopped eggs will appeal more to hubby. I also make a strawberry, onion, almond salad which always goes over well with either a basic balsamic dressing or rasp vin.

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 05:57:22 AM »
Oops, I sent too early.
I wasalso going to suggest sending hubby off with a smoothie in the morning. YOu can hide a variety ofgood things in a fruit smoothie and so he will get a good start off to his day without much fuss.

Suggestions:
 Toss into blender
   kefir or yogart (important for creaminess)
   frozen banana
   frozen strawberries
   OJ (I use the concentrate then add water)
   frozen berries
   T. coconut oil (mixed first with the kefir in blender so to not clump)
   T. dried greens powder(green feast from Wilderness Family Naturals or greens from Garden of Life, or whatever you can find)
   T. chia seeds (mixed with kefir and coconut oi lin beg. to grind well)
   raw egg yok
   T. or less raw honey (especially if you want to add more green stuff or you do the egg since it can hide flavors hubby might not like)

put a straw in it and send him off to work. My husband enjoys a smoothie but won't ask,I have to be ready or he will leave for work empty handed and stomached.

My kids love this too, they actaully think smoothies are supposed to be green.

Suggestion for treats:
   I make a quick frozen kefir dessert sometiomes which is very yummy. If you have a handhelld blender, put in a
          1 C. kefir,
          frozen banana,
          frozen strawberries,
          pineapple, peach, whatever you have and blend.
Try not to add any more liquid to keep it think and ice cream like. This is why the hand held works best; a blender requires too much liquid unless of coarse you have a Vita-mix. Plus eating kefir right before bed is a great way to increase good bacteria int he gut!

I hope these suggestions help.

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 06:51:12 PM »
All of this advice is wonderful! When my husband and I were first married I suggested we eat organically and he thought I was insane! 5 years later I do much shopping at the co-op, make smoothies everyday with flax seed and coconut oil mixed in, always substitute whole wheat flour for white flour in our sweet recipes, and bought a water purifier. He loves the changes, but he still gawks at me when I talk about eating healthier with more whole foods in our diet. Truth is, as many of you have stated, he likes to eat well, he just doesn't want to take the time to prepare it or to research it  ;)

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 03:52:17 AM »
my husband just started drinking half his body weight in oz of water, if you knew how much doctor pepper he drank a day you would understand just how proud i am of him, and since he is a very big man, (not fat just built big and strong) he has to drink 7 --------- 16 oz bottles of water a day, hee hee, he weighed 230 lbs when he started and now is down to 222. he is all muscle except for he has a bit of a belly. that is what he wants to loose, of course all that water crowds out all his cokes,  ;D  he also does not have a big sweet tooth, I usually buy almost NO junk food, we both dont want to eat it, but do when we have it, we have switched to the baked chips, for those rare snack attacks because he likes them better,

Offline applesofgold

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 02:51:05 AM »
My dh is so much like all your dhs!  LOL.  He loves pink grapefruit, but it will sit and rot before he eats it if I don't peel it, and also peel off all the inner skins for each segment!!
My dh is also a meat & potatoes man, but he gradually is coming around and now loves salad if it's with home-made salad dressing.
He still has to have meat, though, which is ok.  If I make him a meal without meat, he asks where's the meat and if there isn't, it's not a meal-it's just a snack-LOL.
I love all these ideas and will be trying some of these.  Holly
Nothing is worthwhile if the seed of eternity is not in it.

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 04:26:57 AM »
For me the trick to getting my husband to eat anything is putting it in front of him. If he has to go "searching" (opening a drawer, moving the eggs over... ;) )he won't eat it. I try to make it so that if he does go and look in the fridge, he sees that the easiest thing to grab is "rabbit food", or if he goes to the cupboard there are nuts, or trail mix. Also, he won't grab an apple and wash it, but if there are bananas or something quick and easy like that on the counter, he'll grab one of those and eat it.
I don't mean to sound like my guy is lazy, but he has other things to think of, so when it comes to food, either I'm ready, or he's at a drive-thru, and that means trouble in my house!!  :-[
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 06:14:42 AM »
Also, any alternative to sweets....we both have a sweet tooth, I've tried more having more fruits available but any other tips would be appreciated!

I'm diabetic, and I have a sweet tooth...bad combination!!!  :D  I make desserts and cookies using a date paste (because I can't have much honey).  I make a mixture of 2 cups of dates, 2 cups of honey, and 2 cups of apple juice concentrate.  Blend them, and you can keep in in your fridge.  I got this recipe from a cookbook called "Five Loaves".  Also, I sometimes just use a date/fruit juice mixture...you pretty much use it in a recipe like you would plain honey.  Almost.  Also, I like to use mild nut butters for fat instead of butter...almond or brazil are good.  They add to the flavor of the cookie but don't overpower it. 

Katie
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 07:39:05 AM »
My husband never tells me what he likes (out loud).  I have to watch and see if he'll have seconds, thirds, or pop.   ;D

I try to sneek ingredients into things they already like.  One of my dump cakes has carrots in it, but you can't taste them (I don't like carrots  :P).  I sneek spinach into quiche and lasagna.  Hubby only likes spinach in kimchee.

Right now, I'm actually trying to track down a recipe for rice cakes.  Not the quaker crunchy things (GROSS), but little gooey cylindrical cakes made from rice flour.  He loves these, but I can only get them when MIL brings them home from her trips to Chicago.  I cook these with hot sauce, sesame seeds, onions and garlic and serve it up a substitute for rice with our other Asian dishes.  I feed him a lot of fried rice with lots of goodies added.  He loves homemade kimchee and all the meat dishes include miso, hot peppers, garlic, onions, sesame seeds and/or oil and meat.  MIL makes a kimchee from Korean turnip greens that's fabulous boiled with chicken, but I still have to figure out how to get these turnips so I can make them myself (American turnip greens don't taste the same).

He also likes raw veggies, with ranch dip and/or korean hot sauce mixed with sesame seeds and vinegar.

I got him hooked on green tea, but he also likes those nasty energy drinks that have been coming out by the truckload.  The upside is that he's actually paying attention to the labels since I've been on my health kick.  One of these days, he may actually choose his drink by what he reads.  ;)

I make a pretty mean meat loaf.  It's probably not healthy, but it's chocked full of onions, garlic, seasonings, etc, so I figure it's worth the cheat.

All in all, I finally got him to stop eating little debbies and potatoe chips.  Great Victories in this house.   ;D  And we are not buying margarine EVER EVER EVER again.   :P
  My favorite herb book!!

Honey Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 07:41:37 AM »
What is it about men and Little Debbies, anyway? 

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 07:47:38 AM »
I don't know but I have a hard time passing one by :P.  The brownies call to me at the convenient stores. ;D

I am blessed with a husband who loves salad. 8)  But, it has to be with ALL the fixings.  Olives, mushrooms, all veggies, etc.  I also do carrot juicing in the mornings.  Unfortunately, his love for salad is almost outweighed by his penchant for snack cakes and potato chips. :-\ :D
Christy

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 07:50:07 AM »
BTW, did you know if you eat a snack cake while standing the calories don't count?! ;D :D ::) :P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 08:52:31 AM »

Their first love.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 10:59:22 AM »

I call her "The Other Woman"... He brings her home when I'm not looking. :-\ Sadly, I welcome her... :)
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 06:16:24 PM »
the other woman____________ Ha ha ha thats funny! zebra cakes are my hubbys downfall, bless his dear heart,                  It just cracks me up how everybody says their man will eat only if it is put in front of them, easily accesable, peeled, cored, every little bit of whatever picked 0ff, cleaned, why are men like this???? hey men,,, why are you like this?  It just cracks me up, women are clearly made to be a helpmeet to their men especially in this area, they need us! they have much larger things to think aobut than food, and when we make sneaky smart choices than we are helping them, :)
  Ive got to tell you , my husband grew up with his idea of hot tea was liptons tea with 2 heaping teaspoons full of sugar and a dab of milk, YIKES<<< so now i sneak honey in sometimes instead of sugar, he never knows it, but if he sees me do it , it freaks him out and he has this big issue of how its not as good, and i just sniker inside.... 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 10:24:06 AM »
I've noticed that if I ask how the food was, he figures out something is different.  If I don't ask, he never says a word.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 10:26:48 AM »
My husband was looking at this section last night...and he laughed and laughed and said "Its all so true!"  Unfortunately, he didn't give any other ideas :P
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline FatBoy

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 07:15:33 PM »

My wife told me to get on this web site!!!

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 07:19:52 PM »

My wife told me to get on this web site!!!

Well, it IS interesting and full of good information!  Actually, I think he just wanted to see what I was so interested in, and why his cookies don't taste the same!  ;D
I'm smiling! :D

Honey Bee

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 08:36:19 AM »
In reading all of your replies to this topic, I finally got it!  It is easy for me to grab a healthy snack.  I do the shopping and prep all the meals.  I know what's available.  I realized that my husband does not open the refrigerator and see the makings of a sandwich, or know if I have some boiled eggs there.

So, for the past two weeks, I devoted a shelf in our fridge with healthy snacks: all the sandwich makings, boiled eggs, cheese, cut-up veggies, nuts, etc.  It has worked!  My husband loves that he can open the fridge and immediately find something good. I'm feel like I'm fighting the other woman(Little Debbie Snack Cakes) and I'm winning!!

Thank you for all of your great ideas!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 09:54:42 AM »
So, for the past two weeks, I devoted a shelf in our fridge with healthy snacks: all the sandwich makings, boiled eggs, cheese, cut-up veggies, nuts, etc.  It has worked!  My husband loves that he can open the fridge and immediately find something good. I'm feel like I'm fighting the other woman(Little Debbie Snack Cakes) and I'm winning!!

These "sock you in the jaw" kind of realizations make you feel amazing (sometimes I feel a little dumb too, for not realizing it sooner ::)).

Well Done!   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!