Author Topic: CVS: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome  (Read 7006 times)

Offline MamaJ

• Adept
CVS: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
« on: April 08, 2007, 01:32:35 PM »
Hello.  My nephew is three years old, and went through a couple of months of on and off vomiting.  It was not a virus, just seemed random and it was over.  My sister took him to the doctor, and he was diagnosed with CVS, cyclic vomiting syndrome.  The way they explained it to her was that it was migraines in his stomach.  They said there is no cure, and the reccommended treatment is to put him on migraine medication every day for two months to see if there is any improvement.  Has anyone heard of this before? 

Mama J.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:07:10 AM by healthybratt »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: CVS: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 02:41:31 PM »
Try chiropractic treatment. Nerves to every organ in the body run through the spine. If a vertebra is out it can irritate the nerve that is leading to an organ & cause problems in that organ. Which organ depends on which vertebra is out. The nerve for the gall bladder for instance is in the upper back & the is one for the stomach is lower down.

I have an S curve in my spine & the change over is right at the nerve for the gall bladder. That makes that the weakest spot in my back & it goes out a lot. When it's out it irritates my gall bladder & I either get the runs,   (the gall bladder spasms putting out too much bile which is a laxative) vomit bile,  :P :P or have the symptoms of a gall bladder attack. Resetting my back stops it cold. DH has gotten quite good at setting my neck & back. For years before I found out about this Drs were telling me that I needed to have my gall bladder removed (which I refused) but they couldn't figure out why I was having problems since I didn't have stones, my ultrasound only showed a little bit of sand & it wasn't big enough to cause problems. I don't have gall bladder problems, I have a bad back. That isn't the case for everybody but it is in my case. I've been using the back resetting for 16 yrs so if it was truly my gal bladder I would know it by now. I have also stopped the runs numerous times in family members by resetting their backs. I have done it for a few non family members as well but I am cautious about who I offer to do it for. I know how to reset backs & necks but I'm leery of doing it on just anybody. Obviously, the runs have many causes but sometimes it is nothing more than the upper back is out. 

The nerve for the stomach is lower down the back. My DD has a touchy stomach & most of the time when it is bothering her it is because that vertebra is out. When that vertebra is reset, you will feel your stomach flip for a second.

It may be that your nephew is slightly throwing out his back which is causing the vomiting. It could be going in & out which is why the vomiting comes & goes. Is he throwing up bile? (green or yellow & tastes  :P) If so, then it's bile backing up from the gall bladder causing the vomiting. It may NOT be his back but it seems to me that trying chiropractic before putting him on the migraine medicine might be a good idea. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:07:20 AM by healthybratt »

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »
Yes, please do consider a chiropractic adjustment!  I was at a homeschool meeting in January and a chiropractor who specializes in upper cervical adjustments gave a talk.  He specifically mentioned Abdominal Migraines.  Has to be the same thing.  The child would vomit for days on end.  After a series of treatments he had only had one or two short episodes, much less severe. 

I believe that continued chiropractic treatment is probably necessary as a preventive for something like this, as herbalmom alluded to.

I find chiropractic to be a great first step when used in conjunction with other natural healing modalities.  And a good evaluation can rule out an awful lot.  Of course, you want to choose a practioner who has experience with CVS if possible.

You might find this link helpful:
www.meridianinstitute.com/ceu/ceu20mig.html

Definitely look into food allergies.  Read "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:07:29 AM by healthybratt »

Offline MamaJ

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 03:28:48 AM »
This is wonderful!  I never considered a chiropractor!  I took both of my daughters to a chiro when they were newborn because they both had colic.  For my first daughter, it was eliminated within two months.  My second was a different story, she had it until almost 8 months of age.  But I never made the connection for my nephew!  I emailed my sister the link to this discussion, and I really hope she finds it useful! Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Mama J.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:07:38 AM by healthybratt »

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:34:15 AM »
My son had a problem similar to this when he was about 3. Every once in a while, he would just vomit. He never had bellyaches or act sick. He would be fine and then just get a funny look on his face and go puke in the toilet. Then he would come out and be fine. It got to be where it was happening a few times a week, so I took him to the doctor. We had just moved to that town and didn't have a doctor yet, so I took him to a walk in clinic at the hospital. The doctor who looked at him said that it could be a number of things, I don't even remember everything he said it could be. He gave me some medicine to give him. If the problem was one of a couple things he said it could be, then the medicine would probably take care of it. If the medicine didn't work, then it was probably something else.  ??? Anyway, I didn't know anything about natural health then, and I gave him the  medicine. I wish I could remember what it was called. But it worked, he's never vomited like that again. That was five years ago. So I still have no idea what was wrong with him, but now I think he has digestive/bowel problems, and I wonder if it is related.  ??? Sorry I couldn't answer your question, just added my own.  :-\
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 07:59:18 AM »
Here is a chart showing which vertebrae go with which part of the body. It's at the bottom of the page so just scroll down:

Spine Chart

I thought that this would make it easier to understand.

I had also posted this link on 2 other threads & a couple of people said that it's didn't work. I don't know, it works fine for me. Anyway, here is another link for a different chart, hopefully it works.

New Spine Chart

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 08:41:40 AM by herbalmom »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »
Some further info that might help- Men can crack their backs in a standard doorway if they know how. I was talking to DH & he said that it gets most of the back but not quite all. My DH, for instance, can get most of the vertebrae that affect the gall bladder on his own but sometimes T4- the top one that affects the gall bladder goes out & he can't get it himself & he will have to have me do it. Women's muscles are laid out differently & doorways are the wrong size for a woman to use so it usually won't work for a women.

Something else that DH told me that I didn't know is that many truck stops have chiropractors on site & they are set up for walk ins- no appointments needed. Could be handy to know when you need to see a chiro whenever you can fit it in. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
In the past 13 days, my 4yo DS has had 5 vomiting episodes. I wasn't to concerned (what with the flu going around) but last night was the first time he vomited without having any type of tomatoes/tomato sauce first.  I had thought he was getting to much acid.  It has always happened at night 2-4a.m. and lasts 1-2 hours. 

I started looking online for info and there is very little hope out there for CVS.  So I was thrilled when I found that the topic had been covered on WTM.   ;D

Herbal Mom - are you a trained chiropractor?  If not, were did you learn to adjust others?  Do you have any books, movies, or other helps you can recommend?

Thanks, biecmom
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot