Author Topic: fried plantains  (Read 9639 times)

Offline cajunmom

• Learning
fried plantains
« on: April 04, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »
Help!  I thought I would be creative with the kids snacks, so I bought some plantains.  But, now that I look for a recipe, I can't find one.  Does anyone have a good recipe for fried plantains????  Can you fry them in coconut oil??? 
Thanks

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: fried plantains
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:40:52 AM »
This is my dh's favorite breakfast.  I just use coconut oil or olive oil (about 1 Tbs. or so for 2 plantains), and slice the plantain into diagonal slices (so there's about 6-7).  These fry fast, so I keep the heat low (4-5), fry on one side until it's a deep yellow or getting light brown, then do the same on the other side.  By frying it on low, the plantain is "cooked" all the way through.  Some people like it with cinnamon. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:42:53 AM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:11:14 PM »
Did anyone else have a hard time eating a plantain, because your brain kept telling you it should taste like a banana?  Then, it turned out tasting like a potato!!  :D

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »
I'm confused ... isn't plantain a weed/herb?  Does it look like a banana?
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:21:35 PM »
I'm confused ... isn't plantain a weed/herb?  Does it look like a banana?
Erin,
It is a vegetable that looks like a banana and tastes like a strange potato. 

Maybe I didn't cook my right, but I didn't like it.  Maybe I should give it another try with Kati*did's instructions.

Missi

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 05:48:01 PM »
Thanks Missi.  Just looked it up on wikipedia as well.  It really does look like a banana.  Then typed in plantain nz into google to see if we have any here and could only find references to English Plantain which is a grass-like weed.  I'm assuming the plantain that is good for bites/stings etc is the leaf from the banana-like one??
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »
Thanks Missi.  Just looked it up on wikipedia as well.  It really does look like a banana.  Then typed in plantain nz into google to see if we have any here and could only find references to English Plantain which is a grass-like weed.  I'm assuming the plantain that is good for bites/stings etc is the leaf from the banana-like one??
I'm not sure where the plaintain bananas come from, but the plaintain weed (for bites) just grows in most yards around here.  Definitely not the same thing.  No wonder English is a hard language to learn, huh?

Missi

Well, now that I have looked them both up, I can see that they are spelled differently.  duh...  ha ha ha   Although- a lot of the websites I found spell them both each way.  No wonder I'm confused.  :D     

banana looking vegie- plaintain  herb- plantain ? ? ? ?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 06:31:06 PM by miff aka Missi »

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »
People cook them here in coconut milk and then lightly salt them.  I LOVE them.  mmmm. 

Offline cajunmom

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 06:14:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone!  I am going to try them tommorow... I thought they'd taste like bananas, too!  I guess we'll see if the kids like them...
Melissa

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 06:56:37 AM »
I realize this is a terribly old thread but I thought I'd update it and try my hand at my first post on the new format  ;)  Plantains need to look like they are going bad before you cook them if you want them to be sweet and taste like fried bananas.  They will be brown and still have a bit of firmness to them.  It's a hard call until you get used to how they look and feel.  I cut the top a bit to start the peeling process since the skin is so thick.  The best way to peel them is under running water.  Somehow that makes it easier and seems to keep the skin from peeling in layers.  I then cut them diagonaly to make oval shapes or cut it in half lengthwise and then cut each half into strips.  I find the easiest way to fry them is in a deep fryer but pan frying works well.  I like to cook them until they carmelize just a touch and then remove them to drain on a brown paper bag.  That just seems to keep them from sticking to anything and we love them so much that we don't want to lose any of the fruit to a paper towel.  They're gone in a flash and usually we all have burnt toungues because we can't wait for them to cool.  The best oil for us is coconut but I used to use olive oil all the time.  We find that if they are ripe, they need no sugar or cinnamon.  If they are still green, they have a potato taste and I have no preparation expertise in that area at all  :D  I've learned all this over time and trials but mostly from my Cuban friends when I lived in S. Florida.