Author Topic: Does anyone have a Vita Mix or Health Master 100?  (Read 30236 times)

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
Re: Does anyone have a Vita Mix or Health Master 100?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 06:38:04 AM »
It was great to see a VitaMix thread:) If anyone else has Vitamix tricks and recipes I'd love to read them.

Smoothies are pretty easy to come up with because you don't need to vary the speed or when you add things to achieve what you want. But I'd surely love to read about any particularly yummy recipes.

Soups are different because you need to add things later to keep them chunky. Do any of you have additional recipes? I have looked at their website and also online, but am looking for tried and true, mom tested ideas on soups, snacks and etc.

Also, I have seen postings about nut butters. How do you get all of the butter out of the blades? That is the only thing about the VitaMix that drives ME nuts -- I can't seem to get things out of the blades w/o puncturing my spatula. Tricks or suggestions?

View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 07:21:07 AM »
Hello, good to 'see' you again.

I used to make a lot of soups in mine but I haven't done it for a awhile. 

I usually make smoothies and Ice cream.

For the ice cream I just put a bunch of frozen fruit and a little bit of yogurt, honey, coconut oil and vanilla.  Don't overmix or it will be a smoothie.

I also wish they'd come up with a design in which the blades were not always so hard to get the food off of.  The best thing I've found is the handle of a long wooden spoon.  Maybe someone out there has a better idea. ???

YoopreMama

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »
hhmom--Do you have their scrapers?

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
hhmom--Do you have their scrapers?

They have scrapers?  Wow!  I'll have to look into that.  I bought mine second hand.  I had birthday money and I really wanted to get one but I didn't have enough money.  I found one on Craig's List for $200.  It was the newest model and only used 6 or 7 times.  I love it.  The comany's great too.  They transferred the warrenty to me and sent me a free replacement tamper when the kids used it for an outdoor sword and lost it.

YoopreMama

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 02:07:23 PM »
They sent me mine as a free gift in '03--3 of them and they're FABULOUS (I think they're not too pricey...a few bucks each?)!  It's still a little tricky getting stuff off of the blades, but these things are hard, narrow plastic...indestructible!  :D

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 06:42:11 PM »
Where is the best place to purchase the Vitamix jar for grain grinding?  what exactly am I looking for here?

YoopreMama

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 02:09:23 AM »
The Vita-Mix company sells it  ($80?) or you can try finding one at craigslist or eBay...it's pretty much identical to their regular blending cannister that comes w/ the machine, except the blades are designed differently for grinding.  Some tell me the regular ("wet") cannister works to grind decently, too.  :)

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »
Ok - I did a trial run with the "wet" container and it seems to work great for grinding grain into flour.  What are the advantages/reasons for getting a dry container?  Anyone know?  Thanks!

YoopreMama

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
I think the dry container *may* get it finer, but that's all I can think of.  :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »
Ok - I did a trial run with the "wet" container and it seems to work great for grinding grain into flour.  What are the advantages/reasons for getting a dry container?  Anyone know?  Thanks!

If you look at the blades in both the dry & wet containers they are different. Grinding is different than pureeing so each type of blade is different. Also the containers are shaped different (actually, it's the indented areas on the container that are different) b/c the food moves differently when it is wet compaired to dry. The dry container grinds finer & the blades will dull faster in a wet container if you are using it for grains. If you don't want to get a dry container or until you do you could use the wet container to 'blender batter' grind grains. Sue Gregg has recipes in her breakfast & muffins cookbooks. Or at least the edition I have does, from what I understand she has updated her books & I don't know if the newer editions have 'blender batter' recipes. My editions are from the early '90's. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Craig A. Shaner

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »
The Vita-Mix is the ROLLS ROYCE of Blenders/Juicers/Smoothie-Margarita Makers/Ice Crushers/Soup Makers/Baby Food Makers/etc. I bought my first one out of the classifieds for only $50!! The guy selling it, bought the so called "fancy blender" for his wife who only used it twice. I found my second one in a box of junk & traded a $10 rug for it (we keep that one in the RV). Calling the VITA-MIX a blender is like calling the Grand Canyon a little tiny valley. MY ADVICE BUY THE VITA-MIX!! It has lasted me over 30 years with no problems what so ever!! I have lost 50 lbs.(& have kept it off!), tripled my energy, and have drastically improved my families health! I have heard the Heath-Master breaks down after a few months. If my house or RV was on fire and it came down to saving my wife or our VITA-MIX.....I would...mmmmmm save my wife just as long as she was carrying the VITA-MIX! If she wasn't, well her SINGLE twin sister loves the VITA-MIX as much as I do! BUY THE VITA-MIX, it is a little pricey but so is "QUALITY"...it's made in the USA verses the CHINA made HeathMaster!
It's the CADDILAC the ROLLS ROYCE of these kitchen appliances!! I know things are tight & everyone once to save a buck so shop around especially the clasiffieds and maybe you'll spot a slightly used VITA-MIX! BUT MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION & GET A VITA-MIX!! Live, Love, Laugh & Learn. Craig A. Shaner Dayton, OHIO
 :)

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2009, 12:53:30 PM »
The Vita-Mix is the ROLLS ROYCE of Blenders/Juicers/Smoothie-Margarita Makers/Ice Crushers/Soup Makers/Baby Food Makers/etc. I bought my first one out of the classifieds for only $50!! The guy selling it, bought the so called "fancy blender" for his wife who only used it twice. I found my second one in a box of junk & traded a $10 rug for it (we keep that one in the RV). Calling the VITA-MIX a blender is like calling the Grand Canyon a little tiny valley. MY ADVICE BUY THE VITA-MIX!! It has lasted me over 30 years with no problems what so ever!! I have lost 50 lbs.(& have kept it off!), tripled my energy, and have drastically improved my families health! I have heard the Heath-Master breaks down after a few months. If my house or RV was on fire and it came down to saving my wife or our VITA-MIX.....I would...mmmmmm save my wife just as long as she was carrying the VITA-MIX! If she wasn't, well her SINGLE twin sister loves the VITA-MIX as much as I do! BUY THE VITA-MIX, it is a little pricey but so is "QUALITY"...it's made in the USA verses the CHINA made HeathMaster!
It's the CADDILAC the ROLLS ROYCE of these kitchen appliances!! I know things are tight & everyone once to save a buck so shop around especially the clasiffieds and maybe you'll spot a slightly used VITA-MIX! BUT MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION & GET A VITA-MIX!! Live, Love, Laugh & Learn. Craig A. Shaner Dayton, OHIO
 :)
Whoever you are, Craig, you are way cool!   ;D  We have had our VM for 15 years now and we just moved to Guatemala and that is one thing that we brought along.   We love it, I don't want to repeat what was said above but I love the humor.  8)

BTW------Could we start a thread on VM recipes and hints?????????????????????please?????????????????????

Offline Craig A. Shaner

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 01:17:57 AM »
Health Master: First Jack Lallaine pushed it, now Montel Williams. They changed the HOST so it appears to be a brand new machine/blender! It's junk! It's cheaper then a VITA-MIX and might last a year but it's cheap junk from CHINA. The VITA-MIX is the ROLLS ROYCE that in the long run will save you time, money and aggravation. I own TWO VITA-MIXES. One for the house and one for our RV! I've had them for over 20 years with NO PROBLEMS! Why do you think, Health Spas, BARS & Juice bars use them. It's like the Dollar Stores...you think you are getting a great deal because it's cheaper until it breaks. Do yourself a favor and check the classified section of your paper, Tradin Post, or Wheeler Dealer (or what ever name they use for your FOR SALE papers in your town) search for a USED Vita-Mix...I bought TWO over 6 months for less than $70!!! (Yes, Seventy Dollars!) Be ready with your money and be the early bird that gets the worm!! I have tripled my energy, lost 50 lbs. and have kept it off....and my entire family is HOOKED on juicing!! It's MAGIC! It's AMAZING!
Live, Love, Laugh and Learn...
Craig Amazing Shaner One Healthy Magician in Dayton, Ohio USA Planet Earth
 ;)

Offline Craig A. Shaner

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 01:36:33 AM »
If the SMOOTHIE (or whatever) is too thick the VITA-MIX will gets hot (overheated) & THANK GOD shuts itself off!  This is a wonderful safety feature so you don't burn up the motor. Let it cool for a minute, hit the reset button (located on the back) and away you go!
  Just like a car, if your engine gets too HOT your temperature gauge will go into the RED to let you know,then it's up to you to make a decision. TOO BAD CARS don't have this feature and shut themselves off.....my brother just blew up his Honda Accord, blew the gasket, warped the engines heads and maybe ruined the engine!! DO YOU WORK WHEN YOU ARE OVER HEATED?  Live, Love , Laugh, & Learn  Amazing  Shaner