Author Topic: Does anyone have a Vita Mix or Health Master 100?  (Read 30454 times)

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
Does anyone have a Vita Mix or Health Master 100?
« on: April 01, 2007, 06:19:32 PM »
I would love to get a Vita Mix but they are so expensive.  Now I see Jack Lalanne has a Health Master 100 that does the same thing for half the price.  It seems to be very comparable, but I don't know anyone that has one.  Any information anyone has on either one would be greatly appreciated.

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
Re: Does anyone have a Vita Mix or Health Master 100?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:16:55 AM »
I have a Vita Mix and wouldnt trade it for anything.  I use it for smoothies, soup, canning, ( I never peel my tomatoes when making juice, the Vita Mix chops them so fine) even making flour.  I have an old one that was my moms and I love it!   Great choice.
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

YoopreMama

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 05:10:04 AM »
I have a Vita-Mix; no idea about the other machine.  Have had the VM for a few years and love it/use it often...only complaint is the noise, and yes it was costly. 

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:09:17 AM »
I have a Vitamix and wouldn't trade it for anything. We use ours without fail at least once a day. I use it to grind up food for my baby (I also have a hand crank food grinder), smoothies, grinding oatmeal to flour, mayonnaise, etc. Can't say anything about the Health Master. I've never heard of it.

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:56:23 PM »
I just bought  a vita mix. I love it. The health mixer looks very similar. And I think it has the same power, check that out. And find out what the guarantee  and warranty is on it. If it is the same as the vita mix then why not try it. I bought mine because of recommendations from friends. And one person called up 5 years after she bought her because she lost a part and they sent her a new one free. I have been wanting a vita mix for years and have been afraid to buy one because of the price.
Since I got it every night I make my husband goat yogurt ice cream and every morning I make green smoothies with kale or parsley or wheat grass and fruit and it is so delicious! I am really glad I invested in it. I have used it every day.

Offline joeswife

• Adept
    • Jumping on the bed.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »
Don't know about the Health Master....but, I love my vita mix. We invested in the dry blade container and I grind my flour with it. I make smoothies, white sauce, soup, juice and milkshakes in it. I think every household needs one. Totally worth the price, I use it every day.

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 02:32:59 PM »
Ok, now I've heard of this "vita-mix" a few times.  Does it REALLY do all that it claims to do?  How does it make ice cream AND generate heat to make soup?  Does it dice or just blend?  How is the quality of it's kneading?  How can it possibly do all of this???

Offline sierra

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »
I LOVE my vitamix. It gets used atleast twice a day.  We make kefir smoothies, ice cream, soup, etc.  My one year old runs to the kitchen and starts laughing and getting a straw out when she hears it turn on.  She loves her smoothies :D
I have the most wonderful job: wife to Craig,  mommy to Orrin (7), Mostyn (6), Praise (4),  Sasona Joy (2) and Berwynn (born 1-15-08)

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 03:31:40 PM »
Ok, now I've heard of this "vita-mix" a few times.  Does it REALLY do all that it claims to do?  How does it make ice cream AND generate heat to make soup?  Does it dice or just blend?  How is the quality of it's kneading?  How can it possibly do all of this???
My experience: The speed makes cold things colder and warm things warmer.  I wouldn't say it dices well, but I chop onions in it.  It really does many functions, yes.  It kneads 1 loaf very quickly. Very different type of dough (wetter), but it did work well. I have 2 canisters w/ different blades--one for wet things (smoothies, soups) and a dry canister for grinding. I use it a lot...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:50:24 AM by YooperMama »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 07:15:41 PM »
Ok, now I've heard of this "vita-mix" a few times.  Does it REALLY do all that it claims to do?  How does it make ice cream AND generate heat to make soup?

It generates heat because the the blades move so fast that the friction they cause heats up what's in it. It can make ice cream because when you pulverize something that is frozen (& to make ice cream you have to have part of your ingredients frozen) some of the cold is transfered to the other ingredients in the Vita Mix so the whole thing freezes into soft serve ice cream. The blades are still creating friction & if you left the ice cream ingredients running in the Vita Mix they would eventually boil. So it just depends on what temp your food is when you start & how long you let it run. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 09:57:35 PM »
every morning I make green smoothies with kale or parsley or wheat grass and fruit and it is so delicious!

Are you using wheat grass juice or the wheat grass itself? If your using wheat grass itself, do you have to chop it up fine 1st or what?

DD has had wheat grass in apple juice before & everyone has had it as part of KyroGreen & the kids like it. (strange people, I know ::) ::) ::)) I really don't want to buy a wheat grass juicer if I don't have to. I know that there is less oxidation with the hand crank wheat grass juicer but I just don't have the $ right now. I've been thinking about trying it in the VitaMix & figured that I would have to chop the grass 1st into short pieces to keep it from tangling around the blades. If your already doing it in the VitaMix & can give me the crash course, it will save me some experimenting. Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 09:39:38 AM »
every morning I make green smoothies with kale or parsley or wheat grass and fruit and it is so delicious!

Are you using wheat grass juice or the wheat grass itself? If your using wheat grass itself, do you have to chop it up fine 1st or what?

DD has had wheat grass in apple juice before & everyone has had it as part of KyroGreen & the kids like it. (strange people, I know ::) ::) ::)) I really don't want to buy a wheat grass juicer if I don't have to. I know that there is less oxidation with the hand crank wheat grass juicer but I just don't have the $ right now. I've been thinking about trying it in the VitaMix & figured that I would have to chop the grass 1st into short pieces to keep it from tangling around the blades. If your already doing it in the VitaMix & can give me the crash course, it will save me some experimenting. Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Bump

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 01:06:13 AM »
I have a Vitamix, we bought it from some missionary friends who used it to grind corn for their tortillas and then make the mix. They owned it for several years, and they are pretty hard on things. We bought it 4 years ago from them and other than replacing the wet container which was dropped from high up, don't ask!, it has been going strong still. The company even replaced the container, no questions asked. I use it for grinding wheat and other grains and beans into flour in the dry container. And make my green drink, smoothies, sherbet, baby food, peanut butter, and soups in the wet container. If you purchase, invest in both containers. I don't use it as a food processor although some people do. I have a Cuisinart FP that I love and I use that. 

I don't know about the Jack Lalanne blender, but i bought my folks a Lalanne juicer and it is great, It works as good as my Champion or better. The quality is great and it is super quiet.
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 04:50:32 AM »
Hi!
Sorry for the delay.
I use scissors to cut the wheat grass. I have in the past drank the wheat grass juice, yuck! It is the most awful taste to me. Like cabbage juice. But when I put it in the vita mix with fruit ( I use frozen strawberries and kiwis and banana and mango)and almost  always fresh pineapple, usually two of each, mix and match. I buy organic and cut and freeze. It is SO nice. And I love it with kale too. Do you believe it, kale! I read that kale is excellent for you. But the best greens are something called lambsquarters.I like the smoothies with Romain lettuce but it is not as nutritionally packed as kale and the darker greens. My daughter makes a smoothie with beat greens and lemon and stivia. She uses only KAL stivia because it doesn't have an after taste.
  I got the info on greens at  http://grande.nal.usda.gov/NDL or something like that. I wanted to see the nutritional value of greens. If I am going to drink green smoothies I want to get the most out of them. he he
I also got the dvd from the vitamix when I bought it, You use hot water to start when you make soup. And you use ice with the ingredients for Ice cream.The vitamix doesn't make the heat or freeze, it uses what it is given. If you blend along time what ever you are blending will get warmer but I find this happends in my food processor too.
  In my "ice cream"
I don't use ice because I use goat yogurt and frozen fruit and honey. I don't want to dilute the yogurt. I don't have a problem with the "not frozen enough".Because I make it in the morn and put in the freezer till the evening for my husband. I like it right when it is made, it is like soft serve ice cream.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:54:16 AM by faith »

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 05:36:31 PM »
Wow!  Maybe we should start a Vita Mix recipe thread :D

Offline happy2Bhome

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 05:26:03 AM »
I do LOVE our Vitamix, but ours has overheated a few times (when making thick smoothies).  We have had it for several years.  When it first overheated, it just stopped running (shut off).  I called the company after this happened a few times.  She told me to put it in the freezer to cool it off.  Has this happened to anyone else??  I do use mine everyday but am hesitant to use it too much - don't want to overdo it.   :-\

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 06:08:55 AM »
Mine has also done this and when I asked the company and they said the machine actually has an automatic shut off to prevent overheating...so if you are working it to hard it WILL stop and not turn back on until it has cooled off. This is great to me as I used to really burn up blenders!
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 08:12:52 AM »
We don't have a VitaMix, but we do have a BlendTec HP3 blender (same as the new BlendTec EZ)... oh my, that is a fun machine.

It seems like a lot of money, but if you figure that it will last 8 years (the BlendTec's have an 8 year guarantee) and you get it cheap (like we did), then it only costs $2.75 a month more or less... which is probably less than the electricity that it requires to run it.

We got ours used on ebay for $250 + s/h... average street price retail is about $400

The Salsa program is amazing...

--gabe

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 06:55:49 AM »
Does anyone know if if the Bosch mixer with the blender does the same as the Vitamix. I really want both but am wondering if both are needed. Someone who sells Bosch said a Vitamix wouldnt be needed if you have the Bosch with blender. I would love to hear if anyone has both and if you use both regularly? Thank you! Beth in Idaho

cecac

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 07:12:29 AM »
If you want the blender to juice veggies and fruit, then you would likely want to check and compare the rpm and motor size on the Bosch mixer with the Vitamix. 

The Vitamix has the capability to heat creamed soup if you run it on high long enough.  Not sure the Bosch mixer could do that.

The Vitamix makes ice cream, but I am thinking that other blenders could do that, too.

I do have both the Bosch and the VitaMix.  I do not have the Bosch blender, though, so I'm just trying to let you know what the VitaMix does.  Perhaps you could ask the person with whom you are working if the Bosch blender would heat, make fruit/veggie juices, and make ice cream. 

We are a large family, so the investment of both machines has been a good one for us.  We use the Vitamix daily for kefir smoothies, and pulping up leftovers for fresh dog food.  We've used it for ice cream, thicker smoothies, chopping onions, making hummus, baby food.  We use the Bosch for the kneading capability.  We make about 6-7 loaves of bread a week, and it is a real time saver for us.  (And a back pain saver for me!!)  Oh, and we've ground coffee in the dry container of the VitaMix, you can also grind flour for bread making in the dry container.  I don't do this because we need a large amount of flour when we bake, and you have to do smaller batches in the VitaMix.

I don't know if that helps any,
Cara

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 07:19:24 AM »
I have a Vita mix and my mom has the Bosch blender. The Bosch is a good blender but doesn't have near the power of the Vitamix. You can use the Bosch for smoothies but not thick smoothies, icecream or to cooked soup. Thats my experience with the machines :)
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 10:16:09 AM »
I have a Health Master 100. Got it a few months ago. It is great and does everything I want it to. It is very powerful.  I've made soup from raw veggies and it chops them right up.  It is so quick to blend everything up.

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
The Bosch blender is half the power of the Vitamix...my sister-in-law ( the Bosch owner) and I ( the Vitamix owner) noticed a huge difference in power with THICK smoothies and 'raw' oatmeal, nut stuffers, and such from the Rejuvenate un-cookbook sold by Above Rubies...also the Bosch didn't 'heat' up soups...I plan to buy a Bosch for bread kneading, cookie mixing, and such, but plan to always have a Vitamix! They are super strong and so handy!

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 12:39:26 PM »
Wow....thanks for all the information! I did see a demo of the vitamix at Cosco and was just amazed at all it could do. I have a juicer so wouldnt need to juice with it but I loved how it could just mix everything up so well. My understanding is that the Bosch comes with the blender so I guess I am trying not to duplicate things in my kitchen but it sounds like I can not go wrong with the Vitamix! I loved reading everyones input on this. Thanks again! Beth in Idaho

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 05:33:18 AM »
I can't seem to find any other blender that may puree raw vegetables, fruit & ice the way the Vita Mix says it does.  My dh says he doesn't want to pay that much for a Vita Mix and I believe the salesman at Costco is already gone anyway... so please if you know any other blender that can turn raw vegies into smoothies, please let me know!

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 08:08:35 AM »
One more vitamix question.  Has anyone with a VitaMix 5000 had any trouble with the motor?  They are coming out with a newer version with a motor that stays cooler while doing nut butters, etc.  Of course it's going to cost more and I won't get a deal such as at Costco.  I was just wondering if it was ever a problem doing nut butters with the current Vitamix.  Also they've changed the container so that it has no BPA.  I had never thought about a polycarbonate blender leaching into my food.  Anyone with ideas on this?

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »
Go directly to Vitamix company. You also can get reconditioned models for less. We love ours also! :)
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »
It just seems to be almost $200 less if I buy the 5000 model at Costco than if I wait and order the newer model direct from the company.  Glad to hear so many people love theirs, so there can't be too many problems with the older motor.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 07:35:17 AM »
I can't seem to find any other blender that may puree raw vegetables, fruit & ice the way the Vita Mix says it does.  My dh says he doesn't want to pay that much for a Vita Mix and I believe the salesman at Costco is already gone anyway... so please if you know any other blender that can turn raw vegies into smoothies, please let me know!
  A cheap blender will work if you chop the veggies a bit before you throw them in and add liquid (water, kefir, milk, etc).  You will get some "chunks" with harder veggies like carrots, but they are small and drinkable.  I'd love to have a vitamix myself, but only have a $30 blender and I use it when I need to.  I've made smoothies with carrots, apples and parsley (altogether) and it worked fine, so long as I cut up the apple into at least 8 pieces and cut the carrot into about 1 inch chunks.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »
Does the Health Master grind grains also?  I'm having trouble finding info on exactly all the things it does.

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/