Author Topic: What would you do ? (concerning homeopathy + acupressure)  (Read 4261 times)

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
What would you do ? (concerning homeopathy + acupressure)
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:55:44 AM »
I guess I could have put this question in the homeopathy thread or in the acupuncture thread, but it deals with both. The acupuncture part is just there to explain the rest (the homeopathy part).

Last pregnancy I went to see a wonderful midwife who is very pro-natural. We loved all that she explained to us until she started talking about the different "energy zones" in our body (the last one being right above our head -the one in connection with the cosmos...) and how she used acupressure points to deal with different pregnancy/delivery problems. It all sounded pretty weird, and after researching quite a bit on it we came to the conclusion that all this part of Chinese medicine was originated in taoism, and that the spiritual implications were too great for us to go that route. I found all the "explanations" of acupuncture/acupressure were so mingled with philosophical and religious beliefs. No where on the web did I find a scientific explanation, as nobody can prove that this so-called energy that flows through our body and sometimes gets stuck because of disfunctioning "chacras" really does exist. Acupuncture and acupressure are supposed to relieve those chacras so the energy can flow freely again.

Whenever I would confront the midwife with the lack of science in all of this, she would just say "but it works. Who cares where it comes from if it works ?" In other words, if something works, it must be good. The "vaudou" dolls in sorcery also work, but nobody is going to say it is good or beneficial. Evil spiritual powers do exist, and can do things to a certain point (for example the Egyptian magicians).

Anyway, the midwife used checking the patient's pulse to determine which acupressure point needed to be pressed. This is not counting the number of beats per minutes, it is feeling if the pulse is smooth, hard, intense, or whatever else (I don't know all the different ways they describe it). That too has no scientific proof to it.

We were attending birthing classes with the midwife along with another expecting couple. We both had breach babies towards the end. The midwife said she could take care of that through acupressure. She would send a message to the baby so he would turn around. We said we didn't want to do that and preferred just trusting in God. The other lady went along with it and her baby turned around. Mine didn't at first. So we prayed that God would show his power and not let us be confounded because we had refused the midwife's treatment (kinda like Daniel and his friends refusing to eat the sacrificed meat). God answered and our baby did finally turn around.

Now for this pregnancy I'm going back to see the same midwife. She does homeopathy too. I wasn't convinced homeopathy was good, but after reading the different posts on the thread about it on WTM, I figured that if it worked, great, if not, at least it wouldn't harm me no matter what the origins of it may be (the beliefs of its founder). She had told me to try one homeopathic medicine on the phone for my nausea, and I tried it but it didn't do a thing. When I went to see her, she decided to check the quality of my pulse to determine which homeopathic treatment would work for me. Hum... that's the same method she used for acupressure ! I don't get it, if homeopathy originates in Germany, why does it use the same method as an oriental medicine ? I asked her to explain to me what she was doing and how it worked. She said : "I just empty my thoughts and spirit, and I just say the name of the medicine. Then I feel what your pulse does. When I said the no 1 medicine, your pulse stayed normal. When I said the other one, your pulse was harder. So that's the one that will work for you." I can't imagine how her thought might influence my pulse ? If that is not spiritual, I don't know what it is, certainly not scientific...

So now what should I do ? Should I try the treatment she prescribed to me after determining it that way ? If anybody had some sound Christian and informed advice I would be thankful.

Offline Beth

• Adept
Re: What would you do ? (concerning homeopathy + acupressure)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55:04 AM »
Read the book  "On Alternative Medicine " By Rodney Mast . You can order it from www.anabaptistbooks.com for 4.50. It will thoroughly explain homeopathy to you. It shows that there is no proven science behind it. The book  is christian in perspective. It also talks about many other alternative medicines.        As for homeopathy my personal opinon is, don't use it. I also have heard a strange story connected with it and applied kineseology.  Several years ago I read a tract about a woman using the two together, in the same way, to determine  which remedy to use. Somehow it ended up that thre two kept asking questions  (using muscle testing  to get the correct answer) until they were delving into supposed past lives!  They supposedly found out the one woman was Jesus' sister!  At this point the woman writing the tract gets scared and begins cying and immediately left and went home to her husband. They both prayed and renounced it.    Further study proved to them that (in their opinion) neither kineseology or homeopathy were of God but that  their powers to heal had to come from somewhere?!         Also one of their children had asthma very badly and they often used homeopathy for it.  When they renounced it he began to improve dramatically.   Well those are my thoughts.  The book is very good at explaining the "no science behind it" thing. It goes into detail about just exactly how homeopathic remedies are made. I hope this helps.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:52:09 AM by Beth »
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »
I am so glad that you are bringing this up because just in the last few months I have also started to question these practices.  I see nothing wrong with doing things naturally, but when you look at the background of these practices you can't help but know they are not of God.  As I began to research this subject I googled "Christian views on Applied Kinesiology" and "Christian views on alternative medicines" and there was a wealth of knowledge.  It really opened my eyes and my husband and I are praying for wisdom because so many of our friends are involved in these.  Personally, I would no longer go to that midwife, but you and your husband should research what you can, pray for wisdom and then trust that He will lead you in the way you should go.  He is so faithful!  I'll be praying for you.   

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 01:09:40 AM »
  Your midwife is clearly not concerned about the why's and how's of it working. I'm afraid i would have a hard time trusting her. What does your dh say about all this?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 01:14:58 AM »
If I had a midwife doing/saying that kind of stuff, I'd be gone, post-haste.  That said, my ND has used a number of homeopathy treatments on me and had NEVER done what yours did.  She has checked my pulse like once in over a year and that was at the beginning when she met me and she also took my bp, etc.  Otherwise, the homeopathy remedies she has prescribed have been based on what's wrong with me and what these different treatments will fix.  She has never seen my son but gave me some Allergiplex for his allergies and the stuff works great.  She has given me liver cleansing homeopathy stuff and never related any of it like what your midwife has.  If my ND ever did try to pull that I'd be gone in a heartbeat.  It almost sounds to me like your midwife has done a lot of reading and is somehow following what "someone" said to do vs. learning how to just prescribe the stuff for the person's medical needs and use it.  

You have to be VERY careful with chinese medicine and new agey kind of stuff.  My MIL used chinese medicine for over two years to treat her cancer.  We let the doctor know in no uncertain terms there were things he was not allowed to do/say, etc.  So all he basically did was give her the herbal teas to try and treat the cancer and use acupuncture to try and get her bone marrow functioning.  Both worked for a long time, and then stopped.  You just really have to be careful.  I think I'd find an ND that delivers babies (they have many family practice ND's) because they are much less likely to be like this woman.  But it's very good that you are being so cautious because today I think there are too many christians who are going head strong into this stuff without thinking about how to protect themselves.  Oh, one other example.  We never allowed the chinese doc to play the chinese music they use because it tends to induce a too relaxed state of mind and no one needs to offer satan any help in getting into the mind.....

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 01:29:22 AM »
Sorry my prevous post gave the wrong website  for the book "On Alternative Medicine " By Rodney Mast . I have corrected it if you want to check.  Also I would recommend this book for anyone questioning either homeopathy , accuppuncture or other alternatives. It is  just the facts no speculation on the part of the author that I can tell.
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 10:01:12 AM »
Thanks for your answers. Not going to see that midwife isn't really an possibility, as where I live (France), medical staff are either very medically oriented or natural + alternative medicine oriented. There really isn't much in between. I really like this midwife as far as personality goes, and if I tell her I do not want her alternative treatments, she respects that and I know I can trust her not to do anything that I don't want. She has many other good points I haven't mentioned ! She is the first one I've met who is pro-natural delivery and gives many tips on how to deal with pain in birthing, on how to find a good position to deliverer, etc. BTW, she doesn't actually deliver, I have to go to a hospital or clinic for that. She only does the check-ups during pregnancy up until the 7th month, offers birthing classes, and does the "perineum reeducation" (I talked about it in another thread and still haven't found the proper English expression for it !).

I was just wondering about the homeopathy thing, if I should follow her advice on that or not. She knows what I think about acupressure, and we  are very clear that I am against that, so she won't bring it up again. My question was more "is homeopathy good or bad knowing that she uses the same pulse technique as she does with acupressure ?".

My husband said this morning I should just take the homeopathy to prove to her it doesn't work. I have mixed feelings, because in a way I would like it to work (I am sick and tired of this all--day-long nausea) and in another way I agree with my husband, I don't want it to work !

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 09:59:09 AM »

My husband said this morning I should just take the homeopathy to prove to her it doesn't work. I have mixed feelings, because in a way I would like it to work (I am sick and tired of this all--day-long nausea) and in another way I agree with my husband, I don't want it to work !
  It is so hard when you don't feel well to make these kinds of decisions!  I remember being willing to try just about anything!  If you haven't already done this, I would really recommend reading some of the info on the internet about homeopathy from a Christian perspective and then passing that info on to your husband.  I continue to see (not often) my natural doctor who does the applied kinesiology (sp) because she is the only one around and my dh decided it would be OK.  I won't let her do that to me anymore, but I trust my dh.  Continuing to pray for  wisdom and clarity.   

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 10:27:39 AM »
Speaking for you and your baby I would say no way!!  If you want to protect yourself and your child from any spiritual ramifications then I would steer clear of the midwife and the homeopathy.  There are some very serious things that just dabbling in this can cause.  There is a book by Neil T. Anderson and Dr. Michael Jacobson called The Biblical Guide to Alternative Medicine that you should read.  It has everything in it.  Even having the midwife check your pulse is putting you at risk for demonic activity.  My personal opinion.  Check out the book Pigs in the Parlor by Frank and Ida Hammond and that will give your hubby and you enough info to stay away. 
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 10:44:15 AM »
Well, I can't say I wouldn't go to the midwife, since I so prefer them to doctors...

As for the homeopathy- it doesn't sound at all scientific, so I'd ask dh if I could just avoid the homeopathic treatments altogether, and seek herbal medical answers (herbal medicine and homeopathy are not the same, as you know). I'm sorry you feel sick all the time, I know that's not fun... (dh can pray for you, concerning the spiritual stuff that may be (is?) going on along with her assistance.)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."