Author Topic: Trigger Finger  (Read 3787 times)

Offline skinnyankles

• Learning
Trigger Finger
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:12:19 PM »
Hi, I'm new here, you all helped my daughter, treat my grandaughters painful earache.  I love how this younger generation is learning and using nature and wisdom in healing and living. Thanks to all of you for your information and supportive attitudes.

Now I have a question about trigger finger.  Does anyone know of exercises to prevent the need for surgery?  From what I read surgery is the general treatment and most exercises I find on the internet are for post op, yet the general conses is that surgery is inevitable if left untreated for 4 months. Mine is about 6 weeks in progress.

Some suggestions I have gleaned have been: soaking it in hot water, using a brace to keep the finger from curling and one hand exercise that is quite painful.  I am concerned about irritating an inflamed situation, yet I don't want to cause any atrophy.

So any suggestions would be appreciated. I have not seen a physician yet.

I would love to avoid surgery.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Trigger Finger
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 03:15:45 AM »
I would consider supporting the injury with DMSO applications. I know of one instance where a man was facing shoulder surgery. The DMSO helped the ligaments tone and heal, avoiding surgery. Even if this is not the case for you, in my opinion it would be worth it to try.

Here is a thread on the subject
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3888.0.html
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline skinnyankles

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:39:08 PM »
I will try that for trigger Finger, I agree, it won't hurt to try, I have also heard of its benefits for joint but hadn't thought of it- at least not yet.  Thank you for your recommendation.

I'll try it and let you know of its results.

My dog has benefited with DMSO. she had an infection in the flap of her ear as a result of surgery, due to the infection we were highly encouraged to have the flap removed.  But greatfully the referal doctor couldn't see us for 4 days. By then the other dr in our vet clinic had returned and gave our dog's ear a cleaning and again suggested surgery but was supportive of our request to continue to cleanse it with H2O2 and home made Real Salt normal saline.  Fortunitatly after that every visit the ear imporved slightly. 

We were sure it was our "good" Normal Saline and the H2O2 and still think that had a big part. 3 weeks later when our dog was healed  we were all happy at the transformation from a bad infection from a surgical wound to complete healing.  My husband bragged about the H2O2 and NS tx.  Then the Vet. said, Oh ,I think it was the DMSO that I put on her ear when I cleaned it for you. She continued telling us that when she was a young vet and took a weekend off, the old horse doctor vets that would cover for her always used DMSO with such good results that she began copying their practice.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:37:24 PM »
What a great story! Could you post that under DMSO?
Just one thing, though, you want to try and find a non-vet solution of DMSO. Although the bottles are labeled "not for human use" for FDA legal reasons, you can find sources that don't produce solutions for animal applications (pharmaceutical applications). There are some listed on the DMSO thread. I'll be looking for your post on how your finger comes along.

I like how you called it your 'trigger finger.' Hope you're better in time for the shoot out! :D :D
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline skinnyankles

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Yes, trigger finger sounds like I am giving a affectionate name to general finger pain.  Just in case someone doens't know about the tendon problem in trigger finger I have lifted the explanation from the mayo clinic web sites explanation.

Trigger finger is a condition in which one of your fingers or your thumb catches in a bent position. Your finger or thumb may straighten with a snap — like a trigger being pulled and released. If trigger finger is severe, your finger may become locked in a bent position.

An often painful condition, trigger finger is caused by a narrowing of the sheath that surrounds the tendon in the affected finger. People whose work or hobbies require repetitive gripping actions are most susceptible to this condition. Trigger finger is also more common in women than in men, and in anyone with diabetes.

Treatment of trigger finger, also known as stenosing tenosynovitis, varies depending on the severity of the condition. Treatment ranges from rest to medications to surgery.