Author Topic: Dandelion  (Read 31743 times)

kaira

Re: Dandelion
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 05:17:57 AM »
My Laura Ingalls Wilder cookbook has a dandelion soup recipe - I didn't read the whole thread but I can post it if anyone wants it.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 06:37:10 AM »
Please post it.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 08:16:26 AM »
Bump for the recipe.
And to add this one...

Dandelion Greens with Sausage

1 gal. dandelion
1 lb. smoked sausage
3 small potatoes, cut and diced
2 Tbsp. rice
4 Tbsp. vinegar
1 to 1 1/2 qt. water
1 tsp. salt

Wash and cut 1 gallon dandelion greens.
Place in bottom of medium size pot.
Put 1 pound of sausage, cut in pieces, in pot.
Put more dandelion greens on top of sausage.
Cut and dice potatoes and put on top of greens.
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of rice over potatoes.

Add water and boil all 40 minutes and add 4 tablespoons of vinegar before serving. If needed may added more water if it starts to boil dry.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

kaira

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »
sorry for the delay... I haven't had much time lately and truthfully I forgot all about this.  My apologies :-[

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Dandelion Soup

1/4 C butter
1 C finely chopped dandelion leaves
1 T minced garlic
1 T minced chives
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 T flour
4 C milk

1.  Melt butter; add greens, herbs and seasonings.  Saute for about 10 minutes to cook greens, stirring constantly.  Leaves will shrink and soften.

2.  Sprinkle in flour, stirring to coat greens evenly.  Cook about 5 minutes. 

3.  Stir in milk, cooking over low heat until smooth.  Simmer until greens are tender, approximately 5 minutes.  Serve hot. 

Makes 6 servings

I'd love to hear what you all think of this recipe - let me know if you try it.  My hubby hasn't been too thrilled with the idea of dandelion soup :P  I am interested though. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »
My mother gave me a recipe to make kimchi out of dandelions.  I have to find it  ;D but if anyone is interested, I'll try harder to find it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 12:07:38 PM »
My mother gave me a recipe to make kimchi out of dandelions.  I have to find it  ;D but if anyone is interested, I'll try harder to find it.
Found it.  I posted it under the Korean food thread.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 11:51:04 AM »
Can you take dandelion in capsule form and it still be beneficial?  If so, does anyone have a good source?   
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 05:55:05 AM »
Article of interest.  The thing most noted is that those with gallbladder problems or reflux shouldn't take it.  Not sure of the validity, but the article is worth a read.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/PrintablePages/herbMonograph/0,11475,4025,00.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Freedom

• Learning
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »
Oh I can't wait to try this!  I've heard of some of these uses for dandelions, but my mind was blown away with all these options!  Maybe now I can convince DH NOT to spray the lawn with weed killer.... ::)
"The king is enthralled by your beauty;
       honor him, for he is your lord."

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »
 ;D ATTN: PREGGO LADIES!!!  ;D

I read an interesting article about dandelions and, along with the many culinary uses for the dandelion, there was an interesting tidbit on another use. It stated that a dandelion leaf can be used as a home pregnancy test. You urinate on a leaf and then leave it (somewhere small children can't get ahold of it) and if you are pregnant it will get reddish spots on the leaves. ** in rereading this I realized that horrible mental images were going to come to mind  :o if I did not clarify to PICK THE LEAF FIRST and do this test in the privacy of your bathroom! ;)** I can't remember how long you had to wait and the article is packed away in my storage unit right now........ I am not pregnant so was wondering if any of you adventurous ladies would want to give this a try for me and let me know if it works. I am very curious!
 I actually read this article awhile ago but until becoming part of WTM never knew anyone who would consider such a tidbit interesting. I LOVE being a part of WTM!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 10:10:20 AM »
LOL @ bebbyjo.  Yeah that is an awful image of someone outside in their yard doing their own dandelion  preg test LOL.   :D

That is interesting. I also would like to know if it shows up red for a preg lady. Come on one of you preg ladies needs to go pick a dandelion leaf and pee on it and tell us the results. aw come on just give it a try it wont hurt ya, we have to pee a lot when preg anyways.

I'm not preg but I should go outside and pick a leaf and pee on it just to see what it does. If it turns red i'll know the test don't work but I ain't got a uterus so I know I'm not preg. LOL.

Now who is willing to try it? Come on be brave give it a try! See if it works.

YoopreMama

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:32 AM »
LOL...my friend in Houston is always telling me to do this.  Unfortunately, by the time our dandelion leaves appear, I SHOULD be done being PG.  :D

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 03:09:09 AM »
Ummm....  I just tried it. Nothing yet internet says wait one hour....

:-[   ::) 

Emily

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 03:44:59 AM »
I can just imagine going to the Dr for your first pregnancy check-up (i usually don't go in until I am 3 to 5 month along...i know it is bad in some eyes, but...) Anyway, here is the scene:

In a Dr's office, sitting on the "bed" with nurse taking blood pressure. She is all excited that you are expecting. As she writes down the info you give her she is asking, "How are ___(dh) and the boys?" I answer, "Doing great!" and she asks more questions, with written questins thrown in. "Are you just late, or did you take a pregnancy test?" she asks.

"Oh, I am late, but I kinda took a test, in a round about way." I reply

"What do you mean?" she asks as she records my blood pressure.

"Well, I have these crazy friends and they told me to use a dandellion leaf as if it were a pregnancy test. It had red spots, so here I am."

"What?!?!" she exclaims. "I have NEVER heard of that before! Wait until Dr. ____ hears of this!"

The Dr eventually comes in and says, "Ch_____ tell me you did not take an actualy test, and something about dandellions?"

As I explain again what I did the Dr will look at me as if I am crazy. He will say, "Hold that thought I need to check on something" He will them procede to leave the room and call my dh to see if I was recently in a mental institution for hallucinations and such. Then he will call the mental ward of the hospital to see if they have heard of dandellion syndromn. He then will procede to test my blood, ect to see if I truly am pregnant and seeing that I am he will think that I made the whole story up. At this point I will take a baggie of fresh picked dandellion leaves from my purse and demand that a bunch of pregnant and unpregnant ladies test it in the office. At this time I will be reomoved by security......end of daydream.

No, I am NOT pregnant, but I think I wil try this when i suspect I am next! CJ

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 03:51:05 AM »
OK I let them sit in the lovely cup for an hour and nothing.....  So either my urine was not strong enough... bad leaves...shouldn't have rinsed off the dirt first....or it is junk. Who knows now a non pregnant lady do it and see what happens.

(Maybe this is really a test to see if you have a UTI.... One of you that has that problem test it out.)

OK I was a goober that tried it. Now you guys must humor me and try it also.

Emily

Offline Siege

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 04:02:45 AM »
I would, Em, but there is still 2 feet of snow out there! Bump, bump! We need 2 more ladies, at least, to try this! 1 non-preggo and one with a UTI! I wanna know! This summer if dh consents I want to get preggo and i want to send a red leaf to my mom (in a baggie of course, and she will freak!). I really want this to work.....CJ  :P

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 04:50:56 AM »
Ok.  I am NOT pregnant.  I'll go get a dandelion leaf and be back in a few minutes.  :)

Leat

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 06:04:48 AM »
Ok, nothing but a wet leaf. 

Leat

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 06:24:20 AM »
I appreciate you ladies trying this experiment for me!!! I knew I could rely on you! I, not being pregnant, couldn't have done it...... Em, please don't call yourself a goober. I think your wonderful and appreciate you doing this experiment for me! Thank you Ladies!!!  :-* :-* :-*

Oh, and I have to admit to being rather disappointed that it didn't work. I had really hoped that I had found a cheap alternative for when I was wondering.......

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 06:40:57 AM »
Don't worry Goober or similar names are a term of endearment here. ::)   :D

Emily

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »
I've been waiting to hear the results of this "test".  I knew someone was bound to try it.  I asked my neighbor to do it but we don't have dandelions popping up quite yet.   I'd love to hear someone say that it DOES work :)

Offline Siege

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
I am bummed. I thought it would be cool it if worked. CJ

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 10:52:56 AM »
I done the test.  Im not preg but I did just get over a UTI. Nothing happened. I let the dandelion leaf sit in the pee for about an hour.  I wonder if it only works at certain times of the year?

That wouold be cool if it worked to tell us if we have a Bladder infection because I get them often enough it would really help my husbands wallet if I could determine for sure if I had one or not by a FREE ( love that word FREE) test.

cecac

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »
Okay, so I'm preggars and in Southwest Texas, and my kids have been bringing me dandelion flowers for weeks.  Sorry, I just saw this.  I'll give it a try and be an official goober!!

But I guess I won't do it outside, although NO ONE around here would be the least bit surprised if I did. ;D  I'd have to walk around and find an obliging plant behind a bush or something--I'm not that adventurous.

I'll let ya know.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »
I'm gonna try it too!  ~L

cecac

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
Okay, so I put my specimen  ;) in a cup with the liquid just like at the doctors office..........I'd have to say yes, there are red dots going on there.

It's a little hard, because there was red going up the stems and even a little red tinge on a couple of leaves, but there were more red spots afterwards.  Wish I'd scrutinized the specimen before a little more carefully.

Anyway, looks like it worked with Southwest TX dandelion leaves.

;D
So now I know what to do the next time I think I'm pregnant.
Cara

EDIT:  Went in to dump the entire contents from the cup, let's see it's probably been 10 minutes total time for saturation (  :P  don't you just love how I'm sounding so scientific?)--definitely, definitely red spots going on with a big soak like that.  Also, I did a cluster of the leaves, not just one. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:57:51 PM by cecac »

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »

EDIT:  Went in to dump the entire contents from the cup, let's see it's probably been 10 minutes total time for saturation (  :P  don't you just love how I'm sounding so scientific?)--definitely, definitely red spots going on with a big soak like that.  Also, I did a cluster of the leaves, not just one. 

Cecac- How far along in pregnancy are you? I ask because ya know how the preg hormone is said to get higher as preg goes on. So I wonder if it works better later in pregnancy and not in the very very beginning few weeks before the preg hormone is high enough?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
OK now I wonder if we need to know how many weeks along each preg lady is that pees on the dandelion leaf.

So what is it with a dandelion being able to determine if one has a bladder infection or not? I done a google search and could not find anything as of yet about it.

cecac

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »
[Cecac- How far along in pregnancy are you? I ask because ya know how the preg hormone is said to get higher as preg goes on. So I wonder if it works better later in pregnancy and not in the very very beginning few weeks before the preg hormone is high enough?
[/quote]

I am in my 34th week.  I would guess that if you were using this to test for pregnancy, you would want to do a 10 minute or more soak of first morning urine in several leaves.   The pregnancy tests even do this that are store bought as far as first morning urine.  Maybe a newly preggars gal can do it for us.

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2008, 05:55:43 AM »
O.k. so maybe this is obvious but how are you doing this test? :-[ Are you actually urinating on the leaf or in a cup and putting the stems in the urine like you would flowers in a vase? :-[ I am very interested to read that it worked for Cecac but not for Em. Do you think that you each did it differently? Just curious....... I so want this to work for when I am panicking over being a little late and don't want to run to the local store where everybody know me..... I just hate starting that type of rumor, esp over false alarms!!! ;)