Author Topic: accute appendicitis  (Read 10893 times)

Offline queentea

• Adept
accute appendicitis
« on: March 24, 2007, 03:24:16 PM »
two weeks ago while visiting family in sunny Fla. my dh started feeling ill and we ended up in the ER with acute appendicitis and he had his appendix removed.  Before he was out of the hospital, two days later, my 7 yo dd had the same symptoms and ended up having having her appendix removed.  The hospital staff said they had never heard of anything like that happening, and we must have incredibly bad luck.  They also said that there is no known cause for this condition.  I now have my 5yo dd developing some of the early symptoms, and I am now wondering if there could be a viral/contagious aspect to this, surely we can't be THAT unlucky!!  If I were a gambling person, I'd play the lotto, as the odds have to be better than three family members having appendicitis in two weeks! 

Have any of you heard of any causes for this?  My other theory was that the pressurization from flying may have accelerated an already dormant condition.  (dh had "flare ups" of pain in the area several times in the past two years, but they went away). I don't know if that is possible or not, but I thought I'd ask.

Please pray for my dd that she will get to sleep and awake fine in the morning....oh, and for wisdom and peace for ME!

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
Re: accute appendicitis
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 05:30:16 PM »
I'm so sorry for your terrible experience..I'll be praying for your family!
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 02:53:29 AM »
I now have my 5yo dd developing some of the early symptoms, and I am now wondering if there could be a viral/contagious aspect to this, surely we can't be THAT unlucky!!  If I were a gambling person, I'd play the lotto, as the odds have to be better than three family members having appendicitis in two weeks! 

Have any of you heard of any causes for this? 

The doctor that saw my son also did a parasitology stool analysis on him.  One of the most evasive parasites are pinworms.  He told me(now this is his conclusion to which I never saw proof) that untreated pinworms will lead to an appendicitis.  Apparently, when the worms are not treated and keep multiplying they start to lay eggs and hatch in the appendix.
This may be just this doctor's theory, but I find it very coincidental that everyone in your family is having these symptoms.
So, sorry to hear of this, queenie!  :-[

I read in a book by N.W. Walker that he would recommend a series of enemas or colonics to reduce the inflammation of the appendix so that it didn't explode. He gave examples of people that were having an attack of this and did and enema and it went away.  He said that once you see the symptoms of it beginning to give some enemas. 

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »
I was taught that the only way you can have appendicitis is if you have a dirty colon. If your colon is clean you will NOT get it. That goes hand in hand with what the above comment said because if you have a dirty colon you are basically guaranteed you are going to have parasites.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:05:29 PM »
My DH had his appendix flare up when he was a kid. The Dr gave his mom a choice: surgery put him on a strict clear liquids diet & see if it settled down. Clear liquids worked & he didn't need surgery. I don't know what all he drank but I know there was a lot of homemade chicken broth. Still fits into what everyone else was saying because clear liquids would tent to starve parasites out & cause some cleansing.

Queen Tea, how is everybody doing? I hope DD is doing better. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 03:03:27 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is that the appendix is part of the digestive system (not a lot of people know that).  As such, I would look to what they had eaten as aggravating to their appendix.  I think I would absolutely do clear liquids with your daughter for several days and see if the inflammation goes down.  Unfortunately, if appendicitis gets away from you then removal almost always happens because of bursting concerns.  At that point, no one has a choice.  :(  If you can catch it early with the clear liquids, I think you'll stand half a chance...

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 04:11:56 AM »
That's strange, because my dh and dd have the "healthiest" elimination systems in the house! (the ones who had to have their appendix out)  My dh has to have the cleanest colon in the house as he is like clockwork two - three times a day!  He doesn't even know what constipation is! My dd that was having symptoms is better, and I nailed down the cause.  Sit ups in her martial arts class ::).  Her stomach was "sore" and everytime she used the muscles they would cramp up and hurt.  I have been feeding pumpkin seeds to the kids and have not been seeing anything in the way of worms.  How small are pin worms?  can they be seen with the naked eye?

I am wondering if genetics has anything to do with it?  My dh's dad also had his removed, and his brother too.

I don't think that it was anything they ate as we all ate the same things and my dd's was while dh was till in hospital. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:36:28 AM »
How small are pin worms?  can they be seen with the naked eye?
They are difficult to see, but not impossible.  They are about 1/8 to 1/4 inch long and maybe 1/3-1/2 mm in diameter and they are round, smooth and white.  They move a little bit like an earthworm. 

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/home-remedy/worms.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 04:39:39 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »
I'm SO sorry, QueenTea! I know what the fall back method Drs use to figure out for sure if it the appendix & the tests are inconclusive is & until I saw your post about your DD & sit ups I TOTALLY forgot. I could have saved you some worry.

Anyways, it's so easy you won't believe it: stand on your tip toes & quickly drop hard on your heels. This jars your appendix & if that's what's wrong you will know it because you will feel it. Keep in mind that if it's ovary pain, constipation, or something like that it will get jarred too so you will feel it a little bit. If you do this at the beginning of an appendix attack before the inflammation is bad, it might not feel like much but as the inflammation progresses you will feel it more & more.

When I was a teen I had ovary pain that we thought could be appendicitis so we went to the ER. The tests were inconclusive so the Drs were literally raising me off the table & dropping me to jar my appendix to figure out which it was. I had problems with ovary pain most months during that time period so the Dr told us about the tip toe & drop thing so we could self test & avoid repeated ER trips for nothing. My family has used it repeatedly since then & it's so nice to be able to rule out the appendix.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 02:31:40 AM »
I'm SO sorry, QueenTea! I know what the fall back method Drs use to figure out for sure if it the appendix & the tests are inconclusive is & until I saw your post about your DD & sit ups I TOTALLY forgot. I could have saved you some worry.

Anyways, it's so easy you won't believe it: stand on your tip toes & quickly drop hard on your heels. This jars your appendix & if that's what's wrong you will know it because you will feel it. Keep in mind that if it's ovary pain, constipation, or something like that it will get jarred too so you will feel it a little bit. If you do this at the beginning of an appendix attack before the inflammation is bad, it might not feel like much but as the inflammation progresses you will feel it more & more.

When I was a teen I had ovary pain that we thought could be appendicitis so we went to the ER. The tests were inconclusive so the Drs were literally raising me off the table & dropping me to jar my appendix to figure out which it was. I had problems with ovary pain most months during that time period so the Dr told us about the tip toe & drop thing so we could self test & avoid repeated ER trips for nothing. My family has used it repeatedly since then & it's so nice to be able to rule out the appendix.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
Interesting!
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline Devasha

• Adept
Re: Accute Appendicitis
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:58:13 PM »
What are the early symptoms for appendicitis?

My youngest sister is not quite four years old, and is having virus-like symptoms every other day.  So, we are wondering about her appendix.

Immediately following her reverse peristalsis lunch experience, we put her on a clear liquids diet.  Considering the parasite/worm, appendix connection, would steeping cloves in boiling water to make a tea be good for her?  Also, she is rather young for a two or three day fast.  Would giving her small portions of pepitas be acceptable?

Thanks,

Devasha
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:59:56 PM by Devasha »
Arthur Parker: "I hope you like dry toast."
"With a reasonable quantity of butter spread over it, very much," said Charlotte, "but not otherwise."
"No more do I," said he, exceedingly pleased.

Offline Devasha

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 11:44:06 PM »
Bump.  Nudge.  Prod.  Jolt.
"With a reasonable quantity of butter spread over it, very much," said Charlotte, "but not otherwise."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 04:41:09 AM »
The main symptom of appendicitis is abdominal pain. The pain is at first diffuse and poorly localized, that is, not confined to one spot. (Poorly localized pain is typical whenever a problem is confined to the small intestine or colon, including the appendix.) The pain is so difficult to pinpoint that when asked to point to the area of the pain, most people indicate the location of the pain with a circular motion of their hand around the central part of their abdomen. A second, common, early symptom of appendicitis is loss of appetite which may progress to nausea and even vomiting. Nausea and vomiting also may occur later due to intestinal obstruction.

As appendiceal inflammation increases, it extends through the appendix to its outer covering and then to the lining of the abdomen, a thin membrane called the peritoneum. Once the peritoneum becomes inflamed, the pain changes and then can be localized clearly to one small area. Generally, this area is between the front of the right hip bone and the belly button. The exact point is named after Dr. Charles McBurney--McBurney's point. If the appendix ruptures and infection spreads throughout the abdomen, the pain becomes diffuse again as the entire lining of the abdomen becomes inflamed.

More info from MedicineNet.com
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
Re: Accute Appendicitis
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 04:57:27 AM »
My youngest sister is not quite four years old, and is having virus-like symptoms every other day.  So, we are wondering about her appendix.

Try giving her a probiotic.  Several years ago, the doctor suspected that I had a stone in my appendix.  I forget the long technical name for it.  Around that time, I started taking a probiotic, and the discomfort (it had varying degrees from very painful to just an annoying discomfort) started fading.  Eventually it disappeared completely.

Hope that helps.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline Devasha

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 02:29:45 AM »
My first brother had his appendix removed at 6:40 this morning.  (5:40 a.m. WellTellMe time.)

If we are allowed to bring him food, what would be best?  He has been eating well long enough that popular food makes him ill.  I want him to heal quickly, but don't want interference problems with pain medications and the IV.  His usual diet consists largely of yogurt with cinnamon, sourdough bread, eggs, beef, avocados, cayenne pepper (on his eggs, avocado, and beef), canned sardines and salmon, raw fruits and vegetables, frozen blueberries with almonds, and cultured sauerkraut.  Obviously, some of these foods are not easily transferable.  The list will, however, give you a better idea of what to warn us about, and what to suggest.   

Also, I was wondering if cod liver oil and butter oil would be good.  My brother has never taken them before (I'm the only person in my family who does just now), so it wouldn't be breaking his routine to not take them.  Would CLO and BO help him heal swiftly, and not catch some sickness from the hospital?

On a side note, what is in an IV and common pain medications?  My brother hates not knowing what's going into him.  If they're too gross, of course I'll wait to tell him until after he's home.  But, I know he'll be curious.

Thanks,

Devasha

Post Script:  The hospital staff said that it is a sure sign of appendicitis when the pain moves from around the belly button to the side.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Re: acute appendicitis
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 10:53:16 AM »
As far as diet initially he may do best with clear liquids: you could always make some chicken broth with lots of garlic, or something along those lines according to his tastes.  He maybe able to start back on yogurt by tomorrow and may even feel like adding granola.  It really depends upon how he feels and if his stomach has kicked back in after being slowed down by the anesthesia.  They should allow you to bring him food in from home; they will most likely want to just make sure his body can handle the food first, but this is more related to the effects of anesthesia.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by what is in the IV.  Most are either sodium or dextrose.  Common IV pain meds are morphine and demerol (meperidine) with morphine being used more, I think, with appendectomies. 
I'm not sure about the CLO; for some reason I am thinking that it might affect blood clotting, but I may be way off with this.  If it does, that would be my main reasons for holding off, but Vit E might be a good choice for him to take by mouth and use topically when he leaves the hospital (the nurses will freak out otherwise).  I would also encourage a probiotic, too.  He is most likely on either antibiotic pills or IV, and this would also be a help at this time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:16:19 PM by Mrs. B »

Offline Devasha

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 01:27:46 PM »
Thank you, Mrs. B.  I had not thought of broth, and my brother loves garlic.  He must stay in the hospital for three or four days, so I'm sure his appetite will start coming back at the hospy.

About the IV contents, we are totally not hospital savvy.  A general idea of what it is that is constantly pumping through his veins, is all that we want.  I get the idea from your post that the sodium or dextrose is used as a carrier for whatever they want in the patient, as well as keeping the patient hydrated.

I just got back from the hospital.  My brother was doing noticeably better when I left.  He is handling the pain very well.  It is the policy at our local hospital to let the patient control when he gets pain medications.  So far, my brother hasn't wanted any morphine.  Compared to what he felt before his surgery, he feels that the pain is entirely manageable.  The nurse is totally amazed.  She says no patient in her thirty years of nursing has opted out of the pain medication so long.  The doctor did order two tylenol for his fever, though.

Devasha

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »
I'm tacking this very interesting article on the role of the appendix onto this thread...finally 'modern science' is recognizing that the appendix is a useful organ, and not a 'vestigal organ left over from evolution.'  ::)

modifying to include the link directly through the livescience site...which btw is rife with evolutionary thinking...try to overlook that, will ya? :)  I do!

http://www.livescience.com/health/090824-appendix-evolution.html

and here is a really interesting comment left by a scientist who has studied the role of the appendix in rabbits:

The appendix in the human and in the rabbit is fully formed but not populated with lymphocytes at birth. After birth and exposure to environmental antigens in food and on the skin surfaces of the parents, the appendix comes in contact with bacteria and healthful antigens. The presence of bacteria triggers the population and expansion of lymphatic tissue in the appendix until it is a completely functional lymphatic tissue. Apparently, bacteria are essential for the normal development and selection of the cells that eventually will produce antibodies that protect against diseases so this function early in life is very important. Around the time of adolescence the amount of lymphatic tissue in the appendix begins to diminish and this may allow material from the bowel to get trapped in the lumen leading to appendicitis. However, I must repeat, this risk of appendicitis is far outweighed by the benefit of developing a diverse immune antigenic repertoire. We suggested this in a study published about nine years ago. Dasso, J.F., H. Obiakor, H. Bach, A.O. Anderson and R.G. Mage. 2000. A Morphological and Immunohistological Study of the Human and Rabbit Appendix for Comparison with the Avian Bursa. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 24:797-814.  Here is the url for a reference:
http://www.geocities.com/artandersonmd/2000.dasso.dc.immunol.v24.p797-814.pdf"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:27:32 AM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.