Author Topic: Kombucha: Chat, Walkthroughs & Non-Technical Information  (Read 212520 times)

Nickole

Re: Kombucha: Chat, Walkthroughs & Non-Technical Information
« Reply #510 on: May 07, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
I have been keeping my jars in my cupboard for 4 years now, brewing weekly, and never had a problem yet.  ;) 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #511 on: May 07, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
How long has this batch been brewing? By the time its ready to harvest the baby should be plenty "strong" enough to do its own batch. Of course the longer you brew the thicker the baby will grow. Hope that answers your question.

It has been brewing scince Last Saturday night, so not quite 4 days.  The blob thingy I was talking about is the baby, right?

Should be. Is it kinda transparent and cloudy looking? It'll eventually turn brownish.

Yes it is transparent and cloudy. Thanks for all your help, lotsaboys!

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2008, 07:51:59 AM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already...today we made strawberry slushies with kombucha and they were SO good!!!

frozen strawberries
ice
honey
kombucha

Fill the blender about 1/3 way with ice, add 1/3 cup raw honey (more if you like), add 1/2 bag strawberries and then fill the blender with kombucha.  Blend until smooth.
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline valwhite1

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2008, 09:15:59 AM »
Hi!  I have recently started brewing Kumbucha tea and I have a few questions:

I use Rooibos tead because I don't tolerate caffeine well at all.  Does anyone else here use Rooibos??

That being said, I experimented a little on my second batch and made 1 gallon with Rooibos and 1 gallon with black tea.  The black tea one seems to be much more fizzy (yummy!) and have much more zing!  I really like it.  The Rooibos one is too sweet for me and has very little fizz.  Is this the way it is with the Rooibos?  If I just let it ferment longer, will it get more fizz and zing? 

Also, when I bottled my first batch and came back later to drink, it had a film (scoby-like) covering on the top.  Is that normal???  It also has kinda slimy looking stuff floating around in it and sometimes little squiggles.  From what I read on this site,  I think it's okay but want to make sure.

Thanks for your help.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #514 on: May 12, 2008, 01:25:20 PM »
I made sour/hot pork chops with Kombucha.  Here's the recipe.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2045.msg175142.html#msg175142
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #515 on: August 19, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »
ok, girls.  after reading the comments about the article on the other thread, i want to know:

1.  do you all REALLY cool the tea for exactly 1 1/2 hours?  after trying to do that for a while (months) i switched to just adding cool water to the sweet tea, then the scoby, then covering it.

2.  do you really brew in a bowl??  i found a bunch of 1 gal. jars (old pickle jars) and thought they were awesome, so have been using those, but i have always used 1 or 2 gal. jars from walmart.  now, after reading the do's and don't's it seems like i shouldn't be using those. 

3.  i've been brewing for 2 or 3 years with carbon block filtered water and never had mold.  i really don't want to switch, but i am concerned because my 21 day ginger kombucha has had no real benefits to my hubby that we can tell and i know he has too much Candida.  i would like to know for sure that there are benefits to my kombucha.  it has good fizz and flavor when it's done.  anyone?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #516 on: May 30, 2009, 02:53:40 AM »
Hi all, I have a question

I have had a quart jar full of Kombucha and a small scoby floating around in it , in my fridge for prob 6-9 months....does anyone know if it is still good to use?

Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #517 on: May 30, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »
I'd make a nice strong, extra sweet tea and try it out. It may be ok with a little TLC. Sometimes though when I resurrect and unused, aged scoby the balance of yeasts and bacteria are off and it is very vinegary or bitter.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #518 on: May 30, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »
I'd make a nice strong, extra sweet tea and try it out. It may be ok with a little TLC. Sometimes though when I resurrect and unused, aged scoby the balance of yeasts and bacteria are off and it is very vinegary or bitter.

thanks I went ahead with it.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #519 on: May 31, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »
I have been reading here and there about kombucha, and I am wondering about hearing how people brew theirs for 2 weeks at a time? As some of you have seen on Fb I have 2 3 gal crocks that I brew mine in, and they are ready in three days (no longer sweet, but sour) and then I pour a little bit of grape juice (or other) into a bottle (like a Grosch (sp)) and cap them and let them sit another 3 days before moving them into cold storage.

Are you just waiting 2 weeks until the taste changes or am I missing something?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #520 on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »

Are you just waiting 2 weeks until the taste changes or am I missing something?

I've answered this here, here, and here but the entire thread should have some helpful info for you.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #521 on: June 01, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »
Ok so I read part of the whole discussion on the first link, but it sounds as though everyone elses is not getting sour until after that long of time. Ours if I left it until 5 days would be extremely vinegary as in like drinking pure raw acv! I asked my mom about hers and she said that when she first got her scobies that it took 10 to 14 days to ferment, but now we are down to 3 days. Mine that I just got from her the first one was done in three days and the two batches right now were and will me four days.

Sorry a obout my typing skills I am on our iPod and typing isn't the easiest!

Offline aflora

• Learning
« Reply #522 on: June 24, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
I am pretty sure amazon carries it. It is worth buying though! It is guide for everything related to WAPF and a great resource for literature to show people in your life who are maybe a bit skeptical about our diet...

Offline FarmWife

• Adept
    • Amazing Graze Farm
« Reply #523 on: June 24, 2009, 01:13:34 PM »
I make mine in a gallon jar.  I use water from my Berkey.  I let the tea cool and sit sometimes all day.  I have been doing this for about 4 months. 

I did find that I was drinking about a quart a day.  I was having some kidney pains, so I backed off.  Has anyone else experienced this?
Only by His merciful grace,
Marci

Come check out our store..
www.amazinggrazefarm.com/store

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #524 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34:32 PM »
Ok so I read part of the whole discussion on the first link, but it sounds as though everyone elses is not getting sour until after that long of time. Ours if I left it until 5 days would be extremely vinegary as in like drinking pure raw acv! I asked my mom about hers and she said that when she first got her scobies that it took 10 to 14 days to ferment, but now we are down to 3 days. Mine that I just got from her the first one was done in three days and the two batches right now were and will me four days.

Sorry a obout my typing skills I am on our iPod and typing isn't the easiest!
We had a bad experience with using a second hand scoby that had weakened and became contaminated.  So, if it's not acting right that could be a consideration.  Heat also plays a part in how quickly it brews.  Also, it could be that the crocks collect the bacterias in the rough surface, and spout areas, so it's brewing much quicker.  Sort of like if you don't rinse your kefir jar between batches...the second batch sets up much quicker.

HTH!
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline eightofus

• Learning
    • Eight of Us
« Reply #525 on: July 18, 2009, 09:29:44 AM »
I have made kombucha, but am reluctant to drink it because of the mixed messages I've been getting about it's safety.  If I am drinking kefir, why do I need to drink kombucha?  What are the different benefits of both?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #526 on: March 03, 2010, 05:54:12 AM »
i'd like to hear from lotsaboys & SarahK & anyone else who's brewed Kombucha successfully for a long time!   

do you use flavored teas in addition to black?  what is your ratio of teabags/water/sugar?  how do your scoby's look after brewing for many years?  do you actually leave the tea cool & for how long? 

i have been breaking several of the said "rules" mostly using flavors, and not leaving it cool, but just adding the sugar, then cool water, then the scoby cuz it's faster and i'm done quick.  my ratio is 1 gallon, 4 black, 3 flavors, & 1 c. sugar.  my scoby's aren't very thick, maybe cuz i've been brewing from 7-9 days.  they usually look rather ugly, with holes and dark spots.  i've not had great results healthwise, for those drinking it, but it used to be more obvious what it did for my son's digestion.  not so much now.  looking for input! thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #527 on: March 03, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »
Well, I'm not lotsaboys or SarahK, but we've been brewing Kombucha for around 3 years. I've definitely learned my lesson: I ALWAYS boil all my water for my tea (1 gallon or a little less) instead of adding cool water to my already boiled stuff. Does that make sense? Inotherwords, I ALWAYS boil all my water!!

Here's what happened: Being in a hurry, I tried the boil + add cool water technique. After our regular brewing time of about 2 weeks (we're cold here, so it takes longer), I opened my lovely batch of kombucha tea only to discover that the entire batch had gone gooey on me! It was thick and slimey, like a big batch of snot (sorry, TMI!) I immediately threw it out, along with the scoby and vowed to NEVER do that again! Yipes! :o

Sooo, when I do things properly and boil the entire gallon of water, then add the heaping cup of sugar, boil again, throw in 5 tea bags (Lipton black only, we are not fond of the flavors), let steep and cool overnight, then strain + add scoby in the morning, we never have any problems. And I have nice thick, happy scobies!! I always play by the rules with kombucha!!! ;D
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #528 on: March 03, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »
he Mamasita! how many days do you brew?  i thought because my water was filtered w/ a carbon block it didn't all need to be boiled.  hmmmm.....

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #529 on: March 03, 2010, 11:46:01 AM »
Um, we probably brew close to 2 weeks, only b/c our house is kept at about 60 degrees, on the cool side. We use a Berkey water filter and I still insist on boiling the water.....don't want to grow anything 'cept kombucha, KWIM??  :P
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #530 on: March 04, 2010, 02:30:44 AM »
I'm anything but conventional, I guess.

I often (but not exclusively) use 4 bags Celestial Seasonings Herbal tea (or some other herbal) and 1 bag green tea boiled in 3 c water.  Put that in gallon jar with 1.25-1.33 c sugar and dissolve sugar.  Add cold water right from the faucet from the well to the amount I want.  Add scoby & 1-2c of bucha from before.  Cover with filter & let it sit.  We're brewing really weird day amounts now.  It seems to be either 7 or 14+.  Nothing inbetween.  But that will likely level out to about 10 days when summer hits and we are drinking more kombucha.

My batches vary.  Right now, I have one scoby that gives a really, really fizzy variety and 2 others that are just kinda fizzy.  I've been thinning out the 'kinda fizzy' ones in favor of the fizzier scoby.

My scobys are usually pretty thick.  The thin ones at 7 days are till 1/4 inch or more and could easily stand alone in a gallon - though I usually just leave them all together unless the mass is getting huge or I'm shipping one off.

I believe we are still getting the benefits we were experiencing however many years ago.  Now, it's not growing my hair back ultra thick or making my kids' teeth grow straight, but it seems to help with GI regularity like it always did.  AND it keeps us out of the Coke/Sprite which is our greatest benefit that we brag about.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #531 on: March 04, 2010, 07:15:49 AM »
I'm a stick-to-the-rules-for-bucha person too. We have lovely, thick scobys and every batch is perfect, although varying in fizziness as SarahK mentioned.

I do 2 gal. at a time usually...but for 1 gallon the ratio would be:
Boil 4c. water
Add 1c. sugar, stir and leave on heat a couple min.
Turn off heat and put in 4 bags black tea (we use the Tetley brand)
I do this before going to bed so in the morning its cool for pouring in my jars.

In winter each batch takes a good 2 weeks to get done and in the summer a week is all that's needed. Either way the scoby's are always thick (1/4-1/2 "), smooth and uniform in color.

I've never tried flavored teas as we like it so well with black and didn't see any reason to change. Besides I don't like playing around with it and not really knowing what product I'm actually ending up with.

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #532 on: March 04, 2010, 07:46:14 AM »
We've been making a gallon at a time.

I bring 3 qts water to rolling boil, stir in 1 cup sugar todissolve, then add 2 bags black tea and 4 bags herbal tea. Turn off heat, cover and steep for 15 minutes. Remove lid and let cool to room temp. Transfer to gallon jar with 1 cup old brew and scoby, cover and store.

I can tell a huge difference in time depending on the weather. Fizzier in the summer. 10 days to even up to 28 days in winter.

Our current  favorite flavor is herbal black cherry! Also like peach and raspberry zinger.

Leat

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #533 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:20 AM »
I have made kombucha, but am reluctant to drink it because of the mixed messages I've been getting about it's safety.  If I am drinking kefir, why do I need to drink kombucha?  What are the different benefits of both?
kefir and kombucha do not contain the same species of probiotics. 

kombucha is also non-dairy (some have issues with casein/lactose, etc.), and it's cheaper by far to make than kefir. 

this is really a judgment call on your part.  variety is good, but kefir is great.  if you're afraid of kombucha, you might want to try something else (kimchee, kvass, kraut, etc.) to add some variety. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #534 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:19 AM »
i have been breaking several of the said "rules" mostly using flavors, and not leaving it cool, but just adding the sugar, then cool water, then the scoby cuz it's faster and i'm done quick.  my ratio is 1 gallon, 4 black, 3 flavors, & 1 c. sugar.  my scoby's aren't very thick, maybe cuz i've been brewing from 7-9 days.  they usually look rather ugly, with holes and dark spots.  i've not had great results healthwise, for those drinking it, but it used to be more obvious what it did for my son's digestion.  not so much now.  looking for input! thanks!
i had the same problem when i started.  to fix the problem i upped my sugar to 1.5 cups per gallon and my brewing time to 14 days.  nice thick healthy scobies and great flavor.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #535 on: March 06, 2010, 05:36:42 AM »
i had the same problem when i started.  to fix the problem i upped my sugar to 1.5 cups per gallon and my brewing time to 14 days.  nice thick healthy scobies and great flavor.

hmmmm..............i'll have to give give this a try! thanks gals!

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #536 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »
I know I've read the answer to this somewhere, and I've searched high and low...but can't find it.  I have several mason jars of kombucha that got pushed to the back of a closet and never opened.  They may be as old as 1 1/2 - 2 years old.  Are they still good?  I'm inclined to think they'd be fine (once I strain out all the scoby-bits that have grown in them), but don't want to chance it.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #537 on: May 12, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »
So long as there is no mold, insects, and they haven't disintegrated they should be fine. :)

Offline Sheila

• Yearning to Learn
  • Learning
« Reply #538 on: July 16, 2010, 01:29:12 PM »
Hi everybody!  I went to all of the grocery stores in our town today and found that all the kombucha was pulled off the shelves.  I called one of the natural food stores and was told it is recalled due to the alcohol in it.  She said it was found to ferment further after sitting on the shelf.  Does anyone know anything about this?  I'm wondering if I'll need to start making my own.  Thanks!!

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #539 on: July 16, 2010, 06:49:39 PM »
Hi everybody!  I went to all of the grocery stores in our town today and found that all the kombucha was pulled off the shelves.  I called one of the natural food stores and was told it is recalled due to the alcohol in it.  She said it was found to ferment further after sitting on the shelf.  Does anyone know anything about this?  I'm wondering if I'll need to start making my own.  Thanks!!

Locally (here), one brand (GT Dave's) was pulled from the shelves of our major local natural grocery chain because they couldn't prove it was consistently below 5% alcohol level.  They were still stocking 3 other brands, two of which are made in our area.  I'm not certain what spurred the recall.  You might see if the stores in your area will bring in other brands.

However, making your own is cheaper, pretty easy, and kinda fun.  Some people prefer the flavors you can come up with in homemade over store bought.  And you can customize it to taste just how you like.  IF you like to experiment, that is. ;) 
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan