Author Topic: Kombucha: Chat, Walkthroughs & Non-Technical Information  (Read 206460 times)

Offline Missy

• Adept
Re: Kombucha: Chat, Walkthroughs & Non-Technical Information
« Reply #540 on: July 16, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »
Hi everybody!  I went to all of the grocery stores in our town today and found that all the kombucha was pulled off the shelves.  I called one of the natural food stores and was told it is recalled due to the alcohol in it.  She said it was found to ferment further after sitting on the shelf.  Does anyone know anything about this?  I'm wondering if I'll need to start making my own.  Thanks!!

I saw this article online concerning the recall:    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fermented-tea-kombucha-apf-340175706.html?x=0

Offline charisma

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #541 on: July 26, 2010, 07:54:24 AM »
Hi, I have been creeping on this site for a long time. Reading about kombucha.  I purchased my first scoby and started my first batch.   I think my tea is just about ready, but not the baby.  It is a thin clear layer on the top of my jarwith a little bit of white tinge to it.  Can I brew a gallon with this tiny thin non scoby like baby?  Or is there a way to boost this baby quick?

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #542 on: July 26, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »
Hi, I have been creeping on this site for a long time. Reading about kombucha.  I purchased my first scoby and started my first batch.   I think my tea is just about ready, but not the baby.  It is a thin clear layer on the top of my jarwith a little bit of white tinge to it.  Can I brew a gallon with this tiny thin non scoby like baby?  Or is there a way to boost this baby quick?

Personally, I'd just keep the baby with the mother for another batch or two until the baby appears thick and healthy and ready to brew it's own batch.   :)

Anybody else out there with a different recommendation?
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #543 on: July 26, 2010, 03:22:02 PM »
Just because a baby is thin doesn't mean it isn't healthy. It's just a newbie, that's all!  ;)

Offline drfalk

• Learning
    • Abundant Homestead-Kombucha and More!
« Reply #544 on: July 30, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »
I was wondering if anyone noticed if their kombucha lost fizz after it has been fermenting for 30 days?

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #545 on: August 03, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »
I was wondering if anyone noticed if their kombucha lost fizz after it has been fermenting for 30 days?
Do you mean one batch has gone 30 days?  Or one scoby has been brewing two or more batches in a 30-day period and after 30 days it's no longer producing fizz?

(I'm asking more to bump the topic, as I can't answer.  ;)  Only recently have I had fizzy kombucha - I went many years with un-fizzy.)
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline motherhen7

• Learning
« Reply #546 on: August 24, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
Do you mean one batch has gone 30 days?  Or one scoby has been brewing two or more batches in a 30-day period and after 30 days it's no longer producing fizz?

(I'm asking more to bump the topic, as I can't answer.  ;)  Only recently have I had fizzy kombucha - I went many years with un-fizzy.)

drfalk, what did you do to make it fizzy after so long?  Did you change your recipe?  Ours isn't fizzy yet.  It's nearing the end of winter, so it's taking ages for each batch to be done, but still hardly a bit of fizz.  I use 1.5 Cups  of sugar to a gallon (4lt) of water.  The last batch I used 3 green tea bags with on black tea, and over a month of brewing not much action.-  Thin baby, and went vinegary.  I actually used less sugar in that batch as well so I'm sure that made it slow.  I find the 1.5 cups too sweet for my taste buds, but I really want some fizz.  I bought my first scoby in mid April, so I don't know if it will just take a while to get it working well.  

WE mostly drink the tibicos fermented water and add that to juice for a day or two and it gets lovely and fizzy.  I can make 2 gallons of Kefir water every 3 or so days.  Wish Kombucha was this quick!  I do want several sources of ferments for probiotics to have a good balance of gut flora.

This batch of Kombucha is back to black with a couple of celestial seasonings chai- smells really good.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:19:32 PM by motherhen6 »

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #547 on: October 21, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »
Someone on an elist somewhere said I could make my own using GT Kombucha. ( :o ? )

How on earth would someone be able to make a scoby without a mama on the kombucha? I would think GT Kombucha would be too diluted, for one thing. It just does not make sense to me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:24:40 PM by H0MEFree »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #548 on: October 21, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »
Check this thread: Kombucha Chaining: How to Create a SCOBY

Also Google Kombucha Chaining & you'll get lots more info.

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #549 on: October 24, 2010, 05:04:42 AM »
Check this thread: Kombucha Chaining: How to Create a SCOBY

Also Google Kombucha Chaining & you'll get lots more info.

THANK YOU, Herbalmom! You are so sweet!

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #550 on: May 15, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
I just made my 2nd batch of kombucha.  I am not a tea drinker, but I love this!  How much alcohol content do you think is in it?  I brew mine about 10 days, and it's a strong apple cider taste.  I follow Laurel Farm's recipe.  It's so easy to follow, esp. with all the pictures!  :) 

My baby scoby is much larger and thinner than the mother I received, I think due to my using a bowl to brew in.  I ended up removing the baby, but now think I wouldn't use the baby alone.  It's wide and thin and ripped in the middle (where it attaches).  Would it be okay alone in a gallon brew?  I'm thinking of giving one to a friend, but keeping the mother.

Does it get more alcohol the longer you brew it?  I read about so many people that give it to their kids (even 2 yo's) and I gave about a 1/2 cup to my DD's 16 yo friend.  She liked it, but after that said she almost couldn't think straight.  Would the alcohol content affect someone that much?

Could you warm the done stuff to remove the alcohol, or would that kill all the good bacteria anyways?

If you strain it well and tightly cork/cap it and leave on the counter, does it continue to brew?  Is that what happens when it 'gets fizzy'?

I'm deciding whether to give this to my kids or not, based on the friends' reaction to it.