Author Topic: Kombucha Variations: Teas & Flavors That Do & Don't Work  (Read 162453 times)

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
Re: Kombucha Variations: Teas & Flavors That Do & Don't Work
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2008, 09:16:24 AM »
I think it was floydian who mentioned peach kombucha to me.  Finally tried it and it is SOOO gooooooood!!!!   We used Celestial Seasonings peach.  Makes the baby scobys a pretty pink, too!

I totally agree! The BEST kombucha ever! It was the first I ever had.

Offline Unkabuzz

• Learning
« Reply #241 on: May 09, 2008, 07:45:45 PM »
Hey everybody !!
 I couldn't seem to open the link to Cran-Bucha, but from what I remembered, I made my own 2 gallon recipe.
  I start with 1 gallon of water, a large tea baller full of Black tea / Blueberry. (Enjoyingtea.com), 3 cups of Organic Raw sugar.
   After steeping the tea, I added another gallon of water to cool it down and 24 oz. of unfiltered pure blueberry juice, (Trader Joe's). I filtered the juice through a washcloth just to get the larger sediment out. Added my scoby and let it go 11 days. Awesome tea and a really cool "purple" scoby too.... ;D

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2008, 05:39:00 AM »
Our new all time favorite Kombucha- Celestial Seasonings White Plum tea.  Tastes like champagne :)  I used 6 tea bags for 1 gallon plus 1 cup sugar and brewed for 11 days.  I also bottled some of it for the first time- we usually just drink it- and WOW did it get fizzy!

Hey Leah, I can't find any CS White Plum tea. I found white tea, plum white, white peach... but I want to try exactly what you used. 8) Where did you buy yours?

Oh gee, a month and a half later maybe I will answer this question  ::) ;)  Sorry, I always forget to look back at threads I post to.

I got the White Plum tea at Woodman's- I'm pretty sure you guys have Woodman's right? Here's a picture of the box:   http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/white-teas/powerfully-plum

And don't forget to try making a Kombucha slushie- I posted a recipe to ours on one of the other many kombucha threads.  I can't remember which one  :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:42:38 AM by Leah IL »
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2008, 07:06:22 AM »
Thanks Leah! Yes, we can get to a Woodman's, just not our here in the sticks. :D

Yeah, I saw your kombucha slushie recipe and want to try that!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2008, 09:47:32 AM »
Woodman's! I'm heading to Appleton tonight w/my crew and Woodman's is right in the area we're going to be.....

Hmmm, I'd better put CS White Plum Tea on my list!!!

Thanks Leah!!
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2008, 12:11:50 PM »
HB, I just came across some things the other day in my book The Kombucha Phenomenon by Betsy Pryor and Sanford Holst.  They say using any herbal teas to brew destroys the health properties of the tea, as well as using decaf tea (almost no caffiene is left at the end of the brewing process anyway).  Says the babies will look good but just be yeast patties.  ANYONE KNOW HOW YOU CAN TELL IF IT'S JUST A YEAST PATTIE???? "You may as well be drinking a soda pop," it says.  Recommends using only green or black tea to brew but adding herbal teas afterward to taste, mixing it with the k-tea.

I know this is an old post, but I read through ALL the pages and never saw anyone answer the question of how to tell if you still have a good SCOBY or a yeast patty.  Anyone figure that one out???

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:50 PM »
I just can't imagine chai being cold.  It just seems so wrong!! LOL!  :D
I absolutely love chai tea!  If you've never tried Thai iced tea, then you're really missing out!  It's spicy chai tea, over ice, with about half cream--totally YUM!!

My Stash "double spice chai black tea" contains cinnamon oil, clove oil and cardamom oil...so I'm not going to chance it for kombucha.  :(  I also have a box of Bigelo "vanilla chai tea", but only says: black tea, spices, natural and artificial flavors, so I'm not sure if it has oil...maybe not?  I have enough SCOBYs floating around here, maybe I'll risk a small batch.

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2008, 01:00:30 PM »
For those who have mentioned vanilla-I keep about 10 vanilla beans in my sugar container and it infuses the sugar with vanilla flavor.  I just refill my container with sugar when it runs empty, and the vanilla beans have been going strong for almost a year!

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2008, 07:37:22 PM »
I wrote a blog post about my kombucha flavors, in case anyone's interested.  I didn't want to fill up a long post here.  ;)

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #249 on: June 18, 2008, 04:23:17 AM »
I wrote a blog post about my kombucha flavors, in case anyone's interested.  I didn't want to fill up a long post here.  ;)

That was a great post on your blog!  Thanks for linking it. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline mrsbanjoe

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2008, 04:08:41 PM »
Has anyone done continuous brew kombucha with flavors?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2008, 05:39:52 PM »
Has anyone done continuous brew kombucha with flavors?

I don't think I've heard of 'continuous brew' kombucha... so I googled it.  I'll post the link over on in Kombucha: Recipes & General Instructions.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #252 on: July 05, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
Cool Links

Go Health Girl - Cranberry Kombucha - Hilarious woman with a lot of interesting recipes.

I found out today that this site is not longer maintained and all the info here is gone.  Does anyone have the Cranberry Kombucha method posted from this site?

Sarah K

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #253 on: July 09, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
just wondering if anyone knows if it's safe to put chopped ginger in a clean piece of t-shirt to float in the bucha?  that's what i've always done & i hope it's not bad for the tea, anyone?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Nickole

« Reply #254 on: July 09, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
just wondering if anyone knows if it's safe to put chopped ginger in a clean piece of t-shirt to float in the bucha?  that's what i've always done & i hope it's not bad for the tea, anyone?

You don't even have to put in in a t-shirt. I just drop it in there straight. It's perfectly safe.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #255 on: July 09, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »

You don't even have to put in in a t-shirt. I just drop it in there straight. It's perfectly safe.

i started out with doing that, but then i had to pick it all off my mushroom.  maybe i could try it with larger chunks.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #256 on: July 09, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
i started out with doing that, but then i had to pick it all off my mushroom.  maybe i could try it with larger chunks.

I would think a 'tea bag' of sorts would be fine.  Also makes me wonder if you could just string some chopped chunks together - like popcorn on a tree?  Would make removal less of a hassle.... but would be simpler to just have a tied bag with the chunks in it.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2008, 02:56:30 AM »

I would think a 'tea bag' of sorts would be fine.  Also makes me wonder if you could just string some chopped chunks together - like popcorn on a tree?  Would make removal less of a hassle.... but would be simpler to just have a tied bag with the chunks in it.

cool idea Sarah!  i have just tied them up in a tshirt, i might try the string idea, cuz i don't have a big tea bag.  might keep an eye out for some though.  thanks!

Nickole

« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2008, 03:20:30 AM »

cool idea Sarah!  i have just tied them up in a tshirt, i might try the string idea, cuz i don't have a big tea bag.  might keep an eye out for some though.  thanks!

I use big chunks.  Another idea is to make ginger tea.  Grate some ginger and pour hot water over it and wait a few minutes.  Strain over a tea towel or tea shirt and squeeze out the rest of the juice from the ginger.  Pour that strong tea in the brew.  :-) 

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2008, 04:01:06 AM »
i started out with doing that, but then i had to pick it all off my mushroom.  maybe i could try it with larger chunks.

If you have any coffee filters, you could tie them up in there.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline jenstar

• Adept
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
I have been experimenting with Tetley "Verry Berry" herbal tea. I make the usual batch of tea (4 tea bags of black tea, 3 qt. water, 1 cup sugar) but I just add one of the berry tea bags as well. That way, my SCOBY seems to stay strong but there is nice flavor added. I suppose that would work with any flavor of tea as long as it has no oil.

What my friend does her old SCOBY's.... (how DO you pluralize an acronym ???)  -you know the ones that are all tired out and flabby from having too many babies ::)- Anyway, she feeds them to her hens! She said the hens LOVE them. They fight over them as they tear them to pieces! :o  Hope it is good for the hens.... maybe it gives super healthy eggs???

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #261 on: June 20, 2012, 05:18:34 AM »

i started out with doing that, but then i had to pick it all off my mushroom.  maybe i could try it with larger chunks.
We like to add a small piece of ginger to each 16oz bottle once it is done brewing.  Then it sits out for another day or more for a second ferment.  Ginger actually helps to mellow the flavor a bit.