Author Topic: Results of Using Neem Oil for Birth Control [Survey]  (Read 25027 times)

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
Results of Using Neem Oil for Birth Control [Survey]
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:58:42 AM »
I'd like to take a survey of all WTM members who are using or have used neem oil as a contraceptive.  If I am doing this wrong, please let me know, HB.  My dh is wanting to know how effective this is. 

There are several questions to answer. 

1.  How much are you/your husband taking (drops, etc.) and how often - once or twice a day?
2.  Are both of you taking it or just dh?
3.  Where did you purchase it and what brand?
4.  Are you using anything in conjunction with it over peak fertility days?
5.  How long have you been taking it?
6.  And, lastly, has it been successful - i.e. have you conceived while taking it?
7.  If conception occurred, have there been miscarriages/birth defects? 

Here's our part of the survey:
1.  6 drops morning and evening
2.  Dh is the only one taking it
3.  We purchase ours from Banyan Botanicals and it is their certified organic neem oil.
4.  We are using spermicide off and on with it.  I do not have cycles yet since I'm nursing.
5.  Dh has been taking it for about one month.
6.  So far it is successful!  :D

Thanks, ladies, for your input!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:25:26 PM by westernmama »

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
Re: Results of Using Neem Oil for Birth Control [Survey]
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
1.  8-10 drops in the evening
2.  Just dh
3.  Organix South
4.  Nope (except that I was nursing)
5.  Since June '06 (- Feb '07)
6.  NO.  DH's isn't taking it anymore, since we found out #3 is on the way!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »
I really like this little survey...can we addd a #7? for those who have gotten pregnant while using neem or shortly thereafter ...has there been miscarriages/ birth defects?

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
That's a great #7, Chrissyjoy.  I added it to the original post.

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:49:48 PM »
1. 6 drops in the evening.
2. just dh
3. forgot
4. yes.  I am interested in using it as a spermicide.  Just researching on the effect this would have in case of pregnancy.  dh said no for now.
5. four weeks
6. so far.  We will probably not be trying its effectiveness on peak days until we are ready for another.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 05:13:48 AM »
Ladies, when you post your answers, could you copy the original questions?  That way others don't have to scroll to the top of the thread to see what the questions were.  Thanks!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:44:47 AM »
#7? for those who have gotten pregnant while using neem or shortly thereafter ...has there been miscarriages/ birth defects?

I'll let you know if either happens.  To be true, I have wondered if there will be any "problems" and I am praying not.  I am trusting in the Giver of Life...He is good, wise, and wonderful
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 07:08:36 AM »
1.  How much are you/your husband taking (drops, etc.) and how often - once or twice a day?
  --About 6 to 10 drops once a day in the evening.
2.  Are both of you taking it or just dh?
  --I was the only one that took it
3.  Where did you purchase it and what brand?
  --Organeem (says, "not for internal use!"... whatever...;)
4.  Are you using anything in conjunction with it over peak fertility days?
  --We used it in conjunction with peak fertility days for over two years, but we are really good at the peak fertility day thing, so I don't think this was much of a trial in neem efficacy.
5.  How long have you been taking it?
  --We used it for two years and some...
6.  And, lastly, has it been successful - i.e. have you conceived while taking it?
  --We had two crazy months when we were almost always on the road or doing one thing or another... I forgot the neem on two trips which comprised about 3 or 4 weeks, and figured I'd just get back on it... we never really "needed" it anyway since we practiced the peak days thing. Then... after I had taken none or very little for about 6 weeks... we... uh... didn't practice the peak days thing once... and now we have Elijah!
7.  If conception occurred, have there been miscarriages/birth defects?
  --None whatsoever... but then again, our experience might not be very useful in determining anything about neem.

We will start using Neem again in about a month... we'll tell you how it goes (I am taking it now...).

--gabe

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »
*bump* 

We need more participants in our survey, ladies.   :)

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 11:43:33 AM »
I'm going to "bump" this one more time.  I know there's still more out there who are using neem.   ;)

Thanks!

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »
1.  How much are you/your husband taking (drops, etc.) and how often - once or twice a day? once a day
2.  Are both of you taking it or just dh? just dh
3.  Where did you purchase it and what brand? health food store in Duluth, she special ordered them for me. Organix south, supercritical extract pills, 1 pill a day
4.  Are you using anything in conjunction with it over peak fertility days? nothing else was used, no timing was done
5.  How long have you been taking it? he took it for about 6 months
6.  And, lastly, has it been successful - i.e. have you conceived while taking it? it was successful, but you have to be consistant. no forgetting a day, or stuff like that.
7.  If conception occurred, have there been miscarriages/birth defects?  n/a
I'm smiling! :D

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 05:38:24 AM »
1.  How much are you/your husband taking (drops, etc.) and how often - once or twice a day? once a day

3.  Where did you purchase it and what brand? OrganixSouth Neem oil.  We squirt it into 3 "OO" capsules, about 15 drops each.

4.  Are you using anything in conjunction with it over peak fertility days? nothing else right now, I am nursing my 12 mo. old and haven't had a cycle in almost 4 years.  But should my cycle return, we will use the LadyComp on peak days (we haven't bought one yet).

5.  How long have you been taking it? he's been taking it since the beginning of November 2006 as best we can remember, maybe longer.

6.  And, lastly, has it been successful - i.e. have you conceived while taking it? We are not currently pregnant, which is the goal even though it makes me sad for now... I'm working on it...

7.  If conception occurred, have there been miscarriages/birth defects?  n/a

*** My husband is now taking more than he had previously.  I haven't asked him why, but he is.  Probably has something to do with how fertile we are.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 05:40:23 AM by ShabbyChic »
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 07:45:10 AM »

Offline ardenrd71

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 07:19:48 AM »
Hi there. My post is not a reply to this survey, since I haven't started using Neem yet, but since this is the most current Neem discussion, I thought I would add my two cents here, if that's allowed.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on Neem for the past week, and your discussion boards have been helpful. I just want to clarify what seems to be a hazy point in a lot of the Neem discussions I've seen.

There are two different kinds of Neem products that have been studied as a male contraceptive:
1. Neem leaf, and its derivatives;
2. Neem oil, pressed from the Neem seeds.

According to the studies I've seen, Neem leaf works by reducing sperm motility, whereas Neem seed oil works by impairing sperm production. [see this link: http://www.malecontraceptives.org/methods/others.php]

Now, several products have been mentioned on this board, and people seem to think that they are interchangeable, but I don't think they are. We may be making a survey of apples and oranges here. Here is a copy of the ingredients definitions from Organix South:

Neem Leaf, Certified Organic Capsules - (Internal Supplement) Encapsulated Neem Leaf (Azadirachta indica) powder. Prized for its antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and digestive health properties.

Neem Leaf, Extract of Certified Organic - Active in skin and hair care formulas as a 1% aqueous solution. Skin and scalp soother and tonic. Prized for its antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Neem Leaf, Supercritical CO2 Extract - (Internal Supplement) Supercritical CO2 extraction is an advanced process which increases the potency and of Neem Leaf (Azadirachta indica) purity of the extract, without the use of solvents.

Neem Leaf in Alcohol, Extract of Certified Organic - (Internal Supplement) Grain alcohol-based extract of the leaves of the Azadirachta indica tree.

Neem Oil, Wild-Crafted - Cold-pressed from the fruit and pulp of the Azadirachta indica tree. High in fatty acids, it is gentle and skin conditioning. Prized for its antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Has a very high freezing temperature, which means it is solid at cool room temperature. We use both ethically wild-harvested and certified organic.

So when people say they are using the Organix South Neem oil, they are using a product that is made from neither the leaf nor the seeds! I'm not aware of any studies being done with the oil of the fruit. [Unless they mean the neem leaf extract, and they are calling it oil!]

Another " Neem Oil" product mentioned a few times was Organeem, and that is pure Neem seed oil. After reading the reports of its halting sperm production, I'd be nervous to use that, because there have been no human studies on its reversibility. Unless you're ready for a vasectomy, I wouldn't risk it.

And now for the really confusing one: Neem oil from Banyan Botanicals. This one is not clearly identified on its website, but after talking to the company I found that they make a TEA from the leaves, then boil it down, and then infuse it with sesame oil. So it's really sesame oil with Neem tea concentrate, if you want to be precise. Regarding the ratio of oil to Neem, the customer service department doesn't know. So I really don't know why anyone would rely on that product.

Sorry to be the one to throw a wrench in the works, but I figured that you all are looking for reliable information, and we have to first define our terms before conducting surveys! :)

All the best,

Dan M.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 09:42:17 AM by ardenrd71 »

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 08:37:33 AM »

Sorry to be the one to throw a wrench in the works, but I figured that you all are looking for reliable information, and we have to first define our terms before conducting surveys! :)

All the best,

Dan M.
Thanks so much for all the info you gave us.  I believe I will actually have my dh read it and make the final decision for us.  We don't feel comfortable relying only on neem.    If anyone else answers this survey, perhaps they could specify if they are using neem leaf extract or neem seed oil.  As for us, looks like we're using neem tea!!  :o ;)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 05:34:40 PM »
the malecontraceptive.org site is actually very interesting. In fact they said
 "Reports of neem oil use by 20 Indian Army soldiers as a low dose, orally administered male contraceptive are erroneous. Neem oil was indeed administered as a successful post-coital contraceptive to the wives of 20 soldiers (National Research Council 1992), but it was not a formal study. There have been no studies of neem as a contraceptive in men. " sounds like maybe it was used in the women more as an "abortive contrceptive" ... so I'd check that if any of you ladies are taking it....although I'm sure you all have done tons of research before starting it anyways...I know most of us have been excited/nervous about the whole neem thing :)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 06:53:35 AM »
Our circle of friends (us included) has a husband who takes neem and mom who uses lady-comp, and we're wondering if the neem is unnecessary (so we can save some money) or even harmful in the rare instance that you do become pregnant.  I know that there are some of you who have gotten pregnant while taking neem, and I have a few questions for you. 

Have you had a normal healthy pregnancy?

Was your OB or midwife concerned that you got pregnant while taking neem?

If your child is born, is he/she healthy?

Did you miscarry?

This site (if you type neem, sperm, birth defect, etc. in the search bar) has raised a lot of questions for me about how safe neem is IF you do get pregnant.  So I'm looking for real life instances to see if there were issues related to taking neem internally and miscarriage/birth defects.  And hopefully, we'll prove that neem is safe.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 08:02:06 AM »
i believe the concern with neem if you are already pregnant is if you (the female) are taking it during pregnancy. Although I personally am worried about it compromisign the condition of the sperm and getting pregnant anyways.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 03:44:01 PM »
Bumping for ShabbyChic!  ****** and the rest of us  ;D ;D ;D

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »
Just updating.
1.  How much are you/your husband taking (drops, etc.) and how often - once or twice a day? 6-10 drops
3.  Where did you purchase it and what brand? forgot
4.  Are you using anything in conjunction with it over peak fertility days? used with nfp avoiding fertile days
5.  How long have you been taking it? march 2007-dec 2007
6.  And, lastly, has it been successful - i.e. have you conceived while taking it? not successful.  We "tested" it on one fertile day in nov.  It worked that month.  We "tested" it again in dec more than once and I got pregnant.  I did use it internally once in dec.
7.  If conception occurred, have there been miscarriages/birth defects? I am due in sept. so we will find out then. 

Offline skederbear

• Learning
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »

1.  How much are you/your husband taking (drops, etc.) and how often - once or twice a day? 1,500 mg of neem leef capsules morn and eve
3.  Where did you purchase it and what brand? swanson brand from swanson.com
4.  Are you using anything in conjunction with it over peak fertility days? we use spermicide too
5.  How long have you been taking it? we used it for almost a yr and stoped long enouh to get pregnant. we are currently using it now
6.  And, lastly, has it been successful - i.e. have you conceived while taking it? we have not gotten pregnant while,of course we were using spermicide to. but i have gotten pregnant while using just spermicide so we needed something more.
7.  If conception occurred, have there been miscarriages/birth defects? no miscairages while on it and we have a healthy 1 yr old daughter.
   My husband loves how healthy he has been since he has been on neem . In almost 3 yrs he has been hardly sick at all,really with just a few colds. rest of the family got some bad viruses and he was fine. so even ifthe birth control part didnt wor i would still reccomend it.
 also we have some friends taking it,and one couple had twins and now neem is all they are using,but they did have to try for over a yr to get pregnant for the twins so who knows....

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 06:38:48 AM »
Just updating.
1.  How much are you/your husband taking (drops, etc.) and how often - once or twice a day? 6-10 drops
3.  Where did you purchase it and what brand? forgot
4.  Are you using anything in conjunction with it over peak fertility days? used with nfp avoiding fertile days
5.  How long have you been taking it? march 2007-dec 2007
6.  And, lastly, has it been successful - i.e. have you conceived while taking it? not successful.  We "tested" it on one fertile day in nov.  It worked that month.  We "tested" it again in dec more than once and I got pregnant.  I did use it internally once in dec.
7.  If conception occurred, have there been miscarriages/birth defects? I am due in sept. so we will find out then. 

Now that baby is here I can update question number 7.  Baby was born healthy and strong.  No birth defects that I know of.

Offline Mommyof4

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Ok ladies, looking for more updates on the use of Neem in your homes! Thank you!!!
Blessed Mom:)
My village people:
Tate 10
Morgan 9
Charlotte 7.5
Silas 4.5

Offline tphaeulz

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 04:48:11 AM »
I used the supercritical neem, the softgels. I tracked my menstrual cycle for a year along with recording intercourse times during fertile periods of the month. I would track when I was having intercourse and chart the daily pill taking. :-* Neem definitely works. It does not affect childbirth and no side effects, as I have a beautiful little boy right now.

I will tell you this: Do not miss taking the pill at the same time DAILY. I had charted everything to the T. I ran out of pills and took it a few hours different than usual. Wouldn't you know I got pregnant  :-[ I went to my log and checked it. It was logged as "took pill later, had intercourse". That is the day I conceived. I know through personal experience neem works but you HAVE TO TAKE IT CONSISTENTLY.