Author Topic: Cold Urticaria  (Read 4144 times)

Offline DHW

• Adept
Cold Urticaria
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:42:34 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Cold Urticaria?  This is a painful, red skin rash that develops in response to cold (like 67 degrees).  Two kids and one mom at church all have it (different families).  I have not researched it yet, but I thought I would check here for some helpful advice.

Offline Ruby

• Adept
Re: Cold Urticaria
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:00:58 PM »
My daughter had it when she was younger, I believe around 4 but I can't remember exactly, and she's 9 now.  It really scared me when she started breaking out all over and there was no obvious cause.  She also had a fever at the very beginning but not later when she'd break out.  A few weeks after she came down with it we went on vacation and swam in a cold swimming pool.  I was finally able to put two & two together and began to check into cold urticaria when we returned home.  I took her to her pediatrician and she said she could take some type of medicine, I believe an antihistamine for allergic reactions since the doc said she was basically allergic to the cold.  I didn't want to go that route and wasn't sure if she'd ever grow out of it, so I had her tested and given some homeopathics formulated especially for her.  The doctor had said it could last for years (forever?) or she might grow out of it.  After giving my dd the homeopathics she recovered remarkably quick. 

I also read that it could be caused by a virus such as mono and I had been told about a month previous to her coming down with cold urticaria that I had a relapse of mono.  Not sure if I really did or not, but that was one possible cause of her cold urticaria.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 06:37:28 AM »
I have had a problem with this in the past.  It hasn't bothered me for a long time, but I have learned a lot since it started.  For me it is a specific range of temperatures cause the hives to break out.  I think it is just that I have a hard time staying warm at that range for some reason.  It can be aggravated by stress (what isn't?).  I believe that the condition was triggered by a prolonged exposure to cool temperatures for several days.  I was helping out a neighbor who ran a day care in her home while she was at some doctor appointments.  She was very overweight and kept her house very cold.  I noticed after leaving one day that my foot felt funny.  When I got home  I found I had a huge welt on the bottom of my foot.  Over-air conditioning is the worst for me because I tend to dress warmer if I am going to be outside in cool weather.  Like I said, I had this problem about 10 years ago, in my early twenties.  It hasn't bothered my for at least 8 years and was never too horrible.  I am more careful, and maybe my body has fixed itself, but I am careful anyway.  A warm shower helps quickly, or a little nap with my head under the blankets. 

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
So, an antihistamine is the usual treatment?  Would the natural anithistamines work pretty well?  http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,10202.msg97572.html#msg97572

Or is warming up the best option (no side effects)?

Does this seem like something that would respond to a cleanse, like one with the Dr. Schultze products?  http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,20926.0.html

HB seems to be having good success managing dermagraphism with the Dr. Schultze regimen.

Just wondering what the underlying cause is....
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:07:07 PM by DHW »

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »
I never took any antihistamines, but I didn't have it that bad.  My own hypothesis is that is some kind of immune response, but what or why I don't really know.  Certainly doing some kind of cleanse could be helpful, especially since so much of our immune system relies on what goes on in the guts. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 07:37:26 PM »
This condition deals with the same cells in the skin that my condition does and it's very similar in that the only stimulus is physical rather than allergenic.  I wonder if the info I've posted on dermographism might be of help?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5345.0.html

I believe the cause of my dermo was long term use of narcotics.  Some others I've read about claim it was antibiotics and others still say Tylenol and/or Ibuprofen.
  My favorite herb book!!