Author Topic: Crohn's Disease: Causes, Natural Healing & Cures  (Read 15676 times)

Offline iijuan12

• Wide Eyed
Crohn's Disease: Causes, Natural Healing & Cures
« on: September 10, 2006, 06:16:32 PM »
I have Crohn's Disease and read about how probiotics could help.  Which would be the best? Are there other things I might want to take?  Basically my only symptoms are incredibly painful cramps that come and go and lack of energy (most likely due to not absorbing vitamins).  I'm also breastfeeding right now.  I'd love some advice beacuse my doctor recommended I stop breastfeeding and start taking steroids.  I declined the advice, but I'm in so much pain.   

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Re: Crohn's Disease: Causes, Natural Healing & Cures
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:41:23 AM »
I highly recommend you read the book The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin.  Probiotics are always good and Tummy Tune Up from Beeyoutiful.com is excellent.  You can also check out the thread on the Maker's Diet here.  http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,337.0.html

I'm sure others will have more useful input than I do.   :)  HTH a little.
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 05:44:57 AM »
I highly recommend you read the book The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin.  Probiotics are always good and Tummy Tune Up from Beeyoutiful.com is excellent.  You can also check out the thread on the Maker's Diet here.  http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,337.0.html
I'm sure others will have more useful input than I do.   :)  HTH a little.

I second the recommendation of The Maker's Diet and the Tummy Tune-up and I recommend you read the thread on Leaky Gut Syndrome.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:05:50 AM »
I have a mild form of ulcerative colitis.  I was diagnosed 3 years ago.  While pregnant with my 3rd child and 4 months afterwards I was symptom free.  When my baby was 4 months old I had a big flare up.  My doctor put me back on Colazal.   I struggled whether or not to stop breast feeding.  My gastro doc suggested I stop completely.   Of course, that is what he had to say.  I consulted with my lactaction consultant and finally decided to continue breastfeeding.  I was told to look for diarrhea in the baby to see if the medicine would affect him.  No signs were present so I continued until he was a year old.   That was a tough decision.   I had not ever had to take steriods to stop a flare up. 

But life has changed for the better.  The Maker's Diet is a must read!!!   I checked it out from the library and completely read it in 3 days.   I am currently reading Breaking the Viscious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.   I have also read everything on the ulcerative colitis and chron's disease website.   The overlapping recommendations are no white sugar, no white flour, no soft drinks, no alcohol, no processed foods, high protein diet.  If you decide to purchase the maker's diet, then check out ebay.  I paid $5.94 to have a new hard copy shipped to my home.  Also, recommend you eliminate water with chlorine.   I am currently using distilled water that I purchase at Wal-Mart, and I am drinking at least 8 glasses per day.   Gotta save up for the filter.

I have no intentions of purchasing any products from the Garden of Life that the author of the Maker's Diet sells.   I am currently taking 1 supermom vitamin per day (only 1 because I have a high normal iron count already), and 1 Ultimate Defense probiotic per day.   I am using Kefir, which is a great form of probiotics) from a natual food store (very expensive) and plan on making my own soon using the method on Dom's kefir site with the no air version.   (Gotta save up for the supplies).

To eliminate the white sugar, I have started using raw honey.

To eliminate the white flour, I have started using whole grain pasta and whole grain breads.  I do not make my own yet.

One last thought, 10-15 % of Europeans with Chrohn's or UC are lactose intolerant.  Which means liquid dairy can cause problems.  Currently I am not using any liquid dairy other than Kefir, in which case if properly made, the lactose completely converts to simple sugars that the body can easily digest.  Natural cheeses seem to not cause me any problems (no american processed cheese).

I could add more thoughts, but am running out of time before lunch.  I will try to post more later.

Blessings that God will give you wisdom.  I feel that God led me to this site with all of its information to help me make better decisions for my entire family.  Hope you find it a blessing as well.

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:24:39 PM »
I am back with some more info.

When I was first diagnosed, my doctor gave me a recommendation for a probiotic.   However, I did not try it and then I went into remission during my pregnancy.  This summer I was ready to investigate probiotics further and came across this site.   I selected Ultimate Defense because my digestive problems were already compromised.   I have been taking them for about 1 month.   When I discussed with my doctor, his only concern was whether or not the live bacteria were still alive after being shipped to my door (which according to what I have read, they pack more into each capsule to assure the correct amount are still alive) and whether or not the probiotic was in an enteric coating so that it would reach the colon (Ultimate Defense does not have a enteric coating since it contains fermented greens which need to be digested).   He gave me a name of another probiotic that is regulated by the FDA which I can order from the pharmacy, but it is not a prescription.   I plan to continue with the Ultimate Defense.

For the pain you mention, you might try peppermint tea.   It aids in digestion.  I use peppermint/red raspberry tea on a regular basis.   But with UC, I do not have any pain.

Peanut butter is high in protein, but most have added sugar.   I use Smucker's Natural peanut butter.   You will have to mix it, then refrigerate, but it does not have added sugar. 

Also found that store bought shredded cheeses and store bought bags of lettuce are often sprayed to prevent spoiling, which triggers a flare for me.  My solution, buy blocks of cheese and shredd myself and buy bunches of lettuce and clean/mix myself.

Oatmeal with blueberries is a great breakfast idea.  I use white grape juice/water and soak overnight in the frig.

Back to the water...no chloronated water since chlorine irritates the skin and bowel.   

Other people have tried aloe vera juice as a drink.  I personally have not tried it.  But it may be worth investigating further.

Started using Supermom because my other multivitamin had too many no- nos, like sugar and starch.

Starch is placed in a lot of foods and is not on the label, i.e. canned veggies.   For most this may not be a problem, but for someone trying to avoid starches, then a can of peas may cause a flare.   Solution, fresh or frozen veggies.

Hope this helps.   When I first started reading I was overwhelmed.   So I decided to start slowly.  I figured it took me 34 years to get to this point, so it will probably take me more than a day to make these adjustments even though I was ready to do them all at once.

Offline joy b

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 07:27:58 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not.   ???

Has anyone had experience with Crohn's disease?  What have you symptoms been?  A woman I know has been sick and it sounds like she might have it.  I don't know much about it myself, so I would appreciate input from those of you who know more than I do! 
After learning so much about cleanses lately, mostly from you WTM folks, I started thinking that some cleanse would probably do her a lot of good. 

Thanks a lot, S

P.S.  I have seen several different spellings for this disease... don't know which on is right! 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:36:18 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 07:51:56 AM »
I don't know a lot about this disease, as I haven't experienced it personally, but a very good friend of mine had it. Actually, the drs weren't able to tell if it was colitis or chrones (since there are alot of similarities), but she ended up (after 7 years) having her colon removed. I know that in the beginning she had blood in her stools and general stomach/intestinal discomfort; later it progressed into being sick and vomitting often and another disease/illness (can't remember the name) that commonly comes along with colitis & chrones where her legs below the knees and feet got swollen and sore with big blisters so that she couldn't walk for months. She was on several different medications and hospitalized several times - the drs couldn't figure out what to do for her. In the natural heath area, one thing that helped her (afte the drs had given up) was following a macrobiotic diet strictly. I wish I would've known about some of these cleanses to see if they could have helped. HTH
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:36:32 AM by healthybratt »
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 08:37:32 AM »
The Maker's Diet is a book all about a doc who had Chron's disease and healed it with diet and probiotics.  I recommend anyone who has this disease to read this book.
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 12:26:01 PM »
The Maker's Diet is a book all about a doc who had Crohn's disease and healed it with diet and probiotics.  I recommend anyone who has this disease to read this book.

It is an interesting read--his earlier books have more about his battle w/ Crohn's, I think...I see there's another Crohn's thread, too.  I have a family member w/ it...can't wait to explore treating it on WTM!

Offline kcs79sun

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »
I second this comment!  Everyone (with or without Chron's) should read Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin (check out www.makersdiet.com).  He almost died of the disease and now is perfectly healthy even though the doctor's say Chron's isn't curable!

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 04:18:02 AM »
As I read more about celiac disease, I am reminded of it's long diagnosis (9-11 years), and how it sometimes co-exists w/ Crohn's.  It's so often misdiagnosed, and I would encourage people to consider the blood test or small intestine biopsy (the gold standard test) stool or saliva test to rule out celiac, b/c celiac is much more manageable than Crohn's (go gluten-free).  I know--my dh has Crohn's and I may have celiac's...I think he could, too.  So many similar symptoms, but certain ones of celiacs are sounding more like dh's case...numbing/pain in fingers (or other extremities), bloating, anemia, bone loss, etc.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 03:27:26 PM by YooperMama »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »
my father-in-law, he is recovering in ICU from a massive heart attack (ten days ago).  They just removed his ventilator today and he is dealing with pneumonia and a staph infection.  His abdomen is also swollen from his overtaxed liver I believe.  My SIL, who is another WTM gal, and I would LOVE to do some herbal stuff for him.  Maybe a poultice over his liver???  He is usually not willing to try these things but may allow his daughter to do something. It is so hard for us to watch him being pumped full of medication and antibiotics.  He also suffers from Crohn's.
If any of you have ideas could you PM them to me?  Does anyone have experience with doing herbal treatments while at the hospital?

My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »
I would highly recommend you find yourself a copy of the Maker's Diet

and possibly Inflammation Nation or Win the War Within (they are virtually the same book, but the 2nd one has more info and is more expensive).

The Maker's Diet is written by a doctor who has cured himself of Chron's with diet.

The other two books are about healing inflammation in the body (causing autoimmune disorders like Chron's) with diet.

These two books should give you a huge amount of information right at your fingertips.

There are threads in the forum on both topics.

The Maker's Diet
Inflammation & Diet

I suggest you also educate yourself on Candida and Leaky Gut.  This includes information on liver toxicity.

Start with this thread.

I Think I Have Leaky Gut and/or Candida:  What Now?

My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »
There's this thread on Crohn's...the spelling messes me up sometimes... ;)

Crohn's and one on Crohn's and probiotics....

These topics were merged with the current thread.

I'd look at gluten intolerance...co-exists a lot w/ Crohn's and is often misdiagnosed...we have Crohn's in our family....more later....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:59:44 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »
There's this thread on Crohn's...the spelling messes me up sometimes... ;)

Crohn's and one on Crohn's and probiotics....

These topics were merged with the current thread.

I'd look at gluten intolerance...co-exists a lot w/ Crohn's and is often misdiagnosed...we have Crohn's in our family....more later....

Thanks, I couldn't find it a minute ago.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 03:01:15 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline loolahm3

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 05:32:48 PM »
My hubby has Crohn's and he read Elaine Gotchall's book and it has really worked!!!!  Very cheap way to heal.  Don't have to buy all sorts of supplements like the Makers diet.  We couldn't afford the makers diet way.  Although, SCD diet is hard to stick to, well for my hubby.  Prayers for him would be great, he is in a flare up right now.  Blessings, Layla

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
Hi Loolahm3,

What is the title of Elaine Gotchall's book please?

"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

YoopreMama

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 01:56:21 AM »
Hope it's OK if I answer that...The book is called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle:  Intestinal Health through Diet".

(BTW, I have the related Lucy's Specific Carbohydrate Diet Cookbook for sale on the Buy/Sell thread, if anyone's interested.)   :)

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 03:26:30 AM »
Thanks Yooper! I have a BIL who has either Crohn's or celiac's and I am trying to get some good recommended reading for him. Funny how I always come here to get the recommendations! ;)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post anyway. Has anyone with Crohn's gone through with surgery to remove a small portion of the small intestines? My brother is planning to have surgery this week to have 12 inches taken out. He said the doc's say he will be able to eat normal after a couple of days. I guess normal as in the incisions will healed & not harmed by most foods. I am wondering if there are any thoughts on how to introduce foods after this to get his body healed from the disease itself, rather than just eat mild things that will not hurt the incision. Any information that I can pass along to him will be very helpful. He is in the hospital now & will be there until a week or two after his surgery.

Thanks!!

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
Mommyoftwins...

I have recently bought two books that might be of interest to you or your brother; "The Makers Diet" and "Patient Heal Thyself" by Jordan S. Rubin. This man was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and almost died from it. In these two books he writes about his disease and what he went through before he finally got healed. This includes foods and supplements that people should eat. This diet and supplements that he writes about is not only good for the Crohn's patients, but also for everyone who is alive.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 04:09:57 AM »
Mommyoftwins...

I have recently bought two books that might be of interest to you or your brother; "The Makers Diet" and "Patient Heal Thyself" by Jordan S. Rubin. This man was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and almost died from it. In these two books he writes about his disease and what he went through before he finally got healed. This includes foods and supplements that people should eat. This diet and supplements that he writes about is not only good for the Crohn's patients, but also for everyone who is alive.
Ditto.  I wonder even if he would consider skipping the surgery until he reads the book.  It might be truly beneficial.  I've not heard good outcomes from removing any part of the digestive system.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 04:31:52 AM »
He's read them. It's been a few years since then, but he has & so have I. I don't know why he decided not to try it. Probably because that lifestyle is too "hard." He is always busy & in a hurry. So, he won't just prepare for those times, he just grabs the quickest, easiest thing to give him energy in a hurry. :( He tried for so long doing things naturally, though I don't know how natural it was. He just got tired of being sick.

I sent him links to the leaky gut threads & he was interested. I don't know that he realizes that you can't just fix something quickly & feel better, then go back to doing whatever you want. I don't know how to help him understand that without being overbearing.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »
Well, the surgery is completed. :-\ We'll just pray that this really does give him a chance to start over. He said he still has the Maker's Diet book. Maybe he'll look it over & really get interested. I guess nobody here has any experience with this type of surgery (or knows someone who has)?

Offline ManyWeavers

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 03:00:37 AM »
 My brother has had Crohn's disease for years. It was at the point where he couldn't go very far because of having to be near a bathroom at all times. He actually bought a van that had a bathroom in it simply so he could leave the house.
 He said he had tried herbs and they hadn't worked. THey also read Maker's Diet and thot it would pretty much be impossible to eat and live that way practically. Yeah, i know, bite tongue, but there's a place to talk and a place NOT to talk. It didn't help that my sil is/was a registered nurse and they both are VERY opinionated.
  He was on some seriously nasty drugs and finally had the surgery done where they remove most of your stomach and he has some kind of release valve on his stomach that he'll release waste from. It's not a colostomy, something more advanced. He can not eat anything like corn because the part of the stomach that would digest that was taken out. SO while his diet "improved" he still has to watch it, but he says it's the best thing he could've done. He now has a life again, doesn't have that terrible pain and is able to travel and work. In his mind, totally worth it.
  There's a time when i would've had some pretty strong things to say about it, but have come to realize that unless i've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, i'm better simply listening and not giving strong opinions, unless asked.  ;D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 08:27:45 AM »
He's read them. It's been a few years since then, but he has & so have I. I don't know why he decided not to try it. Probably because that lifestyle is too "hard."

THey also read Maker's Diet and thot it would pretty much be impossible to eat and live that way practically.

I've been looking into the book "A Life Unburdened: Getting Over Weight and Getting on With My Life" and I'm beginning to think that it should be handed to someone as soon as they get thru reading the Makers Diet, or Eat Fat, Lose Fat, or Nourishing Traditions. Because it seems to me that he [the author, Richard Morris] is the only one that makes this kind of lifestyle change sound do-able. He and his wife both did it and they are busy active professional people and they changed to a traditional [NT or MD style] and not only lost a lot of weight, but got rid of a lot of health problems.

He and his wife have a website: http://www.breadandmoney.com/index.html

WR
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:33:13 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!