Author Topic: Rebounder  (Read 24669 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Rebounder
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:26:39 AM »
Do any of you use a rebounder?  I have read some really great stuff about it.  They say it is the ultimate aerobics exercise.  I know that walking is good, but with two toddlers, it is impossible to get a good brisk walk. But have also heard that you really need a good one (about $200).  Any thoughts?  Any success/failure with a cheap one?  Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Rebounder
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 03:16:58 PM »
Do any of you use a rebounder?  I have read some really great stuff about it.  They say it is the ultimate aerobics exercise.  I know that walking is good, but with two toddlers, it is impossible to get a good brisk walk. But have also heard that you really need a good one (about $200).  Any thoughts?  Any success/failure with a cheap one?  Thanks!

I've heard that aerobics aren't the best for your body as all the exercise guru's claim.  It's hard on the heart and the joints.  Mild exercise with some aerobics, a lot of stretching and brisk walking is highly recommended.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »
But HB- how do you take 2-3 little kids on a brisk walk?   ::)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 04:37:41 PM »
Hey Guys,
Re bounders are great!!!  We had one growing up and it is great for any age child.  The beauty of the rebounder is it is a very low impact (easy on the joints) workout.  To start out you can simply bounce up and down without jumping, as you progress you can run in place, jump rope and lots of other stuff.  My mom always found them at garage sales for herself and her friends.  The only thing you have to be careful of is not to leave it out in the weather.  The rubber jumping mat can rot.  We learned this the hard way and had to replace a couple.  That is another thing, they can be brought in the house in bad weather and used anywhere!  Ours stayed in the living room during the winter months in Western NY.  I really wish I had brought one down here with me.  Oh well, maybe furlough.  Hope this has been some help.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 05:23:14 PM »
But HB- how do you take 2-3 little kids on a brisk walk?   ::)

Then do pilates or do the sweatin' to the oldies, it's very mild.  I don't follow the entire routine, but use it as a guide, cuz the kids think richard simmons is funny (so do I).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 05:24:12 PM »
Are you guys talking about a mini-tramp?  Dummy me.   ::)  I have one, they are good for jogging in place and easy on the knees.  The kids play on it too.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mrsted

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 03:28:31 AM »
i have a cheap ($30) rebounder i've had for yrs...i love it, but have abandoned using it because i have low-back issues and everytime i use it, my back hurts for a couple days...
i know it's low-impact, but my sacrum doesn't like it!...judy

Offline wolfsonmom

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 05:41:17 AM »
I have the Urban Rebounder and it is great!  I bought it online for about $100 and it came with 3 workout videos.  I can only do the most basic routine yet, but after just a couple of uses I really noticed an improvement in my stamina and muscle tone in my legs.  I am trying to lose weight and get in better shape and it is slow going with 9 kids, but I have high hopes!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 03:59:27 PM »
We recently purchased one (40" diameter) for about $30. It was a WONDERFUL investment. While waiting for my 6 yr old to complete work, I can just bounce away. It is easy to do while listening to music -- even when waiting for food to heat in the kitchen. I just have to be careful not to put it under a ceiling fan LOL! Because it is so compact, it's easy to roll into whatever room I'm in. The kids like it, too. I even used it today for a training session on how to sit quietly. They had to sit there until I said they could move. Exercise videos always had to wait until I had the time or the TV was available. Other exercise appliances required lots of floor space and were noisy. This is one thing that is small, easy to do in spurts throughout the day and relatively quiet -- that is, if you don't count the sound of unwanted pounds flapping away  :-[ ;). I have already noticed an increase in my energy level and stamina as well as toning in my middle and thighs. DH seems to like the change as well  ;D.

Question: does anyone have a standard routine that they follow? I'm thinking about how many repetitions of what movement. I'm not looking for videos yet because I think that might not be as convenient. Do you time yourself or do you count the bounces? What works for you?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 04:01:18 PM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »
Can you use one while pregnant? Or is it too "high-impact"?

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
Can you use one while pregnant? Or is it too "high-impact"?

I think caution would be the key. First, I would make sure I was wearing something that gave good support to my belly and breasts. Then, I would recommend really listening to cues from your body. If you are like me, your joints can get really loose during pregnancy -- especially across the front of the pelvis. If you experience pain or discomfort, discontinue the activity immediately.

Otherwise, I would take it easy. Try a gentle bounce where your feet don't leave the rebounder. Keep your knees flexed, your pelvis tilted and keep the sessions short (5 minutes or less to start). No jolting or twisting. This will still give you results as you are using your muscles for balance and bounce. But again, I would take things slowly and discontinue any activity that caused pain (or unusual soreness). The same cautions go for postnatal activities.

I wish I had one of these during my last pregnancy. Walking became impossible because of the pelvic pain. I think a rebounder would have helped keep me active and increased my circulation.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 08:09:42 AM »
Okay, this is one of those things I started doing without knowing all of the benefits (like the skin brushing). However, the benefits have been such that I decided to do some research and share with you what I’ve learned. If you’re already sold on the idea and want to know one of my frugal solutions, skip to the end of this post. We, of the Fellowship of the Frugal, would have T-shirts, but are far too “careful” with our funds to invest in the enterprise.  8)

The following information is a summary of information I found on the following sites:
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/reviews/rebounding.htm
http://www.holistichealthtools.com/rebound.html
http://www.healthbounce.com/march-newsletter.htm

Fitness benefits of rebounding:
Increases the capacity of heart and lungs
Improves muscle tone (particularly legs, thighs, hips, abdomen and arms)
No strain (very gentle) on the joints of your body. Although the connective tissue reacts differently than muscles and bones and possibly slower, it is now accepted that exercise will tighten and strengthen the ligaments of the body.

Health benefits of rebounding
Improves circulation & can help reduce edema (water retention)
Lowers cholesterol levels
Improves co-ordination and balance – very important for elderly, special needs, patients recovering from injury and pregnant moms.
Boosts the lymphatic and immune system by moving all parts of the body at once. This is also known as cellular exercise. The lymphatic system (white blood system) does not have a pump. It is only moved by physical activities. And rebounding is the perfect activity, because it gets everything moving at once. As a cellular exercise rebounding not only gets the juices flowing, but it also helps to remove toxins and then deliver and absorb nutrients at the cellular level where it can be converted into energy.
Vision therapists have been using trampolining very successfully to strengthen the cells of the eyes and improve vision for over forty years.

Energy level and mood benefits
Reduces stress and tension
Increases energy and vitality

Time benefits of rebounding
Fits in with your lifestyle

How it works
At the top of the bounce you experience weightlessness, and at the bottom your weight doubles pulling you into the center of the rebounder. Cellular exercise strengthens every cell. Because of the extra forces of acceleration and deceleration your weight doubles at the bottom of the bounce or from a time point of view, an hours worth of regular exercise can be done on the rebounder in a half hour, because the body is experiencing pull from two directions with one movement. Overall it is 68% more efficient than regular exercise.
Because of the longer springs, every move is easier and gentler on the knees and ankles.
     Rebound exercise circulates the lymphatic fluids and cleanses the lymph system. It works with and against the gravitation pressure. It also increases the white blood count, thus strengthens the immune system.
     The lymphatic system is connected to every organ of the body. It is the garbage collector, the internal vacuum cleaner sucking up metabolic garbage, toxins and excess fluid from the extra cellular fluid of every organ. If this flow is impaired, the fluid becomes thick and toxic. The parts of the body that rely on it for elimination become less efficient and sluggish as they fill with their own waste. This otherwise life sustaining system now becomes a breeding ground for infection. Almost anything that can stimulate the movement of lymph fluid inside the lymph vessels of the system is healthy, but the most efficient way to stimulate the flow of lymph fluid is by rebounding. The up and down rhythmic bouncing causes all of the one-way valves to open and close simultaneously increasing lymph flow as much as fifteen times! Rebounding does that.

Personal Recommendations
Go cheap. The benefit of this exercise is in the movement. You don’t want to have springs breaking on you, but I wouldn’t invest $100s in one. I just got mine from a local store for $30. It suits me fine and the benefits are great.
Keep it indoors. Putting it outside exposes it to the elements, shortens the life of the equipment and places it outside of your “convenience zone.” You want the thing where you can jump on it whenever you want. Mine is 40” and can be stood on its side and rolled behind the couch easily.

Use support. This is not something to do without proper undergarments! If you can’t imagine what I mean here, go ask your mother. If you ignore this warning, time (and gravity) will convince you later of its wisdom.
Start with short sessions. Just jump on whenever you think of it. I use it when I’m waiting for a student to finish a paper, waiting for the oven to preheat, etc. I’ve recently started counting to 100 several times per day.
Use what works best for you. We aren’t trying for an Olympic event. People working on their balance and coordination shouldn’t even bounce enough to move their feet off of the surface of the rebounder. Use a chair back or place a hand on the wall for balance. This is about the bounce. You don’t have to leap into the air. Over time, your energy and balance will increase enough that you can add more complex moves. You want this to be an easy part of your daily routine so that you will be encouraged to continue.
Don’t let a lack of mobility stop you. If you aren’t able to stand, sit on the surface and bounce. This will also strengthen your core muscles – those that support your abdomen and rib cage. This is very important for those who are in a wheelchair.
Let children enjoy rebounding. I have a small child with muscle tone issues. I hold him firmly and “bounce” several times per day. He thinks it’s great fun. In reality, I am increasing his balance, mobility, and strength as well as rushing oxygen to the brain by increasing the circulation. . When a student starts to mentally drift, I assign him a quick 50 on the rebounder. If I had an infant, I would rebound while holding the baby, but make SURE that the head and neck were well supported and not subject to flapping, which would cause injury.

A quick cheap fix
Okay, you’re sold on the idea, but there isn’t an extra $30 growing on the money tree, and you don’t want to wait. I have a solution. There is a dance move that serves the purpose and doesn’t require any special equipment.

Keep your feet a comfortable width apart and stand on the balls of your feet – not necessarily a tiptoe. Allow your weight to drop and then “catch” yourself just before your heels hit the floor. You should feel a reasonable jiggle/jolt to your body as you perform these drops. You can do this whenever or wherever you want (I wouldn’t recommend it at the grocery store, LOL!). It should feel as though you’ve dropped off of a pair of high heeled shoes. As the muscles in your legs build up, you can do this very rapidly. This is the same movement you would use if you were bouncing a baby on your knee -- only you're standing up and bouncing yourself. You can make these movements as bold or small as you wish. A controlled movement offers greater muscle building and toning benefits This can also be a source of entertainment for DH in your more private moments ::) :-[.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:23:42 AM by SC »

Offline Inspiring the Wellness In You!

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 10:53:24 AM »
Rebounding on a mini trampoline is great exercise.  My husband first bought one 8 years ago, an expensive kind at Walmart.  After a few months of use of steady use, it broke and he then decided to invest in a better quality one.  We purchased one from ReboundAIR.  What a difference it made.  We still own it and have since only had to change out the springs. The bounce is definitely a softer bounce.  My husband, myself and my two children use it daily.  Its almost time for us to purchase a second one so we don't have to wait in line to use it, this is no exaggeration.   It has helped all of us with more energy and has also helped me tremendously during allergy season just helping clean out the lymphatic system.  We value the benefits so much, I am now a distributor.  Please email me for more information!

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 11:29:06 AM »
I'll have to ask my DH, but I know that trampolines are absolutely not allowed at our house.  Nor are the kids allowed to use them if we go to someone's house that has one.  I'll ask his 'professional opinion' on the use of a mini-trampoline.  Personally I use the 'Walk Away the Pounds' videos, and the kids just 'walk' with me!

Okay, I talked to hubby and he said he wouldn't use one, nor would he allow his family.  He said the constant pounding (even low-impact) could have a negative effect on your verterbral discs.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:48:51 AM by KeepItSimple »
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline HeatherRose

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 01:26:57 PM »
I got one since I figured it was low impact but I got very nauseous after only 1 minute of gentle bouncing.  It moves the lymph when you're healthy, but is jarring when your lymph isn't flowing well which is probably why it made me feel so sick.  My nutritionist doesn't recommend it for me because he says my lymph system is clogged (from eating lots of cooked vegetable oil for 30 years).  OK, I have no idea if that is true, but I felt so awful I didn't rebound again.  When I'm able to complete the time intensive (6 hr a week for several years) lymph cleanse I'll test my progress on the rebounder.

My husband is a fitness trainer and he uses the rebounder sometimes with his clients because it helps the body stimulates every cell in your body, strengthens your stabilizer muscles and moves your lymph which boosts your immune system.  After a hard workout a couple minutes on the rebounder helps relieve muscle soreness.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 02:00:05 PM »
Okay, I talked to hubby and he said he wouldn't use one, nor would he allow his family.  He said the constant pounding (even low-impact) could have a negative effect on your verterbral discs.

I agree with his opinion about trampolines in regards to adults. Seems that we can always find a way to turn something helpful into a hazard.

In regards to rebounding, the person doing the rebounding is in charge of the level of impact. The benefit gained doesn't have to be jarring. You don't even have to lift your feet off of the pad, just bounce -- AND you don't even have to be standing to do this (that's why it's good for those with limited mobility). Also, it's good for regaining balance.

If someone told me that damage was being done to joints from rebounding, I would be VERY concerned about the technique and/or suspect that something else was causing the problem.

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 02:13:42 PM »
This was just hubby's opinion on my bad explanation of what a rebounder was.  I told him it was a mini-trampoline.  At any rate...being a chiropractor, he is ancy over any kind of motion that will stress the discs.  Disc problems typically are cumulative..meaning years of inappropriate care will eventually lead to disc problems (My observations, not his).  I'd have to ask him again what his ideas are on this.

Okay, enough from me!   :P
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline herbnurse

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »
I don't use my mini-trampoline as much as I used to but it is good. If you do things like jumping jacks it helps move circulation through the lymph system. It should help prevent all kinds of problems when you keep the lymph flowing.
Eph. 4;29

Offline kimberlee

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 03:20:29 PM »
Has anyone used the rebounder during their pregnancy? Just curious-I have been using my rebounder for several months and just found out I am pregnant. I don't know what effects the bouncing could have on the baby. I have heard that women have used them throughout their pregnancies but wanted to hear from someone directly. Thanks!

Kim

Offline 4chilesa

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 04:22:59 PM »
Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to encourage you not to jump on a rebounder if you are expecting.  I did that a number of years ago and ended up with a placenta previa and lost my little one.  I think it would be all right to walk on it and lift your knees high as you do it, but don't bounce.

It is great excercise and when I use mine faithfully it doesn't take long to realize I've toned up and lost inches

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 04:44:16 PM »
Reading about all the health benefits from rebounding again  makes me want to exercise regularly on mine.  I have a needak rebounder  and the mat  is so much softer than the cheap brands.  And  much better for your joints too.  I did the health bounce during my last pregnancy and was told that gently bouncing without lifting your feet from the mat was fine.  Here is a link: http://www.healthbounce.com/rebounders/faq.htm   Go to number 8 - Is rebounding safe during pregancy.
 Blessing's,
    RB
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 05:47:10 PM »
In all cases of miscarriage, there are a number of variables. Just because a pregnant woman participated in a common activity doesn't mean that activity CAUSED her miscarriage.

A good rule of thumb is to do as much gentle exercise (IMO rebounding is in this category as long as you aren't leaping for the ceiling, just bouncing with feet on the mat) as you can to keep up your stamina, muscle tone and circulation. If you experience pain and/or discomfort from a specific movement and/or activity, avoid that activity/movement until you know it is safe to resume. My understanding of anatomy has not led me to conclude that bouncing could change the position of a placenta, but I'm still learning.

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »
Just throwing this out there. I have a mini-trampoline (rebounder) and a full size trampoline with net walls. I love jumping on them, and it is a great workout (just my opinion).  My chiropractor doesn't have a problem with our family using this form of exercise.  I had lots of problems from delivering a 12 lb baby boy back in June 2006 that I am still working on, but my problem now is that when I am jumping all my "female organs" feel like they might bottom out, if you know what I mean. Other than that, it is really a great strengthener for the legs and buttocks, as well as moving the lymph.  I sit on it and gently bounce while holding my 7 month old son.  He loves it. (I am NOT standing up with him or bouncing hard, only sitting cross legged with him on my lap! He's in no danger of bouncing off or anything like that.
We got our rebounder for cheap at one of those "used sporting equipment stores"
Mom to 5 wonderful chillin'

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 03:42:02 PM »
Time to get a new rebounder

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »
Have you tried kegals?  They help me not pee myself (I've only had two full term), and they seem to keep my "female organs in place too.  They Bradley Childbirth book has lots of good info about how to do them properly.

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 07:19:12 AM »
Have you tried kegals?  They help me not pee myself (I've only had two full term), and they seem to keep my "female organs in place too.  They Bradley Childbirth book has lots of good info about how to do them properly.

I do them, but not as religiously as I probably should. I forget...  I really should do them more, because I have noticed a huge difference with this particular problem after the birth of my 5th son...I wonder if it is due to a cumulative effect? Thanks for the reminder!

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 04:53:40 AM »
My sister, has lost 40 pounds since May, by jumping on a rebounder!!!   She started out by jumping  three minutes at a time,   a couple times per  day, until she worked her way up to 15 minutes twice a day.   She was losing 4 to 5 pounds the first few weeks, and now she has slowed down some,   but is still steadily losing.   She hasn't changed  much in her eating (she  doesn't necessarily eat that healthy)  habits,  except to eat less sweets.   
She has experience some other health benefits too.   She had broken or badly sprained   her ankle by falling down the arena steps at the farm show building ( :o !) ,  and  it didn't look good for her to be able to regain full use of her ankle again.    She can now actually run again and rebounding has really helped her ankle to be much more flexible too.   A certain *leaking* problem that she had,  when she first started jumping on the rebounder has gone away too.   That must mean the rebounder helps to tone even our bladder muscles!   
Just wanted to add that my sister has a good quality soft mat (needak)   rebounder, as the cheap ones can  be hard on your joints.

This REALLY  motivates me to start jumping on my rebounder!!   I need to lose some weight too.   
Blessing's,
   RB

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 04:53:48 AM »
I did this for 25 minutes a day for over a month and didn't lose a single pound and I was (am) eating healthy.  I wish I could figure out why exercise works for some and not others.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 06:44:13 AM »
I did this for 25 minutes a day for over a month and didn't lose a single pound and I was (am) eating healthy.  I wish I could figure out why exercise works for some and not others.

I kinda get the drift that my sister does all kinds of strange  jumps on her rebounder !    :D    I asked her if I can come watch her  sometime to learn what she does, and she was like, "yea,  right!"   :D 

HB,   have you tried  a  rebounding exercise video ?    They REALLY  have you do a workout!   :o    I actually had to buy a DVD for beginners,  as the first DVD I bought was too advanced for me,  I couldn't keep up!    ::)      Now to my shame, I can't  even keep up with the older lady on the beginner DVD that looks to be my Moms age.    ::) :D    I'm starting with baby steps......   :D   

Offline momofskc

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas here, ladies. 3 1/2 yrs later this is still good info. Trying to find out all I can about rebounding. I'm hoping to start soon as I have a very sluggish lymphatic system. My mom died of breast cancer and her mother just had a mastectomy on the right side from a cancerous lump so I am hoping to be more pro-active about my lymphatic health. If any of you have updates or more advice on this topic please share as I will be checking back. Thanks.
Julie:)