Author Topic: Leaky Gut Syndrome: Signs, Symptoms & Cures  (Read 138305 times)

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
Re: Leaky Gut Syndrome: Signs, Symptoms & Cures
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2008, 02:31:54 AM »
OK, I've had my family on a strict diet and supplements for about two weeks now but I was just doing some research on Biotin to make sure it wasn't toxic in high doses (I was going to increase everyone's intake, if it was safe, to heal the gut faster and clear up some skin issues.)  While researching this, it said that Pantothenic Acid (another thing I'm supplementing) can cause depletion in Biotin.  So, any addvice out there?  Should they just not be taken at the same time?  I actually wanted to 'jump start/high dose' both of them since they aren't toxic but am I going to reverse one with the other? 

HB, I dare you to figure this out for me, or did you already answer this and I missed it ;)?  I know how much you love to research ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2008, 07:00:17 AM »
OK, I've had my family on a strict diet and supplements for about two weeks now but I was just doing some research on Biotin to make sure it wasn't toxic in high doses (I was going to increase everyone's intake, if it was safe, to heal the gut faster and clear up some skin issues.)  While researching this, it said that Pantothenic Acid (another thing I'm supplementing) can cause depletion in Biotin.  So, any addvice out there?  Should they just not be taken at the same time?  I actually wanted to 'jump start/high dose' both of them since they aren't toxic but am I going to reverse one with the other? 

HB, I dare you to figure this out for me, or did you already answer this and I missed it ;)?  I know how much you love to research ;D
I don't know anything about Biotin or Pantothenic acid and I'm doing a perm today for MIL, so I might leave this to the others who are more educated on this topic.   ;D

(PS  I rarely succumb to dares  :P ;D :D)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2008, 07:36:42 AM »

Obviously not HB, but I wouldn't worry about one depleting the other so much.   
In my research, I have found that Biotin doesn't necessarily deplete the pantothenic acid, but is a catalyst for it, so to speak... biotin is necessary for the body to be able to utilize pantothenic acid optimally.
What I would do would be to take half a dose of the biotin twice a day and take the pantothenic acid once a day.. I also tend to take my B vits as early in the day as possible as they keep me up at night otherwise....
I don't know what levels you are thinking of using, but I would look at using Biotin 500 mcg twice a day (for a total of 1,000mcg) and Pantothenic acid 500mg daily. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:48:04 PM by Mrs. B »

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2008, 10:47:48 AM »
Since neither one is toxic (to my understanding) and they are both supposed to help heal the gut and clear sinus congestion (both of which we have going on due, I believe, to candida) I was going to pound as much of it in everyone as possible.  Seems like it was Wikipedia or some other site that said Pantothenic Acid depletes Biotin.  I thought maybe the same as you Mrs. B, that I'd do the Biotin in the morning and evening with meals and the Pantothenic Acid at lunchtime.  I have never noticed any sleep issues with B vitamins, but then I've never thought of it.  We're taking L-Glutamine for gut healing, also.  I was getting that one mixed up with the Pantothenic Acid which is primarily for the congestion.  It is working for that, by the way  ;D

Not even to double dog dares, HB ::) ;D?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »
Hey T...
I just re-read my above post and don't know what I was doing when I initially wrote it...  I have edited it so that it makes some kind of sense...
K...

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2008, 02:41:09 AM »
When it comes to healing the gut, have any of you tried homemade gelatin (from bone broth or stock)? It's supposed to be very healing for the intestinal lining and give the good flora an ideal place to settle down and raise a family.  ;)

I have been very curious about this, so I thought I'd ask.

WR
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:32:23 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2008, 03:15:50 PM »
Is it at all possible to heal the leaky gut BEFORE you've cleaned up the yeast?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
I don't know about any research, but my opinion is that you can't. Since Candida pokes holes in your intestinal wall, I would think you need to kill the Candida before you can heal completely.

WR
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:54:01 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »

I'll actually disagree with WR.  Only because we are healing my son's gut and we haven't worked on candida with him at all.  We do eat a low sugar diet and I'm careful about yeast with my family but we haven't treated him yet for candida.  He had enough antibiotics as a baby for 3 people so I know yeast is an issue.  However, my ND has him taking Thorne's Perma Clean and his gut is healing very well.  He may not totally heal without dealing with the candida, but I believe you can start.  leaky gut can take several years to heal so you may as well start now.  I cannot recommend the Perma Clean enough!  We saw my son change in just a week with that stuff!

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2008, 03:03:34 AM »
Wow, that's great. What is Perma Clean and what kind of changes have you seen?

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2008, 03:07:45 AM »

I'll actually disagree with WR.  Only because we are healing my son's gut and we haven't worked on candida with him at all.  We do eat a low sugar diet ...
 with my family but we haven't treated him yet for candida.
This in itself may kill the yeast.

and I'm careful about yeast
Eating yeast does not create yeast

Candida Albicans vs Other Yeasts: Are All Yeasts Created Equal

However, my ND has him taking Thorne's Perma Clean and his gut is healing very well. .

This contains at least two power probiotics.  Probiotics kill and control yeast.

Leaky gut is caused by candida.  If you do not remove the cause, you cannot heal the gut.  The candida will continue to grow, flourish and mutate and make new holes.  Healing will be an uphill battle.  My first post in this thread explains this more thoroughly.

There is some speculation that leaky guts can be created by other causes, like metals, NSAIDS, etc, but based on my research, I believe these are merely contributors and not the actual cause.

This link has a long list of links at the bottom of the post.  These are the websites where I got my information on Candida and Leaky Gut.

I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:23:04 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2008, 08:24:37 AM »

and I'm careful about yeast
Eating yeast does not create yeast

I should clarify this...  I don't watch that he doesn't get yeast - I watch that he doesn't eat foods that promote it.  Yeah, eating yeast does not beget yeast.   ;D

I agree that you cannot totally heal leaky gut without dealing with candida - I was simply saying that I think you can still start on the leaky gut and make some progress even if you haven't yet treated for candida.  As HB pointed out, just doing what we are doing (low sugar/non candida promoting foods) will help some with the candida.  While we may not be able to totally heal leaky gut without the yeast cleansing, I think a person can (and should) get a good jump on it just from what we've seen in my son.  At some point the candida will have to be dealt with.

patti
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:29:35 AM by mykidsmom »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »

I'll actually disagree with WR.  Only because we are healing my son's gut and we haven't worked on candida with him at all.  We do eat a low sugar diet and I'm careful about yeast with my family but we haven't treated him yet for candida.  He had enough antibiotics as a baby for 3 people so I know yeast is an issue.  However, my ND has him taking Thorne's Perma Clean and his gut is healing very well.  He may not totally heal without dealing with the candida, but I believe you can start.  leaky gut can take several years to heal so you may as well start now.  I cannot recommend the Perma Clean enough!  We saw my son change in just a week with that stuff!

patti
Where do you buy the Perma Clean?
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »

patti
Where do you buy the Perma Clean?

It's a Thorne supplement.  I get mine from my ND but I would guess if you google Thorne supplements and Perma Clear that you should get some hits.  Please note I corrected the last part of the name.  It is Perma CleaR not Perma CleaN.  Sorry for the error.

patti

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2008, 05:05:46 PM »
Wow, that's great. What is Perma Clea[r] and what kind of changes have you seen?

WR

bumpity-bump
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2008, 08:07:18 PM »
Wow, that's great. What is Perma Clea[r] and what kind of changes have you seen?

WR

bumpity-bump
WR

Sorry - I just saw this.  Perma Clear is a supplement that literally is intended to plug the holes in a person's gut while one treats the body.  As the gut heals it nourishes the intestinal lining and strengthens it.  My son has horrible food allergies.  He's allergic to eggs, gluten, all dairy (cow and goat), beef, turkey and pineapple.  It's very limiting.  Within a week of starting this stuff I inadvertantly got something mixed in his food (in a very small amount mind you) but he had a very minor reaction to it.  Previously, he would have been head to toe hives in 5 minutes.  He had one hive about an hour after he ate it.  That's a huge change.  He also physically felt so much better because stuff wasn't leaking through his intestines.  He was a new child.  He had had no energy for so long.  He wasn't acting "boy" if that makes sense.  Once the holes in his gut were starting to get plugged he felt so much better he starting being a "boy" again. 

Just for info. the ingredients in the Perma Clear are:

L-glutamine  1200mg
n-acetylglucosamine  1000mg
2 probiotic strains (really stinking long ones)
quercetin chalcone (a water soluable form of quercetin)
ginger root extract  40mg.

hth

patti

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2008, 04:30:21 AM »
I looked it up and found that the probiotics are Saccharomyces boulardii and Lactobacillus sporogenes. Saccharomyces boulardii is the same thing that's in Florastor, which I was reading about back when my dad was sick with an intestinal infection. The Florastor was too expensive, but I was able to find some Saccharomyces boulardii online for less than half the price. I still have it in the fridge. I wonder how much the other ingredients for Perma Clear would cost individually.

I'm especially interested in the N-Acetylglucosamine. I can find  Poly N-Acetylglucosamine which is a polymer made from N-Acetylglucosamine, but that just doesn't sound "right" to me. KWIM? Anyway, if I could find an inexpensive (or at lest much less expensive) source for the good stuff (LOL!) I'd like to get some of it. It sounds like something my whole family could benefit from.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2008, 06:59:06 AM »
from the product description for Thorne Research Perma Clear on one website:

SPECIAL NOTE: N-acetylglucosamine is sourced from crab chitin; therefore, those with an allergy to shellfish should avoid use of this product. This product is NOT yeast free.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2008, 07:05:47 AM »
Patti, are you giving your son the full dose of Perma Clear, 3 capsules three times a day?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2008, 02:51:31 PM »
Patti, are you giving your son the full dose of Perma Clear, 3 capsules three times a day?

No.  He is only 9 so I give him two caps a day.  My bottle says 4 caps is an adult dose. 

patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2008, 02:53:16 PM »
I looked it up and found that the probiotics are Saccharomyces boulardii and Lactobacillus sporogenes. Saccharomyces boulardii is the same thing that's in Florastor, which I was reading about back when my dad was sick with an intestinal infection. The Florastor was too expensive, but I was able to find some Saccharomyces boulardii online for less than half the price. I still have it in the fridge. I wonder how much the other ingredients for Perma Clear would cost individually.

I'm especially interested in the N-Acetylglucosamine. I can find  Poly N-Acetylglucosamine which is a polymer made from N-Acetylglucosamine, but that just doesn't sound "right" to me. KWIM? Anyway, if I could find an inexpensive (or at lest much less expensive) source for the good stuff (LOL!) I'd like to get some of it. It sounds like something my whole family could benefit from.

WR

WR, I think I paid $50 for my bottle of 180 capsules.  I can't imagine being able to find the ingredients themselves for cheaper and making your own caps. - unless you're thinking to just take capsules of each item.  That would probably be cheaper, but wow, what a lot of capsules!

patti

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2008, 04:50:41 PM »
Yeah, sadly, I couldn't afford it either way. I wonder what the price comparison would be like if the amount of each item in Perma Clear vs the amount you get by buying separately, was taken into account. Think of it as buying in bulk.  ;D

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2008, 09:52:07 AM »
Can babies be born with candida and leaky gut?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »
Can babies be born with candida and leaky gut?
Yes... at least as far as candida/yeast is concerned.  I've known a couple of women who took antibiotics while pregnant and then their babies had severe thrush and yeast issues immediately following birth. 
Most of them had to be VERY diligent in treating it, and it was very difficult for them.
WHile I haven't personally known any newborns with leaky gut, I would think that if they can have candida they could also have it too.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »
From my understanding, babies are born sterile with no bacteria or gut flora.  As soon as the mother holds the baby, Mom's friendly bacteria begins to colonize the babies skin.  Nursing colonizes the gut and gives the baby the correct enzymes to digest the milk.   As the baby grows, their bodies have to acquire the enzymes needed to break down other foods.

I have a theory that this is why native people pre-chew their foods...as the parent's saliva passes on the necessary enzymes to digest the foods.  (That, and they don't have a Cuisinart :))

I am very particular about anyone outside of our famliy handling the newborn baby for a while.  And I like to nurse skin to skin as soon after the baby is born as possible.  I also like to eat whatever I am feeding the baby as I introduce new foods to her. 

So an infant is totally dependent on Mom (mainly) to give them the good gut flora.  Baby's health is vitally connected to Mom, so if Mom has a problem with Candida, baby will too.  :(  The good news is that as Mom's health improves, baby's will too.  Get those probiotics going!

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2008, 06:37:21 PM »
It actually starts in the birth canal, I think. The baby's digestive system gets it's first inoculation with bacteria and/or yeast in the birth canal.

I'll add references tomorrow if I can.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2008, 04:37:22 AM »
It actually starts in the birth canal, I think. The baby's digestive system gets it's first inoculation with bacteria and/or yeast in the birth canal.

That would make since as to why my 8 year old, who was born via vaginal birth, is possibly displaying signs of candida and leaky gut and why my 5 year old who was born via section does not.

Now that I know about candida and leaky gut I now know that I have had them for many years. Even years before I had the kids.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2008, 04:53:38 AM »
Check out the GAPS Diet for healing leaky gut...

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,20533.msg200937.html#msg200937

I'm thinking about doing this for my mom, if she is willing to give it a try. Then I might do it for my kids, my dh, me individually. Since we might each move thru the different stages at a different pace, I'm thinking it would just be easier for me to just deal with one person at a time.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »

WR

bumpity-bump
WR

Sorry - I just saw this.  Perma Clear is a supplement that literally is intended to plug the holes in a person's gut while one treats the body.  As the gut heals it nourishes the intestinal lining and strengthens it.  My son has horrible food allergies.  He's allergic to eggs, gluten, all dairy (cow and goat), beef, turkey and pineapple.  It's very limiting.  Within a week of starting this stuff I inadvertantly got something mixed in his food (in a very small amount mind you) but he had a very minor reaction to it.  Previously, he would have been head to toe hives in 5 minutes.  He had one hive about an hour after he ate it.  That's a huge change.  He also physically felt so much better because stuff wasn't leaking through his intestines.  He was a new child.  He had had no energy for so long.  He wasn't acting "boy" if that makes sense.  Once the holes in his gut were starting to get plugged he felt so much better he starting being a "boy" again. 

Just for info. the ingredients in the Perma Clear are:

L-glutamine  1200mg
n-acetylglucosamine  1000mg
2 probiotic strains (really stinking long ones)
quercetin chalcone (a water soluable form of quercetin)
ginger root extract  40mg.

hth

patti

i am thinking of getting either this product or ReNew Life Intestinew.  Does anyone have any testimonials in addition to this one?  this Perma Clear is a lot more expensive from what i can tell.  it would also require a separate order, in addition to my Lucky Vitamin order.   can anyone help me decide if it is worth the extra money to go with the Perma Clear?  i already am taking 8 acidophilus bifidus daily and sometimes others.  i have better success in killing off my yeast with it, rather than Gr8dophilus or primal defense.  my other option was to just add the NOW brand of L-glutamine.  lots cheaper. 

i am also wondering if anyone has had success with switching probiotics every few days? 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:29:44 AM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
I added l.glutamine, aloe and cod liver oil to my probiotics and candida clear (yeast assassin).  I think you need the first 3 to heal the gut and the last to kill yeast and recolonize.
  My favorite herb book!!