Author Topic: Mono  (Read 8278 times)

kaira

Mono
« on: March 10, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »
Just wondering if anyone knows about mono.  A few questions I need answers on -

1.  How long is the incubation period for the virus?
2.  How contagious is it if you haven't had contact with bodily fluids?
3.  How long before you show symptoms if you are carrying it?

Thanks for all your wisdom, ladies! :)

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: Mono
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »
Hey Kaira...I had mono and asked a lot of questions about it, but I put them all in the Herpes thread because its a kind of herpes.  Anyway, there's some discussion about it and some articles and links are referenced answering some of your questions if  you start at this message:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5007.msg50197.html#msg50197

Maybe someone supremely cool like  8) HB 8) could grab all the mono info and put it in this thread.  ( ;D hee hee)
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

kaira

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
Hey Kaira...I had mono and asked a lot of questions about it, but I put them all in the Herpes thread because its a kind of herpes.  Anyway, there's some discussion about it and some articles and links are referenced answering some of your questions if  you start at this message:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5007.msg50197.html#msg50197

Maybe someone supremely cool like  8) HB 8) could grab all the mono info and put it in this thread.  ( ;D hee hee)

Yes, she is cool - and so helpful.  I think that would be great.  I searched mono but I couldn't find a mono thread.  I am always a little hesitant to start a thread because I know HB doesn't like combining them when we do stupid things like not finding the proper thread to begin with - I hope this passes her "inspection".  So, that is interesting, I didn't know mono was really herpes.  Thanks, I will look for more info.  The issue is that my friends nieces were exposed to mono last week but they don't seem sick.  She has a newborn and is wondering about having them over if they could be carriers.  They host a small group on Sunday evenings and all the kids share a sitter at her house.   

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »
The issue is that my friends nieces were exposed to mono last week but they don't seem sick.  She has a newborn and is wondering about having them over if they could be carriers.  They host a small group on Sunday evenings and all the kids share a sitter at her house.   

Yeah...according to the info I found, it's best if you're exposed when young because likelihood is that you will show little or no symptoms, but you will still be "immune" to it later in life. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:47 AM »
Bump.

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »
You might check these two threads.  One is on epstein-bar virus, which is the "mono" virus.  The other is on children with mono.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2111.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15687.0.html

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
You might check these two threads.  One is on epstein-bar virus, which is the "mono" virus.  The other is on children with mono.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2111.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15687.0.html
Thanks for the links. The search engine and I were experiencing technical difficulties at the time.  ;)

So, I'm researching this for a relative who currently has both MRSA and mono. She has lost fifteen or so pounds (was underweight to begin with) and is now in the hospital receiving fluids. Besides Oreganol and garlic, what else ought she be doing to combat the bacteria and the virus? This is so different from anything else I've ever treated, I'm not quite sure where to start.  ???

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »
Another thing - how do you know which virus caused a particular case of mono? According to this, mono is typically caused by EBV or cytomegalovirus. Will the tests say which virus is causing the mono? And should a treatment plan vary if it caused by cytomegalovirus instead of EBV?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 07:42:18 AM »
Why is it that for many who have had MONO that later on in life they have trouble with chronic fatigue? ???

I had it in the 6Th grade. I was sick with the worse part of it for 2 weeks but it took 2 months before I could even participate in gym class at school due to the weakness.

I remember the doctor telling me that I would most likely forever have trouble with weakness and fatigue because of having  had MONO. I was to young to care much at the time and kind of  forgot about it.

I am now the chronically  weak chronically fatigued person.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Why is it that for many who have had MONO that later on in life they have trouble with chronic fatigue? ???

I had it in the 6Th grade. I was sick with the worse part of it for 2 weeks but it took 2 months before I could even participate in gym class at school due to the weakness.

I remember the doctor telling me that I would most likely forever have trouble with weakness and fatigue because of having  had MONO. I was to young to care much at the time and kind of  forgot about it.

I am now the chronically  weak chronically fatigued person.

It is due to mono being caused by the Epstein-Barr virus...  it never goes away and you always carry the virus in your body.  I used to deal with chronic fatigue-type stuff until I got myself on track...
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2111.msg202180.html#msg202180

Offline bzymom

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »
My 13 yo is dealing with some apparent mono related illnesses.  I just read as much as I could find on here about mono.  Just wanted to clarify to make sure I have the info correct and see if anyone has anything else to add?
Once infected with the virus (EBV) you can have recurring symptoms for.....indefinitely? I need to boost his immune system and make sure he gets plenty of fluid and rest.
Anything else? 
Thanks!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »
I think my 14 year old might have mono.  How long is a person contagious and actively shedding the virus?  Also, do you ever have mucous with mono?  Like coughing, runny nose,  and fever etc?  or is it really just sore thoat, swollen glands, and in bed unable to get up due to weakness.  If she is still sick on Monday (day 5 of being in bed ALL day) then I'll probably take her in to see if the Dr. can get a diagnosis.

Jammie
Mrs. P