Author Topic: Allergic to Coconut & Coconut Products: Alternatives & Suggestions  (Read 16109 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Hello, HB,

I'm a newbie here, so I thought I would ask you before I posted.

I searched for "coconut oil allergy" but couldn't fine any answers. I would like to know if anyone else has had allergic reactions to coconut oil. I put some on my hands last night and when I woke up the next time, they were broken out all over(palms included) with little blisters that made my hands feel like they were on fire. I am prone to eczema.

Something else I wonder about is this: If someone has a "contact allergy" (allergic when they touch a certain substance), should they also not eat that substance. For example, I cannot touch fresh tomatoes without my skin erupting, should I be avoiding eating them too? And now should I not ingest coconut oil?

Has it been shown that if a person is allergic to one "tropical" fruit that he may be allergic to others as well? I am allergic to pineapple. Now coconut? Recently when I mentioned to someone that I was allergic to latex, they said I should not eat kiwi fruit. I'm missing the connection there.

Anyway, that turned out longer than I meant it to be initially. Would you please point me in the right direction(s)?

thank you,
mrs_zog

My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Allergic to Coconut & Coconut Products: Alternatives & Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 08:08:12 AM »
I'm not personally aware of any known allergies to coconut, but I'm wondering if you have candida issues?  Could you be experiencing a die-off reaction?

Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 05:22:17 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:05:21 AM »
Let's try not to hijack another topic when you have a new topic.  This tends to distract from the original question and makes searching for both topics in the future more difficult.

The allergy to citric acid topic has been moved here. 

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6944.0.html

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 05:19:51 AM »
I know this isn't really an allergic reaction, but every time I put coconut oil in my oatmeal I get an immediate stomach ache.  Like pain right in my stomach.  If I only use about 1/2 tsp. it's not so bad.  But I seem to do okay with frying food in it.  Weird, huh.  ??? :-\

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:56:43 AM »
Hmmmm, I've had that stomach ache too. I was wondering if it was from the coconut oil. :-\ It feels like I'm gonna have diarrhea but never do.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:14:52 AM »
Mines like a stabbing pain in my gut as soon as the oatmeal gets there.  I thought maybe it was the oatmeal, so I tried it without the coconut oil and no stomach ache.  So it must be the oil.  Maybe it doesn't bother me when I fry stuff in it b/c there's less?  Hmmm, weird that it would cause these reactions for people.  ???

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

YoopreMama

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:30:01 AM »
Coconut allergy/intolerance is on the rise, according to the links below/above (depending on your format ;)) by herbfever. I think it's due to so many coconut-derived products (cleansers)...it's used an awful lot.  Even Ben & Jerry's/Edy's ice cream has it in my favorite flavors. 

Offline Lauralee

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 01:32:44 AM »
A friend of mine just had her daughter tested again for allergies. She is allergic to all nuts and coconut. She was just about to buy coconut oil. What are her alternatives?

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 05:18:35 AM »
A friend of mine just had her daughter tested again for allergies. She is allergic to all nuts and coconut. She was just about to buy coconut oil. What are her alternatives?

My 2 yr old is allergic to CO but it appears to be only topically, I put it on his bottom a couple times when he was in diapers and he would get a hot. red, painful rash.  He doesn't seem to be bothered by eating it at all.  Is this how your friend's daughter is or is she also allergic to eating it?  Have you heard of Red Palm Oil?  I have tried it when we were first trying CO.  It's supposed to be very good for you and a lot of people seem to like it, I did not.  Might be worth a try.  We use a lot of Grape Seed Oil.  It works in everything but I don't think it has the same health benefits as coconut oil or Red palm oil.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »
Question:

Why would a person be allergic to sodium cocoate and not coconut oil?  Any thoughts?  I realize they are not the same thing, but sodium cocoate is just saponified coconut oil.  Is this truly an allergy or is there some toxic chemical reaction going on when you make soap from coconut oil?

NOTE:  I'm not talking dry skin.  More like raised bumps/rash.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 01:55:10 AM »
It could be that you're reacting to the Ph, since your skin is pretty sensative anyway.  Does this happen with all coconut based soaps?  It may also be that the base being used (the alkaline substance that causes the coconut triglyceride to break apart into soap) is a factor.

Soap is produced by the saponification (hydrolysis) of a triglyceride (fat or oil). (See Figure 1.) In this process the triglyceride is reacted with a strong base such as sodium or potassium hydroxide to produce glycerol and fatty acid salts. The salt of the fatty acid is called a soap.
http://www.chem.latech.edu/~deddy/chem122m/L06U00Soap122.htm

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 03:40:38 AM »
It could be that you're reacting to the Ph, since your skin is pretty sensative anyway.  Does this happen with all coconut based soaps?  It may also be that the base being used (the alkaline substance that causes the coconut triglyceride to break apart into soap) is a factor.

Soap is produced by the saponification (hydrolysis) of a triglyceride (fat or oil). (See Figure 1.) In this process the triglyceride is reacted with a strong base such as sodium or potassium hydroxide to produce glycerol and fatty acid salts. The salt of the fatty acid is called a soap.
http://www.chem.latech.edu/~deddy/chem122m/L06U00Soap122.htm

Now there is something I hadn't thought of.  hmmmmm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gollywoggle

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

A vital element that is not clear in the discussion is which type of Coconut oil is being talked about .
Coconut oil made from Copra , the dried flesh of old coconuts that are processed using heat and Hydrochloric acid , produce a very low quality or even toxic oil . This is the oil that was tested years ago to produce the findings that Coconut oil was high in saturated fats and was bad for health .

Quite different from this is the recent research  results from testing cold pressed fresh Virgin Coconut oil which produced the opposite results. Coconut oil is now recognized as being
of high nutrient value and beneficial for health . This oil must be processed without heat or chemicals and be made from fresh living mature coconuts.

With this in mind it might be that the allergic reactions are caused by the Copra products , which are altered by chemicals and also full of a variety of  mold contaminants that have accumulated on the flesh during  time it is being dried and stored and handled before processing .   ???

Check your source to  see if this is the problem . A suggestion about maintaining the quality of a precious virgin vegetable oil is don't waste it  on cooking especially with high temperature or it will downgrade and loose its health giving properties. ;D