† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Nourishing Traditions  (Read 140428 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Nourishing Traditions
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2006, 08:36:11 PM »
Hope that helps!  ;D

Yup, thanks.  It would probably be a waste of my money right now.  Don't have any way to get raw milk and my yogurt doesn't do as well as raw milk without adding gelatin, so I'll just have to figure something else out.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 03:52:05 AM »
I saw this book for sale this morning for $17.00 postage paid. I did notice she will not take checks, you can email her to find out what you can organize with her. I have bought books from her and she is really a great seller. She offers a wide variety of homeschool books too. You could email her for her list. This was listed on the homeschl used books (yahoo group).

bibliolater23@yahoo.com

Please let us know if you are the one to purchase it so we don't over-load this woman with inquiries
SAndra
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:43:45 AM by healthybratt »
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 04:25:41 AM »
I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THIS POST!!!  This is one of my absolute most FAVORITE books!  HB, the information alone is worth the $$$, even if you never use a recipe.  I have a difficult time getting raw milk, it is here just not easy to come by.  I use pasteurized milk that I have cultured with kefir grains in all the recipes.  I have had this book for almost a year and there is just so much information!  I get it down and read it at night like KayinPa, and also during the afternoon when everyone is busy doing something else.  It feels so awesome to go to bed with oatmeal soaking, kefir culturing, beans cooking in the crockpot that have soaked all day, kombucha fermenting, punch in the fridge, and rootbeer brewing!!!

This book has also helped me to see the importance of eating the different foods how God intended.  I used sunflower oil for years thinking I was doing my family a favor only to find out I was contributing to the problems! 

When I first got the book in the mail from half.com, I WAS OVERWHELMED with all the changes I needed to make.  We live in Brasil as most of you know, and eat beans every day.  We were cooking them in the pressure cooker, straight from the bag with only a rinse!  Now we buy the fresh beans from the Farmer's market, soak them all day or night, and then do them in the crockpot overnight two pounds at a time and freeze four family sized containers to season for later meals.  My kids really like two bean chili, which is just pinto and black beans in the same pot. 

And that was just ONE thing I was doing wrong!  If you can check it out at the library, do so.  But like I told my SIL, there is just so much information you really need to buy it!  And it is SO interesting to read all the facts and cultural tidbits (to me it was anyway!)

I need to go and READ some more!
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 05:03:20 AM »
Oh I LOVE this book, it's sooo interesting. Totally different perspective on so many things I never thought of before. Makes me happy, I don't have to eat alfalfa sprouts and tofu and no meat and skim milk to be healthy. Haha. And her recipes for chicken and beef stock are so yummy, I cook with them ALL the time, they're my secret ingredient.  :D My cousins actually got to hear Sally Fallon speak at a convention, I'd love to hear her speak. Her book has been an awesome blessing, just the wisdom and the mindset -very refreshing!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 07:45:18 AM »
HB, the information alone is worth the $$$, even if you never use a recipe. 
Just when I had talked myself into buying it, my budget was cut drastically.  I'll have to wait a bit longer, it seems. :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 10:10:50 AM »
I saw this book for sale this morning for $17.00 postage paid. I did notice she will not take checks, you can email her to find out what you can organize with her. I have bought books from her and she is really a great seller. She offers a wide variety of homeschool books too. You could email her for her list. This was listed on the homeschl used books (yahoo group).

bibliolater23@yahoo.com

Please let us know if you are the one to purchase it so we don't over-load this woman with inquiries
SAndra

I just saw her update her for sale post today....now it is 15.00 postage included.

bibliolater23@yahoo.com
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 03:12:33 PM »
Would all the NT fans like to list the dishes that they made from the book that DIDN'T turn out.  I have made quite a few that I like, but some did not turn out well at all, and I wasted a lot of money and energy.  Anyone have some pics that didn't turn out right?

Nickole

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 04:05:21 PM »
My mouth waters as I look through my book at highlighted resipes I have tried b/c most have surprisingly turned out to now be my favorites.  In an earlier thread I wrote about the GINGER CARROTS though:

Yes, we made the gingered/pickled carrots which the book says is a good introduction food to lacto-fermented vegetables.  We all like just about anything, eat all kinds of weird foods but this was so gross even I who hate to waste things, had to throw it away.  After all that work.     The texture reminded me of what grass half-chewed by a cow would feel like in the mouth.  Very slimy, just seemed like a bunch of spit with veggies mixed in.  It truly made us all gag.  I could not believe how gross it was.  If anyone had a better experience I would like to know.  I can't imagine what I may have done wrong.  Needless to say, I haven't tried pickling anything else yet (except saurkraut which is great).

The only other thing after looking through this immense book just now is the KISHK - it was great but NOT dried.  I didn't have enough room to dry all of it in our oven so I dried half and then tried to use it as cereal - in a bowl with milk poured over but it was HARD.  You can't eat it like that!  SO I got the other bowl of not-yet-dried kishk in the fridge (it was just soaked) and put that in a bowl and poured milk over it and MMMMMMMMM GOOOOOOD!  We loved it.  I have no idea why it even says to dry it, at least for cereal.  So I would personally ammend that recipe if you want to eat it as cereal.  The dried KISHK we used to make the KISHK soup which was fine b/c it softens again. 

No highlighting (yet?) in the organ meats chapter  :P

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2006, 04:18:39 PM »
My mouth waters as I look through my book at highlighted resipes I have tried b/c most have surprisingly turned out to now be my favorites.  In an earlier thread I wrote about the GINGER CARROTS though:

Yes, we made the gingered/pickled carrots which the book says is a good introduction food to lacto-fermented vegetables.  We all like just about anything, eat all kinds of weird foods but this was so gross even I who hate to waste things, had to throw it away.  After all that work.     The texture reminded me of what grass half-chewed by a cow would feel like in the mouth.  Very slimy, just seemed like a bunch of spit with veggies mixed in.  It truly made us all gag.  I could not believe how gross it was.  If anyone had a better experience I would like to know.  I can't imagine what I may have done wrong. 

I made the ginger carrots last fall and they turned out great! I'm not sure what happened with yours. Mine weren't slimy at all, and if you like ginger, these were very good. If you don't like ginger, then these would be too strong in flavor. After reading more this summer on the benefits of ginger, I will probably make some more soon.

I've made several other recipes from the book, and the only one that I didn't like was the mayonnaise. But it was probably just me. I changed a few things around in the recipe, and I think that's why it didn't turn out quite right.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2006, 01:43:52 AM »
Thanks, ladies.  I will keep those two in mind. 
I have pickled the carrots and ginger, just carrots, cucumbers, and sauerkraut.  Only the first one turned out okay.  It was made with just salt.  Was yours salt or with the whey?  Anything that I made with the whey turned out horrible.  But I also made it during our heat spell and it got up to 90 degrees in my house, so I am thinking maybe the heat had something to do with it. 
I made the baked beans(soaked them for a long time with whey) and I couldn't believe how HORRIBLE they turned out.  I thought it wouldn't work out, because it said to cook them for like 6 hours!!  My cast iron dutch oven started to burn from what little sauce it had  after two hours.  I will never make them again.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2006, 02:14:12 AM »
Oh no, I have the carrots in my fridge and now I am afraid to try them!  I made them with the salt not the whey, because at the time my whey was not ready yet.

I soaked split peas in whey and water successfully last time and found that they were very tasty when I made them into a soup.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Eileen

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2006, 11:00:55 AM »
This is the first time I've been on Well Tell Me.  I read about it in No Greater Joy magazine.  So haven't figured out how to use it yet and hoping this works.  I was looking for the link to keifer that was refereed to in the magazine.   www.users.sa.chariot.net.au/-dna/Makekefir.html .  I didn't have any luck finding it.  I though some of you might know the site. 

When I read about Sally Fallon's book, which I had on my 'want' list a year or so ago but never got around to buying.  I was excited.  I didn't catch where it was that I could order it from.  Can you help me out?

Eileen

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »
Hi Eileen¬  :)

I think for the link, you used a - instead of a ~ before dna... try this--it's a great site!

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html

Also this forum has a lot of good stuff about kefir. Try these two and use the search option to find more.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1665.0.html
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1786.0.html

You can search through the previous posts in this post Nourshing Traditions to find where to buy the book. I know that it is available on amazon.com. You might also look on ebay.com and half.com.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 04:00:03 PM by jessyru »
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2006, 04:05:26 PM »
This is the first time I've been on Well Tell Me.¬  I read about it in No Greater Joy magazine.¬  So haven't figured out how to use it yet and hoping this works.¬  I was looking for the link to keifer that was refereed to in the magazine.¬  ¬ www.users.sa.chariot.net.au/-dna/Makekefir.html .¬  I didn't have any luck finding it.¬  I though some of you might know the site.¬ 

When I read about Sally Fallon's book, which I had on my 'want' list a year or so ago but never got around to buying.¬  I was excited.¬  I didn't catch where it was that I could order it from.¬  Can you help me out?

Eileen

And, in case you don't know where the "~" is on the keyboard (I remember not knowing where it was once, when I'd never used it before) it's usually located on the far left of the keyboard, over the tab key, and you press shift first before pressing the button. Hope that's helpful if you've never used it before.

Nickole

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 09:47:09 AM »
Thanks, ladies.  I will keep those two in mind. 
I have pickled the carrots and ginger, just carrots, cucumbers, and sauerkraut.  Only the first one turned out okay.  It was made with just salt.  Was yours salt or with the whey?  Anything that I made with the whey turned out horrible.  But I also made it during our heat spell and it got up to 90 degrees in my house, so I am thinking maybe the heat had something to do with it. 

Oooooo - I just saw this.  I made it with the whey, but I see you can sustitute more salt instead so I will try that next time.  I just hate to waste food and have it not turn out again!  I do love ginger, but it was the slime that was gagging.  Like it was full of spit.   :P

Offline Eileen

• Learning
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »
Hi Eileen  :)

I think for the link, you used a - instead of a ~ before dna... try this--it's a great site!

You are right, I used the wrong symbol for ~. With this correct I found the link.  What a wealth of info.  I have never used kefir grains before.  I use a smooth powder from Body Ecology so I have lots of reading to do. 

Thanks,
Eileen
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:07:43 PM by healthybratt »

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 02:54:27 PM »

bibliolater23@yahoo.com

SAndra

I just saw her update her for sale post today....now it is 15.00 postage included.

bibliolater23@yahoo.com

You might check here she could still have it ??

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2006, 08:55:33 PM »
Quote from: jessyru on September 04, 2006, 05:11:40 PM
Hi Eileen 

You are right, I used the wrong symbol for ~. With this correct I found the link.  What a wealth of info.  I have never used kefir grains before.  I use a smooth powder from Body Ecology so I have lots of reading to do. 

Thanks,
Eileen

Kefir took a bit of time for me to perfect. The first batch of grains I got was ruined in shipping, but I just got a new batch and it's so fun!  Dom's site (as well as this one) played a big role in helping me figure out what was going wrong. Happy Kefiring!!  ;D

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2006, 03:53:27 AM »
Thanks, ladies. I will keep those two in mind.
I have pickled the carrots and ginger, just carrots, cucumbers, and sauerkraut. Only the first one turned out okay. It was made with just salt. Was yours salt or with the whey? Anything that I made with the whey turned out horrible. But I also made it during our heat spell and it got up to 90 degrees in my house, so I am thinking maybe the heat had something to do with it.
I made the baked beans(soaked them for a long time with whey) and I couldn't believe how HORRIBLE they turned out. I thought it wouldn't work out, because it said to cook them for like 6 hours!! My cast iron dutch oven started to burn from what little sauce it had after two hours. I will never make them again.

Sorry, Healthy, I only just now read this since it has been "bumped" the last couple of days. I used all whey with mine, and I made them in November, so maybe temperature was a factor, I'm not sure. I used whey left over from making cheese. It seems there are a number of ways to get whey. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have had sauerkraut go bad before - just one jar - the rest of the batch was fine! I think it had to do with how much "headroom" I had left at the top of the kraut under the lid.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2006, 09:23:44 AM »
That's okay.  I put off making the carrots for awhile until it has cooled down.  I am going to make them tonight, but am still debating whether to use the whey or the salt.  I use whey that I let drip from yogurt.  The first time was from goat's whey, but this time from cow's whey, so I don't know if the kind of whey makes a consistency difference or not. 
I will see how they turn out this time.

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »
Just made another batch of ginger carrots this afternoon. I have two quart jars sitting on my counter, ready to ferment away!  ;D I hope they turn out good! I'll let you all know. I used whey from some homemade cream cheese (recipe from NT). One thing about these ginger carrots - they look great sitting on the counter top! You could just make them and leave them there for decorative effect if they go bad! haha. Just kidding.  :P

Nickole

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2006, 12:07:44 PM »
Just made another batch of ginger carrots this afternoon. I have two quart jars sitting on my counter, ready to ferment away!  ;D I hope they turn out good! I'll let you all know. I used whey from some homemade cream cheese (recipe from NT). One thing about these ginger carrots - they look great sitting on the counter top! You could just make them and leave them there for decorative effect if they go bad! haha. Just kidding.  :P

Maybe I'll try making them again then - at least they won't go to TOTAL waste if they're bad... ;D  Thanks for the idea  ;)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2006, 03:08:54 PM »
I made my batch of carrots(without ginger and with the salt) three days ago, and ate them today.  They were perfect.  So, it was either the whey or the high heat that messed them up the last time.  I am figuring the heat was it.  I should make another batch with the whey just to confirm, though.  I made them without the ginger for it was too spicy for my four year old, but he loves things that taste like a salt lick, too. ;)

Elbereth

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2006, 06:38:47 PM »
Could someone post the recipe for small beer?  Hubby wants it and my copy of Nourishing Traditions is an hour away...I loaned it out and I am missing it!  I would really appreciate it.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2006, 02:56:55 AM »
Yeah, my carrots were really tasty, EXCEPT for the fact that they were WAY too salty ( I didn't use whey)  I will have to try the whey recipe this next time.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Mom in Mo

• Learning
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2006, 09:42:55 AM »
I've tried the sourdough recipe...it was WAY too sour and hard for my family's tastes right now!   I can't do too much experimenting resulting in failures, as much as I like to experiment...it's gettting too expensive!  :)

Heather

Does your sourdough recipe use baking soda in it?  Baking soda "sweetens"  the sourdough.  You add the baking soda to water and then to the dough after it has risen the first time.  My sister doesn't use soda and her bread is more sour and we use the same starter.

Nickole

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2006, 10:17:26 AM »
I've tried the sourdough recipe...it was WAY too sour and hard for my family's tastes right now!   
Heather

I have been making this bread like crazy since I began grinding my own wheat - I have heard that the more time you let it rise, the more sour it gets, so maybe you can try not letting it rise as long...?  It is sour, but we love it.  :)

Offline Clementine

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2006, 04:49:30 PM »
I just got my copy in the mail today.  I was worried after reading this thread about all the pickling and raw milk and all.  What a pleasant surprise!  :) I haven't gotten very far reading, just a long skim so far.  But it really is a blessing and I recommend it to anyone because it is full of valuable info. I will probably start with making some of the stocks, but also want to try the cream cheese, and many others.  I can't see myself or my family eating any raw meat or fish though.   :o
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2006, 04:43:16 AM »
I can't see eating raw meat either. It grosses me out when my husband eats organ meats cooked! Guess I'm just a city slicker after all.   ;)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2006, 05:56:16 AM »
I can't see eating raw meat either. It grosses me out when my husband eats organ meats cooked! Guess I'm just a city slicker after all.   ;)

Yuck.  My MIL butchers her own cows and she never wastes anything.  Anyone for boiled lungs?  :P
  My favorite herb book!!