Author Topic: Support For Going Sugar Free  (Read 18778 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Support For Going Sugar Free
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »
Oh, evaporated cane juice IS sugar, for sure.  Replacing processed white sugar with raw honey and ECJ last year has been the first move that I've made, and at least they have some mineral content. ;)  Baby steps.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

YoopreMama

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »
Yep...still tired.  Mildly crabby, but not as bad as I thought.  Some sugar in things I'm eating in small amounts, but not white/brown sugar, so some improvement.  Been off HFCS for awhile.  Eating lots of protein.  I really don't crave anything right now.  Thanks for the support!   :-*

Hey Yoop, you will be tired for about three days.  You might be er....grumpy too.  Just a warning.  Then you'll start feeling better.  After three days, the really bad cravings go away and you do not obsess about all the things you cannot eat.  Do not give in at this point!!!!!!!  After a week, you might still wish you could have dessert if someone else is eating it, but you don't really crave it.  That will happen for about 2-3 weeks.  Then you just don't want it anymore.  Someone can eat the most awesome looking dessert in your presence, and you have NO desire to eat it.
Reading up on sugar alcohols after being fooled by a treat that said no sugar added.  :P

Haven't tried the Stevita powder in milk yet (like Nestle's Quik)...and have liquid chocolate Stevia coming next month.  Had a little Kombucha today and Kefir.  Not sure on those.

ETA:  I passed up *every* piece of chocolate candy that stared at me while at my Mom's Sunday.   ;D  Next week I'll continue to drop foods w/ the "better" sweeteners in them.

Anyone use xylitol?  Is it a good sub for things that need some sweetener?  We have a birthday party coming up... :-\
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:11:03 AM by Yooper »

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 09:33:38 AM »
We have used xylitol a little. Did you know it's made from birch trees? Robert doesn't want me to use it though because it is no longer in it's whole form, and has been processed quite a bit. I really like it though, especially on top of pancakes.  :D

YoopreMama

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 09:41:30 AM »
I did know that...and that the Finns are credited w/ 1st deriving it from birch trees.  8)  

Read the thread on it...interesting stuff!

http://www.emeraldforestxylitol.com/guide_xylitol.htm
http://www.emeraldforestxylitol.com/guide_FAQ.htm
http://www.emeraldforestxylitol.com/recipe_bestb.htm ?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:00:54 AM by Yooper »

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 06:02:42 AM »
I received the book, suicide by sugar, and also the chocolate stevia yesterday.  That stevia is great!  the kids love it.  I've been looking so long for something healthy for chocolate milk for them.  i'm still limiting them to 1 to 2 glasses of that a day, but they really like it. 

I like the book, but was disappointed from the lack of recipes in there.  Only a few.  I'm half way thru, so I will probably finish it later tonight. 

I would love to go cold turkey, but sometimes you have to eat what you have.   ;)  But, I haven't had only maple syrup in oatmeal this morning, and a small drink of that milk!  That really helped with my sweet tooth. 

Small steps right? ;D

Wendy

YoopreMama

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 06:32:48 AM »
Hi, Wendy!

I realize that when I thought of going "sugar free" at first, I thought of dropping all the extra things w/ sugar...honey in tea, candy, ice cream, etc. and still allowing for the small bits of "good" sugar in things like PB or a healthier cold cereal.  That's what I'm doing, at least, this past week.

I like the Stevita in the milk.  Doesn't take much.  I did read that Stevia can still influence carb cravings and I think I'm finding that to be true.

My liquid choc. stevia will arrive in a couple weeks.

The xylitol site listed previously has recipes w/ xylitol   I made their brownies and they were very good.  I want to try salad dressing and ketchup w/ it.

Suicide by Sugar is on its way.  Sugar Blues is good...very interesting history of sugar trade.

Small steps indeed.  I like the Zero waters for something sweet b/w meals.

I've dropped prob. 2 pounds and some wiggle in my middle.   :D

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
Today I ate sugar.  It was 2 days early, but it was my dd's b'day party (early).  We had an Anne of Green Gables biirthday party.  This was my one time of eating sugar for the month.    I have to confess out of everything that we ate, the cucumber sandwiches were my favorite.  I could eat my weight in cucumber sandwiches.  The sugar stuff wasn't all that great, except for the strawberry cake, which my SIL made, and wad was divine.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

YoopreMama

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:43 PM »
Mmmm...we have birthday here tomorrow.  I am making those brownies w/ a cream cheese frosting (both sweetened w/ xylitol), and there's strawberry ice cream for some.  :) 

Some of the Zero waters taste like fruit punch, so that's the drink of choice.

Eating lots of protein.  Today was a little hard...wanted sweets.  Haven't had honey or white/brown sugar or maple syrup in over a week.  Just some EVJ in a couple things here and there.

Eze. 4:9's cinn. raisin bread doesn't have sugar in it.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 01:41:21 AM »
Interesting thread girls, after a study on sugar alcohols I don't encourage the use of Xylitol, but I still say it's better than white/brown sugar.
I can honestly say that since we got back from our trip I've only had sweets in a few things & those were most;y a few pieces of chocolate. ;)
I've quit using sweetener in my tea, except for special treats, but the things that get me is the hidden sweets like in store bought yogurt, etc..
I'm glad to be back to where I can make Kefir again & not rely on store bought, we found it to easy to buy (less healthy) when a Whole Foods store was in reach, there was premade ...,  GF..., & organic ... :)   
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

YoopreMama

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2010, 12:49:16 PM »
Can you tell us, "in a nutshell", your take on sugar alcohols, pretty please (w/ SOMEthing on top).  ;)  We're using them sparingly as we transition.

I made Lara Bars today (dates/pecans/almond extract)--they were too sweet.  My taste buds, they are a changin'.  8)

I am rather grumpy, though.  :P

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 08:54:29 AM »
I had sugar last thursday.  My dd had an Anne of Green Gables birthday party.  She , her sister, and I all made Anne of GG foods, had all of her girl cousins come over in their "fancy best" and eat off of the nice china and have tea with us.  We even had raspberry cordial.  Almost everything had way less sugar than we put in things today (interesting), and almost all of it was waaaay too sweet.  Interesting.  I'm back to no sugar again for 3 more weeks.  It's quite easy to not eat sugar when it doesn't taste good.

My favorite things were the cucumber sandwiches.    I think I could eat my weight in those.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

YoopreMama

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 09:19:21 AM »
It's so helpful to hear how this plays out in people's lives.  :)

I ate at church potluck easily last night w/o sugar.  Someone made egg-free, sugar-free, milk-free chocolate Wacky Cake.  Suspect white flour in it, but I had some.

Do you eat lots of protein, Floydian?  I've been hearing how that cuts sugar cravings and it sure works here.

Rikki suggested "Potatoes for Prozac" as a good read, too, and that supports the protein hypothesis.

Made great wild rice/split pea soup today.  Getting lots of protein ideas from pals.   :-*

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
Can you tell us, "in a nutshell", your take on sugar alcohols, pretty please (w/ SOMEthing on top).  ;)  We're using them sparingly as we transition.

I made Lara Bars today (dates/pecans/almond extract)--they were too sweet.  My taste buds, they are a changin'.  8)

I am rather grumpy, though.  :P

I know you weren't asking me, yoop, but I thought I'd throw this in there. 

In my 10 (wow!) years of living with type 1 diabetes, I've tried about every sugar substitute there is - natural and chemical   ::) 

I've consistently found that all sugar alcohols make me irritable and they make me want more sugar.  The only thing that doesn't do this is the stevia (liquid).

When I'm using fake sugars of any sort, they still seem to feed this whole thing where I then spend the rest of my day trying to come up with some kind of treat to make.  It's irritating that I become VERY focused on eating something "treaty".   

Anyway, just wanted to throw that in there FWIW.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 12:55:25 PM »
My brother, a diabetic cooked one night for our family when we were staying at my moms for my nieces' wedding, Mom also is a diabetic so he bought a 'sugar free honey' to use. It tasted great but shortly after it hit rock bottom for three of my kids & myself, we were up all night with tummy troubles!
After reading the ingredients and finding the main ingredient to be maltitol I researched it.
OK, so my opinion on sugar alcohols based on that research... I'll copy parts of the best explanation I've found Then give the links.

Sugar alcohols are carbohydrates which are also called "polyols". Part of their chemical structure resembles sugar, and part of it resembles alcohol -- hence the confusing name. Examples of common sugar alcohols are maltitol, sorbitol, isomalt, and xylitol.
It's important to note, however, that the different types of sugar alcohols act very differently in the body.
Though the word "alcohol" is part of their name, they cannot get you drunk. But because they are not completely absorbed, they can ferment in the intestines and cause bloating, gas, or diarrhea. People can have different reactions to different sugar alcohols.
Though sugar alcohols have fewer calories than sugar, most of them aren't as sweet, so more must be used to get the same sweetening effect. A good example is maltitol, which has 75% of the blood sugar impact of sugar, but also only 75% of the sweetness. So they end up being equal in that regard. Still, there is a range of sweetness and impact on blood sugar among the sugar alcohols.
Comparison of Sugar and Sugar Alcohols
Ingredient    Sweetness    GI    Cal/g
Sucrose(sugar)    100%    60    4
Maltitol Syrup    75%    52    3
Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate    33%    39    2.8
Maltitol    75%    36    2.7
Xylitol    100%    13    2.5
Isomalt    55%    9    2.1
Sorbitol    60%    9    2.5
Lactitol    35%    6    2
Mannitol    60%    0    1.5
Erythritol    70%    0    0.2
More About Sugar Alcohols
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/sugaralcohols.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/maltitol.htm
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 02:11:54 AM »
Does anyone know of any good sugar free cookbooks?  Or websites with recipes?  It seems like anytime I look for recipes it seems it has the "fake" stuff,( equal, or whatever those brands are called.)

wendy

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
Does anyone know of any good sugar free cookbooks?  Or websites with recipes?  It seems like anytime I look for recipes it seems it has the "fake" stuff,( equal, or whatever those brands are called.)

wendy
I'm guessing you mean recipes for sweets and sauces?  I thought there was a thread for sugar free recipes, but I can't find it at the moment. Anyone?

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 07:39:14 AM »
You might try looking for the thread on stevia recipes.  I have one stevia cookbook, purchased a few years ago, and it was not very helpful.  I have had better luck altering existing recipes.  I just tried making peanut butter cups last night and I'm pleased with the results, so I'll post the recipe here once I tweak it just a little (the chocolate was too soft and didn't set up as hard as I wanted).  The only sugar in it came from some graham cracker crumbs that I used to stiffen up the natural peanut butter.  So, not entirely sugar free, but close.  The chocolate part was completely sugar free, and if I can get it to set up could be used in multiple ways or even just by itself.  Also, maybe puffed rice processed to crumbs could be used instead of graham crackers which would get rid of that sugar.  I'll post again soon!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »
The foods I have the most trouble with is  breads, rolls, etc.  And of course the mayo, miracle whip.  I always use the artisan breads book, where you refrigerate the bread dough.  I usually use the light wheat dough.  But, I'm just not that good at making sandwich bread, or it only lasts a few days...I did manage to find some pita bread, and some wheat tortillas, one of them had honey( can't remember which one).  My tortillas are usually way too thick if I make them. :P  Maybe a tortilla press would help.

I did finally get an attachment for my kitchen aid for an ice cream mixer, we made ice cream over the weekend, simple vanilla with maple syrup instead of sugar.  It was really good, really sweet, probably could of used much less syrup.

wendy

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 09:38:39 AM »
My tortillas are usually way too thick if I make them. :P  Maybe a tortilla press would help.

wendy

This doesn't have anything to do with sugar free, but I wanted to discourage the tortilla press idea from my experience.  At least the cast iron manual press kind.  I tried it.  It took way too much time, the tortillas stuck in the press (although I found out later that it helps to line it with plastic wrap), and they seemed just as thick to me as when I made them.  I took mine back.  Maybe you could get the commercial kind that you throw a ball of dough in and it comes out the other side like a perfect tortilla . . .   :o :o ;D  I would do it if I could find one someone would give away!  :D  Although, I don't know where I would store it.  :D

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »
Thanks, good to know before i waste my money! :)

Maybe i'll try making some pita bread.  i can use my dough for those.

The last couple of days have been hectic, so eating healthy went out the window.  I figure if at least 80 to 90 percent of our diet is healthy that will at least help the other times when its not, right? ;D

wendy

Offline bturner

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »
Hi!
I've been grain free and sugar free for 103 days. Check out my blog to follow my transformational story. I was clinically diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 16 years ago and diabetes runs in my family. It's important to watch how much grains you consume, as it turns to sugar in the body at the basic level. I highly recommend Dr. Dan Pompa's Cellular Healing diet.

I don't believe there's a "cure" for anything. I think we need to support our bodies to heal themselves, I believe our bodies were intricately designed that way. We are all genetically different and there is no one-size-fits-all diet for anyone. One this is for certain though, sugar feeds inflammation and cancer. That's a scientific fact.

You can check out our website for more information. It is always a work in progress to provide the latest nutritional and chiropractic advancements.

Sugar-free is possible- Change your mind, You can change ANYTHING.