Author Topic: Light brown solids in a three year old's urine  (Read 6626 times)

Offline annemarie

• Learning
Light brown solids in a three year old's urine
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:16:28 AM »
My three year old daughter has had the flu for the past six days.  She doesn't have any major symptoms and she is not even very grumpy.  She just lays around doing nothing all day and eats and drinks very little.  Three times in a row I have noticed a brownish color in her wet diaper along with very small almost powdery solids.  This wasn't poop, it definitely can out with the pee.  Has anyone ever seen this before?  Does anyone know what this means?

Offline zmama

• Adept
Re: Light brown solids in a three year old's urine
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:39:19 AM »
My three year old daughter has had the flu for the past six days.  She doesn't have any major symptoms and she is not even very grumpy.  She just lays around doing nothing all day and eats and drinks very little.  Three times in a row I have noticed a brownish color in her wet diaper along with very small almost powdery solids.  This wasn't poop, it definitely can out with the pee.  Has anyone ever seen this before?  Does anyone know what this means?

She sounds to me like she might be severely dehydrated and needs immediate medical attention, in my opinion.  If she's had the flu and is drinking very little plus is that lethargic, that is cause for concern.  My 3-year-old was just hospitalized with a severe case of pneumonia and dehydration.  She had a very high fever (104-106) for 6 days and she was sleeping all day except to get up and potty and got to where she would not drink anything.  She had very poor urine output toward the end of those 6 days.  Another cause could be a UTI.  That could cause darkened urine and/or blood in the urine.  Either way, I would see medical opinion or attention as soon as possible.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:59:44 AM »
I don't have any good advice, but in the mean time get her to drink, drink, drink!!!!  Try some blueberries too, if you can (frozen).  They can be thawed and even blended up for very small children.  My 1 yr. old dd had lots of problems down there and blueberries really helped clear it up- kind of like how cranberries are good for UTI.  Also a great source of vitamin c and bioflavinoids.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »

Sounds like she's dehydrated. You need to get fluids down her. Water, watered down juice, herb tea (most kids like spearmint or Sleepytime), juice popsickles, crushed ice, chicken soup, etc. If you can't get her to drink much let her soak in a looong.... bath, she will absorb water through her skin that way. My oldest tends to dehydrate easily & when he was younger he wouldn't drink much when he was sick. Some people just are not thirsty when they are sick & the more dehydrated they are, the less they realize they need to drink. I used a bath several times to rehydrate him. Just make sure the room's warm so she doesn't chill & have the water at a comfortable temp. Throw in a bunch of toys & let her play. No soap or bubble bath, the idea is to absorb water through her skin, not soap chemicals. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »
My two children were just in the hospital for 4 and 3 days respectively with the rotovirus and dehydration. This is a sign of dehydration. IMO you should seek medical attention.

Other signs of dehydration include tearless crying, lethargy and not eating or drinking. Kids do this just because they feel so bad.

I am praying for your little one! Please keep us updated.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
I've had a 2yold and 4 mo. old that just got over the rotovirus.  That is one nasty flu for a child to catch.  >:(  We took my 2yo into the doctor after she had been throwing up every 30 minutes for 15 hours.  The doctor said to push on her fingernails and if it takes a long time for the pink to return then she is dehydrated.  My dd was okay, but didn't eat for 5 days.  I also noticed that their urine was darker than normal.  I thought it was just more concentrated because they hadn't been drinking.  I would definitely take her in to see a doctor. 

Praying your little one gets well soon!

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 03:44:06 PM »
This is from what I learned during my week long hospital stay is that darker urine can indicate dehydration. Both of mine had it when they were going and I have had when being dehydrated during pregnancy.  It indicates that there is a high level of ke something in your urine which means it is concentrated because you have not had a lot of fluid.

Yes the rotovirus is not fun at all and it is amazing how fast it can ravage these little ones.

My son received IV for several hours in the ER one night was released in the morning and then was dehydrated again by 4 pm. He was so dehydrated when I brought him back to the ER that his veins were collapsing and it took 6 times to get an IV. It is very scary and happens so quickly!

My daughter was actually more dehydrated on day 2 in the hospital with the IV than she was on the first day she was brought in because she was still throwing up so much.

Annemarie - please let us know how your little girl is doing!

Offline zmama

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 04:30:59 AM »
Annemarie,

I've been concerned about your daughter since I read your post yesterday.  Am praying for her.  Any updates??

Offline annemarie

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 06:08:25 AM »
Thank you all so much for your replies and prayers!  You are awesome!  Ashlyn is doing better and eating and drinking more!  Her pee was less brown this morning and I will be pushing every kind of fluid I can think of today and see how she does.
Blessings!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 07:11:47 AM »
When my son was having digestive problems/liver issues for a brief time he had brown urine. I didn't notice any solids though. Were the powdery solids brown or white in your daughters? Only about 2-3 diapers full of fairly brown urine. Then it returned to normal color. This was after throwing up and diahrrea for several days. During this time he also did not want to drink water at all! Which was a BIG change from the norm for him. BUT he craved fresh fruits, especially blueberries and grapes, AND begged me constantly for cranberry juice. I just watered down the juice 50/50 and this helped prevent him from being dehydrated. He was also slow & lethargic during this time. He did not however have a fever or feel bad at all, so I don't think it was a "bug" in our case. He would ask me when he needed fruit, but would reject stuff when he couldn't take it, so I didn't push it.

Here's some more info:
Urine/Stool color and texture as "indicators"

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:12:29 AM by likemanywaters »
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline annemarie

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 05:31:13 AM »
I am happy to report that Ashlyn is now doing much better and having normal pee!  Yesterday she ate pineapple, fruit and lettuce smoothies, soup, oatmeal and kefir, and drank some water.  I also gave her a nice long bath and sealed her skin with oil afterwards.  She has perked up today and is smiling again!  Thank you all!  Thank you Jesus! ;D ;D