Author Topic: Coconut Flour: Where, When, Why & How Much?  (Read 11303 times)

Offline Christal

• Adept
Coconut Flour: Where, When, Why & How Much?
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:54:48 AM »
I found this article about coconut flour today and am really interested.  I want to do the Maker's Diet from start to finish.  I have had success with Phase 3 but I want to go all out and put an end to yeast.  My hardest thing is giving up my grains.  I use wheat muffins, breads, pizza, and pastas almost everyday.

I read about coconut flour at the link below but the stuff he sells is $30 for 6.6 lbs.  Where do any of you buy the flour and how much do you pay?

http://www.mercola.com/products/coconut_flour.htm
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: Coconut Flour: Where, When, Why & How Much?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:56:19 AM »
Hi Christal!  A couple of us have tried this out.  Amy has a recipe she's perfected.  There's some discussion about it and her recipe in this thread:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,995.msg57520.html#msg57520

This thread also talks a little about it (where some have bought it, I think):

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5215.msg53713.html#msg53713
HTH!
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:24:19 AM »
I missed this post last week, but just wanted to add what I have found about coconut flour: it may seem expensive, but you don't need to use very much of it. I make 9 muffins with a little less than 1/2 cup (and some ground almonds too). A little of it will go a long way. You mainly just need a lot of eggs.

Offline jett leann

• Adept
  • www.janettesjava.com
    • janettesjava.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 03:15:23 AM »
Hey Amey!
I was wondering if you could share your muffin recipe?  Also, what brands of coconut flour do you all use?  I've never tried any before, and was wanting to find out if they all taste similar, and also what the prices are on some of them??? ??? ???
Thanks for any replies,
Jett Leann

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 03:48:44 AM »
Coconut flour is becoming one of my favorite things to talk about! There is a book available, which some ladies here have ordered, I think, but I don't have it. There's probably lots of info in the book that I don't know. Here's the recipe I came up with:

Coconut Muffins
4 eggs
5 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
4 tbsp. coconut milk
250 mg stevia (10 little scoops in the bottle I have)
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. vanilla
a little more than 1/2 c. total - coconut flour and almond meal combined (mostly coconut flour)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
I also added some cinnamon and nutmeg (didn't measure)

Mix this up (coconut flour last) and pour it into greased muffin cups and sprinkle unsweetened shredded coconut on top. If it's too thick, add extra coconut oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 9 muffins.

Lately I have been making it without the stevia because it may just be me, but it seems like it is making my eyes burn! Weird, but does anyone else have that problem? So I make it completely unsweetened now for my anti-candida diet, and it's still ok, although very...not sweet. I made some for my kids with a few tablespoons of honey in the batter, and they were delicious (I had one TINY little bite  ;)). One time I added cocoa powder, and those were also very good. But that was when I was still using the stevia.

I have also had success using coconut flour as a breading for fried chicken. I tried using it for gravy, and it didn't work so well, but maybe I need to experiment with that a bit. It's possible it could work, I just don't know.

I buy Bob's Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour, and I'm thinking it was around $6 for a pound. I think you can buy in bulk on-line for cheaper than that, and like I said before, it does stretch farther than regular flour because it expands a lot in liquid and it takes a lot of eggs when you bake with it - so it's bulkier. If you have shredded coconut too, I think you can make it in a food processor or something similar.

HTH!

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 05:01:32 AM »
what else do you use the flour for:? More recipes?

Offline jett leann

• Adept
  • www.janettesjava.com
    • janettesjava.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »
Hi Amey,
When you do use stevia in the muffins, what brand did you use???
Jett Leann

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 02:19:15 PM »
Hi Amey,
When you do use stevia in the muffins, what brand did you use???
Jett Leann

My stevia is from a company called "Superior Source", and I bought it from Trader Joe's. I got it in a 1 oz. bottle. It says 25mg stevia = 1 level teaspoon of sugar, in case you need to figure it out for a different "concentration" of stevia.

I haven't used the coconut flour for anything else yet, makingchanges. I'm interested in trying the brownies, though. Here's the recipe I have, but I forget where I got it! Maybe someone else knows.

8 oz. cream cheese, soft
1/2 c. butter, soft
1 c. coconut flour
3/4 c. sugar (or equivalent, of course)
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. heavy cream
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. nuts

Grease 11x7 pan with coconut oil, preheat oven to 350.
Whip butter, sugar, cheese at high speed until fluffy. Add cocoa powder and cream. Beat in eggs until pudding-like. Add flour, vanilla and beat at high speed until light and fluffy. Pour into pan and sprinkle with nuts.

Whoops. I forgot to write down how long to bake it for. :o I guess if you try this, you'll have to really keep your eye on it! Sorry about that.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is experimenting with it! Another plus for some people is that coconut flour is gluten free.  ;D

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 01:35:44 PM »
There is a recipe for cupcakes on Mercola.com that I just saw that looks like it might be good (except the xylitol might be a little too much -- mainly in regard to the side effect of gas).  Anyway, it's wheat free.  It uses rye and coconut flour.  I thought it was interesting that the lady says that in baking, it usually works best to make coconut flour 1/4 or less of the total amount of flour for the best outcome.  Also, in case you don't watch the actual youtube part of the link, she mentions that you can change the cupcakes from spice cake flavor to chocolate by subbing 3 tsp. cocoa powder for the 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice.  Here's the recipe link:

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Let-Them-Eat-Cake--11500.aspx

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 05:24:15 AM »
[I haven't used the coconut flour for anything else yet, makingchanges. I'm interested in trying the brownies, though. Here's the recipe I have, but I forget where I got it! Maybe someone else knows.

8 oz. cream cheese, soft
1/2 c. butter, soft
1 c. coconut flour
3/4 c. sugar (or equivalent, of course)
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. heavy cream
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. nuts

Grease 11x7 pan with coconut oil, preheat oven to 350.
Whip butter, sugar, cheese at high speed until fluffy. Add cocoa powder and cream. Beat in eggs until pudding-like. Add flour, vanilla and beat at high speed until light and fluffy. Pour into pan and sprinkle with nuts.

Whoops. I forgot to write down how long to bake it for. :o I guess if you try this, you'll have to really keep your eye on it! Sorry about that.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is experimenting with it! Another plus for some people is that coconut flour is gluten free.  ;D

I recently tried this recipe, and it turned out pretty good for "health food". I used honey for the sweetener and homemade kefir cream cheese. They were tasty. I had a few, even though I'm not SUPPOSED to have honey on this anti-fungal diet.  :-*

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 04:56:55 AM »
I finally bought a bunch of coconut flour a while ago and have started trying various recipes.  I didn't get the book with all the coconut flour recipes but came across a website that posted a lot of the recipes in that book and have used some of these.

http://www.tiana-coconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm

So far I've tried the coconut bread and the blueberry coconut muffins.  The bread was slightly "eggy" tasting, but because of the coconut flour it has a lot of natural sweetness.  The texture was kind of dense in a pound-cake kind of way.  I made some "cream cheese" from my yogurt and added stevia and vanilla and spread this on a slice of the coconut bread.  Very good!  Next I plan on making the pancakes.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 01:13:54 PM »
Is there something special about coconut flour? I'm wondering if I couldn't just grind some shredded coconut really well in my vitamix.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 04:48:18 AM »
Just wondering...how 'coconuty' does it taste?  Can you eliminate the coconut taste with the other ingredients or is it as if you had used the actual thing in your food?

Offline kings daughter

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 06:52:44 AM »
I don't taste a "coconuty" taste at all, I am actually enjoying this flour very much..... not having to soak it, high in protein, and gluten free.........It's wonderful!
The only thing is..................it's expensive. I am wondering, like Ella, how to grind it at home.  They ingred. list says "defatted" coconut???? Not sure how to defat it....:). I thought maybe, they just dehydrate it, then grind it????? Not sure. Any other ideas?

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 08:07:23 AM »
Does anyone know............can I just grind shredded coconut and use as flour?    I read how to make coconut flour on the internet but that sounds really time consuming..........no wonder the flour is so expensive.   :o
Has anyone tried this?     There are a couple other people that asked this also and I know we would appreciate any help others have to offer.   Thanks.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side