Author Topic: Kombucha Variations: Teas & Flavors That Do & Don't Work  (Read 161043 times)

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: Kombucha Variations: Teas & Flavors That Do & Don't Work
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2007, 01:27:40 PM »
those of you that added fruit or spices to your brew...did you have any luck?  How do you do that. 

My cranberry one, I put the cranberry juice in with the scoby and it's ok (I posted the recipe above).  I think I need to have some flavored tea in there, too.  I had some ginger kombucha left over that I made last time, and I just mixed all the ginger and cranberry kombucha together.  It's really good.  I didn't mix any cranberry juice into my kombucha after it was done brewing -- decided I like the taste well enough (and don't have the $ for the cran. juice right now!   :D).  If I ever get around to it, I'll post how it is.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2007, 01:03:38 PM »
I read through lots of these post, and I saw people saying it is OK to use Organic tea.  But I was wondering why some website say to NOT use organic tea.  Ive been using the organic bancha green tea from traditional medicinals.  anyone know what the problem would be with organic (I read somewhere that non-organic tea has flouride in it) or know where I can find an answer in all these kombucha threads.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
I read through lots of these post, and I saw people saying it is OK to use Organic tea.  But I was wondering why some website say to NOT use organic tea.  Ive been using the organic bancha green tea from traditional medicinals.  anyone know what the problem would be with organic (I read somewhere that non-organic tea has flouride in it) or know where I can find an answer in all these kombucha threads.

Maybe you read that "non-organic tea has flouride" info in Nourishing Traditions. That is why Sally recommends using organic tea. (obviously :-\ )

A side note: Sally also mentions that black tea will give a higher amount of glucuronic acid (potent detoxifying substance).

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »
I read through lots of these post, and I saw people saying it is OK to use Organic tea.  But I was wondering why some website say to NOT use organic tea.

I don't understand it, either.  I read on Laurel Farms not to use organic tea, because it was more susceptible to mold?  Don't know why, but that is what she said.  I have used both with no problems. 

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
well, if you've had no problem and I got my original scoby from you, then I wont worry about it.  I read that on the laurel farms web site too. 
I've only been using organic and havent had mold yet.  I've also only been using green and she says on laurel farms to use black, maybe I will alternate.

YoopreMama

« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »
Does this make sense...that using non-organic tea gives the SCOBY more toxins to eat and convert to beneficial stuff?  Didn't I read that somewhere?  ??? Is this what the question relates to?   :-[ ::)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:32:21 PM by YooperMama »

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2007, 06:14:56 PM »
We have used only green tea so far and our SCOBY's are excellent, and so is the Kombucha.
I just made this new batch with raspberry tea, I hope it turns out all right, the tea tasted delicious!

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2007, 09:51:41 AM »
Does anyone know if I could put bilberries in my kombucha since I am having trouble with my eyes?  If so, how much would you add per gallon?
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »
I meant to say mint tea instead of rasberry, Rasberry tea is oily. The mint and green tea mixed together made the best tasting kombucha I have ever had!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2007, 07:48:28 AM »
Oh, great - thanks for the tip! I've got tons of fresh mint right now and I'll have to try it.

For Guscoceros:
I tried a batch of Buch with Hops flowers, and here's the update:

Because our weather has suddenly turned Summer in the last couple of weeks, it brewed faster, and too vinegary :-[. However, it still tastes very interesting. I think it smells a *little* like beer, and something about it reminds me of beer, but the flavor is oddly like papaya or mango! The hops bitterness totally changed into a tropical fruity flavor. Whether or not it would be relaxing, I don't know yet. Gotta try again... :P

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2007, 08:41:55 AM »
We tried a combo of true blueberry and cranberry/apple zinger -

it was yucky! :P

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2007, 05:10:22 PM »
I tried my first batch with black tea and Mandarin Orange Zinger (Celestail Seasonings).  I checked it today (day 6) and there was mold all over the top.  ???  (It smelled good, though.)  I poured it out, and retrieved the scoby.  It is resting in some fresh tea now.

Do I have to throw out the scoby, or can I use it again?

Offline titus2wam

• Adept
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2007, 05:42:43 PM »
Beka, i have been meaning to tell you that i tried this with the mountian mint i have growing and it was really good. very fresh but delicate flavor.
we also tried one with a chai tea and C really liked that.
Jeri
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:45:25 PM by titus2wam »
Life with basething!! ahhhhhh! :>) don't ya wannna come along?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2007, 04:58:09 AM »
I tried my first batch with black tea and Mandarin Orange Zinger (Celestail Seasonings).  I checked it today (day 6) and there was mold all over the top.  ???  (It smelled good, though.)  I poured it out, and retrieved the scoby.  It is resting in some fresh tea now.

Do I have to throw out the scoby, or can I use it again?

I would pitch the whole thing - scoby & all.  The mold spores are tiny and can ruin more batches. 
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2007, 04:59:23 AM »
We tried a combo of true blueberry and cranberry/apple zinger -

it was yucky! :P

We thought the cranberry/apple zinger Bucha was yucky, too.  The tea is fine to us, but the bucha was -blech.

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2007, 05:23:22 PM »
Oh, great - thanks for the tip! I've got tons of fresh mint right now and I'll have to try it.

For Guscoceros:
I tried a batch of Buch with Hops flowers, and here's the update:

Because our weather has suddenly turned Summer in the last couple of weeks, it brewed faster, and too vinegary :-[. However, it still tastes very interesting. I think it smells a *little* like beer, and something about it reminds me of beer, but the flavor is oddly like papaya or mango! The hops bitterness totally changed into a tropical fruity flavor. Whether or not it would be relaxing, I don't know yet. Gotta try again... :P

Rebekah

What tea did you use in the kombucha?

YoopreMama

« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »
We thought the cranberry/apple zinger Bucha was yucky, too.  The tea is fine to us, but the bucha was -blech.
Thanks for sharing that..it's next on our list...m/b we'll scrap it in favor of another flavor!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
I used Black tea - Lipton - with the first batch of Hops. This time I used a Peach flavor from Celestial Seasonings.

Right now I have brewing: 1 Gal. Peach and Hops, 1 Gal Black and Spearmint, 1 Gal Fast Lane (Celestial Seasonings high caffeine  :o), 2 Gal Ginger and Black, and 1 Gal of Jasmine Green Tea with Honey.

We sell it by the bottle at the local flea market  8)

Rebekah

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2007, 04:13:45 PM »
I meant to say mint tea instead of rasberry, Rasberry tea is oily. The mint and green tea mixed together made the best tasting kombucha I have ever had!

Doesnt mint have oil?I have wanted to try it but was afraid  to ruin my scoby.What kind did you use?

Em

I posted a reply on this thread but it got moved because I posted a different question under it :P anyway its in the kombucha general info thread. :)

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »
Hops users:

Where are ya' gettin' your hops?  Are you using dried (that I can order pretty easily or maybe even find stocked locally) or fresh? 

Sorry if I missed the answer above.  I looked, but second gear in my brain was stripped out sometime last week and haven't had time to get parts...

Sarah K

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2007, 07:51:06 AM »
I got mine so long ago I don't remember anymore. But, I'm sure you'll find it at the bulkherbstore.com and probably morethanalive.com as well...

Rebekah

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »
Rebekah,

So for your Peach & Hops Bucha, Do you use both Black Tea, Peach, & Hops?  How many bags of each? Also, does it make you sleepy? Or does the Kombucha "energy" cancel out the calming of the hops? Hope that made sense....

Do herbs STILL have their properties or NOT after brewing with Bucha?
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2007, 07:22:08 AM »
I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but after reading 5 pages I gave up on trying to find the answer.  I finally have a scoby to make kombucha but when I started to get everything together to make I found I don't have a single speck of sugar anywhere!  I know some posts say MUST have sugar, but will raw honey work?  That's the only thing I have on hand and really don't want to go to the store.  Thanks ahead of time. :)

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »
I tried making Vanilla Kombucha simply by adding a vanilla bean under the scoby while brewing & it turned out FANTASTIC!!! Tastes EXACTLY like Vanilla Cream Soda (7 days brew time)!  ;D ;D ;D DH is going to be very, very happy with this one...
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

YoopreMama

« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »
I tried making Vanilla Kombucha simply by adding a vanilla bean under the scoby while brewing & it turned out FANTASTIC!!! Tastes EXACTLY like Vanilla Cream Soda (7 days brew time)!  ;D ;D ;D DH is going to be very, very happy with this one...
I've wondered how to make a vanilla flavor!!!!!!!  Thanks, likemanywaters!   :-*

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2007, 11:13:47 AM »
Rebekah,

So for your Peach & Hops Bucha, Do you use both Black Tea, Peach, & Hops?  How many bags of each? Also, does it make you sleepy? Or does the Kombucha "energy" cancel out the calming of the hops? Hope that made sense....

Do herbs STILL have their properties or NOT after brewing with Bucha?

It was a peach flavored black tea from Celestial Seasonings, so I didn't use any black tea along with it. I think I used  6 bags of Peach and like a 1/3 cup dry hops flowers. This batch will be ready in about 4 days, so I don't know yet what the results will be.

Thanks for the vanilla bean tip! Thats really interesting... can't wait to try it next.

Rebekah

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »
LMW- what kind of tea did you use to make your vanilla 'boucha?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »
Black Tea from the Bulk Herb Store (around 3 T. loose) and 1 cup sugar to 1 gal. water.

OH, and I did not steep the vanilla bean in the hot water, I added the bean to the lukewarm tea right before adding the scoby. I saved it with my new scoby baby & plan on using it for concurrent batches. I wonder how long one bean will last? We'll see...

PS - I brew at ~80 degrees in a 1 gal. glass jar
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:03:51 AM by likemanywaters »

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »

Have any of you tried using honey to make your 'bucha? I saw a recipe online for it. You have to use honey and malt powder or syrup. I am curious so I may try it myself.

If any of you have tried it, could you tell us about your results? I wonder if the taste is affected or any of the medicinal qualities. Thoughts?

My friend (YouthfulOne) has gluten allergies in her house and we had just happened to talk about malt having gluten. Today I went into the local beer making supply store and he had a note posted saying he now carries gluten free malt syrup. So all of you gluten avoiders, take heart that you too can try honey 'bucha!
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX