Author Topic: Kombucha Variations: Teas & Flavors That Do & Don't Work  (Read 153901 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Kombucha Variations: Teas & Flavors That Do & Don't Work
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2007, 06:43:11 AM »
Anyone need a scoby?  I am up to my ears in tea right now since I am the only one drinking it, and I have at least 1 nice scoby to pass on.  All I would like is shipping cost - I'm not sure how much that would be right now.  If you're interested, I can get you a price.

Since I am new at this, can someone tell me the best way to ship this?  Also, right now the temp out here in Indiana is just now breaking into the teens during the day, but still is 0 or below at night.  Will it hurt/weaken it if it is shipped in such extremely insane cold weather.  (It was 50 degrees with not a flake of snow to be had at Christmas.  Yesterday, we walked outside to do chores in the morning and said, "Hey, it's not as cold this morning!  This feels better"  We checked the temp - it was 4 degrees!)

Any good stories from you guys about the personal health benefits you've experienced from kombucha?  I need more ammo to convince my family! ;D

i've been wondering the same thing about shipping.  brrrrrr......

i've given up on convincing my family, although my hubby is way ahead of all of us (loving ginger kombucha 15 day brew  :o ) i've got my kids liking this peach flavor at about 7 day brew time.  i think it's better than none!  they love it and my little one calls it "pop".  i found it local at a groc. store, but here's a picture of it.

http://www.bigelowtea.com/shop/details.cfm?si=1&sc=3&pi=00130

now we have Mandarin Orange Spice Celestial Seasonings started, and we may try Berry Zinger again at a short brew time instead of 14 days.  also this time i tried not adding any starter tea at beeyoutiful's suggestion, so they wouldn't grow their own scoby in the jar after straining.  also, i told them that we have to try each new brew cuz i am making them all different, to try to make one they will like.  so that helped them to know they wouldn't all taste as yucky as the first. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »
Here's a "Dry Ginger Beer Kombucha" recipe. This is our favorite so far. It's not vinegary or sweet, and our occasional company seems to really like it as well. If you want to do without the sugar (which is fattening) and don't like the vinegar - this is the recipe for you.

Make Komucha the regular way:

1 gallon of tea (black tea)

Mix in 1 cup of sugar

Add one fistful of chopped ginger root

Add mushroom and a couple of tablespoons of previous kombucha brew to new lukewarm tea.

Cover with coffee filter and put in a quiet, dimly lit place, moderate temperature 60-70 degrees for 8 days or until you have a good new mushroom growth on the tea, but it still tastes sweet when sampled. 
(this length of time may vary for different altitudes, climates???)

Now place the brew (still covered and unfiltered) in a refridgerator and continue brewing at a cool temperature (35-45 degrees) for 10 days - 2 weeks.

Taste test to see if the brew is dry enough for you. (The mushroom will continue to eat the sugar while in the fridge, but at a slower rate, which somehow keeps it from going vinegary.)

Ours was dry enough for us after 2 weeks in the fridge. I strained it and bottled it as usual, and it was ready to drink right away, but gained some effervescence 1-2 weeks after being bottled.

I found that I got the energy pick up without any alcohol buzz from this brew. I don't know what the A content was though...

-Rebekah
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:08:32 AM by ForeverGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2007, 06:01:38 PM »
I did not strain the kombucha when it was done.  Each bottle has started growing it's own scooby.  Can that scooby be given to someone to start their own?  Or does it need to grow off the mother for best results?  Will the tea ingredients say "oil" in them or is there a list of teas not to use?

I have saved those 'boogers' in the past & used them as another full sized scoby.  They seem to take a little longer to brew up - but they work.

If you look at a package of Earl Grey tea you will see "Oil of B.." something-or-other in the ingerdients.  That's you big hint.  But I suspect my "Sweet Coconut Thai" Decaf from Celestial Seasonings has some oil in it as well -probably from the coconut (duh!) cuz my scobys sometimes look a little weaker after coming out of that tea... buy it sure is nummy.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2007, 09:46:31 AM »
Forgive me if this has been answered on some thread out there somewhere. I have been making kombucha for a couple of months now, but no one drinks it!! It's like dry red wine or something, I can't quite take it. The first swallow is good, then it's more bitter tasting. Can I make it sweeter? If I could get it to be sweeter or a little more mellow we'd drink it a lot more.

I know there are people here that say their kids go through a gallon of it in a week or something. No chance of that happening with mine. ANyone know how to tweak it?

THanks!

Offline MrsJ

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2007, 11:25:06 AM »
Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I just wanted to say thanks for asking the question!  I second it, and will be eager for any answers!  One of the women I work with is crazy about kombucha and sends jars of it home with me, tells me "drink your kombucha!" if I'm not feeling well or need a boost, but I just can't stomach more than a few sips.  It just tastes too dry and strong, and I always feel guilty about not liking it when I read all the health benefits.  So, I'm with ya.  Hope someone out there will give us a hand.  :)

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »
well, how long are you brewing and what recipe are you using?  The flavor can very GREATLY depending on what flavors of tea, and other stuff you add like ginger.  I've been thinking about adding a cinnamon stick to one of mine, or a clove or maybe vanilla bean to see what that would do to the flavor.  Personally so far my favorite is Jasmine green tea with peach herbal a generous cup of sugar (to one gallon) and an eleven day brew (so it was orignially going to be ten day and then life happened)

-Heather

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2007, 11:55:28 AM »
Ok so I've recently been thinking, why should I stop with ginger in flavoring my boucha?  (other than particular teas that is) and wondered if any of you veterens out there had an opinion on adding a cinnamon stick or clove to the brew, maybe even a vanilla bean?  I know that you can't use Earl Gray due to some kind of oil, so would these things be 'Komboucha killers' do ya think?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »
my kids didn't like it at all til i used Bigelow Green tea with peach, (along with 4 reg. black tea bags per gallon & 1 1/3 c. sugar) and only brewed it for 7 days.  now they love it!  i figure it's better than not drinking it at all.  it goes great with popcorn as a pop replacement! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2007, 01:09:52 PM »
Ok so I've recently been thinking, why should I stop with ginger in flavoring my boucha?  (other than particular teas that is) and wondered if any of you veterens out there had an opinion on adding a cinnamon stick or clove to the brew, maybe even a vanilla bean?  I know that you can't use Earl Gray due to some kind of oil, so would these things be 'Komboucha killers' do ya think?

We just started putting cinnamon sticks in our Boucha after we strain it to drink. We keep it in the fridge in containers and add the cinnamon sticks then. It's really a great flavor and cinnamon is very good for you. I don't know that I would add it when it's fermenting, but at the end, I think it would be okay.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

We just started putting cinnamon sticks in our Boucha after we strain it to drink. We keep it in the fridge in containers and add the cinnamon sticks then. It's really a great flavor and cinnamon is very good for you. I don't know that I would add it when it's fermenting, but at the end, I think it would be okay.

I have NO evidence here -just thoughts- so take it for that only.

If the oils kill one of the microbes living in symbiosis in your Bucha - it may effect the goody benefits.  I suppose it would depend on which microbe is effected & what byproduct it offers in the beverage....

Sarah K

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2007, 06:42:40 PM »

I have NO evidence here -just thoughts- so take it for that only.

If the oils kill one of the microbes living in symbiosis in your Bucha - it may effect the goody benefits.  I suppose it would depend on which microbe is effected & what byproduct it offers in the beverage....

Sarah K

This is my concern, but spices like cloves and cinnamon don't seem to me oily and if fresh ginger doesn't kill the scoby I wouldn't think the properties of the cinnamon would...  But just wondering what everybody else thought or what their experience is.  I'll probably start off with a post brew addition and see how it does, although I really like my boucha fresh.

-Heather

Offline Becky in WV

• Learning
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2007, 06:26:39 AM »
I'm no expert on kombucha since I just harvested my first batch last week.  But all of us liked it, even my very picky 8yo.  I harvested at 8 days, and made it with black tea (3 family-size Luzianne) and Celestial Seasonings berry zinger tea (2 reg. size) and 1 1/3 cups sugar.  I brewed it for around 12 minutes and then stirred in the sugar (plain old walmart sugar).  At 8 days I transferred it into bottles with rubber stoppers and let it sit in the fridge for 4 days before really drinking it.  We tasted it at 8 days (before bottling) and it was alright, but not yummy.  After sitting bottled for 4 days in the fridge we noticed a marked taste improvement!  The kids loved it, dh loved it, I loved it and everyone who's tried it has loved it.  It reminds us of pop.  We finished it off a few days ago and are eagerly awaiting our next 2 gallons.   :)

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2007, 10:28:52 AM »
Well that explains a lot!!! I used the recipe from the lady I bought the mushroom from. 1 quart water (filtered), 1/4c sugar!!!! and two black tea bags. I was afraid to add more sugar because I didn't know if that would mess it up! Plus I thought you could only use black tea or else the oils etc. of flavored ones could mold or something. I preferred harvesting it at 5-6 days, taking the mushroom out, then capping it tightly and leaving at room temp. for a few days to fizz up.

I've noticed when i do this, a 'second' mushroom forms, a very thin and clear looking thing...should I keep it?

Enlightenment! Thanks...

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2007, 06:32:42 AM »
yes!  if you keep it you can use it for another batch and it will keep growing.  some people throw all the little blobs from the bottled stuff together for a new one.  i just chuck it!   ;D 

Offline Laura L.

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2007, 08:27:48 AM »
OK, I don't use any baking soda, and use a lot of herbs and fruit!

I love Rose hips, lemon grass, lemon balm, and some flowers too...Make tea as infusion.

I boil lemons, oranges, or just the skins when I make some juices. The tea result very vigorizing and creates a lot of efervecence!!!

Like you see I use anything, and love experimentation!

Let you inner voice show you your way!

Laura L.

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2007, 03:52:05 AM »
Has anyone made Kombucha with chamomile?  Can you mix tea, like 3 green teas and three chamomile.

Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2007, 04:04:55 AM »
Has anyone made Kombucha with chamomile?  Can you mix tea, like 3 green teas and three chamomile.

I do mix teas, but I am guessing that chomomile isn't a good idea.  You aren't supposed to use teas that contain oils & chamomile does. 
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2007, 05:31:35 AM »

hi sarah!  somewhere in this thread i asked what people's favorite flavors were.  and some people responded w/ what they liked, that helped me get going on different flavors that were safe to try with no oils.  i was unsure if it would actually say on the package that there were or not.  now, what i use is 4 black tea bags (plain lipton) and 3 of a flavored kind.  i have had good success with celestial seasonings and bigelow.  my kids love Bigelow Green tea with peach (i still use the black with it) and i have also made: CS Berry Zinger, CS Mandrin Orange Spice, and now i have CS Bengal Spice going.  my hubby loves plain black with a handfull of ginger thrown in brewed LONG.  (it will curl your hair!)   :o  so experiment and have fun with your flavors, just remember to always use white sugar, black tea, in addition to whatever flavor you want.  the only one i've heard not to use is Earl Grey, and someone on here just said chamomile.  good luck! 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:49:54 PM by 4myhoonie »

YoopreMama

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »
I got it....I got it....cha cha cha!

My 1st SCOBY came today, courtesy of sweet abbilynn... :-* !

I am steeping my tea now...English Breakfast and honey peach ginger...her starter smelled peachy good, so that's what we're going to try.  I had limited choices on hand w/ black and green teas....had green but it was w/ jasmine...suspected oils in it.  Had Earl Grey, but there was bergamot in there, and suspected oils, too.  Then I just read 4myhoonie's post not to use Earl Grey so I avoided that blunder (I'll have more to report, I'm sure!   ;)).

I wish it was ready faster than 7 days!  This is like being on the MC waiting for time to fly by!   ::)

Yee haw!   8) ;D

Offline honeybee

• Adept
  • He refines my thorns and turns them into a rose
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
had green but it was w/ jasmine...suspected oils in it.

Just a note I use jasmine green tea and have had no problems with it at all.

It tastes great and we are seeing the benefits of drinking this.

Honeybee
Definition of Happiness:
God, My Husband, and My Children

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2007, 03:04:53 PM »

Just a note I use jasmine green tea and have had no problems with it at all.

I use jasmine green with mine, too.  There aren't any oils in jasmine considering it is a flower.  You would have to be careful with a flavor like Earl Grey because it is flavored with a bergamot "oil" and not a flower.  Just a tip.

YoopreMama

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2007, 03:07:54 PM »
Thanks, Ladies, for the tips on green jasmine tea. :-*  I don't like it as a tea...would kombucha-ing it make it more palatable?  I feel like I'm drinking perfume!   :P :-X

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2007, 03:15:39 PM »
I feel that Kombucha-ing it would down play the Jasmine taste, but make it at your own risk! lol!  I don't want you throwing a jar of wasted bucha through my window if you don't like it! Actually, maybe I would like it 'cause then I would have another scoby! haha!

YoopreMama

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2007, 03:55:52 PM »
I feel that Kombucha-ing it would down play the Jasmine taste, but make it at your own risk! lol!  I don't want you throwing a jar of wasted bucha through my window if you don't like it! Actually, maybe I would like it 'cause then I would have another scoby! haha!
You are HILARIOUS!  :D 

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2007, 07:42:19 AM »
I got it....I got it....cha cha cha!

My 1st SCOBY came today, courtesy of sweet abbilynn... :-* !

I am steeping my tea now...English Breakfast and honey peach ginger...her starter smelled peachy good, so that's what we're going to try.  I had limited choices on hand w/ black and green teas....had green but it was w/ jasmine...suspected oils in it.  Had Earl Grey, but there was bergamot in there, and suspected oils, too.  Then I just read 4myhoonie's post not to use Earl Grey so I avoided that blunder (I'll have more to report, I'm sure!   ;)).

I wish it was ready faster than 7 days!  This is like being on the MC waiting for time to fly by!   ::)

Yee haw!   8) ;D

The ingredients would list oils if they were in there, at least on the packages of tea I was looking at.

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »
   We've made honey vanilla chamomile kombucha and it turned out wonderful. They were honey vanilla chamomile tea bags, and then we added the sugar like normal.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2007, 08:38:25 AM »
I have made BUcha with some tea that I have since suspected must have had some oil in it somehow.  When I used it, it made a baby and all that and even got kind fizzy - but the mother seemed to be 'weaker' not stronger & thicker like I expected it to be.  The baby was thinner than other were for the same time/sugar but made with different tea.  And, these that were subjected to the suspect tea took about 3 brewings in other tea to bounce back to full expectations.

The tea I discoved this with was the Sweet Coconut Thai from Celestial seasonings & there is on "oil" in the listing -but its' gotta be the coconut. 

My observations-
Sarah K

Offline screasy

• Adept
  • Trying my best....
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2007, 06:36:25 AM »
OK, I just got my first batch of bucha and bottled it.  I used decaf Lipton tea with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and let it sit for seven days.  I have bottled most of it to sit for an additional 5 days in the fridge.

I tasted of the fresh batch, and it tastes vaguely like wine.  I HATE WINE!!!!  Is it always going to taste like that, or does it change after chilling?

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2007, 11:46:15 AM »
OK, I just got my first batch of bucha and bottled it.  I used decaf Lipton tea with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and let it sit for seven days.  I have bottled most of it to sit for an additional 5 days in the fridge.

I tasted of the fresh batch, and it tastes vaguely like wine.  I HATE WINE!!!!  Is it always going to taste like that, or does it change after chilling?

I just read this- and started to laugh!  You should put another tea type in that adds flavor- we just made a BENGAL SPICE tea batch from Celestial Seasonings- which is my personal favorite tea.  Naturally, we use the Black Tea, and then the Bengal Spice as well in the tea mix.  This particular was hands down the best we have ever had- it tasted very much like a Christmas drink.  It had only set for 2 weeks though- so it was far too sweet for me (we put it back in to age another week).  I like it best when it takes your breath away after a good solid chug.  8)  Of course, I like my chili strong enough that it doubles as a paint remover too.  ;).

Anyhow- I am told the trick is to not get a flavored tea with oil in it.  I can recommend with impunity - the Bengal Spice to add to your mix.

It may end up being an acquired taste for you- I am enjoying my kombucha everyday after work.

Good luck, Im rootin for ya

G

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2007, 01:15:37 AM »
You should put another tea type in that adds flavor- we just made a BENGAL SPICE tea batch from Celestial Seasonings- which is my personal favorite tea.  Naturally, we use the Black Tea, and then the Bengal Spice as well in the tea mix.  This particular was hands down the best we have ever had- it tasted very much like a Christmas drink.

That "Christmas Drink" flavor seems to be there with some of the "vanilla" flavored teas too.  It tastes like it has a hint of something like nutmeg or maybe cloves....

Sarah K