Author Topic: Drinking coconut water for electrolytes  (Read 32809 times)

burlsgirl

Re: Drinking coconut water for electrolytes
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 06:31:50 AM »
Great idea! I'm going to check my yellow pages for Mexican markets just to be sure. If I don't find anything, I'll be petitioning someone around here to help me out!

Thanks!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 06:36:16 AM »
You could also Google some in your area. That is how we found ours. 

Em

earthymomof2

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 07:35:30 AM »
I have to put in a plug for coconut water.  It is so reviving.  I had nearly passed out after being in my nice warm birthing tub too long after I gave birth Jan 12.  My blood pressure was incredibly low (midwife wouldn't even dare tell me how low).  She gave me a homeopathic remedy.  I also downed a tetra brick of Vita Coco brand coconut water.  I almost instantly revived!!! 

If you're having a homebirth or doing anything strenuous in hot weather, I strongly suggest you get some and have it around.  It's AMAZING!!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 08:01:29 AM »
  Do you know when they are in season? 

I was just in Jamaica in December/January and at that time the coconuts were green and full of water.

We drank from a hole hacked in the green coconuts right after they had been freshly picked in front of of our eyes. It was good and refreshing.

There is also coconut jelly. From what I could understand from the accent, coconut jelly is the slimy white stuff that is in the coconut while the coconut is in the in between stages of having water and milk. It was slimy, white and watery. It had a good fresh coconut flavor as well. It was kind of like the begining stages of the coconut meat.

I wish US costumes would allow ppl to bring home fresh coconuts like that, I would have loved to bring a suit case full home.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 08:10:48 AM »
  Do you know when they are in season? 

I was just in Jamaica in December/January and at that time the coconuts were green and full of water.

We drank from a hole hacked in the green coconuts right after they had been freshly picked in front of of our eyes. It was good and refreshing.

There is also coconut jelly. From what I could understand from the accent, coconut jelly is the slimy white stuff that is in the coconut while the coconut is in the in between stages of having water and milk. It was slimy, white and watery. It had a good fresh coconut flavor as well. It was kind of like the begining stages of the coconut meat.

I wish US costumes would allow ppl to bring home fresh coconuts like that, I would have loved to bring a suit case full home.

Could you ship them to yourself before you leave?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »
I never thought about that . I have a feeling the answer would be no. I dont know why US customs are so freaked out by ppl bringing fresh fruits in from other countries.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 09:20:44 AM »
I never thought about that . I have a feeling the answer would be no. I dont know why US customs are so freaked out by ppl bringing fresh fruits in from other countries.
Well the advertised reason is disease, bugs and other contaminates.  Another reason would be control over the economy of food.  If you start getting all your food from somewhere else, then someone's pocketbook is going to suffer. :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »
Well the advertised reason is disease, bugs and other contaminates.  Another reason would be control over the economy of food.  If you start getting all your food from somewhere else, then someone's pocketbook is going to suffer. :-\

HB, you are right.  We can't ship fresh food from here unless it has been checked by the dept of agriculture.  And of course that makes it much more expensive.  When you go to the post office with a package they actually ask if you have anything perishable in the package. 

BJ- the jelly like coconuts are a delicacy to some over here.  They love it.  I can't get past the texture thing, but my dh loves them. 

I add the coconut water to our iced herb tea.

mauimom

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »
coconut water?
ok, on the chance of sounding dumb (and I live under a coconut tree!) uh, are you refering to the liquid in the middle of the coconut?

we call that coconut juice here. 

coconuts:
crack open, drink juice.  scrape out meat.  shred, sqeeze really tight over bowl (sqeeze in coconut husk if really want to be authentic or just use a cheesecloth) to get coconut milk.  eat meat and drink milk.  OR put milk in sun to make coconut oil.   :)

that's what we do here anyhow :)  if only that coconut tree over my head was my tree...

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 03:22:02 PM »
From as much as I could understand it is an immature young coconut that is still green that has the water in it, before the milk is even developed in there. But I was also told that there are differant kinds of coconuts so perhaps not all young coconuts have that water? And perhaps not all have that jelly either? I dunno. I always thought all coconuts were brown, hard to crack and contained milk and that meat stuff used for making goodies.

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »
coconut water?
ok, on the chance of sounding dumb (and I live under a coconut tree!) uh, are you refering to the liquid in the middle of the coconut?

we call that coconut juice here. 

coconuts:
crack open, drink juice.  scrape out meat.  shred, sqeeze really tight over bowl (sqeeze in coconut husk if really want to be authentic or just use a cheesecloth) to get coconut milk.  eat meat and drink milk.  OR put milk in sun to make coconut oil.   :)

that's what we do here anyhow :)  if only that coconut tree over my head was my tree...

Yes, milmuth we are talking about the liquid inside a coconut.  If you do a search on coconuts, you will find the different liquids and the definitions.  I searched when I wanted to see if it was possible to make my own coconut oil, since we have all these coconuts around here.  ;)
Some sites referred to it as juice, some as water, but it is the same.  It is fun to taste the difference in the juice from coconut to coconut.  Some are sweeter then others and some just make me shiver all over!!  :P :P
mauimom

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 02:36:38 PM »
  Some are sweeter then others and some just make me shiver all over!!  :P :P
mauimom

LOL  yup, been there done that too!

Thanks for clarifying.  I've never heard it called water before.  Always the juice. 
Younger coconuts are full of juice, as they mature there is more meat and milk.  At least, that is our variety.  I think there are some that never really get much meat to them but are sweeter juice (water). 

It is a common summer time drink around here- coconuts that are kept on ice and "drilled" fresh for you to drink.  It is tastey if the right kind is chosen ;)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
Below is a pic of one of my friends drinking coconut water from a freshly picked and hacked open coconut in Jamaica. I had never saw coconuts in that stage before then. Now that I know the health advantages of coconut water I wish I had some right now. But this is what it looks like.

Nickole

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 06:34:30 AM »
We just bought a young coconut for the first time the other day.  $2.99 at Earth Fare which I know I can get them cheaper at the Asian market, but I was there and was intrigued. After we finally got the thing opened, oh my, that water is so incredibly delicious.  And the inside of that coconut just smells SOOOO good!  The meat is incredible!  Nothing like coconut I am used to.   :P  You people in the tropics must feel like you are in heaven...Wish I could have one of these every day!   

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 07:14:07 AM »
Below is a pic of one of my friends drinking coconut water from a freshly picked and hacked open coconut in Jamaica. I had never saw coconuts in that stage before then. Now that I know the health advantages of coconut water I wish I had some right now. But this is what it looks like.

But don't look for that in the grocery store/asian market.  When you buy them here, the green part is peeled off and they are white and not round and they are wrapped in cellophane.  At least that's my experience.  I always wondered why they were sometimes called 'green' coconuts (or young coconuts).  Now I know.

Nickole

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2008, 07:19:31 AM »
yeah when we were in Ecuador they sold them alng the side of the road for 75 cents and they were chilled with a straw in them...you drank it up and than they'd crack it open and you could eat the young coconut out...kinda like a jello consistency...good stuff!!

There is a girl at our church that recently went on a mission trip to Thailand and she got to enjoy one every day, just like that.  She is the one that convinced me to try it out.  I cannot stop munching on that delicious coconut jelly! 

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
What about fermenting the water? I just bought some packaged from the Health Food store called Harvest Bay in hopes to kefirize it. I have some extra milk grains and thought I could convert some to making fermented coconut water? Any thoughts as how to do this? Thanks in advance.
Tennille

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
You can ferment the water.  It's actually highly recommended for getting good bacteria!  We did that for about 2 years, using kefir powder.  I'm not sure how you would do it with grains, though.  Hope you figure it out!