Author Topic: Drinking coconut water for electrolytes  (Read 32824 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Drinking coconut water for electrolytes
« on: March 01, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »
i have been interested in Coconut water for a while and have studied the benefits of it a bit.  One think I have read is that it is an electrolyte replacing drink.  I have never felt great about giving my kids Gatorade or pedialyte.  My baby has had a high fever all day today and I thought this was my chance to see how it works.  He loves it.  He has been guzzling it down.  His temp has been between 102-104 all day and everytime he drinks a glass of coconut water his temp drops and he perks up for a couple of hours.  He has had heavy wet diapers all day long.  I read somewhere that coconut water is used in some areas as IV fluids. 
Here is what the box says:
"Inside every young coconut is a refreshing electrolyte replacing beverage that far surpasses every artificial sports drink.  Vita Coco (the brand I purchased) is fat-free and an excellent source of potassium, manganese and magnesium.  In fact, this 100%pure life enhancing beverage has also been pr oven to increase vitality, ease digestion, cure hangovers  :-\ and literally save people's lives."
11.2 fl oz contains
Sodium - 35mg
Sugars - 15 g
Magnesium - 35mg
phosphorous - 17mg
Manganese - 2.4 mg
Potassium - 600mg

Honestly, those numbers don't really mean much to me but maybe to the more informed they would be useful.

Now my son also has diareah and I would like to give him keifer but I don't know what that would do to him but I have heard that you can keifer coconut water, that seems like it would be perfect for this type of cold or whatever he has. 

anyone else drink this stuff or use it in this way?

Offline mamalove

• Wide Eyed
Re: Drinking coconut water for electrolytes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:59:08 PM »
Yes I just purchased coconut water myself, I love it, it's an easy way to get hydrated.  In the past I bought the young white coconuts and put the juice in with smoothies.  I noticed one day I had a terrible headache and drank some coconut water and it went away.  I'm not  able to always purchase the Young white coconuts so I decided to research them online and placed an order for them, although they are a bit spendy, I hope that it is worth it.  My kids like them and I'm with you I don't like to give my kids gatorade or pedialyte.  I'd rather spend money on coconut water then pop.
I ordered the O.N.E. brand. 

Offline drfalk

• Learning
    • Abundant Homestead-Kombucha and More!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »
This would have been great information to know when I was in my 1st trimester. I had a terrible cycle of dehydration :( I never had to go to the hospital though :) I guess I caught it on time, even though it took me 4 days of throwing up everything to realize that this was not normal pregnancy symptoms. Anyways, I tried Gatorade and Pedialyte and found out that just drinking spring water helped me better than the former two. I also tried Recharge, and for me water was still better.

I wonder has anyone ever drank coconut water while pregnant? It seems like a silly question but I would still like to know. I'm due at the end of july and wouldn't mind using this as an option in the summer months. :) Thank for any input.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:05:44 PM »
I am due in May and I drink it any chance I get. I think it is an excellent thing to drink when pregnant.  I plan to have it at my birth this time as I get so thirsty.  You can get the drink boxes in the HFS around here.  The 2 brands I have seen are Coco Vita and Harvest Bay.  They seem identical to me. 
Young coconuts or Thai Coconuts as they are often labeled look very different from a regular coconut.  They are white and sort of pointed at one end and round at the other.  I have found Young Coconuts at Asian and hispanic markets.  They are really good.  The way to pick one is by feel.  It should be nice and heavy for the size.  I think they have to travel a ways and they often have some mold on the outside and occasionally some on the inside.  This was very hard for me to deal with at first but they are so worth it.  A little pink mold on the outside is no big deal but I never drink the water or eat the meat until I've seen the inside.  The best way I've found to get in to them is by poking 2 holes in the top (the pointy side) then turning it over to drain the water in to something.  Then I put the coconut in to 2 plastic grocery bags and take it outside and whack it hard on the patio until it has some large cracks.  Then bring it in, split it open and check out the meat.  It it gelatinous - way different (and better) than a mature coconut.  It should be sort of slimy but bright white, not green, black or pink.  I've bought lots of them and I think I've only come across 2 that were bad.  the meat is easy to spoon out and eat or it's really good in smoothies.  They usually cost around $2.00 a piece.  The water is so refreshing.

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 12:53:54 AM »
I've read (maybe Maker's Diet guy) that drinking coconut water is like getting a blood transfusion, it's so good for you!  Anyone else know what I'm talking about?   ::) ???

Great idea as a replacement for Pedialyte/Gatorade...I forgot about it!  Emergen-C is good for that, too.  I had some coconut water last week when I was detoxing, and I think it helped.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:55:37 AM by YooperMama »

Offline mamalove

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 11:08:38 AM »
I noticed that too about the young coconuts that some were moldy, but I tried them and they still tasted alright cause it was more on the outside, it actually still tasted the same so I did not care, cause like I said these are very hard to come by in my area.  Do you know when they are in season?  I'm very lucky to find them at one particular store and they don't always carry them, they are about $2.50 when I do get them.  So this is why I looked into the box drinks  (because they are hard to come by) and it cost me $29.00 for a case of 12 this includes shipping (I ordered online), does anyone know of cheaper?  The closest health store, that I did find them at is 2 hours away.  But like I said I really believe these are worth it for my family's health and wellbeing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 11:14:09 AM by mamalove »

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »
Oh, that's WAY too much!  We buy ours from an asian market, and we pay $11.00 for a case of nine.  Do you have any international stores in town??  They're also now at our local grocery store for about $1.50 each. 

We buy two cases a week, we're a family of six, and we LOVE them.  You can do SO MUCH with coconuts!  Let me know if you want some recipes!

Offline mamalove

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 05:30:07 PM »
Do you buy the box drinks for that price or do you but the actual young white coconuts for that price? 
We also have six in our family and I'm sure the case I ordered won't last long. I live in a rural area and have to drive so far to get goodies like that.  Maybe if I found an Asian market in the city  (2 hours away) when I do go there and stock up on some. 
Yes I would love some recipes.  :)  Thanks...

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 03:48:17 PM »
We buy the young coconuts at that price.  I'm sorry you're so far from town.  If you do go into town, though, the international store usually has the best prices.  We call ahead before we go, and ask for two cases of nine.  They usually have them, and they are fresher than the ones on the shelf.

I have not tried the boxed kind, however, I am part of another group that uses coconuts extensively, and the people that can't get the real ones, use the boxed water, and it is better than nothing. 

Two cases of young coconuts makes about a gallon and a half of water, and about 8-9 cups of coconut meat.  We use the water for kefir and smoothies.  We kefir it by putting about a quart of the water in a glass pitcher, and pouring in about half a packet of kefir starter from whole foods.  It's a little sour, but still tastes pretty good.  My kids will drink it easily!

We use the coconut meat for smoothies and pudding.  Here's a pudding recipe:

2 cups young coconut meat
1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup coconut water
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 packets stevia (or honey or agave nectar to taste)
pinch of sea salt

Place all ingredients in a blender, and blend, blend, blend until it's very smooth.  Chill. 

This is SO YUMMY!  I also use it as a french silk pie filling!  We do have a high powered blender, but we didn't used to.  It can be done in a regular blender, it just takes a LOT of blending. 
You can also change the flavors to vanilla or lemon, by omitting the chocolate powder and adding lemon juice or vanilla to taste.

Good luck!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »
Does any of you know if there is a maximum amount of coconut water you could drink per day? For a 3 yo? My son loves it so much that he always wants it instead of plain water.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 04:44:07 PM »
I'm not sure, but i shared on another post that on Man Vs. the Wild, Bear needed to rehydrate and there wasn't any good water source so he drank coconut water. He said though that you can't drink alot because it will give you diarrhea.
  Anyway- I need to start a "Everything I need to know I learned from the Discovery Channel" thread.
kittyninja

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 08:37:44 AM »
I see. Besides which they're kind of pricey, but I buy by the case. Bump. Anyone else know?
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »
I'm not sure, but i shared on another post that on Man Vs. the Wild, Bear needed to rehydrate and there wasn't any good water source so he drank coconut water. He said though that you can't drink alot because it will give you diarrhea.  Anyway- I need to start a "Everything I need to know I learned from the Discovery Channel" thread.   kittyninja
LOL, kittyninja! :D I wish I had that channel--you have me intrigued by some of their programming! 

Sorry I can't help on RDA of coconut water for a 3 yr. old--until he starts passing it?  Just kidding.  I think.   :-[

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 11:00:28 AM »
Does any of you know if there is a maximum amount of coconut water you could drink per day? For a 3 yo? My son loves it so much that he always wants it instead of plain water.

I have drank lots of it and so has my 2 year old with no ill results.  I don't think their is any danger in drinking as much as you want.  It is really very refreshing and I don't know why it couldn't be counted in your daily water consumption because isn't it just water filtered through the coconut?  I seriously wouldn't worry about it at all.  If I was worried I'd watch for Diareah and back off a little if  things got too loose.

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 02:29:16 PM »
Thank you all.  ;D Believe me, diahrrea is of no concern to us (for DS).

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 07:18:37 AM »
anyone know a cheap place to buy bulk plain coconut water online? (cheap as in LOW to NO shipping)

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 08:17:44 AM »
Right now Amazon has some on special.  $15 off $39 no shipping.  Go to  http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sv_gro_6/002-4840375-5757668?ie=UTF8&node=52129011
It's Vita Coco brand, they have a couple different flavors.  I'm thinking of trying it too.   :)

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »
Right now Amazon has some on special.  $15 off $39 no shipping.  Go to  http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sv_gro_6/002-4840375-5757668?ie=UTF8&node=52129011
It's Vita Coco brand, they have a couple different flavors.  I'm thinking of trying it too.   :)

Wow!  If I did my math right (which is always questionable) that's a pretty good deal.  You have to buy 3 cases of 12 a peice and make sure you enter the cupon code COCONUT4 and mark super saver shipping in the shipping screen but it comes to $1.20 a peice.  I usually pay $1.99 a piece or $1.39 on sale.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
I have an idea for these.  I think I will order them from Amazon and freeze a bunch in popsicle molds.  My older kids don't really like the coconut water but they will eat anything in a popsicle form.  Plus, I can't get them to drink enough water on these hot days and coconut water is perfectly refreshing!
By the way, I have tried that particular brand and it is great!

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 10:42:04 PM »
Thank you!

I'm always looking for new applications for coconuts and their healing benefits.  I will check out the coconut water product.  Right now we offer free shipping with orders over $92.  So I have lots of customers that buy in bulk and share with their family and friends.

Blessings,
Charity
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 01:47:35 AM »
I'm not sure, but i shared on another post that on Man Vs. the Wild, Bear needed to rehydrate and there wasn't any good water source so he drank coconut water. He said though that you can't drink alot because it will give you diarrhea.
  Anyway- I need to start a "Everything I need to know I learned from the Discovery Channel" thread.
kittyninja

LOL! My husband loves that show. He called me in to watch when the guy was usinga  coconut for sun screen. We've been using it (coconut oil) w/ much success. :)

Great info on coconut water here, including a deal. THANKS!!!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 08:12:38 PM »
I get my coconuts at an asian market for about 1.25 for the young ones. I try to get a couple at once and my hubby drains them all for me and than I freeze the water and take it out as needed....freezing it is o.k. right? anyone know?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 02:19:49 AM »
I would think that freezing would be fine. I can't think of anything in the water that it might hurt. Maybe if there were probiotics in it, some of them would die?? But I don't think it would do anything to the vitamins or minerals.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline loolahm3

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 05:39:55 AM »
My hubby has crohn's and is going through a flare up.  Would this stuff increase his diarhea?  Layla

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 06:07:19 AM »
Not in our experience.Although we do not have crohns.I know it is good for getting good minerals and fats.And if you have diarrhea then this is so good to replenish your body with goodness.And tastes so good.I would definitely drink it.Cheapest place to buy it is Asain markets.I pay a dollar each in KS city.(have to buy a case of nine to get that)

(Have you read The Makers Diet?He had crohns and cured himself)

Em

YoopreMama

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 06:10:22 AM »
I second Em.  I think it's good to try, and I thought Jordan Rubin himself recommended it in the book.  ???

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 06:16:06 AM »
I second Em.  I think it's good to try, and I thought Jordan Rubin himself recommended it in the book.  ???

I do not know if he says anything about it I gave my book away.I would not be at all surprised.Young Coconuts are so awesome.And Tasty. ;D

Em

burlsgirl

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 05:37:48 AM »
Where would a gal get a young coconut if there is no asian market in town and the produce guy at Kroger won't remember to check into them?  ;) Is there anywhere online?

Ever since we saw Serene Allison's DVD, we've been wanting to try them.

Thanks,
Em

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 05:42:31 AM »
check out this:

http://www.wiliweld.com/coconuts/purchaseonline.html

Wow they look way to expensive though.

I guess you could take a regular trip to some tropical place and pick them yourself.  ;D

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 05:55:17 AM »
At asian markets they are 1 to 2 dollars. So it would be cheaper to have someone buy them and ship them to you. This time of year would be good.As they need to be cool.

Em