Author Topic: Bellybutton issues with a newborn....could someone please offer opinions?  (Read 50346 times)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
oh ok thank you-it kinda creeped me out. will it go back in on it's on?

nevermind i looked it up and i'm pretty sure that's what it is...a hernia and i don't have to worry about it unless a part of bowel or intestine comes out which is extrememly rare...so the internet says! :D

so now i found out that it isn't a hernia but a umbilical granuloma...actually hubby looked it up. it's a bit of flesh that got pulled up and left behind. it could be attached to the bowels or intestines. in any case it is now very stinky and pusridden so i am taking him to the dr. it is actually bothering him too. this is actually something that DOES need treatment-actually it needs to be removed.
  Thought i'd post this just in case any of your other babes have one of these little friends. i can post a pic if anyone wants to know what i mean by a little pink finger sticking out!
    Treatment is to tie it off and let it die, or silver nitrate, or freezing it like a wart or something. :-\  poor baby
    kittyninja

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Re: Bellybutton issues with a newborn....could someone please offer opinions?
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 05:22:03 AM »
OK, my son is almost 6 months old now.  I just now noticed these little black things attached to the inside of his belly button.  They are each about the size of a quarter of a grain of rice.  He doesn't smell that I can tell.  Should I just leave it alone?  Or maybe get some goldenseal powder or something to put on it?
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 11:00:56 AM »
so now i found out that it isn't a hernia but a umbilical granuloma...actually hubby looked it up. it's a bit of flesh that got pulled up and left behind. it could be attached to the bowels or intestines. in any case it is now very stinky and pusridden so i am taking him to the dr. it is actually bothering him too. this is actually something that DOES need treatment-actually it needs to be removed.
  Thought i'd post this just in case any of your other babes have one of these little friends. i can post a pic if anyone wants to know what i mean by a little pink finger sticking out!
    Treatment is to tie it off and let it die, or silver nitrate, or freezing it like a wart or something. :-\  poor baby
    kittyninja

Put some salt on it and cover it with a piece of gauze- works in 3 days! My son had one. It is perfectly safe!!! Here is a link to site. (way down at the bottom)
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050415/photo.html

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 11:07:25 AM »
OK, my son is almost 6 months old now.  I just now noticed these little black things attached to the inside of his belly button.  They are each about the size of a quarter of a grain of rice.  He doesn't smell that I can tell.  Should I just leave it alone?  Or maybe get some goldenseal powder or something to put on it?

Ya know, I would put something on it, just b/c it's not supposed to be there. I don't know anything about goldenseal powder, but I don't think there's anything wrong w/ trying it, right? If that doesn't work, use GOOT or colloidal silver or epsom salts and see if that helps. I would give it a few days of one treatment, though, before trying something else. But that's JMO.  ;)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2007, 12:00:46 PM »
My son is now almost 7 months. Yesterday hubby noticed his belly button smelled "pus-like". he looked at it and it had pus and was red and irritated. we cleaned it with some warm water but we can't get in there to look to see what the problem is. he's a big boy and don't know if that's giving him a weird belly button or the granuloma he had removed (4 mos ago) or what. but today it's stinky and pus- like again. i cleaned around it with a little peroxide but can't get in there...

any ideas? i've kinda neglected cleaning his belly button since he sits up and i bathe him in the kitchen sink so that's one thought. but maybe something stuck in there irritating it? is peroxide even though i can't see in there. anything else?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2007, 12:19:31 PM »
Sometimes one of mine would have redness and stinky gooey in their belly button.  I just thought it was from their chubbiness.  They were also prone to red, sour folds in their thighs, arms, necks.  Sometimes it was a yeast issue, but sometimes seemed to just be moisture and heat. 

If you could get some peroxide or alcohol into his navel it might dry it up.  But with the granuloma in his history, I wonder if that could be what is happening.   

I'm no help.  Sorry.   ???
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »
Our newborn had some bellybutton issues and I put a few drops of tea tree oil on a Q- tip and cleaned out her belly button with it.  It   help get rid of the redness and swelling.

Blessing's RB
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

cecac

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »
Just had a visit with a dear friend of mine yesterday who has a 5 week old.  The baby's stub had been seeping so she took her to the doctor and the doctor put silver nitrate on it.  That is evidently a stronger antibiotic than Neosporin, which my friend had been using, along with alcohol.

I might try alcohol for the drying affect.  I never used the Neosporin, but maybe a natural antibiotic after the alcohol?  Also, what about GOOT?  Can you use a Q-tip and "get in there" better, and perhaps do it several times a day for a couple of days?

Just some thoughts,
Cara

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2007, 12:46:04 PM »
I got goldenseal powder in my birth kit with my 3rd baby and have used it for 4, 5 and 6 also.  Stump is off in a week or less!
The brand is Wishgarden and I get my kit from In His Hands birth supply in Texas.  You can buy the powder separate from the kit.
It dries and heals both.

YoopreMama

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2007, 01:01:43 PM »
I second the goldenseal powder!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2007, 02:13:39 PM »

I third it!!!!!!! I've cleared up all issues like mentioned above with it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 05:01:26 PM by lotsaboys »

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »
hmmmm now are we still talkin cord stump? cos he don't got that no more! :D the goldenseal powder for the stinky cavernous oh we'll call it a "bellybutton"?

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »
My five week old is the first baby I had used Golden Seal powder with and I had bellybotton issues.   I had read that it was wonderful for to help dry up the cord, but it dried the cord on the outer part and not the inner part.  ( hope that makes sense.)   I finally quick using it and it started looking better and I used the tea tree oil instead.   What did I do wrong?
Blessing's,
  RB

Offline strawberry

• Learning
    • free range press
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »
I'd definitely drop some tea tree down there (although I was told "*never* put it directly on skin"- so I have mine diluted with water in a jelly jar).
mama of 5

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2007, 03:54:46 PM »

I "third" the goldenseal powder.  It can leave a mustard-yellow colored stain on clothes, so we used a piece of gauze over it until it fell off.  With my last baby (now 4 yrs old) I think it was off in 3-5 days.  She has not had any belly button issues.  PTL!

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2007, 05:05:17 PM »
hmmmm now are we still talkin cord stump? cos he don't got that no more! :D the goldenseal powder for the stinky cavernous oh we'll call it a "bellybutton"?

Goldenseal should work for any stinky, pussy, red situation. :)

My five week old is the first baby I had used Golden Seal powder with and I had bellybotton issues.   I had read that it was wonderful for to help dry up the cord, but it dried the cord on the outer part and not the inner part.  ( hope that makes sense.)   I finally quick using it and it started looking better and I used the tea tree oil instead.   What did I do wrong?
Blessing's,
  RB

i would guess that you didn't get it down in deep enough. I learned to lift up the outer part and really shove the goldenseal down in there. It doesn't cause baby any pain and does a great job.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2007, 01:44:54 AM »

Goldenseal should work for any stinky, pussy, red situation. :)

Blessing's,
  RB

i would guess that you didn't get it down in deep enough. I learned to lift up the outer part and really shove the goldenseal down in there. It doesn't cause baby any pain and does a great job.

Thats probably what went wrong, as I was only putting the golden seal pwd. on the outside area of the cord. 

Offline berthday

• Adept
Baby's cord started bleeding a little today..he is 11 days old. I have been using alcohol ( didn't know about any thing else till I came on here today) and it is still really attached. The goldenseal powder ya'll have been talking about , is it just a capsule of goldenseal and open it up and sprinkle it on?? Sounds pretty good to me , just wanted to make sure I understand that it is not something made specifically for cord care, just plain goldenseal. Thanks
By the way, welltellme is priceless!!!!!

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
berthday...did something happen like the cord got pulled or somethiing? The umbilical cord not healing or bleeding could be an indication of a rare problem. I'm sure it's just a stubborn cord though!
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline berthday

• Adept
berthday...did something happen like the cord got pulled or somethiing? The umbilical cord not healing or bleeding could be an indication of a rare problem. I'm sure it's just a stubborn cord though!

No, not that I know of. Of course it could have gotten irritated by the pamper.?

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
The cord got rubbed off too soon with my 3rd. I had read about the signs to look for if things got infected...we had nearly all of them. :-\  :P ??? Soooooo, I got my co. silver out and put several drops on the bellybutton area. Within the hour (left the area free of clothing, diapers etc...rolled down the diaper) the red and warm areas were gone, and things were looking so much better! I put a drop on it every day and sunned him as I was able. We never had to take him to the doctor, because of this and he's 4 months old now and things are just fine.
Happyhomemaker :)

YoopreMama

Berthday--

Sounds like what we've encountered.

I've used both--opened goldenseal capsules and sprinkled, as well as a special cord care goldenseal powder.  They both worked the same.  Are you using a Q-tip and really working the alcohol in?

Congratulations!  ;D

Offline jenstar

• Adept
My last baby is the only one who had any belly button issues - I think because he was so big (9lbs, 3 oz) - It just didn't get any air tucked into all those rolls ;D. I just made sure I washed it well, I put a drop or two of lavender oil in his bath, and then I dried it with a Q-tip (really good) and left his sleeper undone in the middle to let it dry out. Any weepy sore needs AIR to dry out.

I have never tried golden seal but will in the future!

Offline berthday

• Adept
Thanks Yooper!
Yes I have been working in the alcohol real well with a Q-tip. It just seems to be taking a long time. I'm ready for that first "real" bath. ;)

Offline all4him

• Adept
My daughter is 5 now, so it's a little fuzzy in my memory, but i had issues with her belly button too. If i remember correctly it took almost 10 weeks for the last of her button to come off! I was about to despair, but i have such a neat midwife, and she really helped me out! She said the baby had a thicker cord then normal? And so a part of it fell off, and she tied the rest of it really tight with a string-- I'm thinkin we did this 3 times! To this day her belly button has an extra little button inside.. I think it's unique! :D
The Joy of the Lord is my Strength!

Offline berthday

• Adept
Today I took ds to his 2 week check up and Dr. said that his cord was thicker than normal and it will take a while for it to fall off. So, when I got home  I opened up a capsule of goldenseal root and dumped it on his cord and then took a Q-tip and packed it in there good. Do I need to worry about the strong smell for baby and also will it dry out his tummy around his cord where some got on it?

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
I apologize for not taking the time to read this entire thread.  I have read some though.    I read that you were putting alcohol on the bellly button.  My midwife with the last pregnancy, and the one up here in Oh both say that alcohol is a type of preservative (not the food, lol), and never to use it on the chord, it will make it take for-e-ver to fall off.  With my first child, there started to be a smell from the belly button, and I broke down and used alcohol.  Then the drying process was slowed down considerably.  I was sweetly chastised by my midwife, and used the goldenseal instead, and his chord fell off really fast.  A friend who had her baby before mine, called to ask what she should do, since her child's wasn't anywhere near falling off.  She had been using alcohol.  I gave her the goldenseal, and his dried up quickly too. 
     My second son's chord fell of quickly, and I didn't use any alcohol.  I've heard from plenty of moms that used alcohol and that didn't, that used natural methods, and from those that didn't, say that a little bit of bleeding, and smell is actually common and normal.  Didn't have bleeding this time.  Midwife said the smell is just the chord decaying.  Also keep in mind that the baby isn't supposed to feel the chord or feel pain from it.  I'm sure everyone knows that.  I did have a little crying jag with my first one when I saw his belly button bleeding.  Hope this helps

Today I took ds to his 2 week check up and Dr. said that his cord was thicker than normal and it will take a while for it to fall off. So, when I got home  I opened up a capsule of goldenseal root and dumped it on his cord and then took a Q-tip and packed it in there good. Do I need to worry about the strong smell for baby and also will it dry out his tummy around his cord where some got on it?
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline joyfulmarmee28

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2010, 01:48:46 AM »
My 7 week old baby has a small granuloma on her bellybutton. My midwife didn't seem worried about it, and didn't tell me that i needed to do anything about it.
However I just had a child health nurse visit to weigh her and she told me i need to go to the Dr to get some silver nitrate put on it (or it would keep growing). I just looked that up- doesn't sound very nice. Does any one know if it is actually SAFE?? Any other suggestions to use- do I actually NEED to use anything? Anyone else dealt with this?
THANKS

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
I had a granuloma on my thumb, and have dealt with it some in animals. Granulomas do sometimes spontaneously heal from what I've read, but so far I've not found any natural cures. They can be VERY painful, and grow erratically. On a belly button I would want to know that it wasn't growing internally and adherring to internal organs.

As for silver nitrate....I'm not a huge fan of the ingested, inhaled, or prolonged external treatment with silver because it does need to be detoxified out of the body, and the systems for doing so aren't really designed for heavy levels of excretion.
However, I wouldn't mind using silver nitrate in a situation like this, even for a newborn with low body weight. It seems perfectly safe in this application. There may be other options for freezing or burning off the granulation tissue. The doctor I applied to for help with my granuloma used canned nitrogen and sent me home with a few silver nitrate sticks to touch up any cells that might have been missed around the edges.
 Occasionally the tissue is still excised, but freezing or burning is actually preferable as it doesn't leave you with an open wound. Excision is more painful, I tried and it was ...bad.  :o

No matter what method is chosen, removing granulomas can be painful. I don't know if they would use a anesthetic for a baby or not. They just let held me still and let me deal with it.  :D I've found that relief is just a few hours away though. Once the granulation tissue is gone and the immediate pain of treatment is past it heals quickly without much further pain.

Offline joyfulmarmee28

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2010, 02:02:57 AM »
Thank you for your reply boysmama.

Any one else dealt with this? Or have some thoughts to add?

My 7 week old baby has a small granuloma on her bellybutton.