Author Topic: HELP: Can HIVES appear the next morning?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline hollyeskimo

• Learning
HELP: Can HIVES appear the next morning?
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:06:01 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with hives? 

My son went to bed and slept fine until around 6:30am.  He woke up crying and vomited several times.  After the second time of vomiting, he broke out in a very itchy, red case of HIVES!!  Could something he ate the night before take that long to react in his system?  I thought when people had an allergic reaction to food, they would react within a few hours?!! ???

He has never had hives before.  The only thing I can think of that he ate that could be a problem is some all natural sorbet (raspberry, mango, black cherry)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: HELP: Can HIVES appear the next morning?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with hives? 

My son went to bed and slept fine until around 6:30am.  He woke up crying and vomited several times.  After the second time of vomiting, he broke out in a very itchy, red case of HIVES!!  Could something he ate the night before take that long to react in his system?  I thought when people had an allergic reaction to food, they would react within a few hours?!! ???

He has never had hives before.  The only thing I can think of that he ate that could be a problem is some all natural sorbet (raspberry, mango, black cherry)

Absolutely.  A food reaction can be short term (within 3hrs) or up to 72hrs.  Depending on which allergic food my son might get, his reaction times will vary.  Gluten and dairy are immediate (within 3hrs) reactions.  Others like tomatoes, potatoes, etc. tend to be more like a day or two later.  Since the three things you mentioned are not likely (they can be - but they're less likely to be allergens), you should look back at dinner, lunch and breakfast from yesterday and see if he had any of the big offenders that are usually hive related.  Gluten, dairy, nightshades, etc. 

patti

For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.