Author Topic: Bellybutton issues with a newborn....could someone please offer opinions?  (Read 50342 times)

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
Her cord thingy fell off monday.  It has bled a little, but nothing major.  It looks fine until you pull down the skin at the bottom and theres a gaping hole where the skin hasn't grown together and you can still see a place that looks like the remenents of her cord.  it's rather gross. Is this something to worry about and if not, how long will it take to grow together?  I'm pretty sure it isn't a hernia, but out of 4 kids, I've never experienced this.

worried,
4lilkeepers

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
Do you put something on it regularly?  like alcohol?  ??

And do you have access to a digital camera?  If some of the ladies on here could actually see it, they could probably tell you what to do. 

Missi 

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
I wouldn't put alcohol on it. If it is a hole, the alcohol would go into her system. From what I have heard, it is not safe internally. Even if it doesn't go into her system, it would dry out the skin and cause infection if used often. (this happened to my 2nd baby)

Is it a hole like, Can you see into her belly? One of mine had leftover umbilical cord stuff after the stump fell off. Maybe it just needs time to dry up and heal. You could just keep it clean with water (if it is a hole, I wouldn't use anything but water) maybe a drop of colloidal silver. Have you cleaned it real good with a q-tip? Let the area get plenty of air...

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
We've had excellent results using golden seal powder! Some of my babies's cords fell off as soon as 3 days and never had a problem with infection or bleeding. I learned it helped to not be afraid to lift it up as far as I could to get the powder down in as deep as I could, like in the "hole" you mentioned. It will not give baby any pain.

HTH!

Offline joeswife

• Adept
    • Jumping on the bed.
I second the golden seal powder! When I have used rubbing alcohol it seems to stay wet. The powder dries it out.

The main thing to look out for is any signs of infection...(like:yellow puss)

I don't think it is anything to worry about, just keep an eye on it.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
One of my boy's belly button hole withdrew in his belly before the stub really healed. It just didn't get a chance to dry out.( Even though it is probably not the best) I would swab it at every diaper change w/ a qtip dipped in alchohol. I gently spread the belly button area to get the raw area as high as possible and then loosely packed the area with coarse gauze to allow that area to breathe and dry out. After that it took only a few days to get it healed over.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
I read something about using diluted garlic juice to keep it from getting infected. Maybe a few drops mixed with olive oil would help it heal up.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline JVasquez

• Wide Eyed
Witch hazel is best to be used to dry it up. It worked better then alcohol because it doens't sting. But only try to dry it up if part of the chord is still there. If you think it's an opening into the abdominal wall you should go to your midwife or doctor.

Offline blackbird

• Adept
My last baby had this.  He is 10 months now.  I just kept it clean and tried not to panic ( I am a mom).  It would leave blood stains in the diaper for a few weeks before it finally stopped and healed up completely.  It got kind of gross looking ..a lillte crusty even.  I think it is okay as long as it is not seeping or bleeding a lot and doesn't look infected.  Hang in there and use your best instict.  My first 2 had no belly button issues like this. 

Rachel
Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

Offline kenj

• Learning
    • PreschoolersandPeace
Just had our seventh on the 3rd!  We've loved using Wish Garden Cord Care Powder, available from homebirth suppliers.  It has grape root powder as well as goldenseal.

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Ok, my son will be 4 weeks on Tuesday and his stump hasn't fallen off yet.  It started smelling today, but I'm not sure if it's because it's infected or because it's hung on so long.  It doesn't even look like it's going to fall off for at least another week or so.  The Dr said he has a hernia.  I clean the stump every diaper change with alcohol, making sure I lift it up and get up under the black part.  Sometimes the stump seems to go into his belly button hole, so I have to pull on it a little to swab under it, when I do it pulls what looks like leftover cord out.  I was thinking he's going to have an outie.   ???  Can I get goldenseal powder at the HFS?  I've never dealt with this before as all my other kids' cords fell off no later than the two week mark and none of them had hernias.  TIA for any advice.
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
bump  ;)
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
I don't know what to tell you about the long time that the cord is staying on.  Some of my 5 children's cords stayed on longer than I thought they should, up to around 3 1/2 or 4 for one of them.  All different rates of healing, I suppose.
You can get goldenseal at the hfs, in capsules which you can then open and put a little around the stump.  This would probably help, if infection is present. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
My son's cord didn't fall off until almost 6 weeks! It didn't really have a whole under it or anything, I just couldn't believe how  long it took! I used alcohol (this was pre-WTM days) on it regularly. But... when it first fell off, it looked "outtie-ish," with a little ball in the center of the indentation. Now he is 19 months and it is just a perfect little innie belly button, not that outties can't be perfect too!

Just my experience...
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Goldenseal is very easy to find- even Wal-Mart has it. I think that should do the trick for you- I love that stuff for belly buttons!

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
Goldenseal is very easy to find- even Wal-Mart has it. I think that should do the trick for you- I love that stuff for belly buttons!

Yes, I agree!  It is at WalMart, I was just there the other day.  It does work great for belly button cords....I used it on my last baby and it fell off in 3 days.  One word of advice, if you don't want to stain the onesie or little outfit you have them in, you may want to put a piece of gauze (cut in little squares) over it, otherwise it does leave a little stain.
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Good point. I have some stained onesies I use exclusively until the cord is off.  THEN I can use my nice, white ones. :)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
my 4 wk old still has seepage from his button and you can see in bit...no infection just goopy brown stuff :-X. anyways, you think it would be ok to give him a bath in water or should i just keep sponge bathing him?

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
my 4 wk old still has seepage from his button and you can see in bit...no infection just goopy brown stuff :-X. anyways, you think it would be ok to give him a bath in water or should i just keep sponge bathing him?
My third child didn't lose his cord until he was 6 weeks old.  I gave him a couple of regular baths and just made sure I used alcohol on the stump afterward to dry any moisture from the bath.  I still gave him sponge baths between regular baths to keep from getting the stump wet too often.  HTH
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
ok he already lost his cord..ok it was premamturely ripped off (not be me but an accident) and it's just weird that it is "open" i mean the hole...

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Keep it dry and clean 'til it heals in there (that's what my pediatrician said).
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Same thing for us.....mine has a hernia though.  His stump fell off yesterday and he has this goopy stuff sticking out with the hernia.  I was wondering if that was normal and if I should continue the alcohol, but it's my understanding that the hernia is a small hole in his belly and I shouldn't use alcohol??   ???  At least it doesn't smell as bad as it did.   :P
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Josiah's had goop and it smelled. I never put alcohol on it. I used H2O2 and a Q-tip to gently clean it. I just put a little on with one end of the Q-tip and then cleaned it 'til dry with the other end (or as many Q-tips as I needed). I tried not to go too deep just stayed around the surface as best I could. And twice I used an herbal decoction to do the same.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
I was well advised not to put alcohol on the little belly button at any time.  "It preserves the chord" my midwife told me,and gave me gold bond.  My son's umbilical chord fell off in a few days, and my friend who'd had her baby a few days before mine called me a week later (her baby was now TEN days old!) to ask how my child's belly button was doing, and then when I told her, she asked to borrow some gold bond.  Her child was 3 days older than mine and she'd been applying alcohol--like her doc said.  I don't know if that particular powder was a good thing.  I didn't have time to research it then.  Now, my child's button did start to smell like decay and even bled a little.  I, of course in my post pardom state, called my midwife and a friend in a bit of a panic who both told me it was totally normal and just keep it clean.   The baby never even cried when I swabbed the area, and the whole ordeal didn't last more than a day.  ANyway, hope it helps.
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline nexis777

• Adept
I was also told by my mid-wife not to use alcohol. She said the bacteria that grows on the umbilical cord is what helps it fall off and heal faster. The alcohol kills the bacteria, so it's essentially like making the umbilical cord hang there longer than it's supposed to. God made our bodies to naturally detach the cord without any help  from us. The alcohol slows down that natural process. Made sense to me. My first born, I used the alcohol on (Dr's recommendation) and it took 10 days or so to fall off. My daughter I did not use the alcohol on and it fell off in like 3 days. I was shocked!! It may bleed a tidge, but it's just fine. Keep it clean with water and  you'll be amazed how quickly it's over and done with!

Offline natural

• Adept
Andrew's cord fell off after two weeks...I was using alcohol. There was some goopy tan sticky stuff on a part of the button...Dr said it was some residual cord still not fallen off...it is now disappearing and never had an odor. Just thought I would offer that.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
ok now the belly button has something pink sticking out of it. still leaking brown stuff and stinking but something else is popping out! ??? 

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Sounds like a hernia to me.   :-\  My 6 wk old has an umbilical hernia, but it seems to be going away.  It looks like the tip of a little finger when it pokes out and it is pink. 
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
oh ok thank you-it kinda creeped me out. will it go back in on it's on?

nevermind i looked it up and i'm pretty sure that's what it is...a hernia and i don't have to worry about it unless a part of bowel or intestine comes out which is extrememly rare...so the internet says! :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:22:43 PM by kittyninja »

Offline lorikschaff

• Wide Eyed
I used goldenseal powder sprinkled all around the cord stub at every diaper change.  The cord dried up in 3-5 days.  It stains though.