Author Topic: Liver Function  (Read 91374 times)

YoopreMama

Liver Function
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:08:45 AM »
I would like to learn more about the liver.   ;D

I've been through various cleanses, detoxification programs, supplements, etc. They have all brought some benefit over the years.

However, I am currently going through a comprehensive, itchy rash, the likes of which I've never seen.  I think it's a detox rash...a sign that my liver is finally getting healthier.

I have battled eczema for the better part of my 34 years, and I think it's due to being placed on antibiotics at birth (e. coli meningitis), and then for various ear infections (I was not breastfed), which necessitated more antibiotics.  Then came years of corticosteroidal creams...add to that, probably Candida and years of eating junk food with dyes, artificial whatevers, and sugars.  So, behold: Toxic YooperMama.   :(

My 1st big clue was developing pre-eclampsia in '99 w/ my 1st child (after going through some painful constipation a year prior to that--imagine going to ER for the worst pain in your life and essentially being told, "You're full of cr*p.").   :-[ ::) :o ;)  My body was trying to tell me something but I didn't get it, still, for awhile...not until I started getting healthier in '01 w/ PG #2. Read Dr. Gary Null and starting thinking about what I ate and how it affected me.   :o

Anyway....after 5 1/2 years of transitioning to a more healthful, natural way of living, I have come to this rash and the LIVER.   :P  I have recently done a Master Cleanse as well as a Liver Flush...that and oil pulling, seem to be helping my liver work better, thus THE RASH.   :o

I've benefited so much from WTM threads on eczema, fungal-bacteria, cleanses, etc. Thank you to all who share their experiences, ideas, trials  and victories!   :-*

Now I want to start sharing what we all know/find out about the liver.  :)  Here's something from Dr. Sandra Cabot (The Liver Doctor) on her website:

http://www.liverdoctor.com/help/faq/category.asp?id=62
Where is my liver?
It is situated in the upper right abdominal and lower right thoracic area. This is known in medical terms as the right hypochondrium. The upper margin of the liver lies between the fifth and sixth ribs, and its lower margin can sometimes normally be felt below the right rib cage if you breath in deeply. In those with some forms of liver disease or fatty liver, the enlargement of the liver can easily be felt extending below the right rib cage. The liver is divided into a right and left section, which are called lobes. The liver is the largest and hardest working organ in the body. The liver is such an important organ that it has two sources of blood supply, namely the hepatic artery and the portal vein. The portal vein drains the blood from the gastrointestinal tract and spleen, back to the liver, which is why we can say that the liver is the gateway to the body. 

http://www.liverdoctor.com/02_liverdetox.asp
The Liver and Detoxification

More than ever before in the history of mankind, human beings need to have healthy livers to break down the chemicals that have crept into our environment. If you talk to radiologists and gastroenterologists who are looking at people's livers today they will tell you that the condition "Fatty Liver" affects more than 50% of people over the age of 50!

Common causes are incorrect diet, excessive alcohol intake, adverse reactions to drugs and toxic chemicals, and viral hepatitis. Dr. Cabot believes it is because modern-day medicine has become sidetracked into treating the symptoms of diseases and not the causes. Excess weight is a symptom of liver dysfunction and not solely due to the number of calories you consume.

We have been attacking the symptoms of weight excess with fad diets, obsessional high impact aerobics, stomach stapling and toxic drugs, such as appetite suppressants, laxatives and diuretics. We have failed to consider the underlying cause of LIVER DYSFUNCTION and indeed we have virtually ignored the hardest-working organ in the body, with dire consequences.

The liver is the gateway to the body and in this chemical age its detoxification systems are easily overloaded. Thousands of chemicals are added to food and over 700 have been identified in drinking water. Plants are sprayed with toxic chemicals, animals are injected with potent hormones and antibiotics and a significant amount of our food is genetically engineered, processed, refined, frozen and cooked. All this can lead to destruction of delicate vitamins and minerals, which are needed for the detoxification pathways in the liver. The liver must try to cope with every toxic chemical in our environment, as well as damaged fats that are present in processed and fried foods.

The Liver Filter
The liver is the cleanser and filter of the blood stream and is of vital importance. It is the largest organ in the body and has an enormous amount of blood flowing through it every minute of our lives. It is between 21 - 22.5 cm in its greatest diameter, 15 - 17.5cm in its greatest height and 10 - 12.5 cm in its depth, weighing around 1200 - 1600 gms

A Normal Healthy Liver
What are the functions of the liver?

• It is responsible for the production of bile which is stored in the gallbladder and released when required for the digestion of fats.
• The liver stores glucose in the form of glycogen which is converted back to glucose again when needed for energy.
• It also plays an important role in the metabolism of protein and fats. It stores the vitamins A, D, K, B12 and folate and synthesizes blood clotting factors.
• Another important role is as a detoxifier, breaking down or transforming substances like ammonia, metabolic waste, drugs, alcohol and chemicals, so that they can be excreted. These may also be referred to as "xenobiotic" chemicals. If we examine the liver under a microscope, we will see rows of liver cells separated by spaces which act like a filter or sieve, through which the blood stream flows. The liver filter is designed to remove toxic matter such as dead cells, microorganisms, chemicals, drugs and particulate debris from the blood stream. The liver filter is called the sinusoidal system, and contains specialized cells known as Kupffer cells which ingest and breakdown toxic matter.

The liver filter can remove a wide range of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites from the blood stream, which is highly desirable, as we certainly do not want these dangerous things building up in the blood stream and invading the deeper parts of the body. Infections with parasites often come from the contaminated water supplies found in large cities, and indeed other dangerous organisms may find their way into your gut and blood stream from these sources. This can cause chronic infections and poor health, so it is important to protect your liver from overload with these microorganisms. The safest thing to do is boil your water for at least 5 minutes, or drink only bottled water that has been filtered and sterilized. High loads of unhealthy microorganisms can also come from eating foods that are prepared in conditions of poor hygiene by persons who are carrying bacteria, viruses or parasites on their skin. Foods, especially meats that are not fresh or are preserved, also contain a higher bacterial load, which will overwork the liver filter if they are eaten regularly.

Recently, it has become very fashionable for people to detoxify their bodies by various means, such as fasting or cleansing the bowels with fiber mixtures. Fasting can by its extreme nature, only be a temporary method of cleansing the body of waste products, and for many people causes an excessively rapid release of toxins which can cause unpleasant, acute symptoms. The liver filter, like any filter, needs to be cleansed regularly, and it is much easier and safer to do it everyday. This is easily and pleasantly achieved by adopting a daily eating pattern that maintains the liver filter in a healthy clean state. By following the methods and guidelines on this site, you will be able to keep the liver filter healthy and clean. Although it is important to keep the intestines moving regularly and to sweep their walls with high fiber and living foods, it is important to remember that the bowels are really a channel of elimination and not a cleansing organ per se. In other words the bowels cannot cleanse, filter or remove toxic wastes from the blood stream.

It is only the liver that can purify the blood stream and we only have one liver.

http://www.liverdoctor.com/03_detoxpathways.asp
The Liver Detoxification Pathways

Inside the liver cells there are sophisticated mechanisms that have evolved over millions of years to break down toxic substances. Every drug, artificial chemical, pesticide and hormone, is broken down (metabolized) by enzyme pathways inside the liver cells. Many of the toxic chemicals that enter the body are fat-soluble, which means they dissolve only in fatty or oily solutions and not in water. This makes them difficult for the body to excrete. Fat soluble chemicals have a high affinity for fat tissues and cell membranes, which are made of fatty substances. In these fatty parts of the body, toxins may be stored for years, being released during times of exercise, stress or fasting. During the release of these toxins, symptoms such as headaches, poor memory, stomach pain, nausea, fatigue, dizziness and palpitations may occur.

The body's primary defense against metabolic poisoning is carried out by the liver. The liver has two mechanisms designed to convert fat-soluble chemicals into water soluble chemicals so that they may then be easily excreted from the body via watery fluids such as bile and urine.

Toxic Overload
If the phase one and two detoxification pathways become overloaded, there will be a build up of toxins in the body. Many of these toxins are fat soluble and incorporate themselves into fatty parts of the body where they may stay for years, if not for a lifetime. The brain and the endocrine (hormonal) glands are fatty organs, and are common sites for fat-soluble toxins to accumulate. This may result in symptoms of brain dysfunction and hormonal imbalances, such as infertility, breast pain, menstrual disturbances, adrenal gland exhaustion and early menopause. Many of these chemicals (eg. pesticides, petrochemicals) are carcinogenic and have been implicated in the rising incidence of many cancers.

Rarely does anyone think about the liver, which seems incredible to me because it is such a powerful organ and is easily improved. Indeed the simplest and most effective way to cleanse the blood stream and thus take the load off the immune system is by improving liver function.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:14:51 PM by YooperMama »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Liver Function
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 04:58:02 AM »
This is VERY good, yoopermama!!  I agree that information on the liver is extremely important.  I had a friend that died from liver cancer in her late 30's.  A few weeks before her passing, she told me that she believed the liver was the most important organ in your body and that I need to take care of mine. 
I believe that it is one of the most important organs in the body and we should all learn its functions and proper cleansing.  Thanks for sharing all this!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 05:10:36 AM »
I would have to agree with the importance of the liver.  As I have been researching how to best deal with my diabetes, epilepsy, and all the things that come with them (a lot of cleaning needs to be done), I have found over and over that "all things lead to..." the liver.  If I don't take care of my liver, all the other things I deal with will likely be recurring problems.  The other thing I've found as I research is that if I take care of my liver first, the other problems will be easier to take care of. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 05:20:57 AM »
My NP Dr. told me that my liver is now functioning at 100%, but last Sept. it was functioning at 36%. It was shut down! The cause, or shall we say the nail in the coffin, literally, was diflucan to try to get rid of a 6 month yeast infection. My OBYGN Dr. had me taking diflucan every other day and it killed all the good in my body and shut down my liver. My liver was already stressed from the yeast, which was caused by the chemicals toxicity, which was caused by earlier antibiotics of which was sulfur. Get the picture. God has made us so fearfully and wonderfully made. Everything is dependent on a domino effect.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 05:23:21 AM »
My NP Dr. told me that my liver is now functioning at 100%, but last Sept. it was functioning at 36%. It was shut down!

Just out of curiosity, how did your NP measure this?  Sounds interesting.

YoopreMama

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 07:21:48 AM »
I am so excited about the responses want to hear more!   :D

Makingchanges, I'm curious, too, how your liver functioning was measured?  This link talks about liver tests:  http://www.liverfoundation.org/db/articles/1077; I'm particularly interested since I have an appointment Friday w/ a dermatologist.  I'd like to know if there's any test I can request.  My SIL is on Diflucan for yeast often and her skin has been awful!  Then they put her on an antibiotic...She has Down Syndrome so she can't articulate how miserable I suspect she is.   :(

Katidid, My hope, too, is in taking care of the liver and my other troubles departing!

HinO, How sad to have a friend so young die of liver cancer.   :(  What an impression that's made.

Here is some more stuff I dug up:

http://www.liverfoundation.org/db/articles/1021

TROUBLE SIGNS...
Here are some signs of liver trouble. If you experience any of these symptoms, please contact your doctor:

36. Yellow discoloration of the skin or eyes.

37. Abdominal swelling or severe abdominal pain.

38. Prolonged itching of the skin.

39. Very dark urine or pale stools-, or the passage of bloody or tar-like stools.

40. Chronic fatigue, nausea or loss of appetite.

http://www.liverfoundation.org/db/articles/1037

Hi... I'm Your Liver!  Let me tell you how much I love you.   :-* :-* :-*

I store the iron reserves you need, as well as a lot of vitamins and other minerals.  Without me, you wouldn't have the strength to carry on!

I make bile to help digest your food.  Without me, you'd waste away to nothing.

I detoxify poisonous chemicals you give me, and that includes alcohol, beer, wine and drugs - prescribed and over-the-counter as well as illegal substances.
Without me, your "bad" habits would kill you.

I store energy, like a battery, by stockpiling sugar (carbohydrates, glucose and fat) until you need it.  Without me, the sugar level in your blood could fall dramatically and you'd go into a coma.

Let's face it! You couldn't have gotten out of bed this morning if I weren't on the job.

I make the blood that got your system going even before you were born.
Without me, you wouldn't be here!

I manufacture new proteins that your body needs to stay healthy and grow.
Without me, you wouldn't grow properly!

I remove poisons from the air, exhaust, smoke and chemicals you breathe.
Without me, you'd be poisoned by pollutants!

I make clotting factors that stop the bleeding when you nick yourself shaving or paring an apple.  Without me, you'd bleed to death!

I help defend you against the "germ warfare" going on in your body all the time. I take those cold germs, flu bugs and other germs you encounter, and knock 'em dead - or at least weaken them.  Without me, you'd be a sitting duck for every infection known to man.

That's how much I love you... but do you love me?  Let me tell you some easy ways to love your liver:

Don't drown me in beer, alcohol or wine!  Even one drink is too much for some people and could scar me for life.

Watch those drugs!   All drugs are chemicals, and when you mix them up without a doctor's advice you could create something poisonous that could damage me badly. I scar easily.. and those scars, called "cirrhosis" are permanent.  Medicine is sometimes necessary. But taking pills when they aren't necessary is a bad habit. All those chemicals can really hurt a liver.

Be careful with aerosol sprays!   Remember, I have to detoxify what you breathe in, too. So when you go on a cleaning binge with aerosol cleaners, make sure the room is ventilated, or wear a mask. That goes double for bug sprays, mildew sprays, paint sprays and all those other chemical sprays you use. Be careful what you breathe!

Watch what gets on your skin! Those insecticides you put on trees and shrubs not only kill bugs they can get to me right through your skin and destroy my cells, too. Remember they're all chemicals.  Cover your skin with gloves, long sleeves, a hat and mask everytime insecticides are in the air or if you're handling them.

I make the cholesterol your body needs, and I try to make the right amount.
Give me a break Eat a good, well balanced nourishing diet. If you eat the right stuff for me, I'll really do my stuff for you!

WARNING:
I can't, and won't, tell you I'm in trouble until I'm almost at the end of my rope... and yours.  Remember: I am a non-complainer. Overloading me with drugs, alcohol and other junk can destroy me! This may be the only warning you will ever get.  Take My Advice, Please!

Check me out with your doctor.  Blood screening tests can identify some trouble. So ask to be tested.  If I'm soft and smooth, that's good. If I'm hard and bumpy, that could mean trouble.  If your doctor suspects trouble, ULTRA SOUND and CAT scans can look into it.  Sometimes a needle biopsy is needed to find out how many scars you've given me. Nobody likes needles, so don't let me get into such bad shape.

My life, and yours, depends on how you treat me.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 09:09:22 AM by YooperMama »

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:09:14 AM »
My NP Dr. told me that my liver is now functioning at 100%, but last Sept. it was functioning at 36%. It was shut down! The cause, or shall we say the nail in the coffin, literally, was diflucan to try to get rid of a 6 month yeast infection. My OBYGN Dr. had me taking diflucan every other day and it killed all the good in my body and shut down my liver. My liver was already stressed from the yeast, which was caused by the chemicals toxicity, which was caused by earlier antibiotics of which was sulfur. Get the picture. God has made us so fearfully and wonderfully made. Everything is dependent on a domino effect.

My doctor had me taking diflucan for a couple weeks.  What were the symptomss that you had that there were problems with your liver.  What did you do to fix it?  I wonder if I should be doing something different.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 08:19:41 AM »
I found a site called:  Liver Function Tests.
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000446/

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 08:40:34 AM »
TROUBLE SIGNS...
Here are some signs of liver trouble. If you experience anyof these symptoms, please contact your doctor:

36. Yellow discoloration of the skin or eyes.

37. Abdominal swelling or severe abdominal pain.

38. Prolonged itching of the skin.

39. Very dark urine or pale stools-, or the passage of bloody or tar-like stools.

40. Chronic fatigue, nausea or loss of appetite.

OK, my son had EVERY ONE of those symptoms last week. But now he seems to have evened out and gotten better. His skin is clearer than it has been in months. If these symptoms stop, would a trip to the doc :P still be prudent? I'd much rather deal with things myself.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 08:41:48 AM »
I'm really interested in this topic!  My dad's family has a terrible health history.  Almost all of his cousins (and him) have had to have their gall bladders removed.  A couple of them have major liver problems.  One of his cousins had to have a liver transplant.  They almost all have some type of digestive problem, like IBS and uclers.  I'm wondering what you can do repair the liver.  I'm planning on doing a liver flush.  And I've been drinking dandelion and milk thistle tea every now and then (but probably not often enough!).  With my kids having so many food allergies, I've also been giving them the "liver tea" every now and then.  My son has had the "tar poop" mentioned above.  And my other son is constantly itching all over.  But neither one of them are yellow or anything.  I thought about trying some enzymes on them.  Anyway, can't wait to see what other great info comes up!  ;D

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 09:15:12 AM »
OK, my son had EVERY ONE of those symptoms last week. But now he seems to have evened out and gotten better. His skin is clearer than it has been in months. If these symptoms stop, would a trip to the doc :P still be prudent? I'd much rather deal with things myself.

If those symptoms stopped, I don't think I would visit the doc. 

I'm only keeping my appt. w/ a dermatologist b/c it was made 6 months ago and I'm curious to see what she says.  Heard good things about her.  She certainly studied more than I on this topic--I'm hoping she studied the right things--TRUTH!  :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:28:22 AM »
I'm really interested in this topic!  My dad's family has a terrible health history.  Almost all of his cousins (and him) have had to have their gall bladders removed.  A couple of them have major liver problems.  One of his cousins had to have a liver transplant.  They almost all have some type of digestive problem, like IBS and uclers.  I'm wondering what you can do repair the liver.  I'm planning on doing a liver flush.  And I've been drinking dandelion and milk thistle tea every now and then (but probably not often enough!).  With my kids having so many food allergies, I've also been giving them the "liver tea" every now and then.  My son has had the "tar poop" mentioned above.  And my other son is constantly itching all over.  But neither one of them are yellow or anything.  I thought about trying some enzymes on them.  Anyway, can't wait to see what other great info comes up!  ;D
abbilynn

WOW--what a history! I can see why you're interested in this.  I am, too...not so much b/c of the family history, but b/c I've exhausted my other options.  The liver seems like the origin of many problems.  Here's some more general stuff I found:

www.liverdoctor.com/Section2/07_liverdysfunction.asp
Liver Disease

The liver has everything to do with how we live, that’s why it is called the LIVEr. The state of your liver will have a huge bearing upon how well you live, how long you will live and how you will look and feel.

In today's world, the liver has to work harder than ever before, and all over the world we find that liver problems are increasing. Globally, one in every ten persons suffers with some type of liver, bile duct or gall bladder disease. Liver cancer is one of the most common cancers in men and has a poor outlook.

350 million people worldwide suffer from hepatitis B which kills more than 2 million annually. Hepatitis C is the most rapidly spreading infectious disease in many countries and is a time bomb waiting to explode. These problems are increasing, and thousands of people are waiting anxiously for liver transplants that many of them will never be lucky enough to receive. There are 25 million Americans with liver disease with thousands waiting for liver transplants. Unfortunately there are not nearly enough donor livers to meet the ever-increasing demand and so more than ever the message is that we need to take care of our livers from an early age. Thankfully nutritional medicine has been able to give many people with liver disease, from hepatitis B and C, to auto-immune disease, a healthy normally functioning liver. It is never too late as the liver has remarkable powers of healing and regeneration.

A number of diseases can affect the liver such as acute and chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis and tumors. The underlying causes of these disease states include viral infections like hepatitis A, B and C alcohol, drugs, metabolic disorders and immunological factors. Chronic liver disease passes through a long period of minimal vague symptoms until the final stages of jaundice and mental confusion appear.

Liver Dysfunction
This is different to liver disease in that the liver has not yet sustained permanent or sufficient damage to cause gross impairment of its vital functions. In those with a dysfunctional liver, the routine blood tests of liver function are generally normal. A dysfunctional liver is not working efficiently, and is overloaded, toxic or sluggish. Liver dysfunction is much more common than liver disease, and may be a forerunner to liver disease. In my experience of over 20 years of clinical medicine, I have found that approximately one in every three persons has a dysfunctional liver. Even if the level of dysfunction is only slight, it will still have a negative impact on your immune system and energy levels.

Many people suffer with the symptoms and signs of a dysfunctional liver for years, and yet the treating doctor or naturopath does not recognize the significance of these symptoms. The result is that the symptoms get treated while the underlying problem of an overloaded, toxic and inefficient liver is ignored or only partially treated. Inevitably, the patient’s symptoms deteriorate, and increasing doses of drugs such as antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication, immune-suppressants, pain killers, cholesterol lowering drugs etc, are needed.

The full range of symptoms indicative of “dysfunctional liver syndrome” can only be defined after a study of Eastern and Western medical disciplines. Chinese doctors have long considered the liver to be the most important organ in the body and indeed they call the liver, the “General of the Army” of the body. I consider the liver to be the most strategic organ in the body, because by improving its function we are able to help many other body systems.

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:40:54 AM »
Awesome link Yooper!  I found this there too.

http://www.liverdoctor.com/Section2/08_symptoms.asp

More great info.  ;D

abbilynn
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:44:24 AM by abbilynn »
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 09:43:12 AM »
Oh shoot!  That link didn't work right.  It's the same thing you just posted!  I meant to put the link for the symptoms of liver dysfunction.  Sorry.  :-[ :-[  Well, you can just go to that link and look on the side for the place to find the symptoms.  I'm not so great at this "link" stuff! LOL

abbilynn

It's fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:46:22 AM by abbilynn »

YoopreMama

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 09:48:38 AM »
WhoooHoo abbilyn!  We're on a roll!   ;D   :o

My last one for now.... ;):

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_7_35/ai_n6116715

The silent alarm: your liver filters the fallout from a toxic world, but symptoms of disease can stay dormant for decades. Here, the diet, supplements and proactive approach you need to keep this vital organ strong and healthy.  Natural Health,  July-August, 2004  by Michael Tennesen

There's such a thing as being too forgiving, especially when it comes to major body parts. The liver is the largest solid organ in the body; it's also, due to its lack of inner nerve endings, called the "silent organ." People can have chronic liver conditions for years without realizing it, says Caroline Riely, M.D., associate medical director of the American Liver Foundation. "Even patients with cirrhosis often have no symptoms at all."

But silence shouldn't breed complacence. "Without the liver, you can't live," says Leonard Seeff, M.D., senior scientist for hepatitis research at the National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases. The liver makes proteins that regulate blood clotting, neutralizes toxins in the blood, produces immune agents to fight infection, generates bile to help digest fats, and stores glucose for when you need energy. "It's the metabolic factory of the entire body," says Seeff.

Can you strengthen your liver? Well, it's not a muscle; you can't go to a gym and do liver presses and liver curls.   :(  But a number of integrative practitioners believe that a polluted environment is a main cause of liver disease, and that it's important to assist the liver's functions by decreasing the toxins you put into your body.

You should eat organic foods "as much as possible," says Frank Lipman, M.D., founder and director of the Eleven Eleven Wellness Center in New York City and author of Total Renewal. "That way, you avoid pesticides and herbicides on vegetables and fruit, along with the hormones, steroids, and antibiotics that come with various animal products." He also recommends water filtration.

Certain foods apparently contain nutrients that support liver detoxification properties. Lipman encourages adding blueberries, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, watercress, walnuts, and almonds to your diet, along with ginger, rosemary and garlic. Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D., author of Natural Prescriptions for Common Ailments, says that the best foods for the liver tend to be bitter, such as dandelion greens, chard and spinach. She encourages patients to eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains to get the proper vitamins and minerals, while reducing saturated fats and proteins from animal sources. Also, omega-3 fatty acids, found in oily fish, legumes and wheat germ, may help the liver process fats and reduce the production of triglycerides.

None for the road:

Consuming alcohol only in moderation is useful to protect a healthy liver, but reducing intake to bare to a bare mimimum--or, preferably, eliminating it altogether--is vital when the liver has been damaged by disease or abuse. Most medications are metabolized or eliminated by the liver, and some of them may cause liver injury in susceptible individuals. Avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and especially acetaminophen (the common pain reliever in Tylenol and numerous cold remedies) with alcohol. Muscle relaxants, antidepressants, cholesterol drugs and oral antibiotics may lead to abnormal liver-function tests, as can the herbs chaparral, coltsfoot, comfrey and kava. Even vitamin A can stress your liver's capabilities if you dramatically exceed the recommended daily value.
An injured liver stops manufacturing important proteins, such as those that prevent excessive bleeding, and it no longer metabolizes bilirubin, which builds up and leads to jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes. With long-term damage, liver cells stop regenerating and are replaced by scarring and fat deposits. "That's cirrhosis," says Riely. "It's an end stage of liver disease, but it's not necessarily a death sentence." Yet as the condition worsens, the liver is deprived of blood, leading to liver failure and, potentially, liver cancer.

The United States is also seeing an increase in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH, which is related to the rise in obesity. As fat builds up in the liver, it creates scar tissue and the cycle continues. "Liver disease, particularly the development of cirrhosis, is a dramatically increasing problem in markedly overweight persons," says Seeff.

An annual blood test may tell you if your liver is healthy. Elevated serum levels of the enzymes alanine and aspartate transaminase (ALT and AST) are an indication that something is wrong. Your doctor may then look for specific diseases; a panel of tests simultaneously screens for the hepatitis viruses.

http://www.hepnet.com/liver/dysfunction.html:

a. Skin. Some common skin signs of liver dysfunction are apparent even to the untrained eye, and many prompt the patient to seek medical attention.

Jaundice. Jaundice (yellow discoloration of the skin and whites of the eyes) is due to the deposition of excess bilirubin. It is also called icterus. As described previously, jaundice usually suggests hepatocellular damage or bile duct obstruction. Scratch marks on the skin suggest pruritus (itching), a symptom that often accompanies hyperbilirubinemia.

Spider angiomas. Spider angiomas are red tufts of fine blood vessels, which blanch with pressure, oriented in a spider pattern on the trunk, face, forearms, and hands. They are often present in patients with cirrhosis and are possibly due to increased levels of circulating estrogens (decreased clearance and breakdown by the liver).

Palmar erythema. This refers to reddening of the palms of the hands and finger tips; it is most frequently associated with alcoholic liver disease.

Edema. Edema is fluid accumulation, commonly in the subcutaneous tissues of the lower legs, due to salt and water retention in patients with cirrhosis.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 09:54:38 AM by YooperMama »

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 09:52:30 AM »
Oh shoot!  That link didn't work right...I'm not so great at this "link" stuff! LOL abbilynn

That's OK! :D

You can modify your post, if you want to...instead of clicking the "reply", just hit "modify" and change it.  I do it ALL the time!  ;)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 10:47:10 AM »
Hey, thanks for the tip!  I did modify it.  :D

abbilynn

YoopreMama

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 10:50:27 AM »
Hey, thanks for the tip!  I did modify it.  :D abbilynn

Thanks!  I missed it initially but am reading now!  :)
Hey!  That's worth quoting!   ;D

Symptoms associated with Liver Dysfunction
Abnormal Metabolism of Fats

Abnormalities in the level of fats in the blood stream, for example, elevated LDL cholesterol and reduced HDL cholesterol and elevated triglycerides. Arteries blocked with fat, leading to high blood pressure, heart attacks and strokes. Build up of fat in other body organs (fatty degeneration of organs). Lumps of fat in the skin (lipomas and other fatty tumours). Excessive weight gain, which may lead to obesity. Inability to lose weight even while dieting. Sluggish metabolism. Protuberant abdomen (pot belly). Cellulite. Fatty liver. Roll of fat around the upper abdomen - (liver roll).

Digestive Problems
Indigestion. Reflux. Haemorrhoids. Gall stones and gall bladder disease. Intolerance to fatty foods. Intolerance to alcohol. Nausea and vomiting attacks. Abdominal bloating. Constipation. Irritable bowel syndrome. Pain over the liver - (upper right corner of abdomen & lower right rib cage).

Blood Sugar Problems
Craving for sugar. Hypoglycaemia and unstable blood sugar levels. Mature onset diabetes (Type II) is common in those with a fatty liver.

Nervous System
Depression. Mood changes such as anger and irritability. Metaphysically the liver is known as the “seat of anger”. Poor concentration and “foggy brain”. Overheating of the body, especially the face and torso. Recurrent headaches (including migraine) associated with nausea.

Immune Dysfunction
Allergies - sinus, hay fever, asthma, dermatitis, hives, etc. Multiple food and chemical sensitivities. Skin rashes and inflammations. Increased risk of autoimmune diseases.  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Fibromyalgia. Increase in recurrent viral, bacterial and parasitic infections.
External Signs

Coated tongue. Bad breath. Skin rashes. Itchy skin (pruritus). Excessive sweating. Offensive body odor. Dark circles under the eyes. Yellow discoloration of the eyes. Red swollen itchy eyes (allergic eyes). Acne rosacea - (red pimples around the nose, cheeks and chin). Brownish spots and blemishes on the skin (liver spots). Red palms and soles which may also be itchy and inflamed. Flushed facial appearance or excessive facial blood vessels (capillaries/ veins).

Hormonal Imbalance
Intolerance to hormone replacement therapy or the contraceptive pill (eg. side effects).  Menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes may be more severe. Premenstrual syndrome may be more severe.

NOTE:
All of the above symptoms are common manifestations of a dysfunctional liver. However, they can also be due to other causes, of a more sinister nature, so, in all cases of persistent symptoms it is vital to see your doctor.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 11:09:56 AM by YooperMama »

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 01:04:58 PM »
Alrighty, I'm going to be trying to answer these questions this week. I'll research and post them here in case you all already ran across the answers:

WHAT is that tarry black stuff in the poo? Is it something your body produces? Does it come from the liver? Is it abnormal, meaning will someone who has had tarry poo continue to produce it or was it a one time thing?

What is the relationship between the sugar cravings and the liver? Would it be GOOD to satisfy those with healthy fruits (raisins, grapes, etc)? My son is constantly begging for those right now. I think it has something to do with the blood glucose levels, but not sure exactly how.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

YoopreMama

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 01:48:25 PM »
I'm going to PM you some stuff I found about black tarry stool and blood sugar...not what I was hoping for, but maybe something will give you a lead.   :)
Look at this!   :o
http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/sugar-cravings.shtml:
Craving sweets is also often an indication of a lack of certain nutrients such as chromium, carbon, phosphorus, sulphur and tryptophan. Let's take a look at what foods you should be eating to make sure you get enough of these nutrients.

Chromium - eat broccoli, grapes, cheese, dried beans and chicken

Carbon - eat fresh fruit

Phosphorus - eat chicken, beef, liver, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, legumes and grains

Sulphur - eat cranberries, horseradish, cruciferous vegetables, kale and cabbage

Tryptophan - eat cheese, liver, lamb, raisins, sweet potato and spinach.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 02:31:41 PM by YooperMama »

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 02:30:40 PM »
I'm going to PM you some stuff I found about black tarry stool and blood sugar...not what I was hoping for, but maybe something will give you a lead.   :)

Hi YooperMama...I'm reading all this stuff you're posting and loving it!  Thanks so much.  Would you mind posting the stuff you found out about the blood sugar/liver if it's not a problem?  Thanks!  8) 8)
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

YoopreMama

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 02:34:44 PM »

Hi YooperMama...I'm reading all this stuff you're posting and loving it!  Thanks so much.  Would you mind posting the stuff you found out about the blood sugar/liver if it's not a problem?  Thanks!  8) 8)

No problem...I just found something exciting...see previous modified quote about sugar cravings!  Here's the blood sugar stuff I sent likemanywaters:

From the www.liverdoctor.com site:
Those with unstable blood sugar levels such as hypoglycemia. These people often have strong sugar cravings and great difficulty sticking to a long-term healthy diet. Unstable blood sugar levels are known as glucose intolerance and this is often a forerunner to Type 11 diabetes. Type 11 diabetes is often associated with obesity and a fatty liver.

Regarding blood sugar levels:
In those with fatty liver it is very common to have Syndrome X which causes high levels of insulin. The insulin excess results in instability of the blood sugar levels. To overcome fatigue and cravings for carbs, it is vital to stabilize the blood sugar levels.

Syndrome X
Many patients with a fatty liver have a chemical imbalance known as Syndrome X. This is a metabolic disorder associated with abnormally high blood levels of the hormone insulin. Insulin is produced by the pancreas and its role in the body is to transport blood sugar (glucose) into the muscle and fat cells where it can be burnt for energy. In those with Syndrome X, the insulin does not work effectively because the body's cells are resistant to it. To compensate for this, the pancreas produces more and more insulin so that abnormally high levels of insulin result. Insulin levels can be measured with a blood test.

High levels of insulin promote weight gain for 3 reasons –
• Insulin is a fat-storing hormone
• Insulin suppresses the production of fat-burning hormones in your body
• Insulin increases the appetite especially for sweets or carbohydrates as well as generally making you hungry.
High insulin levels are often associated with unstable or high blood sugar levels. You may even be pre-diabetic. Those with Syndrome X often have abnormalities in blood fat levels (cholesterol and triglycerides) and may have elevated levels of uric acid which can cause gout and kidney stones. Syndrome X significantly increases your risk of heart disease.

http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog/?p=391
Getting rid of the carbohydrate addiction.

As a herbalist, I give herbs for the liver whenever somebody craves sweets. The craving is gone like [snap] that. Ladies usually get sugar cravings before menses, and that's a surefire sign that their sugar metabolism is out of balance; the imbalances just show up more strongly just before menses.

What liver herbs, you ask? Read my blog post about hot vs. cold liver, it's all outlined there.

It's difficult to do without carbohydrates at first; people who've been hooked on both simple carbs and one or the other recreational drug say that the carbs are worse to get rid of. Eat a spoonful of peanut butter whenever things get too bad, exercise, do the liver herbs, and take magnesium, chromium, and B6 (among others) every day for 10-14 days.

http://tamingthemonkeymind.com/writings/Nature%20Care%20Stuff/Nutrition/Nutrition%20-%20Protocol%20for%20Restrictive%20Diets.pdf,

has a great PDF file and page 7 has a Liver Supporting Diet listed.  A summary follows:

Health Conditions Helped by the LCD
Dr Cabot claims that this diet is able to improve the health of patients with such diverse health
problems as:

- obesity
- alcoholic liver damage
- severe allergies
- auto-immune diseases
- headaches
- chronic fatigue
- recurrent bowel infections
- Candida
- depression
- skin diseases
- arthritis
- chronic constipation
- irritable bowel syndrome
- ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Excessive exposure to insecticides and drugs

The Liver Cleansing Diet (LCD) is an eight-week eating plan in which 40% of the diet consist of raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables, and orange and red coloured fruits and vegetables. Dr Cabot believes that these contain living enzymes, natural antibiotics, chlorophyll,
carotenoids and bioflavonoids that will heal the liver and cleanse the bowel. In addition to legumes, grains, seeds and nuts, fish, seafood, and free-range chicken and eggs are also consumed for protein.  However, during the middle four weeks of the diet, there is an emphasis on vegetarian meals, and no chicken or egg yolks are allowed. Red meat and dairy products are also not eaten on the LCD. For snacks, raw juices consisting of carrot, celery, beetroot, apple, spinach and ginger are highly encouraged as these are considered healing and cleansing tonics for the liver. (Cabot 1996)

Sources of Foods to Avoid
- Red meats
- Dairy products: butter milk, cheese, cream, ice-cream, yogurt, chocolate
- Non-organic chicken and eggs
- Packet crisps, chips, salted pretzels, salted or roasted nuts
- Preserved meats
- Sweet biscuits, cakes, candies
Sources of Foods to Include
- Raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables, and orange and red coloured
fruits and vegetables.
- Legumes
- Grains
- Seeds and nuts
- Fish and seafood
- Free-range chicken and eggs

Sources of Foods to Avoid and their Substitutes(see the link...in chart form!)

Other links:
http://www.liverfoundation.org/
http://www.holistichealthtools.com/liver.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 02:53:55 PM by YooperMama »

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 02:46:39 PM »
Sulphur - eat cranberries, horseradish, cruciferous vegetables, kale and cabbage

Ah HA! That must have been why he was begging for cranberry juice last week! Tonight I fed him asparagus for dinner, which has sulfur (so do onions & garlic).

The only things I could find about black tarry stools also said they were dried blood from higher in the GI tract, like the stomach. And could be caused by violent vomiting.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 03:06:18 PM »

The only things I could find about black tarry stools also said they were dried blood from higher in the GI tract, like the stomach. And could be caused by violent vomiting.

I posted about my son's black tar-like stools in the children's constipation thread.  I took him to the doc's because I was worried about internal bleeding.  That is usually the first sign.  Turns out he was fine and they didn't know what it was from.  THANKS FOR NO HELP-DOCS!!  So, I made my son(thanks to Dara's recommendation) drink at least 4 oz of water after every meal(he also drank more during the day) and his stools are no longer tar like.  Just a suggestion. 

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »
Hey
Thanks for all the info.    I have a poor family history of liver/gallbladder problems.   Both parents plus 3 of 4 children have had their gallbladders removed, including yours truely.    My Dad had liver cancer at the end of his life.   Actually that was colon cancer that had spread but considering my one brother died of colon cancer I guess that isn't very promising either.   Anyway, I have suffered with some of these symptoms since having my gallbladder removed 14 years ago.   

Guess my question would be this:  can you overload the liver when detoxifying?   I have been drinking Kombucha for awhile and seem to be having worse symptoms the last week or so.   I am wondering if the Kombucha may be causing to much detox therefore stressing the liver.

Any ideas?
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

YoopreMama

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 03:27:17 PM »
I just read something about that...if the liver detoxifies and the colon isn't cleared enough to move it out quickly enough, it can be reabsorbed and sent back to the liver. 

So, how regular are you?  :)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »
I just read something about that...if the liver detoxifies and the colon isn't cleared enough to move it out quickly enough, it can be reabsorbed and sent back to the liver. 

So, how regular are you?  :)

Quite~~ :)    Mostly I suffer from diarrhea which I know sometimes can be a sign of constipation but I am sure that isn't the case.   
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 03:36:27 PM »
Okay, Yooper.  All this talk about symptoms, let's talk about healing the liver!  :D ;)  What are you supposed to do if you think you have liver problems?  I know you can do the liver flush until there's no more stones and then eat really healthy.  Anything else?  ??? ::)

abbilynn

YoopreMama

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »
Great point, abbilynn!   :D

I think some of the links previously noted had liver supporting diets...Sandra Cabot has a 8 week liver cleansing program...there are herbs and flushes....things to avoid...here are some more links:

Protocol for Healing the Liver:
http://frontline-hepatitis-awareness.com/liverprotocol.htm

MD's Herbal Program for Healing the Liver:
http://www.startthehealing.com/liver.html

Herbs for Health & Healing Liver Disease:
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/15/45.cfm

http://healing.about.com/od/paula_answers/f/detoxliver.htm

A liver detox is a complex subject and takes awhile to do. It's best not to detox for more than 10 days at one time. The body needs to rest and rebuild too.

One way is to begin with milk thistle herb. The brand I like the best is Eclectic Institute freeze dried Milk Thistle. It has a high vibration to it. You can take this herb for about a month or so. Because it not only detoxes, it builds.

Hot lemon juice and water the first thing in the morning also begins to clear toxins out of the liver. The lemon breaks up phlegm in the body. Lecithin is also another great healer for the liver and brain.

This is a good start. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of purified water during any detox program, exercise daily, and get at least 20 minutes of sunshine every day. Of course reduce all the foods that congest the liver.

and here's one more:
http://wqd.netwarriors.org/showthread.php?t=78

Healing your Liver

This list is from the book, Prescription for Nutritional Healing.
Recommendations:

Increase your consumption of foods high in potassium:
Almonds, Bananas, Raisins, Rice(Brown) and Wheat Bran.
Drink plenty of water
Avoid constipating foods, makes your liver work twice as hard.
Avoid coffee, fish, fowl, meat, salt, soft drinks, sugar, tea(ack, my fav drink)
and spicy or fried foods. and of course Alcohol.
Perform a 3 day juice fast once a month, to help cleanse the liver. Beet juice, Carrot juice, and water with Lemon. Green drinks as well
Avoid cod liver oil, do not take more than 10,000 iu's of vitamin A daily. Do not take more than 1,500 mls of niacin daily.
Eat a diet of 75% raw foods, if cirrhosis is severe eat only fresh vegetables and fruit the first 2 weeks.
Eat plenty of foods high in vitamin K...Green leafy vegetables and alfalfa sprouts
Include legumes(kidney beans, peas, soybeans and seeds) These foods contain arginine which helps detoxify ammonia, a by product of protine digestion.
Use cold pressed oils only, used uncooked oils only.
Limit your intake of fish. A damaged liver cannot handle the amount of vitamin A.
eat Haddock, Salmon and sardines not more than twice a week.
Do not eat virtually all commercially prepared foods.

Supplements:

CoQ10 60 mgs daily
Free form amino acid complex...easy on the liver
L-Cysteine and L-Methione 500 mg each daily. Take with vitamin b6 and C for better absorption.
Glutathione 100 mg daily before meals
Lecithin granules 1,200 daily before meals
desiccated liver and vitamin B12
Liv-R-Actin from Nature's Plus
MultiVitamin and Mineral complex with a Vitamin B complex 150 mg 3 times daily, and selenium 200 mcg dailyand zinc 30 mg daily.
Phosphatidyl Choline daily..prevents fatty buildup in liver
Vitamin C daily 5000mg divided doses neutralizes toxic substances
Vitamin E daily 600 IU protects the liver from damage
Milk Thistle daily helps maintain liver function Liv-R-Actin
extra b12 1,000mg 2 times daily
Folic acid 200 mcg daily.

This is from the section for Cirrhosis of the liver...(God forbid any of us are that far gone) But it is a good guide for ideas on what to take and eat during detox and beyond. Yikes I didn't know caffeine was so bad for the liver there goes my coffee
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 04:53:42 PM by YooperMama »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 05:08:03 PM »
Hmmm...... I wonder why you should avoid cod liver oil?  I thought that was supposed to be great for you.  In fact, I was about to order some for us and the kids (thought it might help their sensory issues and food allergies/gut problems).  But now I'm not sure.  ???  I mean, I don't know for sure they have liver problems, but sometimes I wonder, ya know.  They just seem too young to have problems like us adults.  What do you think?

abbilynn