Author Topic: Liver Function  (Read 91373 times)

Offline doug-again

• Learning
Re: Liver Function
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2008, 04:42:12 PM »
Ultrasound shows the presence of gallstones in the gallbladder, not acids in the blood; nor does it show the presence of gall stones in the liver.
They need to read that blood test.

Offline rainydayz

• Adept
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »
Can anyone tell me if a liver was spilling bile acids into your bloodstream, would this show up on an ultrasound?  Or would only a blood test show this information?

Only bloodwork will tell you if you have elevated bile acids in your blood.  BUT an ultrasound will show a gall bladder that is swollen or "sludgy".  If the gall bladder is not emptying properly (cholestasis) that IS something they can pick up on an ultrasound.  They can see flow in the gall bladder and bile ducts, as well as distention in both of these structures.  Did they take blood pre and post you eating food?

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2008, 12:57:07 PM »
Thank you for the information.  I was finally able to find out that my  blood work was fine, I'm anemic, but I can deal with that.  So I don't know why I'm having the issues I am?  I think it would be wise for me to stay very careful with my diet.  They did not take my blood work before and after eating.  I had not eaten much that day, mostly fruits and veggies and one peice of toast.  I had not eaten for about 3 hours at the time.

Offline doug-again

• Learning
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2008, 09:15:32 PM »
So I don't know why I'm having the issues I am?
 i don't know either, but your dermatitis could be a reaction to anything; from the Sodium Laurel Sulfate in your soap to the corn tortillas and cheese on the dinner table.  i'd take a few oatmeal baths; switch soaps to bland/unscented, alter diet.  If things improved then i'd rule out liver problems even further, and look at some threads on eczema/dermatitis.
OR, if i felt like blowing $ on a doctor, i'd visit the dermatologist about the itchy legs.

Offline rainydayz

• Adept
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »
The reason I was wondering is that Bile Acid tests are often run in pairs- before and after eating to see how much they elevate after eating.  But a high fasting bile acid test is all you need to call it OC, so is probably all they ran.  I was looking around on the internet.. did you say you actually have little bumps that look like bug bites?  I found sometihing called Prurigo of Pregnancy... which is totally benign... could it be that? 
Hope you feel better soon, and are holding that baby soon!  (ps- I just had a new one on the 1st!)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:44:18 PM by rainydayz »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »
Melie, check out this thread. It specifically talks about itchy, bug bite type rashes during pregnancy & PUPPPs. (Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy)

Sorry I didn't mention it earlier. I immed thought of the thread when i read your 1st post but somehow thought that PUPPPs had been ruled out. Then when Rainydayz mentioned Prurigo of Pregnancy, it got me thinking about it & I reread your post & found out that PUPPPs hadn't been ruled out. I found the thread & was rereading it & found the posts talking about the itchy, bug bite type rash. So anyways, it might help. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Itchy [Rashes/Hives] While Pregnant

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
I don't think it's pupps because, from what I understand, that normally starts on the trunk and this is mostly on my legs with a few spots on my arms.  It seems to migrate.  At least the massive itchyness migrates.  The bumps stay but when it started my calves were really itchy and now my thighs are driving me nuts.  BUT it is getting much better.  Both my midwives and dr told me to go off all supplements until we were sure that my liver was fine.  The first day I started back on the dr. schultze superfood and my other stuff I only woke up itching once and it seems to be getting quite a bit better.  The bumps are still there but they don't drive me crazy most of the time.  I am wondering if it is just detox??  Someone told me that they get fever blisters when they do a cleanse, I have never gotten one before but I have one now, so maybe that's all it is and it just got really bad when I stopped all the good stuff I was putting in my body.  I don't know.  I think I might pursue the opinion of a dermatologist if it doesn't go away.  Not so that they can treat me, just for a diagnosis so I can come here and figure out what to do! ;D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2008, 01:13:04 AM »
Melie, I could be detox & you may never know for sure WHAT it was. It's also possible that even if it didn't follow the normal path of PUPPPs it still may be that. Again, hard to say & you may never know.

The thing is, dandelion tincture (for this alcohol based is best- read about it on the thread I linked earlier) is a great treatment for PUPPPs. It's also one of the best treatments for anemia & a gentle liver cleanser & builds up the liver & blood. The Superfood may have been helping because it helps alkalinize the body which is something else that dandelion also does.

You posted this:

One midwife told me I could keep taking peppermint for indigestion and dandelion.

So what I'm thinking is that dandelion would probably be a VERY good idea right now. It should help you in a multitude of ways. 

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2009, 02:05:10 PM »
Liver Toxicity...................mercury from 15+ Rhogam shots :'(, pain meds from last delivery (c-section), cheap chocolate as a comfort food 2 years ago during a very stressful time (I gained 30# in less than 6 months).(i'm not doing that anymore ;)

Since the c-section though, I think my liver is  not working correctly or something ???

My upper abdomen protrudes out and is uncomfortable. When I eat it gets worse. Kindof like my food is staying at my sternum. 

I drink about 3 quarts of lemon water a day. Even the water seems to stay right at the top of my sterum as well. I naturally feel the need to eat nothing; drink nothing for a couple hours.

I recently bought a juicer. I juiced carrots, berries, celery, and apples and it seemed really helpful.

After 9 natural deliveries, the c-section was allllll new! :o I don't know if this is natural after a c-section or if it's typical liver toxicity.  ???
 I am currently nursing our 7m DD and I'd like to do something to clean my liver, even done slowly would be great.

Any ideas?  ???

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2009, 04:04:51 PM »
You might start with some dandelion tea...

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »

Any ideas?  ???

These are ideas that have already been listed on all things liver, but I know that sometimes it is a little overwhelming with long threads!  ;)
Like the previous poster suggested:  dandelion tea.  Also,  milk thistle tea, or take silymarin capsules.
Continue to juice!  Try going on a no sugar, no carbs, all raw diet for a week, then juice veggies and fruits for as long as you can!  Then, do a coffee enema.  This will purge your liver of toxins.
If you can stand the taste, beet juice is the best for livers.  I could never do it!  :P ;D
As for the mercury, you may want to look into some chelation therapy to get the heavy metals out. 

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »
Turmeric has been mentioned earlier on this thread, although briefly. According to http://www.ghchealth.com/organic-turmeric.html, tumeric is:

"Traditionally used to help purify the blood and provide relief for an upset stomach, Turmeric offers many health benefits that either directly or indirectly promote a healthier liver and gallbladder. Offering strong antioxidant effects, Organic Turmeric (Curcuma longa) helps remove toxins from the body. As a result of this antioxidant effect, your liver does not have to work as hard to filter blood and keep your body healthy. This helps create a healthier liver by allowing it to focus on removing toxins from the body.

Health Benefits of Turmeric:
Helps flush out toxins to reduce strain on the liver
Aids in reducing occasional inflammation
Supports bile production to break down fats for optimal cholesterol levels
Promotes natural cleansing and protection of the liver
Works to improve overall blood circulation
Encourages the growth of digestive flora and discourages the growth of harmful bacteria
Research has shown that people can help eliminate toxins from the liver and thus reduce their potential for damage to the organ if they consumed regular doses of Turmeric. In fact, research suggests Organic Turmeric works by encouraging the production of several key liver-detoxification enzymes."

I've been chugging turmeric powder 1/2 tsp. at a time in water. It doesn't exactly grow on you, but it gets more manageable as you get used to it.

Here's some side effect and cautions as listed at http://nccam.nih.gov/health/turmeric/:

Side Effects and Cautions
Turmeric is considered safe for most adults.
High doses or long-term use of turmeric may cause indigestion.
In animals, high doses of turmeric have caused liver problems. No cases of liver problems have been reported in people.
People with gallbladder disease should avoid using turmeric as a dietary supplement, as it may worsen the condition.

Peppermint essential oil - A naturopath told me to take several drops in water two or three times a day to gently detox my liver. This is easy, and not gross (although rather intense until you get used to peppermint EO). I don't know if it cleansed my liver or not, but it DID clear up a nagging case of dandruff that had been hanging 'round for way too long. I would definitely choose an organic essential oil if I were to do this (although, of course, I didn't even THINK of it back when I did it...  ::)). I also took it while breastfeeding, but not while my baby was still really little. I can't remember how old he was... maybe... 9, 10 months? Not sure. Anyway, he had absolutely no bad reactions AND a little rash that he had had behind his knee for a long time cleared up quite nicely.  8)

Milk thistle seeds - How 'bout eating the actual seeds as a snack? I'm not sure how effective this is versus silymarin capsules or milk thistle tea, but it might be easier and tastier.  :) http://www.nutsonline.com/seedsspices/milke-thistle-seeds.html

Gerson Therapy - In Jaquie Davison's book, Cancer Winner, she states that Dr. Gerson says it takes 18 months to completely regenerate a new liver.  She explains her journey to do so in her book, which was based upon the plan in The Gerson Cancer Therapy. I don't think the average person would want to take on this plan - very, very involved. She ended up with a squeaky clean liver, though! :)

Wheatgrass - wheatgrass juice is supposed to be very powerful at detoxifying the liver. I don't think I'd use it while nursing, and I know I wouldn't use it while pregnant.

Dr. Foster's Liver Cleanse - my husband and I did this once. The liver/gallbladder formula tasted nasty, and one of the other formulas that went along with the program was even worse - really, truly horrible. I notice they offer the same formula in capsules now.  ;D

No matter what you choose to do, everything I've ever read indicates that it is SO IMPORTANT to make sure that your colon is clean and functioning properly first, before attempting any liver cleansing. If your liver is trying to dump toxins, and they're going into a colon that isn't moving along like it should, it can really create some unpleasant side effects.
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline doug-again

• Learning
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »
Since the c-section though, I think my liver is  not working correctly or something ???

My upper abdomen protrudes out and is uncomfortable. When I eat it gets worse. Kindof like my food is staying at my sternum. 

I drink about 3 quarts of lemon water a day. Even the water seems to stay right at the top of my sterum as well. I naturally feel the need to eat nothing; drink nothing for a couple hours.

After 9 natural deliveries, the c-section was allllll new! :o I don't know if this is natural after a c-section or if it's typical liver toxicity.  ???
 I am currently nursing our 7m DD and I'd like to do something to clean my liver, even done slowly would be great. Any ideas?  ???
i ain't no doctor, but i don't think that this is a liver issue.
The liquid staying up at your sternum reminds me of how the pyloric valve should automatically open at around a quart of water.  Chug a quart all at once if you can.  If that valve doesn't seem to open, then there's inflammation or parasites there or something.  So yeah, dandelion tea maybe, or wormwood might knock out an infestation , if that's what's going on....
The food going nowhere sounds like hook stomach.
But, i really think that this has to do with the pylorus not opening when it should.
Get hubby to find the stomach spot on your foot and rub it.
If it's sore, and the liver spots ain't, then there you go...stomach.
Intreat the man to rub your foot.  That'll send some blood to the organ.
The LIFE of the flesh is in the blood. 
  You asked for ideas, right? 8)

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »

i ain't no doctor, but i don't think that this is a liver issue.
The liquid staying up at your sternum reminds me of how the pyloric valve should automatically open at around a quart of water.  Chug a quart all at once if you can.  If that valve doesn't seem to open, then there's inflammation or parasites there or something.  So yeah, dandelion tea maybe, or wormwood might knock out an infestation , if that's what's going on....
The food going nowhere sounds like hook stomach.
But, i really think that this has to do with the pylorus not opening when it should.
Get hubby to find the stomach spot on your foot and rub it.
If it's sore, and the liver spots ain't, then there you go...stomach.
Intreat the man to rub your foot.  That'll send some blood to the organ.
The LIFE of the flesh is in the blood. 
  You asked for ideas, right? 8)
[/quote]

Your delivery just made me smile... ;D  It does sound like some worthwhile advice although I'd never even heard of the pyloric valve.  Some of the symptoms sound a little like hiatal hernia to me but it seems more complicated than that.

Thanks for the 'intreatment' of a chuckle!

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
 ;DThanks for the ideas. I bought some dandelion tea today. I'll start with eating the raw foods, juicing, and drinking the tea. I googled the info shared.  A hiatal hernia seems more of the location. :o Would the drinking the quart of water and having it stay up high be the same side effect as the hernia? I'm still wondering if this has anything to do with the liver ???
Still looking to learn.............
paradisemamma 

Offline doug-again

• Learning
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
Would the drinking the quart of water and having it stay up high be the same side effect as the hernia?
i dunno if it'd be the same.  i suggested that as a test for that little valve.  Trying to figure something out like this without an endoscope is trying. [hah]...so i'm grasping at straws. On second thought, the pylorus is too far past your sternum -  forget that.  Anyway, this is the best reflexology map that i could find.
http://midwifemuse.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/foot_reflexology.jpg
Again, get your hubby [or someone] to apply thumb pressure to the stomach or liver areas on your feet.  This will narrow things down.  If you're tender in one or both stomach spots, and not on the liver spot then you know its probably not your liver.
For instance, my wife was tender on her kidney/adrenal spots on both feet.  i mean really painfully so; it hurt to walk.  No amount of foot-rubbing made a difference until i put her on some kidney herbs for a couple weeks.  She's not tender there anymore.  The herbs cleared up whatever issue she was having.
I'm still wondering if this has anything to do with the liver ???
You said earlier that your "food is staying at your sternum."  ...doubt its liver.  Maybe its the esophageal sphincter, on the top side of your stomach, that's not opening and closing as it should.  That's the one that connects your esophagus to your stomach.  Did you have a lot of heartburn during pregnancy?  Maybe that area got weakened and eroded by stomach juices, and now it needs to heal.  The more i think about it, the more i wonder if this isn't just plain ole heartburn. That'd explain the bloating and the sternum pressure. Does lying on your left side help?  Does chocolate, tomato, caffeine or citrus make it worse?
Judging from the shot and pain med info that you gave,  i have no doubt that you need a liver detox, but your symptoms are pointing elsewhere, IMO.
Anyway, its great that you're juicing.  Be sure to "chew" your juice.  Swish it around your mouth to allow your saliva to predigest it all.  This will help your tummy to do its special digesting job.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this so I opted for liver cleansing, and HB will you move it if it belongs somewhere else?  Thanks.

Having an autoimmune disease I am constantly doing gentle cleansing in an effort to clear the toxins out of my system.  My kids have been taking Berbine (Candibactin BR) for their intestinal systems this past few months.  They were told to stop and I had bottles left so I decided to give it a try myself to see what happens.  The bottle says it's for intestinal strengthening, gentle cleansing, immune system building, etc.  So I figured it couldn't hurt me and hopefully would help.  I've taken it for two days now and the detox symptoms are amazing!  I've had low grade fevers, my glands are swollen from my left ear down to my jaw, my bowels are all over the place from normal to nearly runny.  And my bowels are much more active then usual (interpret as: going a lot!).  So, this is either all detox or I've got mono.   ;D ::)

So I guess I said all that to say that if someone is looking for a fairly gentle liver and intestinal detox as well as immune builder, I think the berbine is a good choice.  I'm going to take it for a few more days and then lay off and see what happens.  To my knowledge, it can be taken long term.  My son was on it 4 months before we took him off of it. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2009, 11:31:58 PM »
Patti what was your final take on this?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2009, 09:08:46 AM »
Patti what was your final take on this?

I took the berbine for a few months.  After all I've learned about the gut I believe the symptoms I was having were actually bacterial die off from the berbine.  I had a pretty hefty amount of bacteria in my gut when we did a stool test.  I did feel much better after doing a round of berbine but it's because the bad bacteria was killed off.

In the end, I would say berbine is better used (and intended) as an intestinal healer and bacteria killer. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2009, 11:35:37 AM »
Thanks. :)