Author Topic: Liver Function  (Read 91449 times)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
Re: Liver Function
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 05:17:10 AM »
WOW!!  Thanks for that great info Kati*did!!  ;D ;D  That clears up some stuff for me.  ;)

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 05:32:24 AM »
WOW!!  Thanks for that great info Kati*did!!  ;D ;D  That clears up some stuff for me.  ;)

abbilynn

:D :D
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 05:37:21 AM »
Helped me out, too!

Thanks

YoopreMama

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 12:28:47 PM »
I saw the dermatologist today.  It went OK.   :-\

She gave credence to the DSS helping the skin...thought what I was doing was helping...suggested that my itchiness wasn't due to eczema but rather dry skin and recommended Vanicream?   ???  More research to do...
Vanicream® Cleansing Bar
sodium cocoyl isethionate, stearic acid, sodium stearate, water, coconut acids, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, paraffin wax, sodium cocoate, sodium isethionate, white petrolatum, cetearyl alcohol & ceteareth-20, titanium dioxide, sorbitol, propylene glycol, simethicone, glyceryl monostearate, polyethylene glycol monostearate, sorbic acid, and BHT.

OK. So I won't be using that:P

Have my Liver book by Cabot in hand..time to retire and read it!   ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:34:25 PM by YooperMama »

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2007, 01:26:38 AM »
 ::) Go figure.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

YoopreMama

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2007, 05:15:32 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't putting much stock in hearing her expound about how the liver relates to the skin.   ::)   ;)

The Liver Cleansing book by Dr. Sandra Cobot is answering a lot of my questions...not just about my skin troubles, but about the general health of my liver and how it is affecting so much...retaining weight...not processing fats properly...moods...etc.  She has an 8 week eating plan that looks very do-able...to help heal/cleanse/support the liver.    2 big components are eliminating red meats and dairy.  She recommends soy milk ( :P) and other imitation dairy....that surprised me.  I wonder what she'd say about untreated cow milk?  Anyway, I would give it up.   :)

I'll try and quote some stuff later.  The part about how the liver manages fat is interesting...especially in light of things like "Eat Fat, Lose Fat". 

The liver is so key to quality life!

YoopreMama

Intro to The Liver Cleansing Diet Book:
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2007, 09:03:43 AM »
OK....Here is an intro to the book:   :)

From The Liver Cleansing Diet (June 1996), by Dr. Sandra Cabot:
(Back cover):

Your Liver Check-up:
Do you suffer from:

Overweight, abdominal bloating, poor digestion, frequent fatigue, headaches, unpleasant moods, bad breath, coated tongue, irritable bowel syndrome, sluggish metabolism, overburdened immune system, excessive body heat, high cholesterol, gall bladder disease, fatty liver, allergies, high blood pressure, sugar cravings, intolerance to alcohol, excess alcohol intake, or inability to lose weight (I would add skin rashes, and dark circles under the eyes)?

If you answer YES to several of these questions, then your liver needs help.

Common ?s re: the liver diet:
1.  Can I do while PG? Yes, w/ Dr’s supervision (calcium, iron folic acid needing to be supplemented)
2.  Tea, coffee or alcohol on diet?  Yes, but restricted use (listed on inside cover).
3.  Can I stay on longer than 8 weeks to lose more weight?  Yes, stay on as long as you’d like.
4.  Can I follow this if I am diabetic?  Yes, w/ Dr’s supervision and by having regular snacks from our menu to prevent hypoglycemia.
5.  Do I need to take supplements while on the diet?  If female, calcium and iron are a good idea…(something covered up by a sticker).
6.  Once I finish the 8 weeks, can I add red meat to my diet?  Fresh & lean; 2-3x weekly.
7.  Will the diet help if I have liver disease?    Yes (fatty liver, hepatitis, cirrhosis & gall bladder disease).
8.  Does this book apply only to people who want to lose weight? No, this will not result in weight loss unless you are overweight, as it balances your metabolism.  Many sick people are underweight and by improving their liver function will increase their appetite and maintain or gain weight.  By improving the liver function the load upon the immune system is reduced, and many illnesses caused by inflammation or chronic infections will be gradually overcome.

Chapter One excerpt:
The liver is the supreme organ of metabolism...excessive weight is a symptom of liver dysfunction and not solely due to the number of calories you eat.  The liver is the major fat-burning organ in the body.  If you follow the LCD your metabolism will improve in leaps and bound and you will start to burn fat!  Conversely, if you eat the wrong foods, your liver will actually make MORE fat so that you keep on storing fat. 

Chapter 2 notables:
Problems that are caused by an imbalance in the immune system will always, & often dramatically improve w/ a diet that cleanses & improves the function of the liver.  The most common problems to manifest when the immune system is under siege are:

skin rashes, allergies such as hay fever, hives and asthma, autoimmune diseases, some types of arthritis, and the modern-day epidemic of chronic fatigue syndrome.

Orthodox medicine tends to focus on suppressing the symptoms of these diseases w/ drugs such as cortisone creams, tablets or inhalers, anti-inflammatory drugs, & immuno-suppressant drugs.  This may be necessary in acute severe cases, but in the long term such drugs may over burden the liver whose job it is to break down these drugs into harmless metabolites.  These drugs can sometimes CASUE liver disease.  This is a paradox b/c diseases of the immune system will be aggravated by anything that stresses or damages the liver...[b]So we can see that although the immune system protects our body from many dangers, it is the liver that protects the immune system from overload.[/b]

Next time we'll talk more about chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches, and women on HRT, and symptoms of an unhappy liver.   ;)

If interested in the book:

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Liver-Cleansing-Diet_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ498446 for about $8.

OR you can order her supplement, Livatone (which I'm ready to do--looks like it's $24 for 120 capsules?) and get the book from her web site: 

http://www.weightcontroldoctor.com/healthtopics/liverdiet/default.asp (synopsis),

and here's a deal where book + 120 Livatone capsules= $30 (S & H included):

http://www.weightcontroldoctor.com/shop/productDetail.asp?prodID=114

I wish I'd have done the 8 week diet before any major cleansing...a gentle way to start!   :)

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2007, 09:22:02 AM »
The Liver Cleansing book by Dr. Sandra Cobot is answering a lot of my questions...not just about my skin troubles, but about the general health of my liver and how it is affecting so much...retaining weight...not processing fats properly...moods...etc.  She has an 8 week eating plan that looks very do-able...to help heal/cleanse/support the liver.    2 big components are eliminating red meats and dairy.  She recommends soy milk ( :P) and other imitation dairy....that surprised me.  I wonder what she'd say about untreated cow milk?  Anyway, I would give it up.   :)

I'll try and quote some stuff later.  The part about how the liver manages fat is interesting...especially in light of things like "Eat Fat, Lose Fat".

I wasn't that impressed with her site, but it does have some useful info. on it. But I think it strange that she recommends cutting out red meats & dairy, and her other dietary recommendations. My son's skin has actually improved since switching him to mainly meats & dairy instead of mainly complex carbs.

I was thinking the other day, suppose a diet low in fats is what causes your liver to not release enough toxins?  If eating fat is what makes your liver squirt bile, then if you don't have enough fat in your diet, you won't be releasing bile as often.  I definitely don't understand everything about the liver, but just a thought...

In the Nourishing Traditions book, it says Hippocrates prescribed a raw milk diet for those patients with psoriasis.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 02:01:35 AM by likemanywaters »
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

YoopreMama

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2007, 09:46:12 AM »
I wasn't that impressed with her site, but it does have some useful info. on it. But I think it strange that she recommends cutting out red meats & dairy, and her other dietary recommendations. That doesn't "feel" right to me. My son's skin has actually improved since switching him to mainly meats & dairy instead of mainly complex carbs.

I was thinking the other day, suppose a diet low in fats is what causes your liver to not release enough toxins?  If eating fat is what makes your liver squirt bile, then if you don't have enough fat in your diet, you won't be releasing bile as often.  I definitely don't understand everything about the liver, but just a thought...

In the Nourishing Traditions book, it says Hippocrates prescribed a raw milk diet for those patients with psoriasis.

I find her site hard to navigate, myself, but agree that there is some useful information there.  I hope to find other sources than her, but as of now, I haven't found anyone who has studied the liver...and given, that she is making money, one has to be careful/objective in evaluating her literature.

The milk thing leaves me unsettled, still.  AND, I'm not sure why she's not promoting good fats as much as say, the Nourishing Traditions, people....maybe after it's cleansed?  I agree, untreated milk is such of a medicine in itself (remember Clara in Heidi?)...and cultured milk products...yogurt, kefir, etc...I think we need LOTs of good fats...

I love this back and forth dialogue--it helps to keep me balanced.  :)
In an article on her site re: the gallbladder http://www.liverdoctor.com/Section4/gallbladder.asp, she refers to this site:  www.notmilk.com  It looks BIZARRE!   :o  Here's their mission statement:

MISSION STATEMENT
The Dairy Education Board is a public information association that has been formed to let America know that cow's milk is not nature's perfect food for people.

We are breaking down the greatest myth in America:  that milk does a body good.  By establishing a stance against the dairy industry and the tens of billions of dollars spent in propaganda activities such as the milk mustache campaign, we will tell America the other side of the milk story.

This group has been established to put the discussion in perspective.  The dairy industry has invested an immense amount of money and Americans are still getting sick, breaking bones, getting cancer and osteoporosis.

The secret to the "Fountain of Youth" is giving up milk and dairy products.

?????????????????  That's a bunch of BUNK!   :P  Maybe she doesn't know about raw milk! 

She does say this about good fats and red meats:

Include health fats such as cold pressed nut and seed oils and foods rich in essential fats such as cold water fish, avocados etc. Good fats are important for the health of the gall bladder. An extremely low fat/no fat diet is NOT recommended.

Flaxseed Oil
Good quality essential fats are very important to keep the gall bladder in good working order. Low fat diets are not the way to go - It must be the 'right' fat diet. Flaxseed is an excellent, vegetarian source of essential fatty acids beneficial for damaged liver cell membranes and assists in reducing inflammation. Some people find the flaxseed oil capsules much easier to consume than the cold pressed flaxseed oil liquid.

We also recommend that you avoid red meat for about three months
(but no explanation why).

As always, it appears that we need to sort through what we read--keep the good and discard the bad.  Good thing we have the Holy Spirit (and friends like those at WTM) to help us discern truth!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:24:05 AM by YooperMama »

YoopreMama

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »
I've noticed that my detox rash is concentrated on "fatty" areas of my body...places that are leaner, have little to no rash.  I guess there is something to that idea that fats store toxins!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2007, 08:52:01 AM »
I've noticed that my detox rash is concentrated on "fatty" areas of my body...places that are leaner, have little to no rash.  I guess there is something to that idea that fats store toxins!
mmmmmmm, then I got losta toxins.  ::)

YoopreMama

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2007, 11:49:01 AM »
Have some things from James Duke's Green Pharmacy:   :)

Liver Problems (p. 309)

"Milk thistle is my top-choice herb for all kinds of liver ailments, including everything from hepatitis (inflammation of the liver) to cirrhosis to Amanita mushroom poisoning.

Carrot has shown significant liver protection in laboratory animals in India.

Dandelion Being a diuretic, it helps flush excess water from the body.  And the roots have been used for centuries to treat jaundice, the yellowing of the skin that occurs as a result of a seriously malfunctioning liver.  The leaves & flowers can be steamed like spinach.

Indian almond is not so widely available here, but extracts have shown to prevent chemically induced liver damage in laboratory animals.

Milk Thistle has been used as a liver remedy for at least 2,000 years.  Research shows that compounds from the seeds can even regenerate liver cells that have been damaged.  Other studies show that the compound silymarin, which is found in milk thistle, helps protect the liver from many industrial toxins, such as carbon tetrachloride. 

Schisandra has strong liver-protecting properties...the seed contain more than a dozen liver-protective compounds. 

Tamarind is a chaser for alcoholic beverages in Latin America...it's supposed to prevent hangover. 

Chicory is related to milk thistle.  Some mice survived a toxic dose of acetaminophen w/ chicory extracts.  Makes a good caffeine-free coffee substitute.

Chinese angelica is also known as dang-quai.  It helps protect the liver apparently, by helping is use more oxygen. 

Javanese turmeric In Asian folklore, this herb has been highly regarded for conditions related to the liver, particularly gall stones and jaundice.

Licorice inhibits liver cell injury caused by many chemicals and is used in the treatment of cirrhosis and chronic hepatitis, esp. in Japan. Russian studies suggest an herbal combo of licorice, peppermint, rose, tansy, and stinging nettle to help stabilize liver cell membranes in experimental animals, thus protecting them from liver damage.

Bottle gourd is a great source of choline...a deficiency of this B vitamin has shown liver damage and is associated w/ the development of liver cancer. eat it as you would squash.  Other herbs high in choline include:  fenugreek leaves, shepherd's purse, horehound, ginseng, cowpeas, English peas, mung beans, sponge gourds, lentils, and Chinese angelica. 

Ginger contains 8 liver-protecting compounds.

Tea is clinically effective at treating acute infectious hepatitis.

Turmeric, often included in curries, contains several related compounds that protect the liver.

Liver Protecting Salad
When you make a salad, try adding young milk thistle leaves, carrots, and dandelion flowers.  Use ginger and turmeric in the dressing.
"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:13:14 PM by YooperMama »

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2007, 08:05:52 PM »
Thanks so much for all the work you have done with this!! This is defiantly an area I need to look into deeper! The whites of my eyes get yellow when I am getting sick or when I am very tired. I know thats pretty bad huh? I lived a wicked life before I surrendered to Jesus. My liver paid the price. So what is the best thing to start with? A liver cleanse, a fast, herbs...?

YoopreMama

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2007, 04:57:35 AM »
Glad it's helpful for you!   :)

Where to start....before I knew this, I was trying to help my liver (skin troubles) w/ milk thistle, Red Clover Plus, burdock root, PMS teas (blood purifiers)...they helped lots.  They are all good.  I think beeyoutiful sells a liver supporting supplement...Livatone is one some have recommended. 

I have done a Master Cleanse and 1 Liver Flush...they helped a lot.  They were a bit intense, though.   :P  I've been reading about the 8 week liver cleansing diet and it seems more gentle and do-able.  About 40% raw...no dairy or red meat or pork...earlier in this thread, some liver supportive diets were noted...I would start changing my diet to be more like the ones suggested...I also am upping the good fats (coconut oil, avocado, flax seed, etc).

Lots of water!  Some Natural Therapies for Your Liver (Ch 6):
Psyllium, Taurine, Dandelion, St. Mary's thistle/milk thistle/Silybum marianum, globe artichoke, slippery elm bark.

Beets and carrots, lecithin,  alfalfa and barley leaf (chlorophyll).

Here's a link to a Healthy Grocery List for a Healthy Liver:
http://www.liverdoctor.com/newsletter/edition2.1/list.asp

I disagree w/ her milk philosophy, though.   :P

Hope that gives you some ideas...keep reading!   ;)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:13:21 AM by YooperMama »

YoopreMama

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2007, 09:43:01 AM »
Looks interesting!

From Autoimmune disease-cirrhosis of the liver:
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:05:41 PM » by patti

I just thought of one other mild cleansing thing I do that works very well and makes me feel great.  I do castor oil packs over my liver.  You can take undyed flannel and fold very thick into a large square/rectangle shape (about 12x12 when folded).  Place in a glass casserole dish.  Pour castor oil over the flannel.  Micro (yeah, I know) for about 1 min. or until it's good and warm.  Place a large towel down on a bed, floor, whatever and lay on top of it with the towel being sideways.  Place the flannel (I just carry my dish to my bedroom) over your liver (right below the right breast to the side flank of the body).  Place a large piece of plastic wrap over the flannel and cover it with another towel.  Put a heating pad over the towel (so it doesn't touch the plastic) on med. heat.  Relax for about 1/2 hr to 45 minutes.  When you're done you can remove the flannel and store it in the glass dish with a lid in the fridge.  DO NOT WASH.  When you're done just toss it out, you'll never get it clean.  I reused mine many many times.  Do label it carefully.  I labeled mine "castor oil flannel" and my husband only read the "cas" part and decided it must be a casserole.     

This method of cleansing is gentle on the liver.  The heat helps the body soak up the castor oil which goes into the liver and helps to cleanse it.  It's one of the few cleansing things that didn't cause me pain in my bladder. 

Patti

YoopreMama

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2007, 01:11:08 PM »
Some teas that would help:

LIVER CLEANSER
(Decoction)
1 part dandelion root, roasted
1 part burdock root
1 part chicory root, roasted
1/4 part ginger, dry
1/4 part milk thistle seeds, crushed
1/4 part flaxseeds, crushed
Mix. Boil. Sweeten if necessary. Drink.

SPRING CLEANING
(Infusion)
2 parts red clover blossoms
1/4 part olive leaf
1 part nettles
1/2 part chickweed
1/4 part fenugreek
1/4 fennel seed
1/4 part licorice
Mix. Boil. Sweeten if necessary. Drink.

http://earthnotes.tripod.com/ckbk_l.htm
LIVER
Any problems of the liver must be attended by a medical professional. The most important herb to assist and help heal the liver is Milk thistle.

Dandelion is also a good liver herb.

LIVER PROBLEMS
Combine ¼ oz chicory flowers, ¼ oz sweet woodruff, ½ oz dandelion root, ½ oz speedwell. Use 1 tsp in ½ cup boiling hot water, steeped 8 minutes. Take 1 cup daily in mouthful doses.

Combine 1¼ oz restharrow root, ¼ oz alder buckthorn bark, 1¼ oz yellow gentian root, 2 oz peppermint. Use 1 tsp in ½ cup boiling hot water steeped 8 minutes. Take 1 cup daily in mouthful doses.

Keep on hand a tea made to your own taste that is composed of any combination of dandelion, chicory, licorice, turmeric, ginger, anise, caraway, celery seed, dill, clove, fennel, mint, rosemary and vanilla beans (for taste). Obviously, not all are used, but some of them according to personal taste. Use 1 tsp per cup of boiling water, steeped 7 minutes and take 1 cup daily.

Drink dandelion tea daily.

Combine ½ oz juniper berries, 1 oz dandelion root, ¼ oz marshmallow root, ¼ oz ginger root. Simmer herbs in 1 pint of water for 10 minutes, then cool and strain. Take ½ cup 3 times daily.

CIRRHOSIS of the LIVER
You will need tinctures of the following herbs Milk thistle
Vervain
Balmony
Fringe tree bark

Combine 2 tsp milk thistle tincture, 1 tsp vervain tincture, 1 tsp balmony tincture, 1 tsp fringe tree bark tincture to create a compounded tincture. Take 1/2 tsp 3 times a day and gradually build up to taking 1 tsp 3 times a day.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:31:18 PM by YooperMama »

YoopreMama

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2007, 07:28:03 PM »
My liver teas are really helping!  :)  Yellowdock root is so gross, but I'm drinking it!   :P

From the kefir thread:

http://bodyecology.com/coconutkefir.php

What People Say About Coconut Water Kefir
It completely stops your cravings for sugar. Imagine the benefits of that!

It aids digestion of all foods

It has a tonifying affect on the intestines, even flattening the abdomen!

It appears to cleanse the liver. In Chinese medicine the liver rules the skin, eyes, and joints. Coconut water kefir eases aches and joint pains. Many people report having a prettier complexion. They experience the brown liver spots on the skin fading away and skin tags, moles, or warts drying up and disappearing. Vision also improves.

It contains high levels of valuable minerals, including potassium, natural sodium, calcium, and magnesium, which explains why the hair, skin and nails become stronger and have a prettier shine.

It appears to have a beneficial, cleansing effect on the endocrine system (adrenals, thyroid, pituitary, ovaries). Women find that their periods are cleaner and healthier; some who had experienced early menopause have found this important monthly cleansing returning again.

It increases energy and gives you an overall feeling of good health.

Offline momofskc

• Learning
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2007, 09:48:03 AM »
I've read this whole thread and several of the other threads pertaining to liver.  Everyone has been so helpful. ;D I have been having for about 3 days tenderness in my gallbladder/liver area.  Even laying my arm across the area is uncomfortable.  I've been having some weird symptoms lately.  I think the brain fog and all of the hormone related problems apply to me.  Don't get me wrong my brain has been feeling foggy for years :D but it just seems to be worse now.  I think that with the help of all of you on WTM I have a better grasp on what I need to do.  I have to admit to being quite worried about this but all of you are helping me put this in perspective and giving me a plan of action. 

I think my liver problems stem mainly from being overweight and having a pretty high refined sugar diet.  Sometimes I am able to see an alternative med doc and he had told me last time that my pancreas was pretty hard and I needed to cut out all sugars.  I did that for awhile  :-[ but once I felt better I went back to old habits.  I've never been a drinker of any kind so I know I can feel ok about that.  But I think I have really abused my organs in other ways like being overweight.  I've weighed the same for about 15-16 years until about a year ago when I seemed to gain about 40 lbs for no reason.  I thought it was just my age. I'm 38. But now I see all of these other symptoms and it's all fitting together. 

Sorry this is so long.  I'm new to posting and I guess I needed to vent.
Thank you all for the help you give to everyone.
Julie:)

YoopreMama

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2007, 06:11:27 AM »
Just checking in... ;)

I think the liver teas are helping...however I am tiring of this lengthy rash that I'm attributing to detox.  So...I'm going to take a break on the herbs/teas, etc. and back off on grains for a week or so (good discussion on that helping her son's skin by likemanywaters).  I'm upping my good fats (coconut, avocado) and eating lots of fruits and veggies.  The chamomile oil and dead sea salts still aid w/ the itching.  Need to jump over to the thread on coconut oil sales and get the real thing...

Here is some more from the Liver Cleansing Diet book...where were we?   :)

Ch 2 Who can Benefit from the LCD?

The vast majority of people w/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome will get a big improvement after 8 weeks on the LCD b/c if the liver is constantly overworked, the general energy level in the body is drained.

Acetaminophen, if taken for long periods or in high doses is particularly toxic to the liver.  Not many people realize that chronic headaches can usually be reduced by cleansing the liver, although Chinese doctors have long known of this association. 

Women on HRT often experience weight gain and/or side effects because the HRT places an extra burden on the liver.  HRT induces the liver to make more proteins such as sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) & increased clotting factors.  The liver must also work harder to break down the hormones in HRT & some types of synthetic progesterone can cause increased cholesterol. Oral forms are more likely to stress the liver; estrogen & progesterone patches are much easier on the liver. 

Chapter 3:  Symptoms of an Unhappy Liver:

The signs of liver dysfunction vary tremendously, from very subtle symptoms to major incapacitating symptoms. In the very early stages of liver disease there are often no obvious symptoms & the problem is often discovered by accident on a routine blood test when liver enzymes are found to be elevated.

The tests that doctors use are not very sensitive--they check for damage rather than function.  Often the 1st biochemical sign of liver dysfunction is raised levels of blood fats, giving readings of fasting cholesterol > 212 mg/dl and triglycerides > 177 mg/dl.

Common Symptoms of Mild Liver Dysfunction:

Poor digestion, abdominal bloating, nausea (esp. after fatty foods), weight gain around the abdomen,and constipation.  Irritable bowel syndrome is often due to a sluggish liver.

Bad breath/coated tongue in the morning...unpleasant mood changes, depression, "foggy" brain (due to excessive amounts of metabolites finding their way into the blood stream).

Poor liver function can trigger or exacerbate allergic conditions such as hay fever, hives, skin rashes, & asthma. Auto-immune disorders are also linked to liver toxicity.

Headaches, hypoglycemia or unstable blood sugar levels.

Inability to tolerate fatty foods, gallbladder disease/gallstones, chronic fatigue syndrome,excessive body heat (sweating body odor), & decreased tolerance to alcohol.

Next time we'll look at the perspective of Chinese doctors.   ;)

YoopreMama

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2007, 01:39:05 PM »
OK...onto the Chinese:   ;D

In traditional Chinese medicine, the liver is considered to be an extremely important organ. They call the liver the "general of the army", in charge of the body's strategy and harmony. 

They refer to some phrase, "He is a bit liverish today." [am I dating myself by not knowing this?]   ::) :D  ...meaning to stay away from this person--they are in a very bad mood!   >:(

Many cases of depression could be treated w/ a Liver-Cleansing Diet & liver herbs, enabling the gradual withdrawl of anti-depressant medication. According to the Chinese, a stagnant liver results in "fermenting & heat" which causes "fire to rise" leading to agitation, poor sleep, dizziness, headaches & anger.  The Chinese call this "gan ho".  The English "gung-ho" comes from this and describes someone who is too pushy & hyped up. Chances are their liver is on fire b/c it is full of toxins. 

The Chinese always treat excessive weight conditions by helping liver function...they also attribute poor nails & muscle & tendon stiffness to liver weakness.  They also assess the state of the liver from the patient's eyes w/ dry, red & itching eyes being caused from excessive heat to the liver. 

I'm learning this so much better having to type it out!  ;D  Next Chapter (4) is on Liver Physiology & Function... :o

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2007, 03:23:29 PM »
... They also assess the state of the liver from the patient's eyes w/ dry, red & itching eyes being caused from excessive heat to the liver.

My son has had that... At certain times his eyes are dry and itchy.

YoopreMama

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2007, 12:49:18 AM »
Saw this on the liver flush page, I think...looks interesting...

http://www.sensiblehealth.com/liver.html

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »
Thought this info would go well here too:

Here is my trail of puzzle pieces from Shonda Parker's "The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy":

The liver is responsible for the regulation and release of hormones in the blood, maintaining blood sugar (glucose) levels and detoxifying the blood of toxins...

The pancreas is an exocrine gland (exocrine glands secrete into the intestine, not the blood) that broduces insulin, which is a glucose-regulating hormone. Its function depends largely on the liver (liver functions poorly, pancreas functions poorly)... Glucose in foods is a fuel immediately available for use in the body. Excess glucose is converted to glycogen and stored in the liver until needed; then it is converted back to glucose for use...Too many refined carbohydrates place a greater demand on the pancreas. The pancreas then overproduces insulin to control the up/down blood sugar variations. Blood sugar rises; the pancreas produces an insulin surge. This creates a hypoglycemic reaction/abuse syndrome. Abusing the pancreas in this way can and does produce diabetes if the pancreas is weakened by the up/down bariations, family history, alcohol, smoking, stress, obesity and/or lack of exercise...

Circulating hormones...cause muscles all over the body to relax. These relaxed muscles include those in the digestive and intestinal system. This means that foods are not processed or digested as quickly as before pregnancy. Bile discharge is sluggish which increases the risk of gallstone formation...This longer elimination time increases the likelihood of constipaiton and reabsorption of toxic waste from the intestines back into the bloodstream.

Cholesterol...HDL transports cholesterol to the liver for metabolism and excretion... Saturated fats...tell the liver to produce more cholesterol. Unsaturated fats tell the liver to produce less...Fiber absorbs bile which contains cholesterol and moves it along the intestines for excretion. Lack of fiber means the bile and cholesterol will be reabsorbed.

Those people with eczema and psoriasis appear to have an essential fatty acid (EFA) deficiency...Zinc is important in fatty acid metabolism in which eczema and psoriasis sufferers are deficient...recommended for psoriasis is milk thistle extract which improves liver function.

Gallstones are formed...when the bile crystallizes into hard pellets that can be as small as grains of sand or as big as an inch in diameter...sometimes when the gallbladder contracts to release bile, a stone or stones are forced out and plug the opening of the duct leading to the liver and small intestine...pain that may radiate from the upper right chest...Nausea and vomiting sometimes accompany the painful attack.

Hypoglycemia is often called "low blood sugar." It is caused by faulty carbohydrate metabolism. The pancreas causes too much insulin to be released in response to the ingestion of simple sugars or refined carbohydrates... These simple sugars enter the bloodstream quickly...and overwhelm the body system with glucose. The pancreas responds by releasing too much insulin which causes a dive in blood sugar levels. The adrenal glands then release epinephrine (adrenaline)...The liver then releases storged glycogen (sugar) to regulate blood sugar and insulin levels.
As the entire body becomes nutrient depleted, cravings for sugar and/or fruit are common. This is an attempt to keep up glucose levels. A cycle of up-down blood sugar fluctuations ensues. This physiologic process designed to protect us in emergencies, if abused by regular ingestion of refined carbohydrates, can lead to a "wearing-out" of the pancreas, adrenals and liver.

...Though not technically part of the canal itself, the liver, gall bladder and pancreas are crucial to digestion. The liver produces bile, which emulsifies fats and aids peristalsis. Bile is stored in the gall bladder, which contracts and secretes the bile into the small intestine. The pancreas produces three important digestive enzymes: amylase, which helps digests starch; lipase, which takes part in the absorption of fat; and protease, which breaks down protein...

YoopreMama

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »
Yes, THANK YOU!

YoopreMama

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »
More from Liver Cleansing Diet...

Ch 4 on the Liver’s Physiology & Function mostly repeats what has already been posted.

Ch 5, though, discusses 12 vital principles to improving liver function.  Here they are, briefly summarized. 

1.  Listen to your body—don’t eat if you’re not hungry; conversely, don’t put up w/ hunger pains. Eating when not hungry works your liver too hard.

2.  Drink @ least 8-12 glasses of filtered water daily
, as this helps to cleanse the liver & kidneys & aids w/ weight loss.  Your body requires small & frequent sips of water otherwise your cells shrink w/ dehydration & their membranes dry out. 

3.  Avoid eating large amounts of sugar, especially refined sugars, as the liver will convert this to fat.  Avoid all artificial sweeteners, as these are toxic to the liver & cause hypoglycemia & fatigue.  Try carob (healthy chocolate alternative), halvah, dried fruits & buts, natural licorice sticks, fruit sorbet….occasionally.

4.  Don’t become obsessed w/ counting calories, as the menu plans are nutritionally balanced & contain sufficient calories for the average moderately active adult.  Ignore the scales, as weight loss will occur w/ the improvement of liver function over time. 

5.  Avoid foods that you may be allergic to or that you know from past experience have upset you. Try digestive enzyme tablets/powders at the beginning of the meal.  Start your meal w/ something raw or a small glass of water w/ 1t. of apple cider vinegar (raw).  Chew food slowly & thoroughly, as digestion begins w/ saliva mixed w/ food in the mouth.  The most common foods to cause intestinal irritation & irritable bowel syndrome are wheat & dairy products…due to reactive proteins as well as gluten & lactose.  Don’t overdose on coffee, as excessive amounts are toxic to the liver. 

6.  Be aware of good intestinal hygiene, as the liver must filter out & destroy any bacteria& viruses present in our food.  Eat only foods that are fresh & avoid the regular reheating of food as bacteria breed in stored, cooked foods, especially meat.  Never reheat food more than once.  Always wash your hands before eating.

7.  Do not eat if you feel stressed or anxious, as during these states your blood flow is diverted away from the intestines & liver to other area of the body.  Eating at these times will lead to abdominal bloating & poor digestion.

8.  Check if organically grown fresh produce free of pesticides is available in your area.  Your local health store will know & you can often have these things home delivered (where does she live?)  ??? from a food co-operative. Ask your butcher is organically reared products are available & always buy free-range eggs & chickens.  These types of products contain less pesticides, hormones, antibiotics & saturated fats.  Avoid processed foods containing artificial chemicals such as preservatives, colorings, flavorings & artificial sweeteners.

9.  Obtain your protein from diverse sources (including legumes or pulses), not just from animal products such as meat, eggs & fish. You can obtain first-class protein by combining any3 of the 4 following foods—grains, nuts, seed & legumes, at one meal.  Grains are wheat, buckwheat, rice, barley, oats, rye, millet, spelt, kamut, quinoa, amaranth & others…Legumes are beans such as soya, adzuki, butter, lima, kidney, peas, chickpeas, & lentils. Recipe follows for boosting fatty acids & protein:

I just discovered a ground nut/seed blend that's great in many places...smoothies, peanut butter sandwiches, sprinkled on fruit salads, veggie salad, hot cereal, pasta, etc.

From The Liver Cleansing Diet (Sandra Cabot):

3 cups Flax Seed
2 cups Sunflower Seeds
1 cup Almonds

Grind and store in dark container in refrigerator.  I halved it and it filled my peanut butter jar.  Good source of protein, essential fatty acids, minerals, fiber, and is definitely and anti-ageing mixture.

10.  Choose your breads & spreads wisely.  Try avocado, hummus or tahini as an alternative spread on breads.  (I’m not going into her diatribe on what kinds of breads to buy—you all know what is good!)

11.  Avoid constipation by eating PLENTY of raw fruits & vegetables & drinking water throughout the day.  Look into acidophilus & lactobacilli bacteria…making your own yogurt, kefir, fermented foods, etc.  If you have heartburn, dyspepsia, reflux or indigestion, try aloe vera juice, chamomile, meadowsweet, golden seal, peppermint & slippery elm.

12.  Avoid excessive saturated or damaged fats as these will harm your liver if you eat them regularly. [But eat the healthy fats!] Signs of essential fatty acid deficiency are: dry and itchy skin, eczema, hair loss, joint pains, reduced fertility, increased rate of miscarriage, depression & poor memory, slow metabolic rate w/ weight gain, reduced immune function, hormonal imbalances, liver degeneration, fatigue, circulatory problems, degenerative diseases, increased rate of ageing & high triglycerides. The liver is the supreme fat-burning organ of the body, if you choke it w/ damaged  fats, it will be unable to perform its metabolic functions & your entire metabolism will slow down.  As a result you will gain weight easily particularly around the abdominal area.  The liver takes excessive dietary fat & turns it into cholesterol which it then turns into bile which is pumped out of your body through the intestines.  Provided your diet is high in fiber, this excess fat will pass thru you via your bowel movements.  Thus, in a simplistic way, we could say that a healthy liver pumps fat out of your body and thus keeps you slim.  The LCD stimulates this fat eliminating process& makes it much easier to lose those stubborn fat deposits, even in people who have been overweight for years.  A healthy liver also manufactures a specialized coating for fat called lipoprotein which enables fat to travel around in the blood stream.  If your liver cannot do this efficiently, fat builds up in the liver causing a “fatty liver” & once this occurs it becomes increasingly difficult to lose weight.

There's more on fats, oils and cholesterol...then some natural therapies for the liver.   :)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2007, 03:11:59 PM »
I have a comment on the previous post of:

"Don't eat if you're not hungry"

I am always never hungry.  I honestly eat out of habit.  If I ate because of hunger then I would probably eat a couple handfulls of something.  That can't be healthy, can it?

YoopreMama

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2007, 09:33:41 AM »
I read so much about cod liver oil and skin...time to insert this thread on it:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,309.90.html (HB endorsed)   ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:42:08 PM by healthybratt »

YoopreMama

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2007, 12:05:54 AM »
Hey!  ;D This looks messed up!  That last post look like it's from me, but I think HB did it. Heeeyyy....are you setting me up, here? ;)  I don't see my reply to HinO? Hmmm.... ???

I just started beet (eat lots of beets and carrots, remember) kvass and I don't know if that's what helped, but it really was all that I did differently...and my skin made exponential progress overnight.   

I am truly stunned.  :o

Other possibilities...maybe all of my good fats caught up and/or my liver is done detoxing for a bit? Maybe my bowels cleared, too...I don't know, but I really recommend you check out the beet kvass thread

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=2283.msg64199;topicseen#new

and now a new one, cabbage juice
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=5972.msg64197;topicseen#new

...great for skin disorders/digestive troubles...simple stuff to make...
P.S.
Re: the skin...I also must add that I changed my bed's flannel sheets to cotton (warming u.p. here! ), and that helped me not to sweat so much at night. Sweating, I think, brings out toxins (think "sauna"), and maybe that's why I itched so much.  I've also added kefir to the regiment.

HinO,   :)
Re: never being hungry...what happens if you wake up and don't eat for awhile (no juice, just water)?  I recall you saying something before about your blood sugar.  Do you keep some kind of sugar going throughout the day?  That's curious.  I know somechildren are "never" hungry b/c they have juice all day.  When I did the Weigh Down Workshop years ago, we had to wait until hunger hit...sometimes it took people longer than 24 hours to find true hunger!  :o

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2007, 07:42:34 PM »
I read so much about cod liver oil and skin...time to insert this thread on it:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,309.90.html (HB endorsed)   ;)

Where's my contract and how much do I get paid? ;D

(better?  must have been sleeping, when I did that - weird ???)
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2007, 02:26:57 AM »
You are too funny! :D  We enjoy the line-dancing superheroes--my children, especially,  love your graphics!   ;D