Author Topic: Valve prolapse (hole in heart)  (Read 7123 times)

Asthedeer1

Valve prolapse (hole in heart)
« on: February 10, 2007, 06:08:51 PM »
Hi all, When my soon to be three year old son was born we found out he had a hole in his heart.  I totally freaked thinking I did something wrong etc. etc.  The doctor said it was'nt serious and that the hole should close on it's own but the last doctor I took him too said he could still hear it and my husband says he can too, (I have never noticed it).  He does not have any symtoms like shortness of breath or blue lips and nails.  So I was just wondering if anyone on here has any information on this condition?  I have looked online a lot but can't come up with any causes or preventions.  I am pregnant now and want to make sure it was'nt something I was doing while pregnant that could have caused this.  Any info is appreciated. 

Rebecca :)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Valve prolapse (hole in heart)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 04:52:43 AM »
First of all, as much as we would like to think that we have control over outcomes in regards to the health of our children, we do not. Our task is to do the best we can with what we have. Beyond that, it's in God's hands, IMO.

That's from a mom of a child who had open heart surgery at 6 months old.

Second, you're blessed that you can hear the defect. We couldn't. I asked the pediatric cardiologist why the defect couldn't be heard with a stethascope. He told me that the larger the defect, the quieter it will be. He compared it to a garden hose with a hole. A small hole spits, and spews and makes a lot of noise. A large hole just gushes and doesn't show itself except on an electrocardiogram.

If you are still concerned, I would recommend going to a pediatric cardiologist for a screening and consultation. He would likely answer many of your questions and put your mind to ease about the new little one (as much as pregnancy hormones will allow  ;)).
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
I don't have any words of wisdom in this area but I thought you might find this interesting. I had my last baby at home. To prepare for his birth I did LOTS of research. One of the things they do at birth in the hospital is clamp the cord as soon as the baby is out so they can sell the placenta and blood. This is the blood that the baby would normally get if the doctors didn't stop it. Anyhow, this can cause a whole host of problems, including holes in the heart. It wouldn't make a difference now but it is interesting. It really isn't something you should even worry about "how" it happened unless you are having more children in the future. Off the top of my head I know a place I read about this was
www.lotusbirth.com
I don't know where on the site it was. I just know it is in there somewhere.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline joyinautism

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »
     I am in agreement with SC because I am confused. A hole in the heart is usually considered to be in between the pulmonary artery and the aorta. Is the PDA or patent ductus that does not properly closes after birth. Babies in utero do not "breath" so God created a way for the blood to bypass the lungs until the baby is born and takes its first breath.

Tiny receptors detect the increase in oxygen level in the newborn's blood and the PDA starts to close. The baby start getting more pink as his blood gets better oxygenated. It normally closes by the third day after birth. We are indeed fearfully and wonderfully made. Small holes close on their own large ones require medication and or surgery as SC stated.

Valve prolapses are something different all together as valves are in between the heart chambers. The valves control the flow in the heart to from and out again. I think a visit to a cardiologist will set your mind at ease, and help reduce your concerns. The causes of a hole in the hearts are usually prematurity or Rubella infection during the first trimester otherwise they tend to be an sporadic finding with no precipitating cause. In plain English the Doctors do not know why it happens.

Eat well, rest, take care of yourself and your growing family. Again follow SC advise and reduce your stress. God bless you.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 06:11:33 AM »
Just bumping this up to see if anyone has new info.  I found out yesterday that I have a pinhole in my heart, which could be causing the TIAs I've been having, some of which have been pretty scary.  The options the doctors gave me is to just keep taking my baby aspirin and hope for the best, take coumadin for the rest of my life, or have surgery to repair the hole.  Now, I am not a huge fan of sugery, but I guess I'm thinking that if it would take care of it forever, and I wouldn't need to worry about thinning my blood, that it could be worth it.  The procedure they do now doesn't require opening the chest, but going up through the groin.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »
Just bumping this up to see if anyone has new info.  I found out yesterday that I have a pinhole in my heart, which could be causing the TIAs I've been having, some of which have been pretty scary.  The options the doctors gave me is to just keep taking my baby aspirin and hope for the best, take coumadin for the rest of my life, or have surgery to repair the hole.  Now, I am not a huge fan of sugery, but I guess I'm thinking that if it would take care of it forever, and I wouldn't need to worry about thinning my blood, that it could be worth it.  The procedure they do now doesn't require opening the chest, but going up through the groin.  Does anyone have experience with this?

MG,

While I haven't had the heart thing I have had tests where they go through the groin.  They went up through my heart and down into my hand.  It's not difficult (although can feel odd), the recovery is fairly quick.  IF I had to choose between coumadin for the rest of my life, or the surgery, I'd be doing the surgery.  The drugs could affect your ability to have kids in the future (which I know has already been a problem) and can be quite dangerous.  I would think with repairing the hole and taking something like CLO for inflammation, etc. you would be much better off.  Surgery is never a light decision but sometimes the permanent solution is the best one.  The other thing is, I wonder if there is something more natural that you could take in place of coumadin?  If your blood needs to be thinned that greatly I'm not sure what you could use, but it might be worth looking into.

Bless you!

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:01:06 AM »
Oh, the coumadin is absolutely not an option for me.  I'm taking quite a bit of cod liver oil and extra vitamin E with a baby aspirin currently, to keep from clotting, and I'm doing some research to find something to replace the baby aspirin with (bilberry looks promising).  There are several herbs that thin the blood like coumadin, but I really would rather not take them either, KWIM?  Because it won't be solving the problem, or even touching the problem, and causing other problems from having my blood too thin.  Thanks for the input on the procedure; good to know about recovery time!  We have one of the best heart hospitals in the country just an hour or so away.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
You're young, MG.  "Usually" small holes and valve problems don't cause problems.  But if this is causing TIA's it make sense to fix it and be done with it for life.  Have you researched on the web everything involved with repairing the hole?  I would make myself an expert at the subject before undergoing it so you understand any and all risks, etc.  It will simply help you to be prepared.  But again, I wouldn't want to live on aspirin or any other drug for the rest of my life either.  Especially so young.  And TIA's are dangerous.  They can very seriously lead to massive strokes which you don't want anyway. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 02:36:18 PM »
Well, right now there's no way to know if it's causing TIAs or not.  The cardiologist said that usually, tiny clots are sent to the extremities, and are harmless.  But when there is a whole in the heart, it can send them straight to the brain.  She also said that it's controversial in medical circles whether these little holes are a problem or not, because there is no scientific way to measure TIAs, or where they come from.  So it could cure the TIAs completely, or do nothing at all, because there is no way of knowing.  I also have autoimmune tendencies, but the clotting factors are not consistently elevated, so I believe that with nutrition, I can keep them in balance. But knowing that I tend to clot more than the average person, it only makes sense to me to eliminate a fixable cause of clots.  At least, if I did clot, it would be less likely to cause a TIA.  

I watched a video diagram of the surgery I believe is the one, and it's basically threading a small device, kind of like a closed umbrella, into the heart, and inserting it into the hole, then opening the "umbrella" to cover the hole.  In time, heart tissue would grow over it, and it would become part of the heart.  Honestly, surgery scares me to death.  But I think a stroke scares me more.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
MG... I just saw this and while I'm not an expert, I have noticed that the earlier in life one has these procedures done, the better they tend to do.  (I'm an ICU RN in an open-heart unit).  Most of these issues don't tend to get better but become progressive worse thru out the years.  THis leads to fewer choices as the potential for complications increases.
I have heard of a few people successfully healing themselves with natural modes, but honestly I don't know where to point you, and the number is small.
There are always potential complications with any surgery, but with the procedure you described it sounds as if you will not have any major incisions, and recovery would be minimal... this is a plus. 
Whatever you and your family decide I wish you the best and am sending up prayers for you....

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »
Mrs. B, I was kind of out of it, and DH doesn't remember exactly, but he said that it's a very small hole in the wall of the atrial chamber.  Does that kind of thing get worse?  How does it get worse?  Can you tell me anything more?  I really wish I had been more awake so I could have asked her some questions.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
Mrs. B, I was kind of out of it, and DH doesn't remember exactly, but he said that it's a very small hole in the wall of the atrial chamber.  Does that kind of thing get worse?  How does it get worse?  Can you tell me anything more?  I really wish I had been more awake so I could have asked her some questions.
I'll see if I can get an exact answer from one of our surgeons tomorrow, but generally, in my understanding,  the problem isn't that the hole enlarges, but that as we age, your body has more stress put upon it.  This would mean that while you may have mild symptoms with stress or exercise now, in the future, when heart failure becomes more of an issue (possibly) in advanced age then you would already have a strike against you. 
Your heart pumps a certain volume of blood with each beat, and if there is a hole then part of that volume might be lost, decreasing the output of the heart.  Also the potential for clots is a grave danger as well.
I would encourage you to call the doctor who diagnosed it and speak with him or his nurse for exact information (you are the client, afterall).  They realize that often the patients might not be understanding all the info they are giving due to sedatives or just nerves.  Still praying MG....

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »
I have appointments set up, it's just waiting for the bureaucracy.  I really want to do my homework on the surgeon too.  Thanks for the explanation!  DH and I both think it only makes sense to get it fixed, because our insurance is good, and I would hate for it always to be in the back of my mind that, I could have fixed it and didn't.