Author Topic: Cuticle care  (Read 8042 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Cuticle care
« on: February 08, 2007, 09:17:54 AM »
This might seem like a dumb question,  ::)  but I really don't know how a person goes about getting those cuticles that scream "sophisticated"  :D ::) KWIM The ones that look nice by shiny, healthy, nicely cut  or stylish  ;)  fingernails.

Are you supposed to push the cuticle back or not? And how do you manage it so that it doesn't start peeling?

I do use a little oil from time to time, especially when my hands get dry I massage oil into the cuticle and beds of my nails because it seems to keep my nails stronger. I rarely get hang nails or flaking so that is that much :P

Now I suppose I am officially labeled a farmgirl ::) so all you "fancy" ladies, please educate me ;D

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
Re: Cuticle care
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:15 PM »
bump
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 05:53:10 PM »

Are you supposed to push the cuticle back or not?

No, no, no and double NO! lol!  :D Your cuticles are there to keep dirt and germs out.  When you push them back(popular in manicures) you let stuff in.  Many women who have a lot of manicures are prone to nail fungus and all sorts of gross stuff.  I believe healthy nail care is started from the inside out.  But I suppose genetics has its place.  Just my opinions on cuticles.

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 03:36:33 AM »

Are you supposed to push the cuticle back or not?

No, no, no and double NO! lol!  :D Your cuticles are there to keep dirt and germs out.  When you push them back(popular in manicures) you let stuff in.  Many women who have a lot of manicures are prone to nail fungus and all sorts of gross stuff.  I believe healthy nail care is started from the inside out.  But I suppose genetics has its place.  Just my opinions on cuticles.

Wow I didn't know that!  I don't normally have time to think about my cuticles, but I am really glad that I know not to bug them.  Thanks healthyinOhio

Offline gr8topraise

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:28:55 AM »
I have always had thick cuticles that grow so fast...so frustrating.  You know those booths in the mall that sell Dead Sea Salt products?  I was able to talk the women down to a low price, and I got the cuticle oil in a kit.  I am AMAZED at how nice my cuticles look.  I've had the stuff for three months, and I use it at least every other day.  You can hardly see a "dent" in the bottle.  I do push them back after putting on the oil, and my nails have also become stronger.

Here is a recipe that I found in a book that I have, 1001 Natural Remedies, by Laurel Vukovic:

Warm Oil for Cuticles
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (60ml)
5 drops lavender essential oil
2 drops lemon essential oil

Warm the olive oil to a comfortable temperature and stir in the essential oils.  Soak your fingertips in the warm oil for 10 minutes.  This mixture can be reused several times; store in a cool place and reheat as needed. 
Make the most of every moment. :D

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »
My hands are so embarrassing. I take care of everything...even my toes and feet but my hands are so bad. Ever hear that saying about how you can tell a lot about a person by their hands? Well if you look at mine you would think i don't take care of myself at all. LOL!! I used to cut my cuticles but i found out that's bad. I also notice i get hang nails when i do that. I really just cant keep them looking good. My nails break and aren't pretty even though i take supermoms. They do grow longer now but they just don't have that pretty white tip look like some ppls.

I think i would be better off just cutting my short and painting a coat of clear polish over them. I didn't know you shouldn't push the cuticles back but thanks for sharing. When i do push them back I'm tempted to cut them which is just a really bad idea so i will happily leave them alone now. :)
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4