Author Topic: Help with lung infection...  (Read 15049 times)

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
Help with lung infection...
« on: February 08, 2007, 05:33:00 AM »
DH is developing a lung infection - he is an asthmatic and lung infections can sometimes lead to pneumonia for him.  The doctor begins him on prednisone and a strong antibiotic - which for DH brings on all types of other problems, but does eventually get rid of the lung infection.  He really dislikes the effects of the prednisone.

I am VERY new to all of this and wanted to know if there are some natural ways to help relieve, get rid of this on our own?  It is just at the beginning and it is loose, he was able to cough up some of the mucus this morning after a hot, steamy shower.

Any help would be appreciated.......thanks   :)
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
Re: Help with lung infection...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 08:11:33 AM »
A.J.
I don't have any answers for you, but go to the www.bulkherbstore.com and type lung infection or pneumonia in the search box and a list of herbs will come up and you can read about each individual herb.  This has been a great help to me when I had no books to reference.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 08:13:39 AM »
I just went to the site and "lung infection" doesn't work but, pneumonia brought several results.
HTH,
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:51:39 AM »
I have heard of a product called Oregacillin, which by the name, tells me it is medicinal strength oregano.  It is very supportive of the lungs and I've recommended it for my sister who gets frequent lung infections.  Let me know if you need additional information on it and i"ll post it.

Thanks and pray everything is going well!!
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:53:14 AM »
That was one of my first books as well!  I really like it.  Have you ever shopped on ebay?  There is a branch called www.half.com that deals in books, movies, and music.  I ordered several of my herb books from there.  They are used but all the ones I ordered were in great condition.  Plus, they are cheaper than new!  (This is always GREAT with the MAN  8) )
I am glad you found what you needed.
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 09:05:16 AM »
DH is developing a lung infection - he is an asthmatic and lung infections can sometimes lead to pneumonia for him.  The doctor begins him on prednisone and a strong antibiotic - which for DH brings on all types of other problems, but does eventually get rid of the lung infection.  He really dislikes the effects of the prednisone.

I am VERY new to all of this and wanted to know if there are some natural ways to help relieve, get rid of this on our own?  It is just at the beginning and it is loose, he was able to cough up some of the mucus this morning after a hot, steamy shower.

My DH has gotten bronchitis &/or walking pneumonia every year for over 20yrs :(. He was treated once with steroids & antibiotics but the best treatment by far that we have found (worked MUCH better than steroids & antibiotics) is Super Strength Oreganol from North American Herb & Spice.;D We used it for the first time last year when my DH had gotten so bad that you could hear the fluid in his lungs every time he coughed & he could barely breath. :( :( (I know it should have been treated earlier but he was being stubborn about it) We were so impressed with how well it worked that we have used it for every chest cold that anyone in the family has gotten since; & it has worked every time.;D Even DH is impressed by how well it works.;D ;D This is ess. oregano oil mixed w/olive oil. It comes in capsules & liquid. There are other brands of oregano that are cheaper but oregano is frequently miss identified &/or sub. w/cheaper oils that can be toxic. NAH&S oregano isn't toxic & has the medical research to back it up. The web site is: www.p-73.com. Check out books by Dr. Cass Ingram to find out more ways to use oreganol. The other thing to realize w/bronchitis & sinus infections is that they frequently are NOT bacteria but instead are fungus infections & antibiotics will not clear them up. The Mayo clinic on 9/9/99 stated that most chronic sinus infections are fungal not bacterial. Oreganal is antibacterial, anti-fungal, & antiviral so it will get to the root whatever is causing it.;D Just so you know, because the oil is taken under the tongue & absorbed through the mouth into the bloodsteam less is needed so it costs less to use than the caps but the oil is STRONG. The other thing to know is that it seems to get rid of the goop from the lungs through the kidneys & bowels so give lots of fluids & expect extra bathroom trips.:o

Check these threads as well:
Bronchitis
Help! Is there a natural replacement for an inhaler
Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies
Ultra 3 Immune  
cold-induced asthma

Once you get him over the immediate problem, I would DEFINITELY look into the possibility that he has yeast issues. Yeast/fungus CAN cause asthma. Doug Kaufmann's Fungus Link books talk about this & so does  Dr. Cass Ingram's books.

If your looking for good, easy to use herb books 10 Essential Herbs by Lalitha Thomas is a VERY good one & only about $15.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Lavender~Rosemary

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »
Thanks for this info.  My husband has terrible problems with his lungs and just about any cold he gets ends up there for a few weeks.  The doctor actually told him that he has Reactive Airway Disease.  I'd never heard of it.  But when tries to go running his lungs hurt after a while.  The doctor gave him albuterol to inhale if he ever wants to go running.  I just hate adding to his chemical intake since he already takes antihistamines everyday.  And is practically addicted to nasal spray!!  He tells me he is going on a fast/cleanse next week - I hope it helps him. 
Thanks agian.  You always give such great info. :)
Stacy 

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »
Herbalmom-
Do you have a preference for the oil or capsules?  I looked online and could only find it in the oil with a dropper. 
I really think this could help my hubby - as long as he is not allergic.  He seems to have reactions to lots of stuff! (The latest two have been wheatgrass and spirulina)  Thanks again
Stacy

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:15:42 PM »
Herbalmom-
Do you have a preference for the oil or capsules?  I looked online and could only find it in the oil with a dropper. 
I really think this could help my hubby - as long as he is not allergic.  He seems to have reactions to lots of stuff! (The latest two have been wheatgrass and spirulina)  Thanks again
Stacy

Both work but you need less & it costs less to use the oil under the tongue but it doesn't taste good. Kids hate it, (but still take it) DH has gotten used to it, I cheat & put the oil into my own gelatin capsules. Under the tongue it's absorbed into the bloodstream, pills have to dissolve in the stomach & get diluted.  Get the triple strength, it doesn't cost much more & it is 3xS as strong so it costs less in the long run. Depending where you found it, you may be able to get it cheaper here:
Vitamin Cottage this is my local HFS, they have good prices & they ship anywhere in the US.

BTW, he could be allergic or he could be having die off reactions, if it's die off it means your on the right track. Food for thought.

Thanks for this info. My husband has terrible problems with his lungs and just about any cold he gets ends up there for a few weeks. The doctor actually told him that he has Reactive Airway Disease. I'd never heard of it. But when tries to go running his lungs hurt after a while. The doctor gave him albuterol to inhale if he ever wants to go running. I just hate adding to his chemical intake since he already takes antihistamines everyday. And is practically addicted to nasal spray!! He tells me he is going on a fast/cleanse next week - I hope it helps him.
Thanks agian. You always give such great info. :)
Stacy

Be sure to check out the books by Doug Kaufmann & Dr Cass Ingram & look into treating for yeast/fungus. A LOT of lung problems are actually yeast/fungus.

You CAN get addicted to nasal spray. When you use reg. nasal spray you get rebound swelling, it swells MORE after the spray wears off than you had before you used it. Nutribiotic makes a nose spray that contains water, GSE & vit C. It is antibacterial, antifungal, thins down the gook in the nose but doesn't cause rebound. My mom bought 1 to have the bottle & then refills it using a mixture of 1cup pure water, 3-4 drops GSE, & a TINY pinch of vit C powder. She refills the bottle & then dumps the extra, she figures it's so cheap to make that it's not worth storing the extra. She has been really happy with it. I haven't bought it yet because we don't use nasal spray very often but I plan to.

This thread has lots of ways to flush the nose & sinuses:
Plugged Ear 

My mom uses the same mixture that she uses in the nasal spray to flush her nose & sinuses so your DH could use it instead of the salt water referred to in the thread.  HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:17:56 PM by herbalmom »

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 12:18:08 AM »
Thank you all for your help as well :) 

I posted about Oregacillin just a few days ago, but only God knew that I was going to need to put this to work in my own life w/ DH today.

I am feeling somewhat discontent right now as it is 4am and his fever has come back worse. It is now up to 101.8.....that is high for us because we never get sick. I gave him some Oil of Oregano (the one mentioned above, I bought) around 9:45pm.  I gave him 2 instead of one capsule thinking the extra boost might help.  Did I do him more harm than good?

It seems everything I'm doing will help for a little while (very short term) but he only gets worse.  I've been giving Ibuprofren for pain and I think that has kept fever down but I  am cautious to keep giving him some every 6 hours.  We've been fighting this for 2 days...almost 3.

I just checked his fever again and now it's up to 102.7.....any suggestions would be helpful! The back of his throat is on fire.  I've given him overall about 3-4,000 mg of Vit C and some echinacea as well.

Thanks for your help
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 06:12:38 AM »
I  am cautious to keep giving him some every 6 hours.  We've been fighting this for 2 days...almost 3.

I just checked his fever again and now it's up to 102.7.....any suggestions would be helpful! The back of his throat is on fire.  I've given him overall about 3-4,000 mg of Vit C and some echinacea as well.
My kids, in the past have fought infections which kept them feverish for up to 7 or 8 days.  I don't think this is going to a definitive cause for worry; however, if the fever continues to climb beyond reasonable, check the fevers thread for natural fever relievers.  I personally used the egg whites on toast and it worked like a charm tastes yummy too.

Also check the other cold & cough threads listed in a previous post for more info on natural immune boosters and healers.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »
I  am cautious to keep giving him some every 6 hours.  We've been fighting this for 2 days...almost 3.

My kids, in the past have fought infections which kept them feverish for up to 7 or 8 days.  I don't think this is going to a definitive cause for worry; however, if the fever continues to climb beyond reasonable, check the fevers thread for natural fever relievers.  I personally used the egg whites on toast and it worked like a charm tastes yummy too.

Also check the other cold & cough threads listed in a previous post for more info on natural immune boosters and healers.

Thanks... It seemed to have gotten worse before it got better.  I do this with my children when they have fevers...I worry (although I try really hard not to) and by the 3rd day, when I'm exhausted the fever breaks.  We kept praying through the night.  His temp got up to 103 and then he wanted an expectorant, so I gave him some. Within 20 minutes, he was coughing up all kinds of nasty colored phleghm.  His fever broke and he's feeling a little better. 

The throat is still on fire and body aches still present, but I can handle that!  I'll check out those other threads :)

Thanks again.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 10:01:39 AM »
The throat is still on fire
You might try some catnip, peppermint and thyme tea - works wonders for my sore throats.  The thyme is spicy like black pepper, so you may have to sweeten it for him, but the peppermint helps with the taste.  The mint and the catnip also help with body aches.  Breathing eucalyptus on a rag is also very soothing to a rough throat.
  My favorite herb book!!

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 10:43:24 AM »
That's great.  I am going to use these ideas on my husband
Thanks,
Stacy

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »
the best treatment by far that we have found (worked MUCH better than steroids & antibiotics) is Super Strength Oreganol from North American Herb & Spice. We used it for the first time last year when my DH had gotten so bad that you could hear the fluid in his lungs every time he coughed & he could barely breath.   (I know it should have been treated earlier but he was being stubborn about it) We were so impressed with how well it worked that we have used it for every chest cold that anyone in the family has gotten since; & it has worked every time. Even DH is impressed by how well it works.  This is ess. oregano oil mixed w/olive oil.

Question: Doesn't Beeyoutiful's Yeast Assasin have oregano oil in it? Would taking that have a similar effect? Perhaps the concentration isn't high enough...

Just asking because I have some of the YA on hand right now.

Ta! kate
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »

My husband usually has to go the doctor for steriods and antibiotics also when he gets a cold that settles in his chest. But last time I was able to give him the right stuff and he got better instead of going to the doctor.

He took

Clear  Lungs capsules (Ridgecrest Herbals) can be taken every 4 hours around the clock as needed

Goldenseal - around 6 a day

Bee Propolis- sometimes as many as 3 every 2 hours.

It worked!