Author Topic: capturing baby's hand and foot prints  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Angie

• Wide Eyed
capturing baby's hand and foot prints
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:55:43 AM »
Does anyone know of something readily available at home to use for making prints?ie: beet juice (doesn't work well)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: capturing baby's hand and foot prints
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:14:55 AM »
I found this on Google.  maybe it will help.

http://www.easyfunschool.com/article1337.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »
Well whenever we eat pomegranates they stain EVERYTHING.  I was thinking that if you don't want to paint your kids' hands and feet, you could paint the paper and then dip the hand in pomegranage juice.  It really sticks to wall paint...

Another thing I did with our squirmy little one was press it into crayola model magic modeling clay/compound.  It isn't plaster, it is like foam.  It comes in fabulous colors, and it weighs a few ozs.  It is good stuff, easy to glue a piece of ribbon to the back.

It is very clean; no mess at all.  Doesn't stain (or didn't stain).  Dries quick.

Here it is:
http://a62.g.akamai.net/7/62/10424/8eb4d91686a828/www.crayola.com/images/products/large_modelmagic.jpg
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Angie

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 03:05:38 PM »
Thank you both for responding!

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 05:54:16 PM »
I used fabric paint on my youngest, to make a T-shirt for fathers day. It worked great, but I wouldn't know how to make a fabric paint. I bought ours for a couple bucks I think.
Visionary mom

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 06:50:32 PM »
I could never get my babies to hold still for anything! ;D  I finally gave up on getting prints and decided to take a close-up picture of their hands and feet.  While it took a few tries, it was a lot less messy and easier than the ink prints.  Just a thought!
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline DaysofGrace

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »
This makes a great relief hand or foot print. You get some embroidery hoops (large enough to fit the hand or foot in). You may want to tape them together on the outside edge so that you have a deeper edge. Then you buy some DAP window compound...honestly I don't know what this is for? It's in a can, in the hardward section, and it's a white puddy like texture.

- Put some saran wrap down on the table.
- Dump out a large enough glob, larger than the hoops on the saran wrap
- Have your child make his handprint in the smoothed out glob
- Have DH take your child to wash, he's done.
- Push the oiled embroidery hoops down a little into the DAP, so to make a seal (and center the hand print)
- Place 2 straws or at least one straw in the top and leave it there. This will be the hole to hang it up.
- Pour plaster of paris in the mold.
- Let it set up.
- Carefully peel mold out of the DAP and take off hoops.

It's hard to explain, but it really is beautiful when they are done, because it's not a depression handprint, it's a relief. So it is almost like their little hand that you can touch.

If this was too confusing, I could take some pictures and post them on my blog. Let me know.

Debra

;)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 07:54:48 PM »
Then you buy some DAP window compound...honestly I don't know what this is for? It's in a can, in the hardward section, and it's a white puddy like texture.

DAP window putty is used when you put window glass into the frame to seal the glass in so water & wind don't get around the edge of the glass. Think of that stuff along the edge of the glass that is so hard to paint if it's bumpy, that's window putty. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 04:31:30 AM »
Oh, wow!  What a neat, fun idea.  I'm doing this today before my little one gets any bigger!  I tried to do hand PRINTS multiple times, and I ended up with big sloppy ink blots instead of hand shapes, and an inked-up baby who wouldn't let me clean her up. :)

Offline Kari

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »
Smushed up defrosted frozen blueberries would be a natural stain that we've used.

What I did was trace my little one's hand on paper using a colored pencil, then months/year later traced his hand again in another shade of the same color on the same paper over the first tracing, and continued doing this about every 1-2 years.  Each outline is labled with the date.
Proverbs 23:26   My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

freshisbest

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 02:51:56 AM »
My baby announcements for Margo were made by painting the bottoms of her feet while she was sleeping...and pressing them onto note cards. Pink of course! They were so cute.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 05:44:32 AM »
I like the blueberries idea; then it doesn't matter if the kids lick their hands! 
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:58:29 AM »
You may or may not have these things around the house but... What we did was to take the fancy certificate that we got from the hospital and scanned the footprints from it into the computer. Then we could just cut, paste, and print them onto cards, etc.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!