Author Topic: Deep Frying with Healthy Fats & Oils  (Read 18027 times)

freshisbest

Deep Frying with Healthy Fats & Oils
« on: February 06, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »
OK I know deep-frying has a bad rap..but this week my boys are addicted to my egg rolls. I can get tons of veggies in them with just a touch of soy sauce and oyster sauce. Question: I've recently been using coconut oil, and mixed it with canola oil for the frying. How long can the oil last if I strain it using cheesecloth and keep it covered in, say, a big mason jar? I was making french fries too...would love to make frying a healthier way to go. Suggestions? Also, does anyone suggest a deep-fryer ?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 12:14:26 PM by healthybratt »

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Deep Frying with Healthy Fats & Oils
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »
I have heard that Coconut Oil isn't the best thing for Deep frying because it has a low smoke piont.  Also, you should really do some research on Canola Oil.  I think it is really pretty bad for you.  I would recommend Grape Seed oil I think for deep frying, what does anyone else think of this?  I know it has a high smoke point.  That's what we fry with around here.  I rarely deep fry.  I love deep fried foods but I am just intimidated by the process.  But we make pancakes and french toast and such with Grape Seed Oil.  Plus, it is rather inexpensive.  I get it at Trader Joes.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 11:23:23 AM »
I am not 100% sure on this one but I think you are suppose to fry using Sesame Oil because it can handle the high temps.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

freshisbest

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »
Sesame Oil , while delicious, seems expensive if you need a lot of it for frying. So that brings up another issue....cost......in addition to the best oil for the high temps of frying as well as for our arteries!!

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 11:40:59 AM »
Coconut oil does have a low smoke point and will not work for deep frying.  I am going to try peanut oil.  But Sesame oil can also be used for frying (p.19 of Nourishing Traditions).  Canola oil has a high sulpur content and goes rancid easily, meaning it has lots of free radicals.  I am interested to read the responses since I am also looking for a way to fry foods (my husband loves to fish and fried fish is his favorite).  We have not tried the sesame oil even though we are considering it as well. 

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 12:06:50 PM »
I am just at the beginning NT and just read the section on fats.  I can't believe all the icky stuff i have been cooking with.  Shortening ewwwwwww!!  Anyway I have coconut oil on hand for herbal treatments.  It is organic.  Does anyone use it in baking (as in cookies)?  I don't mind getting rid of the oils I have but need to know what I can use in my favorite recipes.  ???
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 12:12:57 PM »
I am just at the beginning NT and just read the section on fats.  I can't believe all the icky stuff i have been cooking with.  Shortening ewwwwwww!!  Anyway I have coconut oil on hand for herbal treatments.  It is organic.  Does anyone use it in baking (as in cookies)?  I don't mind getting rid of the oils I have but need to know what I can use in my favorite recipes.  ???
Make sure you get the kind of coconut oil that is for eating.  I have used coconut oil in place of lots of things with pretty good results.  You can buy it organic or not but if it is it should say it clearly on the front.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 12:12:59 PM »
I use unhydrogenated lard. 

www.soaperschoice.com

It comes from a soap company, but Elbereth and I have both spoken to customer service and verified that it is food grade.  Soaper's Choice is a subsidiary of Columbus Foods.

Elbereth recently told us that Soaper's Choice is no longer unhydrogenated, so I switched to Peanut Oil in my fryer and I actually like it better.

I still love lard for pie crusts, but I have yet to find any more.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:35:13 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 12:13:58 PM »
More info on this link.

Hydrogenated Fats
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 04:23:56 PM »
  Anyway I have coconut oil on hand for herbal treatments.  It is organic.  Does anyone use it in baking (as in cookies)?  I don't mind getting rid of the oils I have but need to know what I can use in my favorite recipes.  ???

I LOVE COCONUT OIL IN BAKED GOODS!!!!!!!!!!! We use it in all our recipes that we used to use butter, shortening or oil in. They always come out delicious. It gives it a wonderful flavor that is not to overpowering. Whenever I make a cake or something with it I ALWAYS get compliments on it. I use it in equal proportions to whatever I am replacing IE 1 cup of shortening= 1 cup of coconut oil.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline goingforten

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »
Since my journey into healthy eating, I've used Walmart's brand Louanna of CO for frying simply because there were no other options available.Its worked fine so far.

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 06:53:30 PM »
I believe refined coconut oil has a much higher smoke point, so it's better to use refined for frying. The really good-for-you coconut oil is unrefined, but personally, I would use the refined for occasional frying like the egg rolls. I do make french fries in the unrefined CO and they do not smoke. JMO

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 06:30:52 AM »

www.soaperschoice.com

It comes from a soap company, but Elbereth and I have both spoken to customer service and verified that it is food grade.  Soaper's Choice is a subsidiary of Columbus Foods.

Elbereth recently told us that Soaper's Choice is no longer unhydrogenated, so I switched to Peanut Oil in my fryer and I actually like it better.

HB how do you store 50 lbs of lard?  It says it comes in a 50 lb cube. Hmmmm curious.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:36:18 AM by healthybratt »
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »
[I LOVE COCONUT OIL IN BAKED GOODS!!!!!!!!!!! We use it in all our recipes that we used to use butter, shortening or oil in. They always come out delicious. It gives it a wonderful flavor that is not to overpowering. Whenever I make a cake or something with it I ALWAYS get compliments on it. I use it in equal proportions to whatever I am replacing IE 1 cup of shortening= 1 cup of coconut oil.

Do you melt the oil to get it to measure/mix properly?  It's a bit of a pain to get it to liquid temp, but that's what I've done.  (Our kitchen is cool, temp-wise that is!).  If someone told me that wasn't necessary, I'd be thrilled!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 07:49:48 AM »
[I LOVE COCONUT OIL IN BAKED GOODS!!!!!!!!!!! We use it in all our recipes that we used to use butter, shortening or oil in. They always come out delicious. It gives it a wonderful flavor that is not to overpowering. Whenever I make a cake or something with it I ALWAYS get compliments on it. I use it in equal proportions to whatever I am replacing IE 1 cup of shortening= 1 cup of coconut oil.

Do you melt the oil to get it to measure/mix properly?  It's a bit of a pain to get it to liquid temp, but that's what I've done.  (Our kitchen is cool, temp-wise that is!).  If someone told me that wasn't necessary, I'd be thrilled!

I don't melt mine when using it in recipes.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »

HB how do you store 50 lbs of lard?  It says it comes in a 50 lb cube. Hmmmm curious.
I left it in the package it came if for awhile and then I cleaned out some old lard and icecream buckets I had lying around and filled them up.  Just kept them in my laundry room with little to no temp control.  Cooler than the house in the summer, but that's relative.  It gets up to 106 in our house when the AC is off.  Colder in the winter than the house.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 09:34:48 AM »

www.soaperschoice.com

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:36:01 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »

HB, are you saying you can't find lard anymore?  Or is it organic lard or what?

I find lard at every grocery store I go to but I have yet to find organic anywhere other that mail order and that was prohibitive in cost.  I suspect it is now hydrogenated anyway because it was a soapmakers type of website.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:36:39 PM by healthybratt »

cecac

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
The lard we get is only partially hydrogenated.  And it's not organic.  When I go to the HFS I'll try and look--but I bet they don't even carry it because "healthy" oil is veggie or canola or sunflower around here, I'm not sure any solid fat is even considered a health food. ::)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:34:40 PM by healthybratt »

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 01:25:26 PM »
And to get this back on-topic....
I use lard and a lard/coconut oil combo for deep frying.

I have also found an electric pot called a "hot pot" that is good for boiling, steaming, deep frying and slow cooking.  My sil had one years ago and just loved it for both deep frying and slow cooking.  I'm buying one this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:35:30 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 03:33:47 PM »
Pie crusts are not on topic.  I moved these posts here.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3961.msg161238.html#msg161238
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »

HB, are you saying you can't find lard anymore?  Or is it organic lard or what?

I find lard at every grocery store I go to but I have yet to find organic anywhere other that mail order and that was prohibitive in cost.  I suspect it is now hydrogenated anyway because it was a soapmakers type of website.
I can't find unhydrogenated lard as of yet.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 07:40:30 PM »
I can't find unhydrogenated lard as of yet.

The only place that I know that sells unhydrogenated lard is motherlindas.com however hold onto your wallets gals I paid $32 for 2 quarts.  :o  I know I know but that was before I got tallow for free I might add!! 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:55:54 AM by healthybratt »
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »
I was just reading this post as my mom is looking for an oil to deep fry in . . . and I thought I'd mention where we get our lard because they don't hydrogenate it  :)

Try a meat locker!! The place were we have our beef processed also does hogs and they sell lard for 5lb or $5. I typically only use it in pie crusts and occasionally cookies, but kept in the fridge it lasts quite a while!! ;)
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline stebs7

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »
Wouldn't you be able to buy pig's fat from the meat place and just melt it down and store it?  I am sure it would be very cheap that way.  We make our own lard and beef tallow and it really is quite easy.  We just cut the fat into strips and then into cubes and put it in a cast iron deep skillet on med high at first and medium later and let it melt - becomes totally liquid - we just let it cool down somewhat so we can pour it into quart glass jars without breaking them - and then keep them in the fridge or a cool cellar if we have alot.

French fries fried in beef tallow are the best :)  When I first made them it reminded me of the taste of the fish and chips I ate as a child in England (wrapped in newspaper of course) which must have been friend in beef tallow.  My cousin here said that during the war and after it most people used beef tallow and lard for frying everything - donuts, meat, etc.  The temperature can get up really high without smoking - so the food you fry seals up very fast and doesn't soak up the fat. 

Blessings, Nancy in Poland

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 06:14:07 AM »
These fries are so GOOD.  Haven't tried them with any other oils yet and Lord willing to provide a consistent source of tallow I won't have to.  These are not very greasy either.  I've noticed with the tallow that the oil level hasn't decreased in several uses the way that peanut oil and/or tallow often does.  It seems to cook much cleaner.

Do you think a deep fryer extends the life of the oil? I'm thinking the consistent temp would help. I have to really watch when I'm deep frying over the stove. Oil temp changes so quickly and then my expensive oil seems ruined.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:21:42 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 06:27:10 AM »
These fries are so GOOD.  Haven't tried them with any other oils yet and Lord willing to provide a consistent source of tallow I won't have to.  These are not very greasy either.  I've noticed with the tallow that the oil level hasn't decreased in several uses the way that peanut oil and/or tallow often does.  It seems to cook much cleaner.

Do you think a deep fryer extends the life of the oil? I'm thinking the consistent temp would help. I have to really watch when I'm deep frying over the stove. Oil temp changes so quickly and then my expensive oil seems ruined.  ::)
I would say, probably 'yes'.  I tried my hand at deep frying on the stove and it's very difficult to get a consistent temp.  The fryer, I have to heat slow until the tallow is liquid or it tends to smoke alot, but it's a fairly quick 2-step process.  I turn up the heat to the very lowest setting (I'm guessing 100, but there's not marker) and once it's all melted, turn it up to it's highest settinig (375) and toss in the food and WOW! this stuff is awesome.

With my old fryer, I never heated in two steps (however, never tried tallow - either peanut oil or lard) and I threw in wet food, frozen food, etc.  The lack of prep on the food may also make a difference, but I never tested the theory.  I started new practices with a new oil.  I did try cooking frozen wings on the stove before I got the fryer and the results weren't good.  The wings took longer to cook than my old fryer and they were very dry as a result.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 06:27:45 AM »
French fries fried in beef tallow are the best :) 
I just got some tallow and I totally agree!  Wow, what a great flavor!
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »
French fries fried in beef tallow are the best :) 
I just got some tallow and I totally agree!  Wow, what a great flavor!
These posts reminded me of Julia Child!   HERE she is being interviewed and says the same thing about french fries!   :D
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13