Author Topic: Looking for tips on choosing a new refrigerator  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Looking for tips on choosing a new refrigerator
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »
Hi,
We are moving soon and leaving our fridge behind.  I have a side by side right now.  I don't need water/ice in the door.  Can anyone recommend a good fridge to me?  I also would like any opinions on whether to choose a side by side or the kind with the freezer on the top.  We will probably be buying a used one but I am not sure what things to look for and I would welcome any advice.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:50:17 AM by healthybratt »

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
Re: Looking for tips on choosing a new refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 12:48:23 PM »
I have a bottom freezer on my fridge and I love it.   It is at least 18 years old.   I like the  fact that everything is at eye level in the fridge.   You know how things get shoved to the back of that bottom shelf and grow green hairy things?   :o    I don't have that problem.   Be sure and get one big enough for a growing family if you have small children.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:50:25 AM by healthybratt »
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Asthedeer1

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 12:49:43 PM »
We bought a fridge with the freezer on bottom and love it!  Makes it so easy to see what is inside the fridge without getting down and looking up.  Or maybe just buy a fridge and have a large seperate freezer out in the garage or elsewhere. 

Rebecca :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:50:33 AM by healthybratt »

Offline joyfulmommakim

• Learning
    • Joyful Momma
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 06:15:37 PM »
We also just bought a fridge with a freezer on the bottom  (ours has pull out wire baskets in teh freezer to make searching easier!). I LOVE IT. Our fridge has so much more room, and it is easier to find things in the fridge and the freezer like this. It also seems to conserve energy. Our energy bill dropped after we got it, so I am guessing our other one took power.

The best part is the alarm that goes off if the fridge or freezer door is left open too long. with a houseful of children (and their often visiting friends) that comes in handy.

Ours is an LG, and we got it at Home Depot on sale. :-))

Blessings,
Kimberly
www.joyfulmomma.org
"...the joy of the LORD is your strength." (Nehemiah 8:10)

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 06:33:21 PM »
What do you think is a good price to pay for a fridge?  I was hoping to spend around $400.  I have not seen any in the adds with freezer in the bottom.  Is this a new thing?

Asthedeer1

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:55:18 PM »
If you are on a budget I would suggest looking for used fridges in the classifieds in the newspaper or on Craigslist.com, there may be some used appliance stores in your area too, we have purchased refurbished appliances before and they all worked great.  The fridges with the freezer on the bottom are fairly new and are pretty pricey, all the ones I have seen anyway. 

Rebecca :)

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
Refreshing this post! (Thanks, HB for directing me here!)  ;D

Joyfulmommakim, do you still love your LG bottom-freezer fridge? That is the very one we are considering, but it's running about $900 at our local HD store. That is SO much more than we were wanting to pay.

I spent hours last night looking up reviews and ratings on refrigerators and ranges (we need to replace both of ours soon...they were old already when we got them and the fridge has kicked the bucket.). All of the top-freezer models I looked at (under $1000, hoping more for about $500 or less!) got terrible reviews and ratings. (Yes, I even checked Consumer Reports...)  :-\ The only one I saw that was rated and reviewed very well (and barely under $1000!) was the LG.

Any other brand/model recommendations or ideas of where to look? We have always owned used appliances, but this is the 3rd fridge we've been through and I think I'm leary of buying used again...there is no way to tell if there is a defect just by looking and often (as is the case with ours) you can't return it to the place you purchased it from.

Help! :D

Ta! kate
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »
I absolutely adore my LG bottom-freezer fridge.  It is a drawer and it can hold SO much and I don't have to bend over to get into the fridge (which I get into much more frequently than the freezer) and its just plain nice.  (Jehovah Jireh and Mr. Marlin are very good to our family!)

Anyway, if you DO go with a very well worth it expensive fridge, I recommend you do NOT get the double door version.  The single door is much more practical!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:33:36 PM »
We also have a bottom freezer fridge.  We love it.  My dh is over 6 feet tall and he doesn't have to stoop to see in the fridge.  Also no more rotten produce on the bottom of the frigde becase it is so easy to see everything.  8)  Ours is a Kenmore and it is about 7 years old.  We haven't had any trouble with it until we had to move it out here.  Moving is very hard on appliances!!   Then we had to replace a defrost timer for the freezer part, but it only cost $10.00 and dh replaced it himself.  (Off topic here- online you can find schematics for your appliances to be able to fix them yourself.)
mauimom

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 07:23:35 AM »
We have the Amana bottom-freezer fridge. Love it, love it. Not cheap tho; I bought it with the proceeds of my Samoyed pups two years ago. Our house is for sale and that is the one appliance I am loathe to leave. Also shelled out a little extra for the ice maker and am VERY glad I did.

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 05:43:27 PM »
Thanks for the great input! Please keep it coming!  ;D

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 05:41:51 AM »
BUMP!  ;D

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 07:44:52 AM »
I also have and Amana bottom freezer fridge.   I have had it for at least 16 years maybe more.   Never had any trouble with it.   As far as brand goes we went with what they sell in our town (which is very small) so I couldn't tell you if one brand is better than any other.   I just know I would --never-- go back to the standard top freezer fridge.    HTH
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side