Author Topic: Looking for a good place to buy Heirloom seeds  (Read 16598 times)

Offline sierra

• Learning
Looking for a good place to buy Heirloom seeds
« on: February 03, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »
 I was wondering if anyone knew of a good supplier of heirloom seeds.

Thanks.
I have the most wonderful job: wife to Craig,  mommy to Orrin (7), Mostyn (6), Praise (4),  Sasona Joy (2) and Berwynn (born 1-15-08)

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
Re: Looking for a good place to buy Heirloom seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 05:05:37 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good supplier of heirloom seeds.

Thanks.
Hi, I started seeds in my basement for a while and found the following companies:
Fox Hollow Seed company in McGrann PA 724-548-SEED, seeds@alltell.net They offer Certified Organic Seed and cool sample packs.
Personal fav: www.selectseeds.com

Franklin Hill in Sewickley PA has a website www.franklinhillseeds.com.

Burpee offers a nice selection of Heirloom seeds and a special catalog with fab pictures.
More at this link:
hvgardening.tripod.com/seedcompanies.html

Susan
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 05:25:39 AM by Farm Wife »
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »
I get my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom seed Co.  I am very pleased.  Heirloom seeds from over 50 countries!

www.rareseeds.com
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline sierra

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
Thank you so much!
I have the most wonderful job: wife to Craig,  mommy to Orrin (7), Mostyn (6), Praise (4),  Sasona Joy (2) and Berwynn (born 1-15-08)

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 01:57:34 AM »
Go to this link, it has quite a few good suggestions.

http://urbanexod.us/discuss/index.php/topic,4627.0.html
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:04:32 PM »
I get my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom seed Co.  I am very pleased.  Heirloom seeds from over 50 countries!

www.rareseeds.com

I just ordered seeds from them for the first time.  It was placed almost two weeks, ago, and haven't received them, yet, so I am getting a little anxious.  But I do hope they work.

earthymama3

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:29:32 AM »
Fedco Seeds in Maine have many heirloom varieties and very reasonable prices.  I'm waiting for my seed order to get her at the moment.  But they came highly recommended to me by some organic veggie farming friends, and I LOVE their catalog.  It's very informative.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:19:06 AM »
Azure Standard is having a sale on the heirloom seeds that they market.

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »

www.rareseeds.com
Ditto! I have a couple of friends who order from them every year and say they are the best. This will be my first year to buy from them. I live about three hours from the store, and plan to go and make my purchases in person. :D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »
I just got my seeds from rareseeds.com today, and I was so excited to find two packs of free seeds.  How nice of them!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
My BIL just told be about Seed Savers Exchange

I don't know anything about them other than their name...
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline Shady Lane

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:13:47 AM »
I have to put in my plug for Baker Creek too.  I love their seeds! 

Come by and see me when you go there Mhoward!  I only live 10-15 minutes away, and enjoy getting my seeds 'in person'.  Their big festivals (Spring & Fall) are really interesting and worth going to as well, in my opinion.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 06:19:18 AM »
I found this this morning...

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/MPVG
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 06:37:08 AM »
I found this this morning...

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/MPVG

Oh, it just stinkin' figures!  I already bought my seeds for the year.  :D

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 02:46:01 PM »
They've added culinary and medicinal herb seed...

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Heirloom_Seeds
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline DebAnn

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »
Bulk Herb store's Mama Pearl's Garden seed is out of stock, the medicinal and culinary herb seeds are sold out also.  Yea for BHS, boo for me.
 I was finally ready to order some (it fit in this months budget) and now they are out!  I assume that means out until next year. :-\  Well, I will just have to check out some of these other places you all have listed.
Rejoicing in hope,
       patient in tribulation,
              continuing instant in prayer.
Romans 12:12

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »
Bulk Herb store's Mama Pearl's Garden seed is out of stock, the medicinal and culinary herb seeds are sold out also.  Yea for BHS, boo for me.
 I was finally ready to order some (it fit in this months budget) and now they are out!  I assume that means out until next year. :-\  Well, I will just have to check out some of these other places you all have listed.

You can try Azure Standard or Seeds of Change.  They might have what you want.  Azure will be cheaper but SOC has a bigger variety. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »

www.rareseeds.com
Ditto! I have a couple of friends who order from them every year and say they are the best. This will be my first year to buy from them. I live about three hours from the store, and plan to go and make my purchases in person. :D

We just got our order from rareseeds.com a few weeks ago, and were very pleased with the extra packets of seeds enclosed.

Their catalog is AMAZING!!!
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
I think I posted in the wrong thread...here's where I bought my seeds this year.  Great for southern gardeners, and all non-gmo, organic. 

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,23020.msg224795.html#new
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline DebAnn

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 05:36:49 AM »
Ok, I still am working on ordering my seeds and have got to get it done this week but I have a couple of questions.
I see on the Heirloom Acres website that they have Certified Organic Heirloom seeds and just Heirloom seeds.  On the bakers Creek website they do not list any as Certified Organic but their prices are more comparable with HA Cert. OG seeds, does anyone know if Bakers are Cert. OG or not?  I didn't see an FAQ section on there site.
Rejoicing in hope,
       patient in tribulation,
              continuing instant in prayer.
Romans 12:12

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 07:25:36 AM »
does anyone know if Bakers are Cert. OG or not? 

Why don't you give them a call and ask.  They have a phone number available.  I have had much success with their seeds this year.  ;)

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »
So has anyone gotten down to the nitty gritty price comparisons? Where do you get the biggest bang for your buck for NON GMO seeds?
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 06:04:57 AM »
Whatever you do, don't buy seeds from Heirloom Acres!  They have horrible customer service and don't even care when they make mistakes!  I ordered seeds that were not shipped to me in two weeks. I emailed twice with no response. I called and the person that answered said it was silly of me to email them because they get too many emails to answer! Imagine that?!
They looked up my info. and said that my seeds were packaged but couldn't figure out why they weren't shipped. Did I get a free order? No!  I didn't get anything!  No sorry or recompensing!
I asked for a refund and then a receipt of the refund. After 9 days, NOTHING! I called to talk to a manager and she laughed at me! Can you believe this story?  I would never laugh at a horrible situation with a customer. This was last Monday. I asked for a refund and they said they would do it in a few days. It has been a week, and no refund. And these people "call themselves a Christian company"? Whatever!  Hubby is handling it from now on. ugh!

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »
I have to agree with you HIO. A friend and I ordered from Heirloom Acres this year, and it was pretty bad. They took over a month shipping my seeds. When I called, they said that they were behind in orders, and they would get to mine in about a week. No sorry or anything, they acted like I should have known they were behind. A couple had been backordered, which they just recently refunded me for, over a month and a half later. And by the time I got the seeds, it was too late to plant some of them, I had to go buy them from a local store so I could get them started. My friend had an even worse experience. They still owe her like $30 something. And she ordered way back in March. She also did some research, and found a lot of not so good things  about them on the internet. So, needless to say, I wil never order from them again.
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 01:39:54 AM »
So has anyone gotten down to the nitty gritty price comparisons? Where do you get the biggest bang for your buck for NON GMO seeds?

I was talking with an Amish neighbor friend, and she was excitedly talking about this seed company that they all (Amish) order from--Berlin Seeds. She said they have ALL NON-GMO seeds and she was bragging on Monty's (liquid plant foods), Liquid Carbon that breaks up clay soils (ours) and she said that you can even buy seeds in bulk--saves a ton of $$!!

I requested their phone # and called for a catalog--WOW! Beautiful, color catalog came in about a week. So much stuff! I haven't ordered from them yet, but I will be here soon, so I can't tell you about their customer service. But here's their number if you'd like your own catalog: 1-877-464-0892. They are located in Millersburg, OH.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Jordan

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
I'm looking for a place to buy seeds as well. Is Horizon Herbs good to buy from? They seem to have a wide selection. Baker Creek didn't have what I want and neither did Seeds of Change.  Thanks...
Trust in the Lord!
~Proverbs 3:5-6~

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 01:53:16 PM »
I'm so sorry y'all have had bad experiences with Heirloom Acres. I've used them for several years with good experiences and have recommended them for low cost, quality seeds. I'm not connected with the company other than as a satisfied customer.  :-\

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
I'm so sorry y'all have had bad experiences with Heirloom Acres. I've used them for several years with good experiences and have recommended them for low cost, quality seeds. I'm not connected with the company other than as a satisfied customer.  :-\

Can you get our money back for us, then? LOL  Seriously, it's been two months and no seeds or money!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »
I can certainly let them know that I've recommended them, and my friends are coming back with reports of poor customer service. :o

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 05:00:47 AM »
I can certainly let them know that I've recommended them, and my friends are coming back with reports of poor customer service. :o

You may do that, but they honestly don't care. My husband has called them 2x a week for the past two weeks, and they keep lying to them. We are contacting the BBB.