Author Topic: Natural Peanut Butter - what brand and where to buy?  (Read 24260 times)

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
Natural Peanut Butter - what brand and where to buy?
« on: February 01, 2007, 06:10:13 AM »
Peanut butter is a favorite staple around here  ::)  - I have tried only one brand EastWind (actually is considered a nut butter) that we got through a natural food co-op.  It is okay, but wondered what else you all have tried, liked or loved and where you purchase it.

We have 8 in our family and I buy it by the 5 lb bucket and it normally lasts til our next order which is about every 2 mos.

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: Natural Peanut Butter - what brand and where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 06:23:09 AM »
Peanut butter is a favorite staple around here  ::)  - I have tried only one brand EastWind (actually is considered a nut butter) that we got through a natural food co-op.  It is okay, but wondered what else you all have tried, liked or loved and where you purchase it.

We have 8 in our family and I buy it by the 5 lb bucket and it normally lasts til our next order which is about every 2 mos.

My favorite brand is Arrowhead Mills -- crunchy valencia pb, organic.  :D  Valencia pb is so good.  I know it's hard to believe the kind of peanuts make such a difference, but they do.  I don't eat anything but valencia pb, now.  I get it at the health food store.  Also, it has no salt (valencia nuts don't need it -- kind of sweet), and I like it better that way since I think the salt added to pb is the regular salt.   :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 06:27:51 AM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:26:29 AM »
I like the Kroger brand Natural Peanut Butter (both chunky & smooth)... It's cheaper than the Smucker's natural one.

Now we use the Maranatha organic creamy PB & love it! (the peanuts are dry roasted so no undesireable added oils, and organic so there is no pesticide residue)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:38:37 AM by likemanywaters »
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 07:57:16 AM »

We used to use Adams Natural but I don't like stiring it, it always spills out the side!
So now we use the Organic Kirkland PB from costco, it's creamy and yummy and you never have to stir it. Of course you can't buy it in a 5 gallon bucket :P
They come in 2- 28oz. for 5.99, here anyway.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »
I like Arrowhead Mills Creamy Honey Sweetened Peanut Butter. My bottle says. "just peanuts from sundrenched New Mexico, a touch of honey and a pinch of salt. A delicious spread for your ease and pleasure". We like it because the oil doesn't separate because of the lecithin in it. The ingredients says that it contains roasted blanched Valencia peanuts. My family got frustrated with the normal healthy peanut butter that separated.

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 11:11:30 AM »
I always get the Smucker's Organic at Walmart. It only contains organic peanuts and yes you have to stir it but it is worth it to me! I only have to stir it the first time I open it. Stir it real good the put it in the fridge. I have gotten pretty good at stirring it without the oil coming out of the jar. I just use a butter knife to stir. Works for us  ;D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »
One trick I use w/natural peanut butter is to keep it upside down for a couple of days before I open it. The oil ends up at the bottom of the jar which helps when mixing it up. Once I open it, I stir it up & store it in the fridge just like Savedbygrace said. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline keltlyn

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:41:04 PM »
I've recently found a brand I really like! It's Nut'n Better Organic Peanut Butter. There is hardly any oil to stir in, and you don't have to stir it every time. We keep it in the fridge as well. The ingredients are organic dry roasted peanuts & sea salt.

I get queasy to my stomach after all peanut butter...except this one! And, I LOVE peanut butter! I've been so excited to find this!

(Side note: I love to mix it with marshmallows (bad, I know) & melt it in the microwave! It tastes like peanut butter fudge!:))

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 12:55:18 PM »
One trick I use w/natural peanut butter is to keep it upside down for a couple of days before I open it. The oil ends up at the bottom of the jar which helps when mixing it up. Once I open it, I stir it up & store it in the fridge just like Savedbygrace said. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
What a great idea.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »
We use organic peanut butter from the co-op with the oil at the top or Adams with the oil at the top...I too use to turn mine upside down for a couple of days unti one day  I poured it in a bowl....and mixed it up with my hand mixer. Works wonderful! Then I just pour it back in the jar and it is ready to go! Beth in Idaho

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »
I always get the Smucker's Organic at Walmart. It only contains organic peanuts and yes you have to stir it but it is worth it to me! I only have to stir it the first time I open it. Stir it real good the put it in the fridge. I have gotten pretty good at stirring it without the oil coming out of the jar. I just use a butter knife to stir. Works for us  ;D

I use the Smucker's from Wal-Mart and also turn it upside down before stirring.  I have never had any trouble with it until recently.  I have been using it since this summer and use it almost daily for my DH's lunch.  The last jar I got didn't have much oil and was like real stiff peanut butter cookie dough.  I tried adding honey and still had to resort to crumbling it on my DH's sandwiches with my fingers.  So the next jar I bought, I made sure it had lots of oil and turned it upside down.  By Monday morning, it stirred up real nice and spread easily but since then it is getting dry too.  I was wondering if it is the cold, dry weather or just the peanuts this time of year.  My mom suggested that it was out of date because that had happened to her, but the date on both jars is April 17, 2007.  Any suggestions?  Should I try keeping it at room temp instead of refrigerating?
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

freshisbest

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »
I buy Teddies and find it at my local grocery store. Also Maple Grove Farms. In with all the other stuff....cheaper than most too.

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 04:36:02 AM »
I just thought I'd post my recipe for peanut butter. It is SOOOO easy and you can make it according to your taste. Take some raw peanuts and spread them 1 layer thick on a cookie sheet. Roast them in your oven at 350*, turning them every 10 minutes. I do it for about 30 minutes, really watch them so they don't burn. Roast them until they're nice and toasty brown and smell yummy. Then put them in a blender or food processor, add salt to taste, and sweetener. We don't use sugar in our house so I put about 1/4-1/3 cup of honey. Honey will thicken it so I add a couple tablespoons of peanut oil to keep it really creamy. Then turn your processor on and process until smooth. When it first starts up, you just have to scrape it down every so often. It makes for the best peanut butter! I keep mine in the fridge now so the oils don't seperate. It's great! ;D
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 04:53:10 AM »
My favorite brand is Arrowhead Mills -- crunchy valencia pb, organic.  :D  Valencia pb is so good.  I know it's hard to believe the kind of peanuts make such a difference, but they do.  I don't eat anything but valencia pb, now.  I get it at the health food store.  Also, it has no salt (valencia nuts don't need it -- kind of sweet), and I like it better that way since I think the salt added to pb is the regular salt.   :P

I have also read (it's been a while, and I don't remember WHERE - sorry -) that Valencia peanuts are the kind least contaminated by aflatoxin. So that is also the kind we get, although we don't use it more than a few times a month. I get mine at Trader Joe's. They have a store brand of organic valencia peanut butter that is not too expensive. We also sometimes use the Arrowhead Mills brand and it is very good.

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 05:39:24 AM »

Do you know Mrs H if it comes without salt? 

I don't know if it comes without salt, my jar however says there is peanuts, palm oil and sea salt and it's creamy, must be why I like it so much ;)

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 05:45:23 AM »
We use Once Again Nut Butter organic valencia with no salt.  I buy it in a 9# tub & store it in the bottom of the fridge.  It isn't always easily spreadable, but we really like it.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 05:50:34 AM »
This is exactly what I do. I never have to stir it again (if I do a good job the first time).
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 06:22:32 AM »
I love the flavor of the Maranantha brand.  I am sure it is not a good deal though where I buy it I can't get any larger sizes.  That is interesting about the Valencia peanuts, I'll have to check and see if that is what is in ours.  I just love peanut butter right now.  It is my current craving, especially on Pink Lady apples!

Offline Homecharmer

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 07:26:30 AM »
I love the Maranatha No Stir Organic peanut butter! It is wonderful (especially since you don't have to worry about stirring the stiff stuff). I get an AWESOME deal on 2 huge jars at Sam's- only $7.50! I am so excited about it because I love peanut butter toast (homemade honey wheat bread) for breakfast. I am getting hungry again just thinking about it. YUM.
LIVE A LIFE OF LOVE!

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 09:05:15 AM »
I also get mine at Trader Joe's. $1.69 for a 16-oz jar.

Also have to put a plug in for this peanut-butter-stirrer, a must-have if you frequently buy smaller jars of natural nut butters.

http://www.amazon.com/Grandpa-Witmers-Fashioned-Natural-3214/dp/B0007SN5S4

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 09:17:52 AM »
I also get mine at Trader Joe's. $1.69 for a 16-oz jar.

Also have to put a plug in for this peanut-butter-stirrer, a must-have if you frequently buy smaller jars of natural nut butters.

What a great idea!

Offline starryiz

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 09:20:53 AM »
I buy the Smucker's Organic. 

Do you really have to refridgerate it after you open it?  The cold makes it so hard to spread.  What would happen to it if I just left it in my pantry?  Would it go rancid or something and make us sick?

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 09:39:50 AM »

I guess this works for you? It is such a great idea! I am putting it on my wish list.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »
We have been eating natural peanut butter for over 20 yrs. and I have never put the jar in the refrig. We live in the South where it is hot too. Of course we have air conditioner (thank goodness). We haven't died yet.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »

Do you really have to refridgerate it after you open it?  The cold makes it so hard to spread.  What would happen to it if I just left it in my pantry?  Would it go rancid or something and make us sick?

i have always kept peanut butter in the pantry.  i would think if there is salt in it, that would preserve it.  and as long as you don't have the same jar for years.   :D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 09:58:54 AM »
We use Once Again Nut Butter organic valencia with no salt. I buy it in a 9# tub & store it in the bottom of the fridge. It isn't always easily spreadable, but we really like it.

Do you buy your tub at a health food store - that quantity would be perfect for my family   ;D

I'm wondering, too -- I'd like to try this.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 11:24:31 AM »

The jar says, "Oil separation is natural. Just stir & refridgerate." so I always have. I don't think it will go rancid if you don't refrigerate it, but I know the oils don't separate again when it's in the fridge. And as long as I have stirred it really well, to get the oils throughly mixed in, it always spreads just fine. I couple times I didn't stir it well enough and it was harder to spread.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 05:54:38 AM »
Probably not exactly health food, I found some new (to me) peanut butter at wally world recently.  The company "Peanut Butter and Co." makes several flavors and the ones we got are quite a treat and a big hit for special snacks and meals.

Ingredients on my  jar of "Dark Chocolate Dreams" variety:

Peanuts
evaporated cane juice
cocoa
cocoa butter
palm fruit oil
vanilla
lecithin (from sunflowers)
salt.

It also says:

no hydrogenated oils
no high fructose corn syrup
gluten free

I looked them up online and found lots of other yummy-looking flavors and interesting recipes (they put PB on burgers and make hot chocolate with it!)

http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/items_4.html

Thought others might like to know about it.