Author Topic: Sensory Integration Disorder? Please Help!  (Read 114367 times)

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
Re: Sensory Integration Disorder? Please Help!
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2008, 12:08:35 PM »
 :o  Okay guys are yall ready for some news!!  We just got back the results of some viral titers tests we ran on Noah.  Guess what was elevated on his tests?  He showed elevations on the measles IGg part of the test.  His levels were 2.43 and the recommended range was less than .90.  This means basically that his body has a previous infection or a chronic infection.  This is a huge find for us!!  This has been contributing to his chronic food intolerances, immune system dysfunction, and some neurological problems as well.  Of course, our Neurologist doesn't find it significant, she just thinks it means his immune system is working like it should be.  I don't agree.  He hasn't had a shot since he was 1!!!  He is 4 now.  His gut has been trying to fight this virus off for 4 years now.  This all makes since now :o :o  According to my book "Children With Starving Brains", a child can have a low grade infection and not really show too many signs or symptoms of the disease.  My son has been having rashes that come and go that I thought were allergy related, but now I believe are probably related to the measles virus(rubeola virus).  The measles virus is probably living in my son's gastro tract.  I'm so excited that I found this!!  I know we can try my son on an antiviral to see if this helps him.

My son also had elevated IGg titers to the Herpes virus 6(HHV6) on his test.  I know this is also significant.  Also in Jaquelyn McCandless' book she also talks about how certain herpes viruses can actually migrate to certain parts of the brain and live for years without causing problems.  She also talks about the viruses reactivating and causing neurological problems.  This is going to help me treat and recover my son.  I think he is immunocompromised, so that's why he reacts to things most people don't.  I think his immune system can't fight off normall infections and that's why there are viruses still causing immune dysfunction. 

I have been praying for months that God directs me in the right direction for my son.  I have been very close to giving up many times. This is pushing me in the right direction once again.  We will be starting some form of antiviral soon.  I will keep you updated.  Just wanted to share my news with everyone!!  Well, it's not good news, but you know what I'm getting at.

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2008, 02:54:53 PM »
That's great that you figured this out!!  Do you know what you're going to do to fight this?? 

Donna Gates with the body ecology diet has a plan for autistic children.  After doing her yeast diet for a while, she recommends a virus cleanse.  This takes about 4 days, I think.  Anyway, it really makes sense, since so many autistic children have viral issues. 

You know, in Karen Seroussi's book, her son had elevated measles as well.  Interesting...

Do keep us posted!!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »
I don't know how this might apply to Noah, but selenium is a potent anti-viral.

Great news that this (elevations on the measles IGg) has been revealed to you!!

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2008, 04:34:10 PM »
skelliot2:  I'm either going to ask our Neurologist for a antiviral prescription or try the other form of antiviral-olive leaf extract and virastop together.  I want to do what's easiest on his system; I know there will really be some bad detox symptoms after we start.  I guess we will have to ask first and see if my Neurologist will actually approve this for Noah since she doesn't think it is of concern.  If she doesn't then I will do it with the olive leaf extract and the virastop together.  Please pray that God gives me wisdom to make the right decision. 

I need to read more about The Body Ecology Diet, I have heard great things about it, but I haven't tried it yet.
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »
DHW:  I have heard that you can use the Selenium for getting viruses out, I'm just not sure that Noah can tolerate anything right now.  I had to take all of  his vitamins away except for his probiotic, calcium powder, enzymes(cut the dosage in half), and his Cod Liver Oil.  He seems to react to everything!!  We tried Zinc from Kirkmans and it was an absolutel disaster!!  Zinc piclinate cause him to have a major migraine, huge appetite, and also caused major fatigue.  I guess it could have been detox reaction, but it was horrible for him.  He couldn't function because he was so bad off.  He also had horrible rage when I tried the zinc.  It was only 20mg. 

I'm just going to drop the rest of his supplements until his gut is really really healed, I don't know how long it will take to do this, but I know it's part of the reason he doesn't absorb or process his food or vitamins correctly.  He most likely has leaky gut caused from the viruses.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I will keep you posted.

Misty

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2008, 06:07:41 AM »
If he can tolerate Brazil nuts, they are a good source of selenium, just 3 or 4 nuts a day will supply up to 200 mcg.  (The nuts vary in selenium content depending on where they are grown, though.)

I hope you will be able to get the anti-viral meds, or way or the other.

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2008, 05:36:58 PM »
Okay, just wanted to give a little update on Noah.  I have started Noah on a new diet.  We had been Gluten free and casein free for almost two years, but I knew something was still not working correctly in his digestive tract, so we took out the rice and potatoes and boom he has been having some of  his best days!!  We are doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, he can have all fruits, veggies, and white beans only as starch source.  He can also have certain cheeses on the diet as well.  We aren't quite ready to take on dairy yet, but hope to completely heal his gut so he can tolerate kefir in the future.  So far his hyperactivity has really slowed down!!  I'm very impressed with this diet.  It's very very nutritional since he is eating lots of fruits, veggies, meat, chicken, tuna, and all kinds of nuts.  Of course, we have only tried very very ripe cooked fruits such as bananas and apples, so far so good.  We have also learned that Noah can handle duck eggs just fine.  He reacts to store bought chicken eggs, but we will try him in the future on our own hen's eggs soon.  I'm very excited about this!!  I just hope I'm not opening my mouth too soon!  I will keep everyone updated on the diet. 

Misty

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »
Wonderful, Misty!

So, have you tried the Brazil nuts with Noah?  For the selenium.

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2008, 05:55:35 AM »
I haven't tried the Brazil nuts yet, but we will only be able to try nuts by themselves after a couple months.  I wonder if I can somehow grind them into a flour?  It might kill my processor :D  I just pray he continues to be calmer and  his gut continues to heal.  Mom is also doing the diet with much success!!  It's helping my plumbing as well :D 

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
Sorry to double post about my son, but I just can't help but getting this out in the open!!  The Specific Diet works!!  This must be healing my son's leaky gut problem!!  We are having much calmer days and Noah is eating cooked and pureed fruits with no problem so far!!  Praise God for this!  Maybe he couldn't handle in the raw form before.  We are doing tons of cooked veggies, homemade chicken and duck broth, duck eggs, and he is also able to handle banana(very ripe) pancakes.  I'm so excited about this!!  I read two books and this is really helping my son.

Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall
Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Natasha Campbell McBride

Basically, we will still be Gluten free and casein free as well, but he can start trying raw goat yogurt at about 3 months of being on the diet.  You can also only have certain legal cheeses in the book as well.  I know it is too soon to try casein just yet for Noah, but I'm very interested to see how he does after about 3 months.  I bet his gut will healed enough to try raw goat yogurt.  Maybe all of his intolerances and food allergies will be healed.  So far it's happening right before my eyes!!  Just wanted to brag again on Noah!!  ;D

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #220 on: March 10, 2009, 12:49:53 AM »
Misty,
I know you've updated on the GAPS thread but can you give some specifics here about what vits & sups your doing for your little guy?
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2009, 02:17:42 AM »
Welltellmemommy:  It's really quite simple right now. Noah is on the GAPS Diet(very similar to the SCD Diet, but still doesn't do any dairy yet), takes a strong probiotic(Primal Defense), Vit C (1,000 MG a day), and also takes Dandelion extract 3 times a day(I made it from glycerine).  Oh yeah, he also takes Cod Liver Oil.  That's all he is taking right now.  We sometimes take charcoal if he is detoxing too fast or has had a food infraction and also epsom salt baths.  I have been very careful not too add supplements too fast.

Right now we are also doing a parasite cleanse called Para Rid from mountainmeadowherbs, but I have to warn you that it has grain alcohol in it, so my son isn't tolerating it very good right now.  He has a rash around his waist line, so I'm not sure if it is a detox rash or a reaction rash. 

We also do tons of bone broth for my little one.  I usually just throw the chicken carcus bones in a pot with carrots, celery, and onion, and cook on low for 2 days.  It's very healing to an inflamed gut.  That's all I can think of at the moment.

Hope this  helps.

Misty

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2009, 08:03:17 AM »
I have a question/concern about a 2-1/2 year old girl in my preschool class.  She started attending back in late February, has missed a lot of days, and preschool is only 2 days a week anyway, so I haven't had a whole lot of interaction with her, but I know that something is not right.  She is not like the other kids in class.  Granted, she is the youngest in the class, but I really don't think it's a maturity issue, as she is also not like the kids in the younger class.

These are some of the strange things I (and my co-teacher) have noticed about her:

- Verbal mimicry as well as bevavioral mimicry....copies what teachers & friends are saying.  Copies what friends do.  If we tell another child to do something, Brianna will also get up to do the same thing, even though we did not instruct her to do so.  Another example - If our class is sitting & waiting, and she sees another class walk by, she will get up & follow them.  A third example: if we say something to another child, she will say the exact same thing. 

- Often, if asked a question, Brianna will repeat the question or just give a eyes-glazed-over "Yeah...." as a response.  (She does actually answer questions sometimes, but not all the time.....I'd say maybe 40% of the time, she actually answers the question).

- Walks with hands out, palms facing up.  Walks on tip-toes when barefoot.  When shoes are on, she walks/stands with feet facing out.  She does not hold crayons/paintbrushes correctly.  But, she doesn't seem to be afraid to hold or touch anything.  Also, has a hard time getting coordinated enough to get into & out of a toy car.

- When she is being talked to, she has a "glazed-over" look in her eyes.....she is hearing, but not processing what she hears. 

- Was going potty, but now regressing.  Went poop in potty at home once, now is afraid to do so again.  Will frequently say she has to go potty when she hears classmates say that they have to go, but when taken to the potty, she does not go (again, mimicry).

My main concern is the lack of processing of what she hears, the glazed over look in her eyes, and the almost-robotic mimicry.  What do you think this could be?  The other teacher & I are thinking of talking to the mom, and ask if she's noticed anything or maybe suggest she take her daughter to a doc over the summer.  This is the mom's first child (she does have a baby too) & this girl has never been around other children much, so maybe mom doesn't realize what's normal & what's not.  Oh, FYI, I don't know the child's shot history, but I'm assuming she's had all her shots since it's required to attend the preschool.

I'm sorry, I don't have time to read all 8 pages of this thread....if there's any specific post you think I should read, could you link it?  Or if you think this is something else entirely, point me in the right direction!

Thanks!
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2009, 09:31:33 AM »
The links listed in replys #1 &8 were helpful to me.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri