Author Topic: Best Chocolate Cake Recipe:  (Read 34342 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Best Chocolate Cake Recipe:
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 04:06:42 AM »
I need a really good Red Velvet cake!!  Anyone out there have a good one.  (Not a "healthy" version!!)

Is this the choc. cake that you die  red and use vinegar in the recipe?  If so, I think I have this recipe.  I love it.  Let me know if this is the one you want and I'll dig it up.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 04:16:37 AM »
I need a really good Red Velvet cake!!  Anyone out there have a good one.  (Not a "healthy" version!!)

Is this the choc. cake that you die  red and use vinegar in the recipe?  If so, I think I have this recipe.  I love it.  Let me know if this is the one you want and I'll dig it up.
Learn About Red Velvet Cake
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 04:22:35 AM »

Red Velvet Cake

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk / Kiefer
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup oil
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter

DIRECTIONS
Grease two 9 inch round pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F  Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring. Set aside.
Combine the buttermilk, salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the cocoa mixture. Beat in the buttermilk /kiefer mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. Stir together baking soda and vinegar, then gently fold into the cake batter.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To Make Icing: In a saucepan, combine the milk and 5 tablespoons flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool completely. Cream together butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy, then stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture, beating until icing reaches spreading consistency.

This is an apaptation of the AllRecipes recipe.  It is good.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007, 04:29:00 AM »

Red Velvet Cake

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk / Kiefer
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup oil
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter

DIRECTIONS
Grease two 9 inch round pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F  Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring. Set aside.
Combine the buttermilk, salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the cocoa mixture. Beat in the buttermilk /kiefer mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. Stir together baking soda and vinegar, then gently fold into the cake batter.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To Make Icing: In a saucepan, combine the milk and 5 tablespoons flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool completely. Cream together butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy, then stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture, beating until icing reaches spreading consistency.

This is an apaptation of the AllRecipes recipe.  It is good.
Yep, that's it!!

I wanted a tried and true "tested" version as opposed to one off the internet.   ;)
Thanks!!!!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »
My husband (and I) love the Betty Crocker's Devil's Food Chocolate Cake (I know, I know  :-\).  I have tried making a couple of chocolate cakes from scracth in the past  and they did not go over well.  Does anyones recipe taste anything like the fake stuff  ;D?  And is there a recipe that is as yummy as the canned Milk Chocolate Frosting.

If one of the recipes in this post would fill this request please just let me know.  Thanks! 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 05:11:53 AM »
My husband (and I) love the Betty Crocker's Devil's Food Chocolate Cake (I know, I know  :-\).  I have tried making a couple of chocolate cakes from scracth in the past  and they did not go over well.  Does anyones recipe taste anything like the fake stuff  ;D?  And is there a recipe that is as yummy as the canned Milk Chocolate Frosting.

If one of the recipes in this post would fill this request please just let me know.  Thanks! 
I like the canned frosting too and I finally figured out why I don't like the homemade stuff.  Most of them call for powdered sugar.  Powdered sugar contains corn starch to keep it from clumping.  The added cornstarch is what makes the homemade stuff taste funny.  So if you have a frosting recipe somewhere, I would go for the recipes that's you use granular sugar (these are usually cooked like fudge or candy) OR you can make your own powdered sugar in the blender.  You still need cornstarch, but the good news is that you don't have to use so much that you can taste it. 

Also if you find a devil's food or other chocolate cake recipe you like, you can bake it in a shallow pan (like brownies) and then poke holes all over the top and pour a can of sweetened condensed milk all over.  Then sprinkle with powdered sugar.  These are awesome and the milk makes the cake very moist.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:25:49 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline momofkings

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 06:24:02 AM »
We are hooked on this simple, from scratch chocolate cake.  We don't even frost it, but sometimes sprinkle chocolate chips over the top before baking.  Here is the recipe:

Mix together:

2 2/3 C flour (we use freshly ground kamut or spelt usually, soft white would work great too)

2 C sucanat with honey (we have substituted 1 C honey with pretty good results)

1/2 C cocoa powder

2 t baking soda

1 t salt

Then add:

2/3 C coconut oil (or for real yummy cake, substitute melted butter)

2 t apple cider vinegar

1 t vanilla

2 C water

~Mix well.

~Put in 9 x 13 pan.

~Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Wish I had a piece right now.....

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 09:51:32 AM »
made this today for youngest who turned 6 today  :'(

the birthday child always gets to choose his/her cake

Chocolate Mayo Cake

3 cups flour
4 1/2 HEAPing TB cocoa
dash of salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
Mix above well in large bowl

Add:
1 1/2 cup cold water
1 1/2 cup Miracle Whip Mayo
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat on medium and pour into greased 9X13 pan
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

I frost it with just a powdered sugar/cocoa butter frosting
It is a very moist chocolate cake.

I don't make it that often but when I do it does not last long around here!
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
HeyMom,

I am thinking of trying this, have you ever tried substututing regular mayonnaise in it?  How do you do the frosting?  What is cocoa butter?

Thanks.

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
hey there GraceFaith....
I have never tried it with reg mayo - but try it!  And the frosting I do is just a powdered sugar frosting - it's on the back of the package of sugar or the recipe on the back of a cocoa box - I just call it cocoa butter frosting because it has cocoa and butter in it - pretty original huh?   :-\
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 08:10:54 AM »
Does anyone know if I could just substitute regular milk for buttermilk in this recipe?

This was requested on the buttermilk thread. It's not healthy  ;).

Beat together:
2/3 c. each brown and white sugar, with
1 1/2 c. butter

Add:
2 eggs, one at a time, until well blended
2 t. vanilla

In another bowl mix dry ingredients:
1 3/4 c. flour
1 c. less 1 T. cocoa powder
1/8 t. salt
1 1/4 t. baking soda

Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture alternately with 1 1/2 c. thick buttermilk.

Pour into pan(s) and bake at 350* for 25-30 min. or until a toothpick come out clean.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 08:20:22 AM »
Add 1 T vinegar to your milk and let it set till it curdles a little. This is what I do when I don't have buttermilk for a recipe. HTH

Does anyone know if I could just substitute regular milk for buttermilk in this recipe?

This was requested on the buttermilk thread. It's not healthy  ;).

Beat together:
2/3 c. each brown and white sugar, with
1 1/2 c. butter

Add:
2 eggs, one at a time, until well blended
2 t. vanilla

In another bowl mix dry ingredients:
1 3/4 c. flour
1 c. less 1 T. cocoa powder
1/8 t. salt
1 1/4 t. baking soda

Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture alternately with 1 1/2 c. thick buttermilk.

Pour into pan(s) and bake at 350* for 25-30 min. or until a toothpick come out clean.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 08:28:27 AM »
Oh, thank you Ella!
:)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
Add 1 T vinegar to your milk and let it set till it curdles a little. This is what I do when I don't have buttermilk for a recipe. HTH
Ditto. ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 02:20:40 PM »
Ditto. ;D

You can also use lemon juice in milk.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.