Author Topic: Cluster Headaches  (Read 3668 times)

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
Cluster Headaches
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:43:31 AM »
My husband has been diagnosed with cluster headaches. I have read some info on Mayo clinic, WebMd, and some other sites. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these, and what we can do other than prescription medicines.

Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Cluster Headaches
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:18:51 AM »
Find the cause. 

How's his diet?  Does he drink diet sodas?  Drink or eat anything with sugar substitutes?  Ever had antibiotics?  Ever had gallstones or liver stones?  Suffer from insomnia, fatigue?  Have any bowel disorders?  Take regular medications for some ailment?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »
His diet is the same as it has always been. Doesn't use sugar substitutes. Has had antibiotics, no gallstones or liver stones that we know of. He works 3rd shift (midnight - 7) so he doesn't get much rest at all. He started having them when he was on Christmas/New Years break from work, when he was getting normal people sleep. From what I have read, that is usually what triggers them.
Until now, he never took any medicine for anything.
 :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »
His diet is the same as it has always been.
What does this mean?

Sometimes just because a symptom comes on suddenly, doesn't mean the cause hasn't been there for some time.  The body is an amazing machine and is able to tolerate alot of abuse before it begins to tire and break down.  Sometimes it takes many  months even years before the body becomes toxic enough to cause severe symptoms. 

Does he eat alot of sugar?  Lots of carbs?  Processed/refined grains?  Foods in a box?  Frozen Dinners?  Fast food?  Soy?  Hydrogenated fats?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:55:06 AM »
His diet is good, but not great. We don't eat out, or eat frozen meals. He does like sugar! We are going to a neurologist tomorrow, I'm afraid he will give us more medicine. I think the medicines are worse than the headache. (Nausea, vomiting, constipation, being tired)
He went to the chiropractor last week, and will go again tomorrow. He doesn't know if that helped any at all, but he hasn't had any BAD headaches since then. The chiro recommended cold packs, if he was comfortable with them.  He is hoping this 'cluster' is almost over and they won't return for many years.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »
If he eats alot of sugar, you might look into candida as a possibly contributor.  Also, how is his fat intake?  How much and what kinds of fats does he eat?

Here are some links with some things you may want to research further.  You may need to treat hubby for some kind of body toxicity and correct his fat intake.

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
Mercury Amalgam Fillings
Boosting Your Immune System:  Avoiding Illness (about Fatty Acids)
  My favorite herb book!!

freshisbest

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:34:49 AM »
" CAYENNE (Capsicum) - Blocks production of " substance P" which triggers pain & inflammation. Used successfully to treat cluster headaches."
(Earl Mindell's Herb Bible)