Author Topic: Oil-pulling, Anyone?  (Read 77049 times)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
Re: Oil-pulling, Anyone?
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2009, 02:52:49 PM »
Ok, I just finished reading the book and I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend ya'll read it!  ;D Especially those of you who started and then stopped for various reasons. The author has a section in the back where he addresses common myths and questions, and in the last couple of chapters everything that I could think of that was asked or discussed here, was addressed in the book except for what HB said about the liver etc.

I will try to address some of the questions that I didn't really see answers to while everything is still fresh on my mind!!  ::)

1. is it safe during pregnancy?

Yes! It actually may improve the health of your child as  the oil pulling relieves stress on your bodies immune system.

2. Do you have to use a certain oil?

No, ANY oil can be used even whole milk! It does not have to be a healthy oil either! But a healthy oil is best, and the author recommends coconut oil, in any form, but again recommends virgin as the healthiest is best, but it does work on ANY oil.

3. Does it draw bacteria from the blood stream?

No, the way oil pulling works is by drawing the the bacteria from in the mouth, into the oil, and then swishing the mouth with salt water.

Ok now I will post some things that I saw that you should or should not do.

1. Do not spit it out in any drain, spit it out in the trash. Eventually over time the oils will clog your drains.

2. If you have to stop because of gagging reaction, something makes you laugh etc. Start again, just at the time you stopped. The full 20 minutes is VERY IMPORTANT.

3. Many will feel like they are creating more problems by oil pulling, such as the symptoms many of you felt, but those were all healing crisis and will pass. Most cleansing symptoms will be gone after 2 weeks.

4. It may take up to a year or more for some serious problems to be taken care of. Most non serious issues are taken care of after a few months.

5. Oil pulling is not a cure, it is a way of allowing your body to heal.

That is all I can remember right now... If anyone can think of something else let me know, if I can't remember it I can read the book again and see if I can find the answer!

Oh and the full title of the book is Oil Pulling Therapy-Detoxifying and Healing the Body Through oral Cleansing by Dr. Bruce Fife

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »
I just received an email that reminded me of the biggest problem most had which was about the fillings falling out.

The filling will only fall out if they were loose to begin with, some were put in by a bad dentist and were never in good to begin with, and others had become lose over time, the oil may be the last "straw" so to say to the filling falling out. The author says that that is actually a good thing because if the filling was loose then bacteria could get into the tooth and cause decay. He says that most people found decay underneath of the filling because of this problem.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info...I'll have to see if our library has the book.  By the way...what's the animal in you avatar?

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
A baby dove :)

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2010, 04:30:45 AM »
Is there anyone that still does this?  I have coconut oil at home and tried it this morning.  It tastes fine, but after about 10 minutes, my mouth was so full (probably from saliva mfg) that I had to spit it out.  I didn't notice my teeth any whiter, just smoother (oilier?)  I do have problems with gums receding (or separating?), so I'm hoping this helps.  I was thinking of having my 10 yo try this bcz he's been sick with a stomach type thing (not throwing up) for about 5 days now.  The coconut oil is tasteless, so that shouldn't be a problem for him (he's normally really sensitive to taste - even of regular swallowable vitamins).

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2010, 05:03:04 AM »
I haven't had time to do it in a while but was just thinking about it the other day.  I think it's a good deep mouth cleaning and somewhat a decongestant.  It will whiten your teeth over time.  Not just with one time.  The saliva is what your mouth was full of.  That helps you know when you're 'done.'  I don't know that I'd do it for a stomach thing.  It could make him nauseous and want to throw up.  If I were to use CO for a stomach issue, I'd have him eat it (it's antibacterial and antifungal), but only if it was unrefined.  If yours has no taste, it may not be unrefined/virgin.  It has never really helped my gums stop receding but I do think it cleans out the deeper areas. 

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2010, 06:17:08 AM »
I should be able to get the virgin stuff from a friend.  How would you suggest I get it down him?  I don't think he'll like the flavor.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
If he doesn't like coconut but likes candy bars, you can make an 'Almond Joy.'  Mix the CO with some carob or chocolate, add some stevia or honey and nuts or nut butter if you want and put it in the freezer for a few minutes.  Break it into chunks and let him eat it.  If his stomach is too messed up, just give him a spoonful and have him swallow it.  It's much easier to get down if it's liquid than solid, for me.  I don't care for coconut at all but I can take it if I need to.  You might check the CO thread for recipes and suggestions.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:25 AM »
Isn't raw honey antiviral or fungal or something too?

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2010, 11:52:01 AM »
Yes, it is.  But I'd still go easy on it for lots of reasons.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
What do you mean by that, specifically?  Bcz of his issues?  I believe BHS recommends 1 tsp raw honey with a half a garlic clove.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
Sorry...I don't know his specific issues.  I'd just stay away from too many sugars of any kind.  Especially when he's having stomach troubles.  I'm assuming his stomach issues are viral.  It just made me think of the food poisoning we had here at our house over the holidays!  You might look at other threads for more specific issues since we're somewhat off subject  ;)  or you can PM me if I can help more  ;D

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
Just wanted to post my experience with oil pulling.  I started doing it before having 4 amalgam fillings removed.  I did it for about a week and definitely noticed whiter teeth.  However, I started having major sensitivity in one of my teeth that had a crown on it.  The sensitivity went away when I stopped the oil pulling.

Fast forward a year.  I went to my holistic dentist and that very same crowned tooth was getting some weird electrical readings on one of his testing devices.  He said it meant there was either mercury or decay under the crown.  Once removed, he discovered there was decay under the crown caused by inadequate cleaning when the crown was placed many years ago.

I think it's very interesting that the oil pulling revealed the one place I had decay in my mouth.